Options

VLM 2019

Comments

• Options
    I had KT tape applied at the stand at the LM expo 2 years ago. I bought the tape from them and imagine they would insist upon that to justify their time. It was Saturday morning and I did t have to wait too long to have it done. 
  • Options
    > @bobdidmadrid said:
    > I'm planning  on it being quite a slow start andy. Doesn't bother me too much if I'm 20-30 secs over goal pace for the first 3-4 miles as I know I can make that up gradually. Wouldnt want to be much slower though nor for much further. My number is quite close to yours so it would seem there are a block of gfa's in red but maybe spread through the pens according to gfa time and lining up with ballot runners who claimed a similar time (which is only a problem if they predicted inacurately - we had to prove it!).

I'm confused about the numbers: my friend predicted a 5 hour race and got blue 13000-ish and I predicted 3:55 (which is about 20 mins slower than current prediction, sigh) and am number 21000-ish. Do the numbers actually correspond to pens? Because what they happens to club allocations as in my running club, these were only allocated in November, so weren't matched to specific people at the initial allocation (if that makes sense?).
  • Options
    Dear anxrunner1234, - I have read many similar queries over the years and have wondered why they arise? I am sure there are very valid reasons that may include chasing PB's, wanting to run with friends/family/club members but I could be speculating. I then ask myself if I was to ask the same questions then what would be the reason?
    Having run a few marathons over a number of years, I feel that as the VLM in particular is a chip timed event, does it really matter? In my case (only) I think not but am curious to learn from others why perhaps it should.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Is the question, why it matters to start further forward so people give a hugely optimistic estimated time?

• Options
    Harmander, it matters if you want to run at a certain pace but are unable to due to slower runners ahead of you - chip timing doesnt help then.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    The running numbers are bracketed for the various start allocations but have nothing to do with which pen you are in (unless you are FGFA/yellow or on the Champs start as you will be near the front!).  You don't find out your pen number until you collect your number from the Expo.  There is no point in fretting about starts, pen numbers, the weather etc as these are uncontrollables.  It is worth remembering the many thousands of runners that couldn't get into this race and how they must feel when they see those looking forward to taking part worrying over which start/pen they are at or how can they run with their mate/brother/sister/wife on a different start or whatever.  Just turn up, line up and enjoy one of the world's best marathons.  If you don't want mega congestion I would suggest doing a different marathon, there are plenty of top notch marathons here and abroad.  Some of which are a better running experience than London IMHO.
  • Options
    Sincere thanks bobdidmadrid, I guess my reasons to run are different, in that I like helping the slower runners. My PB's are a long time in the past (1984, when I did 3 hours 11 minutes 36 seconds). Nowadays,35 years later at best I am an hour slower but comfortable being 80 minutes slower.  
    This year, as mentioned earlier, RW and VLM have pacers helping people beat 7 and a half hours. I feel thes runners are just as elated as those knocking off 3 seconds of their PB to beat say 2 and a half hours.
    This year, RW are coordinating a stage at the VMLM Expo, blurb as follows: Runner’s World are the presenting partner of a brand new stage show at the 2019 VMLM Running Show.  The vision for the Inspire & Inform stage is to bring Runner’s World to life and in doing so, attract a plethora of runners to the show, far beyond those attending to pick up their marathon number.  Through masterclasses, interview and panels we’re hoping to inform, educate and inspire all runners from the 10k PB hunters to ultramarathoners and everyone in between.

One of the slots planned is a panel discussion on encouraging diversity in running. I will be a member of that panel so you can see where I am coming from. No offence intended.

PS. I do not work for or represent RW - just someone who they think has a contribution to make to the debate as I feel very strongly that at grass roots, running is a fantastic all embracing activity, but give some people a sense of importance through a title or 'official' role and they appear to lose sight of why others take part.

• Options
    Sorry for the typos and missing words/poor grammar in my earlier post. 
  • Options
    Almost totally agree with you Wardi, except the bit about 

Some of which are a better running experience than London IMHO.

London is the best by far IMHO, if it wasn't illegal I could kill to take part in it.
  • Options
    Wardi, dont get me wrong, I am looking forward immensely to the race. I am well aware that congestion is a likelihood and will not let it spoil my debut in the marathon of the city of my birth. I have been trying on and off since 1981 to secure a place and had to wait until I was 62 in order to run a gfa to achieve an entry so I do understand about the disappointment others less fortunate than myself will be feeling. However, although I have enjoyed many marathons abroad and one other in the UK, I really would like to achieve my very best in London and as such will no doubt do the same fretting about uncontrollables such as weather, congestion, etc as I and many others do for every marathon. I'm sure you understand this as from previous conversations we have had I know you also like to give of your best. No offence intended in my previous post.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    None taken Bob, it wasn't intended for anyone particular!  I was given pen 4 off green start last year which at first I felt was a bit low but we were over the line in about 90 secs so it wasn't a problem. Congrats on getting a GFA, always nice to be able to run your home marathon.
    Harmander.. I'm not knocking London by any means, I've done it around 16 times and rate it very highly.  I would always recommend it to first timers due to the immense crowd support, brilliant.  FWIW I think they are letting too many into the race now - I thought when it was around 35,000 runners it was about right.  However it has crept up to 40,000+ in recent years and I did notice extra congestion and problems at drinks stations last year.  Marathons like Barca & Valencia have a more spectacular start & finish, nicer courses, plus for visitors the expo, start & finish are all in one place which make it much less hassle than London.  My wife always comes to spectate and she said that getting around the Barca course was a breeze compared to London. They also have roughly half the runners that VLM has so less congestion.  It's always been perfect conditions on my 4 visits too! :)
  • Options
    GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Harmander, I look forward to visiting that stage - it sounds really good. I have managed to arrange things so that I catch an early train on Friday morning and should arrive at the expo around the time it opens on Friday! There look to be some really good speakers/events at the expo. I see they have put the timetable for the main stage online now, but not for the new Inspire & Inform stage - hope they hurry up!

This is a bit of an odd question, but does anyone who is familiar with the expo set-up/venue know if it would be easy to find somewhere to work there? It doesn't have to be particularly isolated or even that quiet - just a corner where I could sit with my laptop for a few hours! I have looked on their website but can't really find that info. Ideally, I want to stay at the venue (rather than going elsewhere in London) so that I can pop back to the expo for various talks throughout the day when I get the chance!

bobdidmadrid, I love the fact that you've been trying on and off since the beginning to get into London and now have a GFA! What a nice way to earn a place finally!

Hope everyone's tapers have started off well (except Harmander, who I know does not do tapering :smile:). I had my last really nasty interval session yesterday (8x800m with shorter recoveries than usual - I have done this training plan twice now and both times have found this session to be the hardest interval session in the entire plan) - but I was quite proud of myself for getting it over with before breakfast, then working in the morning and undergoing a mammoth dental procedure in the afternoon! What a day! The taper can only get easier from now on. 
  • Options
    Wardi, I just hope Valencia doesn't get any bigger. Having done it 4 of the last 5 years I have noticed many changes - not all for the better and these have mainly been due to the increased number of entries. It is a relatively small city, which as you allude to, is one of its attractions particularly for spectators, but that does also create issues if the number of entries is allowed to grow much more. Can't wait to go back in November having missed it last year.
  • Options
    Gipfel,

The Expo is in a very large building almost 400m long with halls on either side of a very wide central wallway that has catering outlets in the middle with seating- loads of space.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Harmander, many thanks - that is exactly what I wanted to know and is really helpful! (I couldn't get an idea of the layout from the venue's website, but that sounds perfect for what I need.) I hope to see you there.

bobdidmadrid, a couple of us were saying last year that Valencia seemed noticeably busier than the previous year - having said that, it was only the odd small section that felt congested (at least in the 3:45 to 4:00 wave where I was), and it was not enough to have an effect on time. I agree though that I hope they don't let it get significantly bigger than it is now. There was a bit of moaning on social media last year when they warned there were not many places left, then only a short time later announced that the race was sold out - lots of people were complaining because the organisers hadn't said what the entry number limit was in the first place! I don't think it sold out in previous years, so I'm guessing they reached the maximum number they were allowed - which perhaps means they won't allow it to grow any more. Come end of the year, I will no doubt be wishing I was doing it again - I'm sure I will be back sometime soon!

Talking of weather/conditions, a day like today would be rather perfect in 17 days - lovely and sunny but not too warm! We can hope!

• Options
    Hi Gipfel. Hopefully they won't let it get any bigger. The extra numbers have been noticeable but not enough to spoil it. I only missed it last year in order to do NY which was wonderful but I still really missed it when it came around - especially as my mate was running it! Already registered for this year. The half marathon is a good event also. I am biased as I love the place and still harbour hopes of relocating there if this Brexit nonsense ever gets sorted out. I could quite happily spend the rest of my retirement running up and down the Turia Gardens and Malvarossa beach!
  • Options
    GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    bob, let's hope everything does all get sorted, as that (relocation, not Brexit!) sounds like an excellent plan. I also love Valencia. A friend emigrated there about 8 years ago, so I've been over to visit quite a few times and I think it's a brilliant place to run - the gardens are just amazing! I can well imagine you missed the marathon when you didn't do it last year - I have banned myself from entering this year (mainly in order to try other events), but I may have to console myself with another Spanish marathon instead - am thinking of Malaga or Barcelona! There are just too many good marathons to do and not enough time...
  • Options
    That is so true. I would love to do Madrid again as it was my first in this re-invention of my running career. However, Boston beckons again as I found that an amazing experience. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Some races do seem to snowball in popularity for a variety of reasons.  When I ran Berlin marathon in 2000 & 2005 entry was easy as long as you didn't dawdle.  However it has grown in popularity since then and is now subject to a ballot.  The qualifying times for guaranteed entry are truly elite!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes i was made to believe the Berlin ballot had a high success rate. Ive applied last 2 years and failed. I only applied twice for London and got in once. 
  • Options
    DT - I've applied twice to Berlin and got in this year. Lost count of the number of times I applied for London (at least 20) and never got a sniff. It would seem it really is a lottery?
  • Options
    May i ask about the photo packages from MarathonFoto please for anyone with any experience.

There are pre-race discounts to be had, and seeing as this could be my first, last, one and only London Marathon, i'm looking to purchase the package which comes with a frame, additional medal, and engraving, etc.

Here's the link if anyone wants it - 

https://www.marathonfoto.com/Landing/19802019S3/virgin-money-london-marathon-2019

My question is, to purchase the frame they ask you to input your time....... but i haven't run yet!
    Can this be added after ordering, similar how do i chose the 2 photo's for the frame, can again this be done after ordering? 

I did message them asking this on Monday, but alas no response as yet. 

Any insight most appreciated. 
  • Options
    It's ok guys, found a live chat, and told to put zero's in for the time. Submit order. Then when photo's are ready they send an email when I can got back in to the order, edit the time, and choose the 2 photos. When then they will process.
  • Options
    15 miles done with my local park run thrown in rhr middle
    We are getting close now guys
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Bob, yes pure lottery for sure. If i hadnt got into London 15, then deferred through injury, i doubt I'd i have bothered with another mara and wouldnt be gfa. I wouldnt have got a gfa in 15 if i run it and i think that would have been the end of matters. Funny how things work out. 
  • Options
    ugh, poor guys facing into that Boston rain/stormy weather. what are we betting on in London? it's too early to start thinking weather, right? ha! 
  • Options
    BBC says it will start at 8 degrees then go up to 14 degrees during the day - overcast but no rain
  • Options
    I would be very happy with that Harmander. Although I'm currently sat on radiology waiting for an xray and ultrasound on my thigh to rule out a stress fracture...so that's my only wish at the moment that it's just a sprain. 
  • Options
    fingers crossed portlanders
  • Options
    Thank you. NHS are fantastic doing it all today so I will know for certain today what the outcome is. Will report back later.