Options

VLM 2019

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The weather at this stage and time of year can only provide a forecast based on norms for that particular weekend. London, unless it's  Easter, always lands on 3rd weekend of April. I note we are having a mini heatwave this weekend. Could Easter have saved us from a repeat of 2018! 

Hope it's not serious, Portlanders. 
  • Options
    Absolutely DT19,
    It helps us gear up appropriately on the day but the run has got to be run regardless.
    Just think about us pacers - we got no choice about kit or pace :-(
  • Options
    Good news, given green light to run. Just told to take it easy and wear appropriate supports or taping. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Thank guys, pace will be slower than i would like, sub 4 out of the window. But as long as i get round for my first marathon i'll accept that. Makes an easier mark for a PB on my 2nd marathon. 
  • Options
    and the same for the 3rd, 4th, 5th......................
  • Options
    It becomes harder after about 140 I found
  • Options
    hehe, Harmander, you sir are a legend of the marathon. 

There is no question in my mind i will run a 2nd marathon, as i need to run at least one 100% fit to see what i'm capable of, but i doubt that will be London as getting in is so difficult. 
  • Options
    Become a pacer

This will be my 35th London

Sorry for repeating this boring detail lol
  • Options
    I'm a runner, a new runner, and thus such talk never gets boring for me. 

A pacer! Would have to get quite a few marathons under my belt before i would consider such a thing.... lets get round the first one first! lol 

Are you still running Southampton?
  • Options
    Errm no,

Am doing an SVN race in sunny Gravesend instead on my 40th wedding anniversary - total cost for Southampton was close to £200, Gravesend is £45 - no brainer methinks
  • Options
    Indeed, although Southampton is only an hours drive from me i don't quite fancy a marathon that is a 2nd circuit of the HM course, being run at the same time. 

Congratulations on your upcoming 40th anniversary. 
  • Options
    GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Well, it's definitely getting to the peak 'marathon obsessing' stage for me! So close now. It would be great if the weather did turn out to be as per that forecast - sounds like pretty perfect conditions! 

portlanders, thank goodness you got the green light to run - imagine having to cancel at this late stage - you would be gutted! Hope the tape holds you together for you to get round without too much grief!

Harmander, I knew (as said above) that you were a marathon legend, but I didn't realise you'd run London that many times. It must be fascinating to see how it has changed and grown over the years (especially while being such a key part of it as a pacer). As part of my obsessing, I'm reading a book about the history of it (mainly London, although the book does talk about the marathon in general) - I'm finding it really interesting.
  • Options
    Gipfel,
    Yes I remember the original course with the run through Tower of London on the cobblestones (after 23 miles - ouch), and the route around Manchester Road o the Isle of Dogs too. There was a quaint little run along Mint Street too which I always found annoying. Did I forget mentioning the finish on Westminster Bridge (ADT London Marathon, Mars London Marathon etc.)
    Blimey, those were the days.
    PS - I have only been pacing the VLM in the last few years.
    Just paid for my trip to my second favourite marathon (Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront) - this used to cost £199 for flights and hotel in 2004, was £635 last year and was quoted £972 for this year - sod it, I booked the return ticket for £380 and will try to book some suites to share with others going with me to share the cost.
    Expensive hobby the running lark.
  • Options
    @Gipfel trying to stay calm is a real struggle lol. Promised myself inwuldnI w do weather until Sunday

@portlanders yipppeeeee your running
  • Options
    @portlanders This is my first marathon too - and, as people keep telling me, it means we're guaranteed a PB regardless of the time!

@Harmander Singh 2 How many times have you done Toronto? I was there a few years ago on holiday and did some running along the waterfront so I'd imagine a marathon there would be great.

I work at a newspaper in south west Scotland and am doing a feature on people from the area who are taking part in the marathon. It ranges from people doing their first marathon to someone doing their 83rd. It's his 27th at London and he remembered the Tower of London and Westminster Bridge too.
  • Options
    stugillespie, I have run Toronto every year since 2003 but some were half marathons with Fauja Singh.  
    The route there has also changed over the years - I quite like the current one which has been the same for about five years.
    It's the only place I have been to in Canada
  • Options
    That's very true Stu, needed to hear that, as it's been hard coming to terms that i won't achieve my sub 4 target that i was on course for a couple of months ago. Still hoping for a sub 4:30 though. 

• Options
    > @Harmander Singh 2 said:
    > stugillespie, I have run Toronto every year since 2003 but some were half marathons with Fauja Singh.  
    > The route there has also changed over the years - I quite like the current one which has been the same for about five years.
    > It's the only place I have been to in Canada

Very jealous - not just because there's a Tim Hortons everywhere. Maybe after I've done London I'll look into doing it in the future.
  • Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Stu Gillespie, I live in SW and have been lucky enough that this is my 9th consecutive London marathon. Which newspaper do you write for?

• Options
    stugillespie,  I am not a big fan of all these glorified and overpriced coffee shops anywhere in the world, give me a normal cup of tea anytime - but I don't begrudge others enjoying their pleasures.
    A pot of tea at home costs a little over 5p - why oh why would anyone want to pay over a quid for a luke warm cup of something that often tastes like dishwater (yes I have accidentally tasted it thinking it was some fangled green tea thingy).
    Yes I am a very old fashioned, old school 'Victor Meldrew'.
    Eggsmart on Bay Street about 300m from the finish line in Toronto is the best diner in town not only for value but excellent friendly staff.
  • Options
    @rodeoflip It's the Galloway News and the Dumfries and Galloway Standard. If you're in that part of the world and want to have a chat for the feature please drop me a message :)

@Harmander Singh 2 I totally agree - but they do good donuts!
  • Options
    Stugillespie, I'll give you that.
  • Options
    Any advice guys? 

Since my injury to my left knee, i'm getting a blister on the outside, and now also front on my right little toe.
    There's been no change in socks, or footwear... fair to say my bio-mechanics have changed temporarily due to my injury and this is a result of that. 
    I have a bendy little toe that curves in close to the next toe. 
    I've tried gel toe caps, but they fall off, I've tried compeed plasters but they don't stay stuck on for very long (have this issue with every plaster, anywhere, guess i just have oily skin).

Is there anything you guys can recommend I try?

Only think i can think of now, is to coat it in bodyglide and take paracetamol. Bodyglide works on it's on with me to prevent nipple rub, so guessing same principle applies in that it will reduce friction. 

Cheers. 
  • Options
    If you can remember the estimated finish time you gave, you should get a good indication on what start zone you will be in, from the last table on this page. i.e i'm in green start with a 4hr 30min estimated finish time, so i'll be in start zone 6 or 7. https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/event-info/runner-info/pacing/

Shout out to the legend Haramander who's mentioned as the pacer in red zone. 
  • Options
    There are 8 start zones

Zone number      Finishing time in start colour 
                              Red                     Blue               Green 
    1                        3:00-3:40           Sub 3:20        Sub 3:15
    2                        3:40 -4:00          3:20 - 3:35    3:15 - 3:29
    3                        4:00 - 4:14         3:35 - 3:50    3:30 -3:40
    4                        4:14 - 4:30         3:50 - 4:00    3:40 - 3:50
    5                        4:30 - 4:50         4:00 - 4:29    3:50 - 4:00
    6                        4:50 - 5:15         4:29 - 4:40    4:00 - 4:30
    7                        5:15 +                4:41 - 5:00    4:30 - 5:00
    8                                -                 5:00  +           5:00   +

Please don't ask any reasoning for the above, I am a mere (slow) runner  
  • Options
    Hiya,

Just looking for some advice as I'm starting to panic! I ran 20 miles 2 weeks ago and had some niggly hip pain after so to avoid making it any worse just did some miles on the bike that week and ran a few 5k's and did some long walks last week.

This means by marathon day I'll have had 3 weeks of reduced mileage and wont have done a long run since my 20 miles - will this be okay or will my fitness have decreased a noticeable amount by then? Thought it was better to be slightly undertrained than injured on the day but am now worrying!

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Portlander - Blisters are caused by friction, maybe try some elastic laces, you will need to buy them quickly and do a couple of runs in them to get the fit right but they make the shoe a snugger fit so less chance of friction.

Yes, use the Bodyglide on your feet too, a good precaution.

ac2000 - you've done the right thing to rest the hip.   You won't have lost fitness and you are absolutely right it's better to be on that start line injury free and a little undertrained.  You will have prepared a lot better than a lot of other London runners.

So don't panic, just some gentle easy training this week and plan for your race on Sunday, good luck and enjoy it.
  • Options
    Cheers Shades, 

Don't think i want to change things so late in the day, but will certainly use the bodyglide to all parts of my feet.

Weather forecast not looking so grand now, if we can have a dry start that will be something.... i take it there are changing tents at the finish? 

I blame myself, brought a running cap today without looking at the forecast first... my first one too, £5.99 from Decathlon, a nice fit too! May have to save it for summer training.