Options

Paris Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thisisben - The route in Paris will be busy, but there are only a couple areas were it really bottlenecks due the road narrowing. Also running near pacers can be an issue, as they will have crowds of runners gathered around them.

The start is much easier at Paris compared to London due to the staggered start of the pens and the fact the roads early on are all very wide. In my opinion it's far easier to get into your pace in Paris than London, but my experience of London was one where the roads in the opening few miles were so crowded that getting into any rhythm was impossible.

Soupy600 - You pay good money to run 26.2 miles. The point of claiming sanity may have already passed!
  • Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    is anyone doing the 20 miler on Saturday afternoon at Eton Dorney lake?  I entered it earlier this week as I was worried running 20 on my own would result in me quitting and getting a bus home.  6 laps of the lake, probably not the most exciting.
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    I started right at the front of the last pen last year (literally on the line), and don't remember being slowed by anything other than my own legs and supporters. This had the added advantage of ducking under the line to use the toilets while waiting, after the previous pen had cleared and there was no queue.  
  • Options
    Does anyone know if you are allowed to run with hydration vests? I've been training with mine and using tailwind which is working really well. I struggle
    to take enough water on from bottles/cups at the stations and finding it works much better for me this way, even if it is extra weight. Can't see anything where you can't but didn't know if it was a security issue going in with water?
  • Options
    Soupy600Soupy600 ✭✭✭

@kellyr I hope to do the same so hope there's no issues

@eggyh73 my sanity is long gone after last year. I'm away this weekend so long run tonight of 16ish also with Easter just before Paris i'll be limited to running time so don't think I'll be over doing it with a 16 next week and walking the finish. It's a 6hr event so will have plenty of company. 

• Options
    Thanks for the comments on bottlenecks and crowding. That’s really good news about having space to run at one’s own pace. I suppose the risk is that you go away faster than you should, whereas at London you are naturally held back from starting too quick due to the masses of people in your way. Will just have to pace sensibly!

Tomorrow is my last mega run (20 miles). Exciting, but a bit scary because I have basically undertrained due to my injury of a few weeks ago. Fingers crossed it goes alright. Presumably many of us have our last mega runs this weekend? What do people have planned and is anyone running anywhere pretty/interesting?

Are many others on this thread travelling out completely solo? I am and wondered at how it will affect things to have no personal support. I remember the thought of seeing my family at mile 22 really driving me on last year in London. It will be good to see people from this forum later in the day.
  • Options
    I've got friends and family out but think we should definitley arrange to meet up for drinks post race. We will deserve it!! Be good to meet at breakfast run too for those that are doing it :)
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    To those running with hydration packs they are allowed. I’ve seen a good few runners wearing them at Paris.

Thisisben - Paris is one to watch your speed at the start. It’s wide open roads and ever so slightly downhill at the start line. It’s easy to get carried away and go off like an idiot.
  • Options
    Last long run, 20m, for me to this weekend.  Dorney Lakes sounds like my cup of tea but my LRs are usually 7am or 9pm, as anything during the day is already spoken for.

Ben, I had family out there last year but they found the lure of Notre Dame far more interesting than looking out for me so I didn’t see them until afterwards, a bit deflating to be honest, c’est la vie (getting into the spirit already).
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I brought lots of fans last year, and also found the crowd in general was very supportive (my Help for Heroes Union Jack vest helped, too). There was also great cameraderie between the runners, which was particularly appreciated in the grim depths of Bois de Boulogne (miles 20-25).
    Has anyone run Rome? Any tips? 
  • Options
    nimpynimpy ✭✭
    @Soupy600 & @Eggyh73 I reckon I'll run it, or run/walk most likely, certainly near the end lol, I won't be getting a PB, but its another one down! :)
  • Options
    nimpynimpy ✭✭
    I'm in the Violet pen (optimistic) bib no 29598
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    It's fairly normal for a pacer to bank a little time, on my weekend 20 mile pacing (target was 10min miles) i had about 50 seconds in the bag after 2 miles as it had a nice downhill start. I would always run a little quicker downhill and take it easy back up hills. 

Miles 3-18:
    3 miles 10-20 seconds quicker than pace
    9 miles 0-10 seconds quicker than pace
    4 miles 0-4 seconds slower

These were the miles per min on my watch, and the course was measuring about 0.1 longer than my watch (most of that appeared early). So i hit the last two miles with 1min 45 seconds ahead. Milton Keynes is up hill for the last 2 miles and has a very steep hill at 19.5 miles so that was probably a little quicker than i would normally have paced to 18. Ran a 10:20 and 10:44 to come home (normally walk across the last few metres) to finish about 40 seconds under the time.

As has been mentioned there are some awful pacers around. Lots of events will double team you and I did a 10km with a guy who wouldn't slow down! We were doing 50 min time, so 8 min miles. The course was long by about .1m and he was trying to push us over a min ahead, so that was nearly 20 seconds per mile quickly. If your not sure on your pacing that speed breaks people.

Paris has had some dubious pacers in the past and they get very busy with people following. 

• Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Pasta Pappas

In previous years we've had a pasta meet-up the night before the run at Pasta Pappas near the bottom of the Champs Elysees. There's not many 'regular' forum runners this year but it would seem wrong not to carry on the tradition. Things will get busy in Paris on the Saturday night and Pasta Pappas is a good value place and a quick place to eat. 

We'll need to book, last year we must have had about 50 people there so they can deal with friends and family as well as us runners. It will need to be early (5-6pm meet) to cope with the number of people.

If your interested let me know and we'll start some organising.

It's a good time for supporters to meet-up as they can travel together to the first couple of locations.
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Frog Revolution Bastille

Next on the social scene has been the post run drinks. This has traditionally been at the Frog Revolution pub - an Irish bar at Bastille. Good pub (with plenty of seats), excellent burgers and easy to get to. 

We've normally just booked a little space for a couple of drink on the Sunday evening. Normally theres a free drink for runners.

Again shout if your interested.  
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Awwwww seeing Pasta Papas and the Frog being planned makes me wish I was back again this year. Good on you Pistol101 for keeping the tradition alive.

The Frog Revolution is a great wee pub. I'd really recommend going for your post marathon celebration. The burgers were really good in there too.

Pasta Papas is a good way to put faces to names and to spend time with others who will have pre-race nerves. I booked that last year. I can't remember the exact number, but was over 50 people in total.

These meet ups are great for us runners, but can also be good for any supporters that are with you. Particularly partners that are going to be by themselves during the race. It can be good for them to find people to spend time with and support as a group.

I'd really recommend trying to attend these meet ups if possible. I travel alone and through Paris and these meet ups I've made great friends and had wonderful experiences in Paris and beyond. Just be careful about the friends you make though, as you could end up being talked into running an ultra marathon in South Africa!
  • Options
    Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Excellent work Pistol101. It is a really good idea to go along to Pasta Papa and put some faces to names. It’s also good to soothe the nerves, ask questions to people who’ve done it before and confirm that yes, that tickling cough you’ve had for two days is just taper madness and not the first signs of bubonic plague.
    I’ll be missing Paris for the first time in 9 years, either running or supporting. And I’ve also been talked into many varieties of running madness, so be careful what you drink and who you talk to in the Frog...
  • Options
    I love a good social so will be there. I'll confirm numbers as I have friends out and parents but all May not want to come. I like to surround my running with food and drink, actually I think it's the reason I do it ha.
  • Options
    Pasta and drinks sounds good! I’m travelling with my girlfriend and family so may be a few of us but be good to get some last minute reassurance from those who have done this race and be around fellow nervous runners!
  • Options
    Both sound good to me!
  • Options
    Pistol101 many thanks for organising, I'm definitely up for a pre/ post meet up
  • Options
    StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    Good morning all, I just wanted to post this link here - https://www.francetvinfo.fr/economie/transports/sncf/calendrier-mode-d-action-negociations-on-vous-explique-la-greve-perlee-a-la-sncf_2659606.html
    These are SNCF strikes scheduled (but not yet guaranteed) to take place over the next few months - note that 8th and 9th April are scheduled to be strike days! This won't affect local Paris metro and bus services but RER trains are likely to be on restricted timetables, so if anyone is relying on the train for the airport on these days, leave extra time or consider a taxi!
  • Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    thanks Steph.  
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    The Airfrance buses from the airports are pretty good.
  • Options
    Hey guys! Sorry, I've not been receiving notifications recently for some reason. I'd definitely be interested in both Pasta Papas and Frog Revolution. I'm travelling there by myself so keen to hang out! There's a couple of other Heathside runners coming but they're bringing partners/family so might not be able to join but I'll ask them. I'm staying near the start/finish line for anyone that would like to hang out. I'll be in Paris from early afternoon on the Saturday until later Monday afternoon :) Liam
  • Options
    Hey guys! Sorry, I've not been receiving notifications recently for some reason. I'd definitely be interested in both Pasta Papas and Frog Revolution. I'm travelling there by myself so keen to hang out! There's a couple of other Heathside runners coming but they're bringing partners/family so might not be able to join but I'll ask them. I'm staying near the start/finish line for anyone that would like to hang out. I'll be in Paris from early afternoon on the Saturday until later Monday afternoon :) Liam
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Medal alert! They've released a picture on Social Media - looks good.
  • Options
    Soupy600Soupy600 ✭✭✭

The medal looks good getting very real now, How's everyone's taper going ? I done a marathon on Wednesday - 16miles as a training run then walked ran the rest. Feeling good and ready for paris!!!

Pistol101 put me down for 2 for the frog revolution bastille please not sure what were doing the night before just yet.

• Options
    StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    The medal looks great - it really is coming round fast now.
    I'm feeling quite fatigued now so really got to look after myself during the taper - lots of early nights and time in the Jacuzzi and sauna at the gym, extra vitamins and Echinacea to try and stay healthy!! I'm so excited but every time I think about it, my stomach does a flip!!
  • Options
    Pistol101 better late than not at all for me on the forum this year! Pop me down for Pasta Papas and I'll be coming along to the Frog for a drink.  :):)