Options

The Thousand Mile Club - 2018

Comments

• Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Likewise no miles to report but just wanted to wish good luck to anyone running tomorrow be it London or elsewhere. 

I really would like to do London one day. 
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Just finished my last scheduled LSR at about 10am (I live in East London) and that was hot! Really feel for all those running at the moment, especially Nell, she's gone from running in a deluge at Boston to a heatwave in London.

Think we may be in for be in for a race report to remember, hope so  :o

YTD   416.49

• Options
    I thought I'd get it in before all the epic tails from London come in. Well done to everyone who raced there today, that looked like a tough race, looking forward to race reports.

Steven, 600 miles is knocking on the door, well done

Local race for me today, surprisingly tough with a bit of trail and road. Managed 3rd in age group...Bronze bling.

536 miles YTD

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    8 miles for me today at about 1pm was more than enough thank you! Couldn’t have contemplated a marathon in those conditions!

307 YTD 
  • Options
    I had no choice
    Did 4:57:41
    18 seconds faster than last year
  • Options
    Friday 10.11 miles
    Saturday 8.64 miles (including Parkrun)
    Sunday London Marathon
    YTD = 949.24 miles
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Well done to Harmander, looks like you were on the money with the pace making.

Well done to Hobie, I've never had a running medal of any type other than those given for finishing, so third in an age category sounds great.

Nell: I hope you haven't fallen out with us? Long time without posting. I hope London and Boston have been great experiences and everything such an endeavour deserved to be.

YTD: 366.3
  • Options
    Thanks all,

Little Nell maybe on her way back up North today - she did finish yesterday.

Decided to finish off clearing the back garden instead of a recovery run today - got puffy eyes from the heat yesterday.
    Booked two marathons for May,
    Three in June and three in July

Am trying to reach 150 by July next year and currently on 131
  • Options
    Afternoon,

Still some great mileages being logged, well done everyone.

Steven, Surely over the 600 mile mark by now? Well done in advance.

Hobie, Bronze bling and 3rd in age, great running.

Andrew, Over the 300 mark, keep it going.

Harmander, Great pacing on Sunday, especially in those conditions. Where are the new marathons you have booked, surely I must be doing one of them.

As for me, a fair few runs to add, along with yesterday's St George's Day Marathon in Kent organised by SVN Running.
    It was a lovely day for a run, however due to a military event the route was changed from the seafront to a wildlife park. It was again a multi lap event this time consisting of 8 x 3.28 mile laps, with two fairly large hills each lap. I had a great run and really enjoyed this one and finished in 4.01.16 (official time still to be confirmed)

Next one is on Friday May 11th and back to the Thames path.

Stats for last week

17.04.18 - 12.5
    20.04.18 - 6.25
    23.04.18 - 26.2
    24.04.18 - 5 (Nice recovery run this morning)

YTD = 441.25
  • Options

6th May - planes trains and auto's (hare and tortoise) flitchway
    12th May- Luxembourg

2nd June = dambusters challenge - saxon shore - birchington coastal 
    9th June (sat) - explorer marathon - phoenix - walton on thames to hampton court
     or
    10th June (sun) - thames path plotter - phoenix - walton on thames to hampton court
    23 June - Midnight Marathon - Dartford

8th July - Hever Castle (pacing 5hrs) - castletriathlon series
    15th July - Cyclopark Ghost Marathon - saxon shore - gravesend kent
    28th July - Twilight - nice work - redbridge
  • Options
    Or maybe not, but I am sure we will catch up at some point in the year.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

That marathon list is bonkers!

3 miles for me this morning to just have a light turnover of the legs.

310 YTD

PS - Nell, have you fallen off the face of the earth?! We are sitting here waiting for reports damnit!! ;-)

• Options
    AndrewD,

I know,

I am mad and it gets worse in the cooler months.
  • Options
    Felt weird during 10.11 mile recovery run last night - the weather was the cause.
    YTD = 959.35 miles
  • Options
    Hello you lovely mille milers!

First off - very sorry for the extended hiatus in posting... been slow to get my arse back in gear after epic marathoning adventures!!! :lol: And catching up on my spreadsheets has been a nightmare! :smiley:

Great, consistent running and mileage logging by all. Sorry I won't be able to name check everyone... my post would fill an entire page! Some highlights though...

Huge congrats. to our newest ultrarunner, Hobie - awesome stuff!

And also massive congratulations to Andrew for a fab. new 10K PB... 1 min. off your previous time is a nice big chunk!

Donnie - LOL! :lol: you are funny... loved your Lincolnshire comment. Funnily enough, my in-laws live in North Lincolnshire, near Scunthorpe, and it can feel a bit like a marathon slog to get over the M62.

David - kudos on your own engineering company... hubby was long time self-employed and I know it takes a lot of focus. Thanks for quenching my nosiness and putting myself and Dubai out of our misery :smile:

Was, indeed, lovely to see Harmander at the VMLM Expo last week. We had our pic taken together but in the one on my phone I'm pulling the most peculiar face so, Harmander, you have my permission to post one from your phone if you are so minded and there's an acceptable one!

Mileage update and race reports to follow in a separate post - to try to avoid a "wall of text" post :grin:

• Options
    Welcome Back Little Nell.
    Was great to see you at the Expo
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Nell: Excellent to have you back on board, I was getting slightly concerned. 

YTD: 374.3
  • Options
    So... to race reports...

A tale of two cities (or two city marathons, at least) - it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness... and wasn't that the truth!!!

Never could I have imagined two more contrasting race weather conditions if I'd tried :neutral:

Boston - the coldest for over 30 years: starting at -1 deg. C in Hopkinton and rising to about 6 deg. C in downtown Boston, but the 25 mph gusting headwinds made it feel like -5 and the driving, increasingly torrential rain made for the most challenging conditions I have ever run in - EVER! No amount of training could have prepared me for the conditions! All the clothing that I had worn to the start intending to discard once under way I actually wore for the whole race - two pairs of gloves and a long-sleeved, fleece-lined top that I switched to be under my club vest.

Despite the atrocious weather, the crowds were still relatively large and vociferous - and full of typical American positivity :smile: . I had, fortuitously, bumped into an American work colleague of mine in the corral and we ran together up until about 16 miles or so. I did fall victim to the forewarned running a bit too fast on the initial downhill sections but was feeling good until we were passed by a guy who loudly announced that "the next 5 miles would suck like hell and then the final 5 miles were OK". This seemed to flick a switch in my head and I suddenly started to struggle. My colleague carried on at the same steady pace and I slowed - but, luckily, not so much that I failed to make part 1 of my A target, which was back-to-back sub-4:00 hours... finishing in 3:57:02. Pleased with that since it turns out that 23 of the elites dropped out due to the weather, including Galen Rupp and Deena Castor!

So to London... via a first class BA flight (I cashed in a load of air miles to ensure my legs could get the most rest possible) and a glass of "champagne" - I should say "sparkling wine" - from my native Cornwall :grin:

Quads were tired and left calf was particularly grumbly... but I felt surprisingly good - all things considered. Popped along to the Expo on Thursday to try to avoid the planned DLR strike (although it was called off just as I left the ExCel!) and met with the inimitable Mr. Harmander Singh. Also invested in a half-hour massage... the best thirty quid I've spent in a long time! A lovely young man sorted me out (hahaha... ooops!) and my legs felt great.

Sunday morning dawned, as everyone now knows, with the mercury rising... along with everyone's stress levels! Yet more fortuitous meetings meant I bumped into a family from my club on the train. We went our separate ways at Blackheath and I made my way to the green GFA start. Walked in, looked around, and immediately stumbled upon two more club mates, then another turned up - so there were four of us chatting together before the start! :smile:

Set off fairly steadily and found an unexpected downhill section pretty soon after the green start... quads had a few comments to make about that state of affairs! The crowds were amazing and I had a great time high-fiving kids and even some adults, smiling, and taking in the atmosphere. It was incredibly hot but I didn't find it too uncomfortable... followed the advice of "drink, drench, drain, drop" with the water. The Cutty Sark appeared shockingly soon and I was enjoying myself. I managed to sustain a fairly even pace up and was on track for part 2 of my A target, until about 20 miles when my legs pointed I was being stupid and there was nothing left in the tank. My quads were dead and I just couldn't maintain my leg speed. I felt fine - I just couldn't run at my previous pace. It was sad to see so many folks getting medical assistance at the sides of the course... the conditions were as tough as Boston but at the other end of the spectrum!

This time I had not quite banked enough time to hit my A target and crossed the line for a 4:05:50... barely 6 minutes outside my target. My B target had been a cumulative time less than 8:30:00... so, with a combined time of 8:02:52, I smashed my B target and I'm pretty happy with that.

And... that is that. Sorry! I promise I won't ever write such a long post again :blush:

Mileage was: 4.15 mi., 3.26 mi. and 26.42 mi. in Boston, with 3.19 mi. and 26.52 miles in London, along with the previously unlogged training runs of 5.06 mi., 12.07 mi. and 5.24 mi. before I left for Boston makes...

YTD: 533.55 miles.

• Options
    Brilliant Little Nell.
  • Options
    lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Amazing Nell! That is one to speak about in years to come!!

You should be incredibally proud of yourself...
  • Options
    lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    So inspired by all the tales of monster marathons over the past few days!

I am going to finally plan in my first and hopefully not last marathon, I have now run 7 halves over the past 3 years with another 3 planned this year. But I think its time to take the plunge and get one done.

23rd 3.69 miles

25th 3.58 miles

YTD 227.86
  • Options
    Lilly61

VLM 2019 entries open on Monday

Go for it

• Options
    There will soon be a VLM 2019 Thread after June foer fist time marathoners and first time London Marathoners.

I have asked if anyone who withdrew this year to start it as it would not have the same impact if I started it.

You can check out this years discussions on VLM 2018 to inspire you.
  • Options
    lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Harmander I will enter then! I am happy to do a charity run if I dont get in yhrough the ballots. 

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Can I ask a question without the risk of being shot down in flames - why are people so obsessed with doing the London Marathon?/ I know you get the sights, crowds etc, but surely it isn't the race which gives you the best shot at doing the best possible marathon time, for a number of reasons:

Crowds - must mean the first mile or so is slow??

Having to queue for over an hour to even cross the start line - must mean you are knackered before you even start?!

Timing - as this year showed, late April can be pretty warm!

Not to mention the hassle of starting and finishing in different places, not being guaranteed to get into the race etc.

To me, if I was ever going to do a marathon it certainly wouldn't be London (or any of the big city marathons for that matter). if I was going to dedicate 3 months (or more) to marathon training, I would want to give myself the best chance to get a good time and would do a smaller marathon in March/October.

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Anyway, well done Nell on battling through two such extreme sets of weather conditions! Not sure which one I would have found more unpleasant!

I have been laid low with a bug for the past couple of days, so haven't run since Tuesday morning.

• Options
    AndrewD,
    I think we are all different and I respect every one's personal perspective even if I do not share it.
    I can therefore only talk about my motivation for running generally and the London marathon in particular.
    It is not a secret that I was a naughty child and always in trouble at school - I passed my 11+ to gain a place at the local Grammar school but my mum couldn't trust me to behave myself on the bus journey on my own so sent me to the nearest comprehensive with our neighbours kids - it happened to be (then) a dump school and I got bored easily.  I nearly got expelled three times but my PE teacher was a bronze medalist at the previous Olympic Games and suggested I expend my excess energy in pursuit of sports - including running. From then on I represented my educational institutions in hockey, football, cricket and of course athletics.  In 1979 I ran 10,000m in 30:14 which was just outside the Moscow 1980 Olympics qualifying time.  Undeterred I started running for the love of it and helping others. In 1983, I came runner up in Student Superstars.
    After being inspired by my uncle who took up marathon running when aged 38, I took on the half marathons and marathon challenge. I missed out on the first for of the Great North Runs (where my uncle is one of the less than 100 ever presents) and the London Marathons by running my first of both in 1985 and have the unique record of having run both every year ever since. 
    So, for me, running the London Marathon is an integral part of my life as I hope to keep this streak going till I am 74 as I will have run both races 50 times each (God willing). 
    My fastest London marathon time is 4:09:23 which was the first and only time I went for time, after that I just ran to enjoy myself and raise awareness of the charities I ran for.  Nowadays I continue my passion to help others by pacing.  I know I am not going to get PB's at my age but hope to help others get theirs - be it at parkrun or any of the 25 other marathons or half marathons I do each year.
    I have now run over 1100 actual races since leaving school in 1977.
    Getting a PB for each course is in my opinion just a rewarding.
    Hope I haven't bored everyone by this long post.
  • Options
    Corrections and further comment.

I missed out on the first four of the Great North Runs (where my uncle is one of the less than 100 ever presents) and the London Marathons.

On Sunday I caught up with my uncle's total of 131 marathons - he is 74 now and only runs one or two a year, I intend to run at least 16 this year.

My marathon PB is 3:11:36 at the Wolverhampton marathon on 31 March 1984 - I don't think I will be able to run that time ever again - even if it was all downhill and I was the only runner.

My average time for 125 marathons (the other 6 are Ultras) at the moment is 5:25:48 and includes 9 slow ones with Fauja Singh and the 9 hours 59 minutes and 57 seconds with the late Buster Martin in 2008.

My next target is reaching 150 marathon by end of July 2019 when I reach my 60th birthday. 19 marathons i 15 months is a fair challenge methinks
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Sorry Harmander, my comment wasn't really aimed at you, as I can see why you continue to do London (especially given the context above), what I really meant was why anyone considering a marathon for the first time (or indeed at any time when they are of an age where they could set a pb) would consider London.

Maybe I am just very selfish in that I don't see any point in racing unless you stand a chance of doing your absolute best time for your current fitness. Even to the extent that I hate starting further back at a parkrun, as it adds vital seconds on to my recorded time! (Disclaimer - I do usually start on the 2nd or 3rd row, as I don't want to be one of those idiots who starts on the front row and then gets in everyone's way!)

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

To clarify - my comment wasn't 'aimed' at anyone on here, just a general observation about how London is seen as 'The' Marathon by the media etc