Options

The Thousand Mile Club - 2018

Comments

• Options
    Depends on whether I use the same for different terrain races/training.

I tend to have about four 'active' pairs and wear the least dirtiest for the race if I haven't cleaned them up from last use..

Trial shoes tend to last the longest but that maybe because I hate running in them or trail races - only 16 trail marathon and an ultra trail marathon out of 140 .  All of my 260 half marathons have been road races.

I always think, I will get another race out of these before they get relegated for gardening use.

I don't note which ones I am wearing during training.

I just break in a new pair when the hard surface wears out.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Currently rotating 4/5 pairs in various stages of usefulness. Disconcerting that two pairs have now got holes on top of toe; at 500', with plenty of running left in the soles. Need to try a repair, otherwise too uncomfortable for training.
    Just the Parkrun to add to this week's total, so 1127 YTD. Happy to stay under 26mins, and keep the AG over 70%. Happy running everybody.
    Get well soon SM2.
  • Options
    Another 10.19 miles including Parkrun makes 
    YTD = 1897.46 miles
  • Options
    I rotate between 6 pairs of Saucony Kinvaras, all sitting outside and get washed after every run, they dry quickly here! I've prob at least another 6 pairs in boxes. I buy them up in the sales.

21.9 9.29
    23.9 11.25

YTD 1275.99 miles
  • Options
    Oh and I have no idea how many miles I do with a pair, you just know when they need changed out.
  • Options
    Second run of the day

3.15 miles

YTD 1279.14 miles

cooling fown nicely, 36 degrees this morning and 41 degrees for this afternoons run!!

• Options
    Wow, that’s hot!

3.5 here, so up to 608 YTD 
  • Options
    Ran 16.94 miles in the really wet weather this morning at 98.2% of pacing pace
    YTD = 1914.41 miles
  • Options
    A belated Happy New Year Little Nell,

Defo go for a saveloy at the GNR this year if I win any little wager with you - I am only 22 miles ahead of you in the first week lol.
    naima
  • Options
    Message caught in a time warp naima?

8.07 miles

YTD 1287.21 miles 
  • Options

Another 11 miles of Canal towpath yesterday before we travelled home...I really don't like flat.

Back to Hilly West Wales now so planning one tonight to get back into ups & downs in preparation for Snowdonia.

1105 miles YTD

• Options
    Pancake flat here Hobie and I have a trail marathon in Nepal in 7 weeks!
  • Options
    Ha, so you've been training perfectly then Dubai, pan flat and hot as Satans running shoes...ideal training for Nepal...which sounds awesome by the way, have a great one.
  • Options
    Took took a 30 min drive out to one of the parks, 5 loops, a few small undulations, 37 degrees and no shade.

but 14.06 miles done

YTD 1301.27 miles 
  • Options
    Hobie, I’ve never been to Nepal but am def looking forward to it. I can safely say it will be my slowest marathon, up to 9000ft. I’m going to soak up the place and get lots of pictures on the run.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    14.3 in 2 hours taking my ytd to 838.8

Marathon in York now 2 and a half weeks away. Aiming at 20 on Thursday and another 14 next Tuesday followed by a few short evening runs. 

Stratgy for these is run at marathon pace and my final mile must be my quickest mile. 

Target for York is sub 4 hours. I've three previous marathons, all this event, all recent, times ranging from 3.55 to 3.59!

Current concern is I'm not injured and training has gone well. 
  • Options

Out of interest who here is on Strava?

If anyone wishes to stalk me I'm on there Fraser McMillan (Wales, UK)

I failed to get out last night, got very bogged down with boys maths homework (not my strong point).

• Options
    Donnie2,

Current concern is I'm not injured and training has gone well.

love it.

I got two bits of good news this morning:

I got a ballot place for Tokyo 2019 - this will complete my marathon majors.

I got news that I will be on the GNR pacers list next year.

They say all things happen in threes -  what numbers shall I choose fr EuroMillions tonight?

Lol
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Lots of interesting things happening here!
    Donnie 2 'all at marathon pace'?? for your last long runs, with only two weeks to go? Have to admit to doing quite a lot of my training runs at mar.pace, but that was several years ago. Yesterday was my last 'long' run (16.5') and I intended to run the second half at mara.pace, but it was never going to happen. I could always call it a 'virtuous' slow run, as recommended, but it was just a case of not being fully recovered from last week's cold, and recent marathon.
    Dubai r. would love to hear more of Nepal...just 7 wks away. Can't imagine running at that altitude.
    Harmander  Plenty of good news for you. Congrats. on your Tokyo place. Only slightly envious!
    Yesterday's 16.5' and today's 10' brings me to 1147 YTD. 
    Probably just one more, short run this week; Chester is only 12 days away.
    Enjoy the good weather everyone.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Correction...1154' YTD
  • Options
    Hey guys,

Sorry I have not been on as much lately, what with work being crazy and dealing with some personal issues I just havebt been on much.

Having read through though looks like some great achievments are being had by everyone on here! Congratulations to everyone for hitting goals and on recent races. 

I am currently in Greece on hols but have still managed to get a few run outs in before Windsor half on Sunday.

Its been hot and humid, nowhere near Dubai's sort of thing but still a change in conditions for me and it has been enjoyable, I have been swimming a fair bit as well which I have found is aiding recovery a lot, and the correct sleep is a real eye opener as well! 

22.09 3.38 miles
    24.09 5.08 miles
    26.09 3.11 miles

YTD 479.65 so with another last run out tomorrow and Winsor on Sunday I will hopefully crack 500 by October, which I know compared to many is not groundbreaking miles but for me it is a real milestone and gives me the motivation to really push on and aim for my renewed target of 700 now. 
  • Options
    Enjoy Greece Lilly! Had a great holiday in Crete about 20 years ago, last minute, cheapest ever holiday through teletext holidays, remember them??!! Really fancy the Athens marathon sometime.

26.9 3.00
    27.9 9.05

YTD 1313.32 miles
  • Options
    A couple of runs this week so far has got me up to 615.5 YTD. I have a 5 mile race on Sunday, so I'll be having a couple of quieter days to end this week in order to try and start the race relatively refreshed.
  • Options

Final Running Club Summer Handicap race for me last night...it's 2.6 miles and somehow I managed to be last starter so had nearly 5 minutes to make up on the first to head off...just about managed to catch everyone and came in 2nd with fastest time of 17 mins 04 secs...(6:33/minute) nice way to end the series.

And a nice number to post here of 1111 miles YTD.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.

• Options
    YTD: 838.2 + 2 + 18 = 858.2

Today was planned as a 20 mile per marathon run in three hours. Wanted to run 7 miles in the 1st hour, 7 in the second and six in the final one. Felt very tired in the final leg and left hamstring was feeling tight so pulled out at 18 in 2 hr 35. I probably could have completed two more in 25 mins (my last mile was 9.04) but I didn't think risk v reward was in my favour.

Mr MM: I have no idea about training pace etc. My logic is that the longest I ever try and run is a once a year marathon, so why would I prepare for this by running shorter distances at a slower pace, hence I always run at quicker than marathon race pace. I've honestly never researched this, is this approach unusual or, worse, inadvisable? 
  • Options
    Donnie2, received wisdom is that you run your long slow runs at marathon pace plus 1MpM, so if you're aiming for a 4hr or 9MpM pace, the long slow runs should be at 10MpM. 

If you run a LSR within 3 weeks of the actual marathon at marathon pace the theory is that you're body just will not recover in time - hence the common quote " I was fine on my last LSR, but lost it on the marathon at 22(or 18, or 20, or whatever)".

Just a theory, probably Harmander could give you a better opinion, but from my experience, long runs slow, short runs fast is the best policy in training to avoid the dreaded wall. A bit simplistic but as a basic principle has worked for me.

Dunno if anyone else here has a different opinion, Dubai Runner? perhaps, be interesting to find out, and look forward to hearing how the actual marathon pans out.

My own running not going too badly, post op, and have run a couple of halves and pleased to be back under 2hours straight away, but yet more hols and celebrations (oh the sheer hell of it all) have dented the mileage, so YTD     658.18M
  • Options
    Hi everyone, I've not posted in here since February as I picked up a pretty awful injury which kept me out of running until late June, it's good to see people progressing well and I'm pretty much back to fitness now but 550 miles in three months is way beyond my ability so I'll hopefully be back for another go at the 1000 mile challenge in January!

2018: 452 miles.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back, P.Matt...I'm quite new on here but have seen you around. I'm glad that you are almost back. 'Make haste slowly' is the expression that comes to mind. Enjoy the last quarter of the year.
    Hobie   well done on the Handicap run; sounds 'fun'!
    Donnie 2 Well done for pulling out before you made things worse; hope all is going well.
    I'm with senid M on your training runs; leave something in the bank for race day, and don't court injury/fatigue, especially in the last 2/3 weeks before a race.

Really couldn't resist an easy 4' run in yesterday's sunshine by the sea. 1158' YTD.
    Looking forward to Chester next week.
  • Options
    3.5 miles this afternoon.

619 YTD 
  • Options
    Hobie - I'm not on Strava

PM -welcome back

SenidM - I'm def the wrong person to ask about marathon training having never followed a plan! I'm a great believer in going by feel, some days just feel great and I can run for miles and others everything feels disjointed. Also I run slower in the heat and this prob helps keep injuries at bay.

28.9 4.6 miles
    29.9 8.99 miles

YTD 1326.91 miles