Options

P&D Autumn Marathon 2019

Comments

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Impressive early morning pace Chicksta, did I read correctly that English isn’t your 1st language ? Never knew, very impressive if so.

I'm German, Macca (don't mention the war :D)

Joe: Huge congrats, especially on the swim PB :+1: I can't believe you had trouble on the bike leg again … if it's not punctures or car crashes it's loose handlebars :D. Bloody hell …  Looking forward to the blog. And loved the way Katie kicked your butt. You'd never forgive yourself for wimping out. Bet she knows that.

Hamo: I hear ya :) Suffered the same issues. 13 miles after a the LT run really hurt. I also made the mistake of hitting the gym after my LT sesh which absolutely destroyed my legs. It was an epic slog fest but it teaches your body to run on tired (and aching legs) and will toughen you up for race day. At least I hope so.

Spoons: Hope that was just a short-lived niggle. Very nice reps there.

You're banging out lots of 10 milers, TR. Nice work.

Also nice miles from Steve.

Sounds like you're propery recovered now, AWC.

Hope the weight drops quickly, HPR. 22 lbs sounds a bit scary. Maybe the scales are broken …

Did 14 today, 2nd MLR of the week. Very muggy morning and I sweated buckets. Was a bit dehydrated by the end and ran slower than I would have liked but hey, a few more miles banked.

Have a good weekend, all

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Chick - you are on it at the mo!

20m for me today.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Hi all. Long time no post. 

Your long and medium long run paces have come on terrifically, spoons. Very impressive. I hadn’t realised about the short track, I’ll have a word 😆 Great reps. 
    Great to hear you’re in for Chester, Macca. And a good attitude regarding time off, and London being the bigger goal. 
    Great that you’re having so much fun with your club, hamo. Cheeky prize as well. 
    Well done at Roth, Joe. It would be you racing without some kind of bike disaster. Great work from Katie (and you) to get things going later in the run. Well tougher out. And sub 9:30 on that course is pretty phenomenal in my opinion. 
    Good to see you back again HPR. 
    Good consistency, TR. Multiples of 10 only it seems 😆 
    Big couple of weeks, chicksta. And I agree with Macca regarding your language - very impressive with the colloquialisms used as well

A fantastic week away at Woburn Centre Parcs. We’re very lucky that we can go before the main school holidays - the price literally triples. My first time there - such a peaceful car free environment. Great for kids and to general clear the head. Buggy running every day - which was nice socially, but destroyed me with the relentless hills. Even resorted to the off mile around the car park to get in a token bit of flat. 

Bourton one mile challenge last night. The start was intense. Proper elbows out job! Weird to start a race at such a ludicrous pace, and I suspect doing a few short track races would give valuable experience. 5:23 on the clock, for what was always going to be a PB. I suspect there is another 10s in there if I did some regular intervals, picked a track race, didn’t do a week of buggy running and really psyched myself up for it. Still, a fun evening int he ever popular tourist hot spot of Bourton on the Water and nice to try a very different distance.  

Overall a very low mileage week (42) that I hoped would refreshed me. In reality, my legs are buggered and general energy pretty low. Perhaps because it is holiday time, bed time has slipped and I’m getting far too little sleep. I guess five weeks of 80+M has caught up with me, and no actual recovery running this week. I forget that the 70-85 P&D plan never has two 80 weeks in a row. 
  • Options
    HydeparkrunnerHydeparkrunner ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    TR - multiples of 10 only for you it seems! Solid mileage.

Hamo - I think the tough runs are as important as those that come easy. Well done for getting it done.

Steve - Well done on the 13 miler

AWC - Good to see you’re recovering

Chicksta - unfortunately the scales are accurately reflecting my ‘impressive’ ability to eat and drink to excess. I’ve never worried too much about the exact pace of my MLR’s, just good to get them done.

SQ - even with the low mileage, the climbing and pushing the buggy no doubt added more fitness effect to it. Well done on the mile, I’ve never ran one all out before. I’m sure it hurts like hell.

I had a physio appointment on Tuesday. The outcome was I’m not activating my glutes so I’ve been given some exercises to strengthen them. I’m also getting tightness in my peroneals and he showed me how best to stretch those on the foam roller (who knew you don’t just roll with them?). 35 miles for the week, scaled back on the say so of the physio, and 4.5 hours on the turbo. The 10 miler today was the best session I’ve done in a while, so hopefully things are starting to turnaround.

Also, where is HA? I need to gloat about the World Cup  :D
  • Options
    hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Steve...nice MLR with the 13.

AWC...glad to see the legs are starting to get back to normal, hope it continues.

TR...nice MLR and LRs in multiples of 10 as the others have said :lol:

Chicksta...Yea that's my thinking/hoping too re the tired legs. Nice MLR, 2 in a week is good going, and a staple of a good marathon training block.

SQ...Glad you had a nice break away, sounds lovely.  Excellent mile race and time, it's an awful distance, flat out trying to keep you lungs in your chest, but its over quickly and so that makes it an oddly appealing distance too :lol: 5 weeks of 80 plus back to back are bound to take there toll.

HPR...hope the exercises and foam rolling helps. Glad to see it starting to turnaround for you. It really was an amazing match of cricket last night, glad England won, but what a way to do it. Even as a 'semi neutral' (wanted England to win, but wouldn't have been devastated if they didn't) it was hard to watch and very nail biting, the wife even got into it after initially complaining it was on. :lol:

Friday was a double recovery day for me 6M and 5M. It was a bank holiday, and very sunny over here, so the afternoon run was fueled by excessive eating of chips, and ice cream, not the most pleasant experience ever :lol: Saturday was an 11 miler with 2x (6x100m strides), followed by a day at an inflatable park for the youngest's birthday, legs where battered by Saturday night  :D Sunday the plan was a progressive 18 miler with the last 3 at LT pace. Happy with how it came out, felt in control the whole way, was a lovely sunny morning (even had to whip the top off half way through :lol:) and I hit the LT paces too. I aimed for 3@ 7.20s, 3@ 7.10s, 3@7s, 3@6.50s, 3@6.40s and 3@5.30-5.40s, and for the most part ran that, if not going slightly faster than planned on the middle/end sections (pacing was never my strong suit, esp on a rolling enough route). 93 miles for the week, so happy with that work.

6 and 5 mile recovery's planned for today, to start a week that all being well should see me hit 96 miles by Sunday. 
  • Options

Sounds positive HPR, good that the physio has highlighted the issues so you can deal with them. Impressive weight gains! I’m sure it’ll soon come off once you get back in to things though.

Very consistent with the 10 milers TR.

An MLR the day after a big LT session is always hard Hamo, well done toughing it out. Very impressive progressive too.

Solid as ever Steve.

Glad you’re recovering well AWC.

Nice MLR Chicksta, with all this running in the heat/humidity you’ll be flying come autumn when it cools down.

If you could just get them to lay a proper track SQ, that would solve all these problems :D Nice mile at Bourton. If you fancy another crack, there’s a track mile at the WAC open meeting on the 8th August. I’m tempted to give it a go myself, but it is just before my planned half so can’t decide if it’s a good idea or not. I felt similar on my lower mileage week, was looking forward to feeling fresher, but felt worse. I try to reassuring myself it’s good for me, even if it does’t feel like it!

All good at the physio Thursday, he’s happy with how much stronger my glutes are, and how they are firing. He couldn’t find anything up with the ITB, I think it was just a niggle, and something I probably wouldn’t have even given second thought to normally, but after the last 12 months I’m a little hypersensitive to any potential issues! 

Coventry Northbrook 10K went pretty well yesterday. It was described as undulating, so I knew to expect some hills, but it was hillier that I had hoped. You start going up a hill too, so no chance to settle in. I was pleased to find myself in the second group with around 8 others for the first few kilometres, running around 5:50/mi pace and feeling good. However, once we hit the first hill I fell off the back slightly, unsure whether to push to keep up with them or not. It was really hard to judge exactly how hard to take the hills given my inexperience running hard on anything but flat terrain.

I was pleased with how strong my legs felt on the hills though, and although that group did pull away a little, not many people came by me so I figured I wasn’t doing too badly. I kept slogging away, trying my best to make use of the downhills. At the race start, the director said it was downhill after 7k, so when we reached a flat section at the 7k marker I put in a bit of an injection of pace, and was pleased how good the legs felt. However, we then rounded a corner and I was dismayed to see another hill! After finally clearing that, the last few kilometres thankfully were all downhill, and I averaged 5:40/mi and 5:30/mi for those two which was pleasing. I also caught back up to several of the group that left me earlier on, so it was good to have people to chase down. Crossed the line in 37:15.

Overall I was fairly happy with the performance. 40 seconds faster than Stone 10K last month, on a much tougher course. Given I get altitude sickness from going up curbs, I’ll take that. My legs feel remarkably good today, I thought running hard on hills might leave them a bit beaten up. I do wonder, given that plus how fast I was able to finish, if I should have pushed harder on the hills. It would have been nice to have a flat course to get a true gauge of where I am. Strava reckons the grade-adjusted pace was 5:52/mi, so if that’s accurate I’m happy with that. Regardless, I’m definitely improving which is the main thing. Head down now for another three weeks…

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nice racing SQ & Spoons. My mile PB is 5:34 in the County Champs SQ so I have little doubt you should be at least 10s faster than Bourton probably into 5:0x territory IMO. Spoons my mile PB came about an hour before getting a 10,000m PB. Last year's mile was slightly slower - though as good as I could manage but the 10,000 was another PB
    Decent training Chicksta, TR & Steve.
    Feel your pain HPR - only put on about a stone myself since winding back the mileage but definitely need it shifting.
    Shocking parkrun for me Saturday but I had had very little sleep & excess alcohol but that & the knee convinced me to skip my usual weekend fell race double. Day off yesterday - just a glorious walk up Hay Bluff.
    Doc's this morning - going to get me a 24hr ECG to see if that shows up any abnormal behaviour. Knee is most likely a hamstring tweak which was kind of what I suspected. Did 5M@7:29 at lunch (1182 BpM) Warm in the sun but last week's humidity seems to have gone so it was much more pleasant.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Chicksta: very impressive English then (and impressive mileag in training as well!)
    SQ: not surprised you are feeling tired. I know from my wife that end of the school year is always exhausting. We love center parcs but our trips have been curtailed due to expense since our daughter started school. Still we do get to Longleat once a year
    HPR: positive sounding 10 miler and good that you've got a plan to sort the niggles
    Hamo: strong LT session in a 93 mile week - great job
    Spoons: great feedback from the physio. Glad the hills didn't destroy you! 40s on a tougher course is a big win there and shows how much you're improving
    Did a lovely 21 miler up to Winchester from Southampton yesterday morning along the Itchen River. Just took it easy and didn't push at all which felt nice. I can still feel some fatigue in my legs so don't want to push them over the edge with another 100 miler in 3 weeks.
    Gentle 4 mile recovery at lunch today which felt harder than it should have but I think I'm just a bit tired after a busy weekend and the 21 miler.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - hope your legs bounce back, agreed that the routine takes a hit in the summer.

Hyde - sounds like you are on the way back.

Hamo - cracking long run there.

Spoons - progressing nicely

Jools - good to see you.

Awc - that long run sounds like a lovely one.

8m yday before a Hants u18 game (whilst lstening to world cup game on radio - which waa bizarre watching a game listening to commentary on another), 13m today, legs were tired so i didn't tag on a planned extra 2m.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Morning all. 
    I think I was disappointed not to hurt a bit more at the end of the mile, HPR. I seem to struggle to really ‘go to the well’. Hope the physio advice is good. ‘Strengthen the glutes’ is seemingly their mantra. 
    Great pace at the end of the long run, Hamo. Especially in a 93M week!
    The WAC mile is tempting, Spoons. Although I am doing a 10k the evening before - I’m doing well in the club champs (and I think reasonably so in the county), so keen to press on with those. With my powers of recovery (lack of), I hate to think what a mile the day after would be like 😆 Well done at the 10k. Admit it - a few gentle hills are really quite fun?!

Buggy free recovery yesterday, which came as a bit of a relief. 2M shakeout this morning in advance of the Blaisdon 10k tonight - organises by our very own Jools. I’m sure you’ll be busy mate, but hope to catch up for a beer if possible. Any tips on the course? Hope the docs worked out ok. 
  • Options
    hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Spoons...good news from the physio. 40 seconds faster over a hilly course is very good progress, and even more encouraging that you feel you had slightly more to give. Excellent 10k, well done.

Jools...hope the ECG shows nothing sinister and all is good.

AWC...class LR, good idea keeping it easy with the 100 miler in mind.

TR...Nice running. I've done that before, radio in one ear, watching the football, always a strange experience trying to follow two matches at once.

SQ...Good to see you doing well in the club, and more impressively the county champs, well done. Best of luck for tonight, and for you too Jools, with the organising of it.

So apparently i can't tell the difference between 5.40 am and 6.40 am when setting my alarm at night, which meant I woke up an hour later than planned this morning, and had no time to run the planned 11 miler before work :flushed: 7  mile at 6.30 pace was all i had time for, which is faster/harder than i planned to run with tomorrows Vo2 session in mind. So have decided to split the run, and do another 4 mile, but at recovery pace this evening to make up the difference. What a Knob  :D:D
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Haha we’ve all been there hamo. Wise decision - just get the miles done and it really won’t matter
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Too much praise, guys. I'm getting a bit embarrassed :blush:

HPR: Standard physio response indeed but usually they have a point. Glutes seem to be ridiculously lazy by default and in need of constant reminding to actually do their work. Hope your weight comes off as quickly as it came on ;)

Spoons: Great race report and time. Loved your comment about altitude sickness on curbs :D I can relate as it's pancake flat where I usually run. The closest hill is about 20 miles away ...

Could have been worse, hamo - like setting the alarm for 4:40 and losing precious zzz. Impressive weekly mileage and pace :+1:.

Good luck tonight, SQ and also Jools - if your're running. Hope the 24hr ECG comes away clear.

And well done on the mile race, SQ. Those events do sound way too hard for my liking. Are you planning another easy week (apart from the 10k)? If your legs are tired it may well be worth a try.

Big week by the sounds of it, TR. I have to admit that cricket is totally lost on me :D

Finished with nearly 75 miles last week after doing 7 with strides on Saturday and 22 on Sunday. Rest day yesterday apart from a bit of easy cycling and yoga, then a 10 mile GA run this morning. Proper windy but pace seems to be moving in the right direction (8:30 for 124 av. HR).

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Spoons - Great 10k time.
    Hamo / TR / chicksta - Solid training.
    SQ - Nice mile time!
    Just a quick pop in from me....Saturday was 16 miles with last 3 at LT pace (6:26/6:26/6:25). Sunday was a recovery 4 miles followed by 90 minutes on the bike. However my HR was really high on the bike, should have probably stopped, but continued on, felt rough afterwards (no energy), so spent the rest of the day on the sofa watching the cricket.
    Seem to be OK today though, 13 miles done before work.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - hope the 10k went well.

Hamo - no need to chase the missing 4m,  i bet you wont get the alarm wrong next time.

Chick - good week there.

Steve - cracking 3m at the end of the 16, very even.

This week sees the start of Abo specific training, so the Tuesday intervals pain train was rolling today with 10m inc 3x2m (60 sec rest), bit of a shock and nearly sacked it off a couple of times, but i appeased myself with the thought that itll give me a target to beat for next time.
  • Options
    hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Chicksta...75 miles is a BIG week, well done.

Steve...Brilliant consistency and pace with those LT miles at the end of your long run. Hope you are feeling better, and Sunday was just a blip (worse ways to spend a day than watching that cricket though  :D). Your 13 miler certainly indicates your feeling ok.

TR...Nice session, and its always nice to have a target, well done on getting it done. Its a shock going back to intervals/harder stuff after a bit away from them.

12 mile with intervals for me this morning, and you are right TR, i set the alarm properly this time :flushed::D  Intervals where 2x1600, 2x1200 and 2x1000 off 3 mins, 2.20 mins and 1.40 mins. Really happy with how they came out, my minutes per mile over the 6 efforts where, 5.12, 5.13, 5.16, 5.17, 5.13 and 5.09. Felt in control (ish, as much as you can doing vo2 reps :D ) and the pace was quicker than when i was doing similar sessions in my London training block.

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Hamo: nice job on the time keeping! Great work on the intervals - if you feel in control of VO2 reps then you are smashing it
    TR: intervals always feel rubbish at the start of a plan. Good luck with the training block
    Steve: nice LT finish to a LR. Those are one of the most difficult runs for me which is why I don't do them often
    Chicksta: really strong mileage that
    Went out for 11 miles last night which included the Avenue of Pain strava segment - 7 decent hills with c1,000ft of climbing over 6 miles. Almost backed out after the first hill as I was feeling weak/tired but the longer it went on the better I felt. I ended up running it c1min 30s faster than before and moved up from 10th to 6th on the overall leaderboard. Real confidence booster as I was a bit worried my legs didn't have a lot of pop in them.
    Feeling pretty good this morning too. Just an easy recovery this evening when I put the kids to bed.
  • Options

Interesting warm-up for a 10,000m Jooligan :D Hope the ECG results are ok.

Nice long run AWC

That’s great about the club/county champs SQ. Not sure about fun, but they weren’t quite as terrible as I feared. I still massively prefer the flow of ticking along on flat terrain though.

Bad luck on the alarm call Hamo, at least it wasn’t a big session or something. And on that note, great session this morning, very speedy.

Another great mileage week Chicksta, nice work. I used to live in Muswell Hill in London, so had no choice but to tackle some on my runs. But now the flat paths of the river and canal are too tempting! 

Speedy end to the long run Steve, I find those so tough.

Well done toughing out the reps TR, 3x2 off such short rest is hard work!

Ouch that sounds horrendous AWC! That’s a huge chunk quicker, well done.

First of the NAZ sessions for me this week, a ladder fartlek (although is it really a fartlek given how structured it is?) of 4,3,2,1,1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1 minutes at sub-LT, with 2 minutes jog recovery. Lovely still morning, although 98% humidity according to my weather app, so I was drenched by the end. I was really pleased to average 5:48/mi over the 30 minutes of fast running. 8s/mi quicker than I did this session pre-Manchester, although that was a windy day so hard to directly compare.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Wow, that's a whole range of fab sessions - Steve, TR, Hamo, AWC and Spoons :+1:

Sadly my LT run (6 miles) was shite. Made the mistake of wimping out (it was windy)  and go to the gym but aircon wasn't working and it was like a sauna in there. 3 mile warm-up and I was drenched. Ground out 5 @ LT before losing the will to live and taking a small breather. Had to grab some water and walk a bit. Then psyched myself up for one final mile so at least I did the 6 albeit not quite as per the plan.

7 mile LT run in 3 weeks to look forward to …  just found out that there's an evening 12k race (odd distance, I know) on August 14 so I shall use that instead. Hoping it'll feel a bit easier in a race environment :) 

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    More solid stuff folks.
    Busy with RDing yesterday so no time for a run but I did do 50 minutes S&C in the gym before my final day at school for 6.5 weeks.
    My 10K race went smoothly yesterday with 133 finishers. Very slightly smaller turnout than in previous years despite selling out in only 2 weeks & my last fortnight being filled with transfer requests & late entry begging emails/messages! It's a great event for the club & I had plenty of positive feedback - helped by HQ being a former CAMRA pub of the year which puts on a decent BBQ too :D Bit hot & sticky for racing IMO & the undulating course certainly isn't the quickest. Good to see SQNE briefly. Might get a run myself later - still completing race aftermath.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Hamo - lots of positives from that session the, great stuff.

AWC - well toughed out.

Spoons - more good positives from you too. Most pleasing.

Chick - bet you regret running inside now, good training though.

Jools - your race sounds great stuff, esp the booze up after.

13m for me today, was a bit tired after ydays session.
  • Options
    hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    AWC....the 'Avenue of pain' certainly sounds fun  :D Well done on not backing out of it, pushing through, and running it really well. You deserve the confidence booster its gave ya.

Spoons...class Fartlek (looks a tough session). 98% humidity is bound to have made it 10 times tougher too.

Chicksta...Well done on toughing out the LT run, as you say you got the 6 prescribed miles done, even if they weren't conventional. The 7 will definitely feel easier in a race, so don't be wasting energy worrying about it for the next few weeks.

Jools...well done on the RD'ing, sounds a good night.

TR...nice MLR, esp after the session.

15m MLR for me this morning, and like TR it was hard enough work, as i was a bit tired after yesterdays session.
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    same here TR and hamo - 15 miles after yesterday's session was never going to be easy. But job done.

Sounds like a smooth event, Jools. Glad it all went well.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Jools - glad the race went well. Being RD sounds very stressful! Enjoy the hols and hope you are feeling tip top again soon

Hamo/TR: nice MLRs on tired legs. Great training stimulus in those. 

Chicksta: your training has been so solid so one bad LT run isn’t anything to worry about. Great idea using the 12k race for another one

Another 11 miler this morning with the Avenue of Pain segment included. Legs felt ok so thought why not give it another blast to get some more hills in. Ended up just 7s slower than Tuesday which is great considering I was just taking it at more of a steady pace today. 

Ill give it another go go next week and then taper for the NDW100 on 3rd August. 

Off to Brittany on hols next Tuesday for 10 days - cannot wait! Wine, cheese, meat, repeat :)
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Excellent pace for the HR, chicksta. 
    Strong fast finish Steve, and some well timed recovery with the cricket. Ridiculously exciting finish!
    Marathon plans roll round quickly for you, TR. Best of luck. 
    Bloody hell hampered, seriously shifting in that session. 
    Have seen some awesome camping photos from HA, hope you’re having fun mate. 
    See you’ve doubled up on the Avenue of Pain, AWC. I need to get back to a similar route near me. I’m just too scared! Wine, cheese, meat gets a big thumbs up from me. 
    Rapid pace, spoons. Even better when comparing to pre Manchester as well. 

On Tuesday evening I headed over to the Blaisdon 10k. I’m not just saying this as he’s on this forum, but Jooligan really did do a fantastic job as RD. he tried tirelessly to help entrants swap places and kept us well informed. The race was on the edge of the Forest of Dean, starting and finishing quite literally immediately outside a lovely rural pub. The route was out and back and felt very hilly, although my Strava suggested otherwise. It was 24C and very humid, which perhaps should have tempered my expectations. 
    Looking around the field I suspected I’d end up top five or so. Strangely, no one really started when Jools shouted go - I almost felt like I was false starting. I was in the lead on the initial descent, but definitely not running faster than sensible (yet). As we began the first climb I was amazed no one was pushing ahead, so it wasn’t a huge surprise when the eventual winning female (whom I regular finish a good minute ahead of) burst through the lead pack and shouted: “come on chaps”! It felt increasingly hard towards the turn around point, although as it is broadly an uphill first half this wasn’t a surprise. However between 5-6k I felt ridiculously tired and, for the first time ever in a race, decided to significantly knock the effort back and ‘coast’ in. Realistically, and based on HR this was about tempo, but still well below race effort. I finished in 12th for 38:37 and was beaten by several older runners I can usually hold off. Absolutely knackered! Couldn’t even manage a proper warm down. Settled for stripping off the sweat sodden vest and sipping a cold pint of lager - not all bad I suppose. I was amazed to find the next day I won my age category- I assume V35. So my sincere apologies Jools for not sticking round longer. 
    I think on reflection, I had lots of fatigue and was silly not to recognise that and adjust effort and expectations accordingly. 
    Yesterday I managed a 4M recovery run and then a good night’s sleeps. Resting HR this morning was normal, so I headed out for a long run today, at strictly easy effort. Donned some new Adios straight out of the box for 20M at 7:26 pace. HR a bit high, so a good call to reign the effort in. I think avoiding any races for two to three weeks will help, as well as any mega sessions. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good stuff Hamo, 15 is a good mlr, i hope to be back up to 15 next week.

Same for you Chick

AWC - more pain ! In the avenue.

Good going SQ, esp the 20 today after a tuesday night 10k.

5m easy peasy today.
  • Options
    hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    AWC...fair play on going back to 'the avenue' so soon, and running it well. Wine, cheese, meat repeat sounds class, I'll be at the same myself in 2 weeks in Menorca. Hope you have a lovely time in Brittany.

SQ...Congrats on the age cat win. A sub 40 10k, when you've intentionally eased off after 6k is good going, but right decision to reign it in a bit. Nice LR yesterday, esp after Tuesday night.

TR...easy peasy miles are the best.

Same as TR this morning, 7m easy peasy for me too. Will follow that up with 5 more easy peasy miles this afternoon.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Hamo - Great vo2 session!
    Chicksta - Great LT and massive mileage from you. I find the sessions easier in a race, so good idea for the 7m LT!
    Spoons - Brilliant pace and good improvement over Manchester.
    AWC - Nice hilly running!
    TR - Sounds like a tough session with short rest!
    SQ - Nice 10k.
    8 miles with strides on Wednesday and 9 miles with 6*1k on Thursday reps were 3:44/3:43/3:41/3:41/3:50/3:39. Other than the 5th rep, happy with that, but was a tough workout.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Very impressive workout workout, Steve. 

I forgot got to mention that there were at least two pairs of the Next% on show during Tuesday’s race. I felt so out of date...

To follow a theme: 7M easy peasy this morning. 
  • Options

Well done toughing out the LT run Chicksta. I always found those tough, and often didn’t hit the paces I “should” have been doing. Just trust the process. That’s handy about the race.

Glad your race went well Jooligan, will have to give it a go one year. 

Nice MLR TR.

It didn’t feel that bad to be fair Hamo, it hadn’t warmed up too much at that time of the day, and I was wearing my Rab C. Nesbitt vest for extra cooling :D Great MLR from you too.

Glutton for punishment AWC, top work. Enjoy the holiday.

As Hamo says SQ, not a bad 10K time given you coasted in! Solid long run too.

Speedy k reps Steve.

I had a bit of a run in with a swan on yesterday’s easy canal run. The riverside is a swan sanctuary so they're everywhere this time of year, and generally they’re not an issue - some will sit blocking most of the path, but they don’t generally do much when you run past them. Even the pair who had cygnets a few months ago remained surprisingly friendly. However, another pair whose cygnets hatched a few weeks ago are a little more protective, possibly as they're further up on a quieter section. Yesterday they were all sat on the grass next to the path, and as I ran past the one adult got quite agitated and went for me! Did the same on the way back too, and even chased me for a few steps. I’ll have to start doing strides at that point on the run in the future! :D

Medium-long this morning, it was a beautiful sunrise when I got up, but by the time I got out the door it was raining. Quite enjoyed it though, and knocked out 16 miles at 6:47/mi average. Surprised how good the legs felt, as they were pretty wooden on yesterday afternoon’s recovery - pace and HR was ok, but just felt clunky and couldn’t get in a rhythm. Ebs and flows of marathon training I guess, at least it was that way around!