Options

P&D Autumn Marathon 2019

Comments

• Options
    SQ - sounds like a tough session, nice to get it in early. Also, it’s the dad role to get buried in the sand? My dad used to bury me up to my neck while I was standing up  :D

Steve - even when doing sessions early the past few days it’s been very warm which has no doubt taken it out of you. That’s what I’m blaming my last few runs feeling like crap on anyway.

Hamo - 2 big sessions in a row, so enjoy the recovery days

Spoons - I’ve read a few articles talking about the added benefits of running in high temperatures, hopefully that outweighs you being a little slower than wanted. Good session.

Macca - good luck for tomorrow, I look forward to tracking your progress

TR - tough back to back sessions, no wonder you didn’t feel great.

Chicksta - Sensible banking the big sessions at the start of the week. Hopefully the rest of the week has been bearable.

29 miles for the week so far for me, slightly ahead of where I planned to be because like a child I had to take my new trainers out for a spin last night. Today was a cross train day, so a very sweaty 50 minutes on the turbo. My Garmin said it was 33 degrees, but I think that gets distorted by my body temperature.

Anyone venture out later on today and brave the warmer temperatures? 1 positive of the weather is it’s forced me to train before work the last 3 days, which is more than the rest of my life combined due to hating early mornings. It’s felt  weird not having to run in the eve, almost like I’m slacking off.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - you are doing in a day what im not getting done in a week ! So you don't need mara training envy.

Well done on the BAC session spoons and SQ, tough weather for those.

More good work Hamo

10m home last night, 10 back again this morning with 6 mp, which got a bit tough in the last mile. Still not back up to full power yet, but i invested a lot into brighton and yeovil mentally.
  • Options
    hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Steve...nice strides on tired legs.

SQ...It's been about 25oC over here, so warmer than we are used to, but not the oven like temps yous boys are getting. Breezy enough at times too. Sounds a tough session you put in, well done. Getting buried neck deep in sand is certainly a unique take on recovery  :D:D  

HPR...And? How where the new trainers?  :D Your week is building well.  33 degrees is shockingly warm if your Garmin is right :flushed:

TR...You may not be back up to full power yet, but 6 @ MP in that weather, in the middle of  back to back 10's suggests your not too far away.

6 and 5 of the easiest peasiest miles for me today will do nicely. 
  • Options

Some nice BAC sessions SQ, you’ll have to head east for your next holiday to give yourself a break from the hills! :D 

No explosion thankfully Hamo! Nice work on the MLR.

Well done toughing it out Steve.

Welcome to the world of morning training HPR. I used to hate it too, I’ve never been a “morning person”. However now I’m used to it, I can’t stand the idea of doing anything other than a recovery run in the afternoon!

10 milers back to back with 6 at MP doesn’t sound bad to me TR!

I had a bit of a tight, achey right hamstring on Wednesday afternoon following my session. Bit concerning, but it felt better after my S&C, and thankfully felt about 90% there when I woke up yesterday. Felt fine on my run so don’t think it’s anything to worry about.

Easy peasy recovery on the treadmill yesterday afternoon, didn’t fancy a “feels like” temperature of 40º! One of those recovery runs where you genuinely feel more recovered afterwards, which is always nice. 

16 mile MLR this morning. Feeling a bit tired from the early starts, plus I have somehow managed to pick up a cold on the hottest day of the year!? I can’t even blame my nephews as they’re on holiday. Ironically, I think the gym is the most likely source, serves me right for being a wimp about the heat I guess! Touch wood it’s just a minor head cold though. Anyway, it’s wasn’t super warm, but high humidity so I was sweating buckets. Averaged 6:53/mi though, so happy enough with that.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Hamo - good easy peasying.

Spoons - great mlr, hopefully you sweated out the lurgy.

10 more for me, i regret not going the extra mile on tuesday now, as that 9m day will let down my double digit daily week.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    22 today, gives a week of 10, 15, 9 inc 5x1m, 10, 10 inc 6mp, 10 and 22 for 86. Should have gone tbe extra mile on Tuesday !
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    10m more here.
  • Options
    hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Spoons...nice MLR. Hope the head cold clears off quickly.

TR...Big, consistent miles and week. Well done.

12m with strides on Saturday went better, or at least felt like less of an effort, than they have been feeling which was nice. Followed up by a progressive 18 mile LR ending at LT pace on Sunday. Miles 1-15 started at 7.20m/ms and dropped to 6.20s, and the last 3 where run at LT pace (came out at 5.25, 5.35 and 5.25). Happy with that consistency, as the middle mile was uphill so the effort felt right throughout. Then a 2k recovery run with the main woman doing her Junior parkrun brought my weekly total up to 101. My first 'strava official' 100 mile week  B):D 

6 and 5 easy peasy miles today starts a cut back week for me, which will finish with a 10k race on Sunday all being well.
  • Options

Another big week TR. I wouldn’t worry about the odd extra mile!?

Superb long run Hamo. Flying on those final LT miles, very impressive! Good luck for the 10K.

Saturday morning was rather wet, but I was actually quite pleased to have a break from the hot weather. Easy along the canal as usual. Felt fantastic and zipped along averaging 7:04/mi. I was slightly worried I was overdoing it, but the effort felt nice and relaxed. 

Yesterday’s long run was the first of the NAZ session ones - starting off with 8x2 min surges at about HMP. I had a rubbish nights sleep and still had the head cold about me. I was half tempted to sack it off, drop the surges, or cut back the mileage, as I didn't want to dig myself in to a hole. However although I didn’t feel that special the pace was good and the effort normal so I decided to crack on.

Averaged 5:59/mi for the surges, and 6:48/mi for the 22 miles overall. Pleasingly, despite the tiredness I finished strongly with the last few miles at 6:47/mi. I felt pretty knackered in general at the end, but the legs actually felt relatively good. Head cold seemed to clear a bit through the day too, still not quite gone today but hopefully on the way out.

Another big week this week, including the 30x400m and long run with 10x1 mi @ MP sessions. Off to the Isle of Wight on Thursday, so suspect the MP session will be up and down the seafront, which will make for a nice change. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Top bombing Hamo, well done on the ton.

Spoons - cracking long run and miles. Have you done 22 any quicker than that in training before ? Thats a pretty quick run. Enjoy IoW. I'll be there for 1/2 mara in 2 weeks.

mlr monday, 15 bagged, takes me over 2000 for the year, which is tidy with no doubles.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Spoons - Super fast long run! It's looking really promising for you right now!
    Hamo - Brilliant weekly total! That's also a superb 18 miler.
    TR - Superb consistency from you too!

17 miles for me on Saturday with last 3 at LT, went 6 @ 9:19, 8 @ 8:31 and final 3 @ 6:33 (6:31/6:29/6:39). Really struggled on the last mile, gritted my teeth to get that done. Felt wiped out after that, not sure if that was because it was fasted (but I normally run fasted), but I do find those fast finish runs the toughest of the plan.
    Recovery 5 miles on Sunday, to get to 54 miles for the week.
  • Options
    Steve - well done on toughing out the last mile

TR - massive running week and year so far

Spoons - if you’re doing it at the track, 30 x 400 is one way to get your moneys worth. Really strong long run as well.

Hamo - huge week, well done on the ‘first’ 100. Strong long run and rapid last 3 miles

56 miles total last week with a decent 13 miles on Saturday on what for me is basically mountainous terrain back in Yorkshire. Speed to heart rate numbers are looking good, especially considering I need to drop some more weight, which should come off with the high mileage over the next month.

First week of plan started yesterday with a solid 6 mile recovery run. Up early this morning for a failed 4 @ LT, which I have an excuse list as long as my arm for. I obviously need to get my morning running routine down, as I had to cut the LT portion in half and head home so I didn’t have an unfortunate toilet (or lack of one) disaster. Before the stomach cramps started I wasn’t feeling the best, I was struggling to get my heart rate up and I was achy from a strength session late yesterday evening. I’ll take the lessons onboard and I’m going to top the running up with a couple of miles of hard stuff this evening.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Steve - that was a quick last 3m. Id suggest some fuel before that part of the run?

Hyde - good to see you getting back to it.Good bomb bay doors control!

Today was reps day, 1m reps last week, 2m reps the week before so i did 3min reps today (approx 0.5m?). 12x3min with 30 sec jog. 9m in total.

County u18 game Sunday might scupper my trail race, but better that way round.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Haha HPR - vertical digging is impressive! Whilst buried I was transformed into the world’s ugliest mermaid - very manly. I haven’t mastered the early morning LT sessions - bloody hard in my opinion. But the toilet situation improves with experience.  Running routes where you ‘know your options’ can help...

Such consistency, spoons. Good luck with the Zatopek session. What kind of effort/pace will you aim for? Really excited to see how well you’ll go in your next race. Time to unleash the green beasts?!

Some big miles, TR. doesn’t sound like you’re struggling for motivation. 

Incredible progression run, hamo. And a century - nice! Can’t wait for your next race. 

Great pace at the end of the long run, Steve. Good range of speeds you’re accessing. 

The day after last week’s tough and hilly tempo sandwich, my friend (who we were on holiday with) was very keen to run together. I suggested an easy 10M on the pancake flat Tarka Trail. He, however, suggested a ‘time efficient’ run directly home form the Big Sheep theme park (top marks, btw) along the SWCP. It looked to be about 13M long - but beautiful views awaited. We weren’t sold short on those but my goodness - it was the most brutal trail run I’ve ever done. 1000m of climbing in 11M (12m/m average pace) before he called his wife for a lift. Such tough terrain I was genuinely shocked. I was also pleasantly surprised at how varied the terrain was, from steep rocky sections walking uphill, to flowing woodland tracks with the sea not in sight. I wore some relatively new Innovate trail shoes I have only worn a couple of times. They are lovely in having a very roomy toe box, but I was aware I was slightly misjudging my step. When I got tired, the inevitable happened and I tripped downhill on some wooden steps. Crashed hard on my left side - and took a while to regain my senses. I realised my Apple Watch had registered the fall and was about to call the emergency services. It made me glad to have a friend with me. A few bumps, bruises and cuts, but nothing major, fortunately. That said, my left arm and entire neck is still sore today. Nonetheless, a truly epic adventure with a mate. Great times. 

I confidently predicted I would back this up with 23-24M long run for a strong final week. However, I woke up on Saturday with a ridiculously high resting HR: 55 vs a usual of 38-41. I managed 30 minutes of recovery, and put the slow pace down to the hills. But by the time we were packed to return home at 9am I was feeling very tired and cold. Seemed to descend on the journey and then spent the entreaty of Saturday afternoon and all of Sunday asleep in bed or on the sofa. I am still really aches and stiff - although perhaps this is the fall. Shocked at how high my temperature and HR were, though pleasingly things are heading in the right direction now. 

The marathon I’m doing is only two and a half weeks away, but is nothing to stress about. I’ll try to do a long run this weekend if I’m feeling well enough. There is also the Glos 5k champs tomorrow night. I’m sure I’ll turn up for the points, but won’t go all out. 
  • Options
    A very quick check in / catch up whilst I’m still trying to work out which day of the week it is.

Top week just gone TR with the multi double digits.

SQ - sorry to read about the fall and illness, at least they were at the end of the holiday ( and you lot have still got about 20 weeks left of holidays <jealous smiley>) and you got some lovely photos from the SWCP.

Very impressive LR’s with LT finishes Hamo and Steve, very tough sessions imho.

Similarly impressive fast LR RSR, enjoy IOW.

HPR - good to see you start the plan.

I finished the Lakeland 100
    in 33hrs 11mins at around 3am Sunday morning.  Having DNF’d my last two ultras I was honestly just pleased to finish this one so a 3hr course PB was a bonus.  It really Is a fantastic event thanks to everyone involved and in a beautiful part of the world.  With experience from last year and a conservative approach swayed by recent injuries and a course of antibiotics finished the day before the race, I felt I got most things right.  The one thing that I got wrong (again) was foot care.  With 25-30 miles left my feet were absolutely trashed and it was a case of just walking it in.  There’s loads of great reasons to go back but my burning one is to try and race something nearer the perfect race whilst not forgetting I’ve been so lucky to do what I have already done.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Well done Macca. Really pleased for you. I was thinking about LL100 whilst on the coast - astonishing achievement to do such a thing. You must have a lot of mental strength to keep going. Is that just a matter of experience - you know you’ll turn a corner eventually? Or something you’ve had to think about? What I love about the route is it essentially being a very busy two weeks’ hiking piled into one race. Beautiful place for it. 

HR back to normal this morning so ventured out for a 6M recovery. Effort and pace about right so definitely getting there (although it was slightly weird as the legs weren’t actually recovering from anything...). The SPO has suggested it wouldn’t be advantageous to do tomorrow night’s 5k. 
  • Options
    hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Spoons...as always, that's a class place for a LR, esp the surging pace.  Enjoy the Isle of Wight.

TR...2000 for the year with no doubles is very impressive. Nice reps.

Steve...brilliant finish to your LR, impressive gritting of the teeth too.

HPR...Best of luck with the plan. I agree with SQ, early morning LT runs are tough, but they do get 'easier' (for want of a better word) as your body becomes used to working hard so early.

SQ...sorry to hear about your fall and associated illness, hope it's clearing up quickly, and this morning recovery helped. Sounds like a brilliant adventure run all the same. I'd agree, would do no harm skipping the 5k.

Macca...absolutely top notch, just class. That is some chunk off a pb too. Delighted for you, still think your mad running 100 milers all the same  :D 

12 with 10x150m strides split into 2 sets on Tuesday went OK, followed up by a 14m MLR this morning for me. Runs start to taper down now for the 10k on Sunday. 
  • Options

TR yes several ahead of Manchester last year, and indeed at the start of this month I did 22 at 6:47/mi. I don’t think I’ve managed that kind of pace so regularly this far out though. Nice work on the 2,000 miles, and the reps.

Great work on the long run Steve. I always find hitting LT at the end of a long run super hard. Great workout regardless.

Building nicely HPR. When I first started running in the morning I found even recovery pace was a struggle, it took a while to adjust.

Yes might use the Next% at Newark Half next week SQ, depending on the weather. That SWCP run sounds like quite the adventure! Hope no major damage. Get well soon, the fitness from all that consistent training over the last few months won’t be going anywhere, so just consider it an extreme start to the taper! I’d be careful with that 5K, see how you feel but you don’t want to dig yourself back in to a hole (sandy or otherwise) if you’re not 100%.

Epic work yet again Macca, don’t know how you do it. Superb.

Good luck for the 10K Hamo. Any idea on a target time? 

So, 30x400m today, off 200m recovery. I’ve had a couple of better nights sleep the past few days, which has helped clear the head cold thankfully. Headed up to the track for this one, which made it so much easier to just concentrate on the effort and not have to worry about dogs, cyclists, etc.

As with last time I did this session, I got to about the 10th rep wondering how on earth I’d keep this pace up for another 20, but I just took it one at a time and got it done. Most reps were between 1:25 and 1:27, except a 1:28, a couple of 1:24s, and a 1:23 to finish. Average was 1:25.8 which is 5:45/mi pace - very happy with that especially given it was a pretty breezy morning. 

So far the legs feel tired but not too beaten up. I’m aiming to head out for a recovery this afternoon, so that I can drop Friday afternoon’s one given that I’m supposed to be on holiday. Will see how the legs feel later though, not going to push it.

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    SQ - Recover well after your fall. Sounds like a great run if you ignore the fall though!
    Spoons - Brilliant session!
    Macca - Epic running that is!! What a massive PB after your injury/illness!!
    HPR - Yeah, the LT miles can feel tough first thing!
    TR - Yeah something to consider before attempting similar next time!
    Hamo - Nice double digit runs there.
    10 miles with strides on Tuesday and an easy 7 miles today.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - sounds a nasty fall, no surprise you were a bit groggy for a day or so. You should have got checked out for concussion. Good that you are on the mend though.

Macca - awesome stuff, you are a tough nut. 100 would be a very big week, let alon a single race.

Hamo - hope the 10k goes well.

Spoons - impressive stuff then if you can do regular long runs at 6.47 ish for 22m. How does that compare with mp on race day, is it a similar in different campaigns?

Tired 12m here today, but long day offsite tomorrow with an early start will prevent running unless i can get a short and easy run in later im day. 339 for July.
  • Options
    That is a brilliant session, spoons. Even more so flying solo. No doubt the track really helped, but it is clear you have made absolutely massive strides in recent weeks. 
    Big July miles there, TR. You and Steve (and many others) are also so consistent. Good to see everyone loving the process. 

Snuck in a 4M recovery yesterday afternoon, keeping the HR (and speed), very low. Then 10M with strides on the artificial rugby pitch this morning. I dream of an entire running route made of the same material - lovely to run on. Felt ok, but probably nothing more, so definitely right to bin tonight’s 5k. Shame though in terms of club and county aeries points. 
    Looking back at my log, I realise this will be the first marathon for which I have run up to only 20M. That said, a few of these had 4M recoveries in the afternoon, and even a couple with heavy weights sessions as well - so I guess big days. No doubt it’ll get me through. Just trying to remind myself of this before getting sucked into running 24M two weeks pre race day 😆
  • Options
    Spoons...no real idea on target time, i'd like to go sub 35 to keep my streak going, and trouble my pb (34.25) if it all comes together, but going to run it with no pressure and see where this training block has me if that makes sense. The first 10k of the London plan was a very pleasant surprise in how i ran it, so i'm hoping for the same again, as its always hard to know how your progressing when your in the middle of a plan churning out big miles on your own. 
    That is a monster of a session, mentally wise as well as physically id say. To run it so fast, and consistent is excellent work.

Steve...Nice strides.

TR...well done on the tired 12. That is a big month you've put in.

9m GA this morning, will be followed up by 5 recovery miles and 'recovery' grass cutting this evening :D . TR intrigued me, so just checked my July total, knowing it would be my biggest month I've ever run, but still surprised to see 420 miles all in...no wonder i'm tired today  :D 
  • Options
    TR - Big month for you there!!
    SQ - Good idea to bin the 5k. You might surprise yourself, as your legs may be fresher with the 20 milers compared to the 24 milers.
    Easy 10 miles today. 214 miles for me in July, small compared to some of you, but think that's my highest this year, just trying to be consistent!
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Just back last night from a great week's holiday in Brittany - total food and wine fest so I'm feeling a little heavier for my race this weekend but I should be well rested.
    I have been reading this thread but not posting on holiday but some great running going on which I've also seen on Strava.
    Special mention to Macca - fantastic performance after 2 DNFs on a much tougher course. Super impressive with a massive PB as well. Amazing.
    Its the North Downs Way 100 for me on Saturday - start in Farnham and finish in Ashford, Kent. Not looking to break any records this time round so would just be happy to enjoy the day out and come in under 24 hours for a 1 day buckle.
  • Options
    An enormous month, hamo! With a spot of tapering and sharpening you’re definitely going to trouble that 10k PB. Best of luck. 

I think you could be right, Steve. And as it’s a very low-key, zero pressure event it doesn’t matter either way. Just don’t fancy a world of pain in the latter few miles! Weld one on another solid month. 

Sounds (and looked) like the perfect holiday, AWC. Best of luck for tomorrow (and er, the next day!). Look forward to hearing all about it. 

6M recovery this morning. My watch seems to be getting progressively less accurate - at least in few time. It seems to largely sort itself out once uploaded to Strava. Also, might have a very rare crack at parkrun tomorrow. 
  • Options
    SQ...Glad to see your feeling ok after those runs. 20m runs will def get you through, and then some, especially after big consistent weeks and London's block being not the long ago.

Steve...Nice easy 10, and a super July.

AWC...Glad you had a good holiday, photos looked lovely on Strava. Best of luck with Saturday, you should be well carb loaded anyway  :D 

7M GA this morning and 5M recovery this afternoon for me. This week is meant to be my 'cut back' wee, but the legs have felt knackered, and every run is hard enough work. 
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Hamo: 420 miles in a month is awesome. Fantastic that your body can handle that level of running without any problems. Do you do strength and conditioning work or is your body just bullet proof?
    SQ: good luck with parkrun tomorrow - should be a lovely day for it
    4 mile recovery this morning out of the way - lovely morning for it down by the river.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - 20m long runs will see you round ok.

Massive miles Hamo, you should get a mara booked in for autumn?

Zero yday, as had a stupid long work day and didnt want to run a tired few miles just to tick a box. 10m today. Looks like ill get to race Harting 10 sunday after, a tough 10m on SDW !
  • Options
    Quick check in to wish AWC all the best for tomorrow.  Will be following the tracker.

Hamo - monster mileage. All the best for the 10k.

Steve - as you say, all about the consistency, you’ve got some bike miles to add to that as well.

Top mileage TR, rewards will come.

Enjoy your blast at PR SQ.  You asked about mental toughness, I think I’m more stubborn than tough.  I recall one point on a summit where I followed a guy off course and I could have thrown the towel in but that wouldn’t have got me down 2,000 ft. I had plenty of time before the cut off so I kept asking myself what would Ralph Fiennes do ? (Probably make a film - I was thinking of the wrong Fiennes😂). I certainly didn’t sound tough as I winced and cursed over every uneven rock in last few miles.

RSR - another speedy session(NAZ), looking forward to seeing what you and others can achieve, to which end,we need to dig up the list.

All about the recovery here. My feet have returned to foot shape and aside from falling asleep in chairs, I’m feeling fairly normal.  Any spare energy is now focused on turning myself into a UTMB bore😴.

• Options
    TR - it seems like you’ve been crushing the mileage recently, so no issue missing a day when life gets in the way

Macca - Amazing result at Lakeland. Was the watch measuring long or is it actually more like 110 miles?

AWC - best of luck for tomorrow, hopefully the mental and physical rest from the holiday outweighs and weight gains.

Hamo - I always feel like the cutback week makes my legs feel worse. Like easing up makes them realise how much they’ve been doing! Huge month from you, I think you’re going to smash the great north run.

SQ - best of luck with the parkrun effort tomorrow. I’m looking into how I’d get there via public transport and would jog back to Cirencester to complete my long run. I’ll probably make a last minute decision tomorrow morning.

Steve - that’s still very high mileage for 99% of runners. It’s easy to see some of the miles some the the people on this thread are putting out and to think you’re slacking. I include myself in that where often 50 miles in a week doesn’t feel like I’m doing enough.

Spoons - monster session, well done on completing it. Enjoy the holiday.

Ticked all 5 sessions off this week so far. 2 MLR’s have felt good, the LT session was not great as mentioned but I’m not too worried. I’m way ahead of where I was in the first week of the last plan.

In Cirencester for a wedding this weekend, so I’ll most likely do my long run tomorrow as that’s the day I’ll be in the best state to do it.