Options

big girls run too!

Comments

• Options
    well maybe its not an antimen space but somewhere that women can discuss issues that are more specific and also somewhere where the less supportive guys arent going to come in and take the p155 ( any guys who want to come in and share about the discomfort and embarrassment of running with huge man breasts would be welcome!)

the supportive and understanding guys will always be welcome just as women who are interested in the guys threads should be but there are diffences and sometimes disagreements whether we like it or not
  • Options
    Wow - only popped out to the gym and its taken me ages to catch up with the chat now I'm back....

...going back a bit....I would like to support hipsters too.....I'm a strange shape like Jj but the other way round...

....I've always had large bum and hips and a skinny waist in comparison. Therefore clothes gape round the waist if I want them to fit round the bum. With hipsters you can where them where they fit - magic!!! :o)
  • Options
    yup agree with Buney
    infact the guys seem to be "leaving us be" here
    but i saw a thread a few weeks back that said " a question for the ladies" and the title itself seemed to immediately attract guys and it really was not for guys

the title here obviously does not attract them!
  • Options
    btw, on the subject of running - i just did a really slow run 2.75miles took me an hour !
    i am supposed to be doing 4miles at 4mph average if i stick to do my schedule for the race next month

bit frustrating , i started off doing the run walk 1:1min but didn't really suit me
    ended up walking most of the end

i think i am just really tired from the night before last , had only 3hrs sleep

either that or the run/walk with 1min doesn't suit me

anyone else suffer from lack of sleep and still run ?
    is it worse the next day or the day after that?
  • Options
    30, 5'11 and was 14 stone, now 12.5. It was the running wot did it! Unfortunately my bank balance is too paltry at the moment to buy new trousers but my usual problem is my bendy back and sticky-out bum (like a bustle!) - I end up with loads of waistband flapping about round my back.

• Options
    aha LoK, i remember you from the Timex thread.

Your the mac user arent you?

<spit!>
  • Options
    Hey Ketty - that's my problem too - that's why I wear hipsters you can position them where you want - ie where they fit!!!
  • Options
    Hi:

Not really a big girl, anymore, but thought I might post some encouragement. I lost 20 pounds last fall (gained 5 back during the holidays because I wasn't running as much due to an injury...and I ate like a pig too..lol). I started losing weight when I increased my time/miles running and included speed work into my weekly schedule. I also dieted for a few weeks, and changed my eating habits...ex: cut out sugar, and switched to good carbs. Really worked for me. My body fat index (18%)is low for American standards, but a bit high, according to MJT (who is French), for UK standards. Want to loose another 5-10 pounds by the fall, and hope to lower my body fat to 14 - 16 %. Will be starting back into my usual running / exercise routine on Monday....(recovering from marathon and an illness, so have been taking it easy the last 2 weeks).

Good luck everyone
  • Options
    Going back to bras, I find the M and S sports bra is much better at holding me in than the shock absorber. The M&S also washes great and was much cheaper.
    I've just come back from a run. I think it was about 5 miles but had lots of little stops as Little Spud (7yr son) came along. He landed in a bramble bush at one point but bounced back up and off we went. First time for ages I've not had any aches or pains, enjoyed it even though it was raining - think LS will be a bit sore after hitting the thorns. Am I a cruel mum??
  • Options
    Oh forgot to mention , Little Spud was on his bike not running!!
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Teehee - All part of growing up, Chunks.

Re the Bra question. Someone posted a tip ages and ages ago on the forum about weraing 2 bras for extra support. I'd never tried it until last night, when I went to the drawer to get a bra out for my run last night. All that was there were 2 ancient bras which are past their best - an M&S back fastening one and a shock absorber crop top one. Rather than go downstairs nekkid, I put them both on.

Best run in ages - no movement at all, and no chafing.

This may change my running..............
  • Options
    I agree about the M&S bras - I recently got one and it was cheap as far as I remember, and it's just as good as the shock absorber (for my needs anyway!). Also, M&S seem more likely to stock "unusual" sizes as standard. Since starting running I've lost weight and gone down a cup size. 38A is a difficult size to find - all back and no front! Nevertheless there was a 38A for me in M&S. The assistants in the other places where I tried to buy sports bras have just looked at me pityingly!

• Options
    i'm a fan of M&S view from sports bras - one just got me all the way through rotterdam marathon without the tiniest bit of chafing :-)

btw i like hipsters too (although not to run in)

ladyofkent - on the run/walk thing - hve you just moved onto run 1min walk 1min? if you aren't comfortable then you should go back and repeat whatever you were last doing that was comfortable - maybe for another week? then try run 1 walk 1 again after that?
  • Options

Marion, the BMI/body fat machines etc, is/are a good indicator of body composition. However, please note that for them to be used effectively it's best to take the measurements under identical, or similar-ish conditions. Factors to be taken into consideration include:

- BMI measuring device
    - time of day
    - measurement time in relation to last meal
    - measurement time in relation to loo usage (serious!)

Anyway ladies, keep on supporting each other, and all the best!
  • Options
    Hi Multi how are you?
  • Options
    Blimey! What a busy thread!

I like M&S too not least because you can get fitted without it being mega embarassing - they even have a disabled fitting room in York which is big enough to take the pram and boys into. Find it really hard to get things to fit properly and be comfy! They tend to gape at the front centre if they're comfy - thus not a proper fit. Just hate to expose my midriff to get fitted properly!
  • Options
    thoroughly recommmend www.lessbounce.com for larger busted ladies (though i have said this elsewhere a few times sorry)

M&S don't do my size in any type of bra
    -whereas lessbounce have the ennelle bra and i am not even the largest size

i found it amazing - virtually no movement and they let you try it on (at home!) and send it back free of postage if you want a different size or don't like it

i also like the fact that it's a small company run by a woman

ps update on my slow run - i don't care anymore that i was slow - just weighed in and found i lost 2lbs again this week without being strict on myself foodwise - so it's the running that does it..!!
  • Options
    pezza
    yeh that's me with the timex gizmo
    -if you are still there - but maybe you are getting lost in all this boobs and bmi talk?
    i am kind of closet mac user actually

i had to switch to windows for work reasons boohoo .still think macs rules . even more so now that the new os is based on unix
    anyway, this is not the right place for geek talk . was v impressed you put together that programme to do that stuff ..thingy bob one , though i don't have need of it at mo due to lack of that partic gadget and being a beginner and all..but anyway, how come you are hanging round this big ladies thread?

• Options
    LoK, i saw *that post of yours* ;) and had to see what the fuss was about.

Do you use the HR + S&D bodylink? I started by running with a polar m52 about 3 years ago.

How do you use the HR?
  • Options
    well i've only been gone a few hours and we've gone from bras, boobs, bmi's and back again.....

and either there are no men interested enough in what we ahve to say, or none of these lot love us!
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Not so, Marion. I'm a bloke, I'm interested in what you have to say (not that I lurk, you understand) and, as the lady used to say at the end of the Morecambe and Wise Show ... I love you all!
  • Options
    y'see i don't know who anyone is yet muttley. i'm kinda guessing gender etc.

so do you lurk here often! lol
  • Options
    seriously. maybe you can help me out with a query?

i went on one of those weight, heart rate, blood pressure machine thingy's today. My resting heart rate was 58. is that good? do you know?
  • Options
    If it was taken on a machine, and you were anxious (espically after having blood pressure taken), i doubt it's really your resting heart rate.

But 58 'aint bad, it's all relative, your resting heart rate (or RHR) will change depeding on any of a million factors. What you need to do is measure it over a couple of weeks and try and zoom in on a reasonable figure.

LoK is your girly gadget genius on this thread, she'll be able to help you out with this (is this right LoK?).
  • Options
    marion

your resting heart rate is individual to you. its like me saying i'm 5ft4 is that good?

what is good is if you lower it over time as that shows you are getting fitter.

mine dropped over 10bpm in the space of a week when i gave up smoking :-)
  • Options
    also you should take your resting heart rate when you first wake up (ok - difficult on a machine thingy but if you ever get a heart rate monitor thats when you should do it)

• Options
    thanks a lot. i think that helped..... but as noone went "omigod, somebody dial 999, this gal's gonna explode!" then i assume 58 is not an alarming figure.

thank you very much
  • Options
    oh i see - no 58 isn't remotely alarming - well within normal ranges i'd say.
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Others have beaten me to it ...

My resting heart rate is about 40. My understanding is that it's part genetics, part fitness, although I am by no means a top athlete. As said above, it's relative to you alone and what matters is whether it drops as you get fitter. And as Pezza says, your real rhr is probably lower. I often take mine in the afternoon as I stretch out on the sofa for a snooze before the school run.

You don't say exactly how your heart rate got taken on that machine. Were you sitting down or standing up? Because 58 or so is about what I get when I switch the hrm on, standing up, before going out for a run. If I stand stock still for a few minutes it'll drop to 50 or top 40s. It drops further to 40 or just below if I lie down motionless and snooze for several minutes. You could well find yours is low to mid 50s, which for someone just starting out is by no means bad.

• Options
    indeed

mine will sit around 50 if i'm stood up but not doing anything, 40 if i'm sat down and averages 30 - 35 while still in bed first thing in the morning.

but i'm by no means fit - its just the way i'm built

three years ago - before i took up running - i was a couch potato, a 30 a day smoker, and a borderline alcoholic

my resting heart rate then was about 60bpm - as i said its the difference you can make to it that matters.