Options

Comrades 2020

Comments

• Options
    baldstan, I should have been at a conference in Birmingham, so hadn't entered the SDW50. However, I deliberately wore my SDW50 T-shirt, hard-earned in 2013, for today's run. That was the year we had 3 hours of lovely weather, then the front came in, with the result that about 25% of the field DNFd with hypothermia (we had been told what was coming, but many people still didn't carry adequate warm and protective clothing). My 90-mins easy run was in lovely sunshine, and I got my strength session done beforehand, so I don't have to fit that in later in the day. (I was also wearing my Comrades cap and I did have a lady going in the other direction notice it and call out after me 'hey, Comrades!' in a South African accent.
    I've started listening to podcasts while doing my strength training, also while doing 30-minutes of uphill walking with the treadmill set to its maximum of 12% incline. Does help make it less boring.
  • Options
    Slow Duck: thank you: without volunteers we can't run races.
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone is surviving being cooped up inside. I've cut back all my runs so just ticking along and waiting for another date to appear. My guess will be September 27th. :)
  • Options
    baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Slow Duck, I think we briefly met at Botolphs last year, buttering sandwiches that hardly anyone stopped for. You'd have had to be quick marking the course this year, I imagine Tom Evans would be flying round in this weather.
    Debra, I expect they've upped the compulsory kit list since 2013, though I doubt it would still be enough to cope with those conditions. Went for a short (40 minute) run with my 17 year old son this morning up Norbury Hill. I'd introduced him to Strava segments last week, so he thought he'd have a go (leaving me gasping behind) and he only went and did the 6th fastest time ever (think I was about 200th).
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Marty, we should get some bets on :) so you are gong for a direct clash with Berlin and the week before London???? I have a charity place for London, that's going to cause a dilemma, although I did run Liverpool a fortnight after Comrades in 2015.
  • Options
    I should have been running Exmoor ultra today....

mmm 27th September. What better way to spend one's 20th wedding anniversary :)
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    lowrez, i'm feeling a table coming on :):):)

marty74 - September 27th
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Baldstan - yes I think we did. I was on Botolphs CP team last year. It got manic once the runners started coming through, didn’t it? Yeah, I was looking at a really early start to make sure the lead runners didn’t catch me!

Debra - I really enjoy volunteering at Centurion races - almost as good as running them!

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    marty74 - September 27th
    1owrez - Cancelled - entries carried forward to next year
  • Options
    Slow Duck: I enjoyed volunteering for NDW100 in... 2013(?); I can't remember exactly. I remember I said I'd volunteer at Knockholt pound because I could do my usual Lloyd parkrun stuff, including getting the results done, then get there in time - and I knew where it was, so didn't have to worry about getting lost. I sometimes feel guilty for not volunteering enough at ultras - but I do give about 500 hours of volunteering time per year to running: mostly to parkrun, but also to events organised by my running club, and helping at the London marathon.
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I've just joined Mark's "My Virtual Mission".  It looks like a fun way to keep me motivated to get out often enough to cover the challenge distance from Harrowgate to Keswick.  It's a big April challenge for me even though it will be predominantly covered on my rusty bike.  Done just two days now and suffering a bit of 'saddle soreness' (Not been riding for ages before this). Need a rest day tomorrow.

Come on Lowrez, I saw all your reservations but for a minimum £9 fee you can't go wrong.  Mark is picking up all the associated admin cost and setup effort - it's become a labour of love.

I hope more of this group might support this.

I hope you are all well and carrying on running in these difficult times!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I think we'll just have to disagree Terry - how much admin is there in staging a race that doesn't exist? Is there still a target of 500+ participants? That's £4,500 being pumped where? Why don't we all go here and donate £9

https://www.sueryder.org/donate

Then comment on here about how far we've got along the line below, most of us are in a Strava group so we'll all see the miles accumulating

Plus you don't have to donate if you don't want to and you can still play - nobody will see that you haven't stumped up any cash. Completely transparent, fun to do, and you know where your money went (if you donated). Plus I don't want paying anything for the above admin.
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I believe Mark has made it quite clear that he can not make any personal profit on this and I certainly believe that. You don't agree but that's your free choice. The likelihood of 500 entering the April challenge is vanishingly small. I'd love to see how you would be able to put this together and make any personal profit for something similar after web hosting etc, etc. Entry fees minus direct costs go to charity and I'm confident Mark will publish the end result.

I at least will get some health benefit from a boost to my recently ailing exercise motivation!
  • Options
    Lowrez 
    where do you get your figure of 500 from? Assume WRT medals etc? That is an option that as I state very clearly is not productive to purchase unless min. 500 are placed. I started the ‘admin’ project on this 2 weeks ago and have worked many hours putting it together. Building a website is a few days job alone then several conference calls with the software company takes time. I’ve been a Race Director for the last 4 years which consumes at least 2-3 months of my time to pull it off, hence it being a top 10 RW race, during the 4 years I’ve reduced the event selling out in 3 weeks down to 36hrs, next year I hope within 24 hrs. With regards to Sue Ryder, that incentive started only yesterday and I spoke personally with Henry about it at SR head office, regrettably my incentive clashed with theirs which was looking to be launched in 3 weeks but they turned it around as fast as possible for the same reasons I initially had the idea to raise (again) for Sue Ryder (as well as WHO, who tbh I feel deserve more injection than Sud Ryder at this time. The reason I raise for SR is because I watched my mother in law dwindle away slowly over 4 years and sadly pass away in the local hospice. 
    Originally the prices of the missions were higher so more could be raised for charity but as you and one other raised do many questions I reduced the price to ground level - purely so people could have some fun, while at all times I retained links where people could optional it decide to donate more should they wish to. My main mission of what I set out was to give people some fun during this time and raise money. Sadly as I’ve noticed many times in so many areas of life people want everything for the minimum. I don’t want paying anything for what I’ve done, I’m as transparent as they come, and probably the most honest person you’ll come across.
    As with the Strava challenge, where do I find this free of charge challenge? 
  • Options
    I reckon, Comrades cancelled and no refund. Same as 2 Oceans.
  • Options
    We now have a 24 hour curfew in place, I haven't run in 3 days, wife wants me to buy a treadmill. And one of the drivers in work has tested positive so I'm off to get tested tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    Dubairunner, sympathies. I used my treadmill for 30 mins of uphill walking at 12% 9highest it goes) after my tempo run the other day. Planning to use the uphill walking as cross training from now on, as I think that's more useful than the exercise bike and, with a podcast to listen to, marginally less boring!
  • Options
    Lowrez 
    For the life of me I can’t find this Comrades challenge you’ve referred to either online or on Strava? Any clues? 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Terry, Mark, this thread is titled: Comrades 2020. The Hearst Magazine T&C state that "soliciting" is not allowed. I think we should get back to talking about Comrades 2020? We are obliterating the short snippets of conversation on that with a daft to and fro about - well you are now channelling it towards "honesty" . You shouldn't stump up here and try and sell stuff! I didn't say at any point I suspected anyone of dishonesty, I said the process was not transparent. It still isn't. All I can see is a bloke called Adam El-Agez taking 5.5% of the cut to fuel his island living lifestyle, that's the visible admin charge associated with the platform you are using. Sorry if you have taken offence at me wanting to understand where the money goes - there is still no clear path on that in my opinion.
  • Options
    Thanks Debra, doing plenty of swimming at the minute, it's currently 34 degrees so life's not all bad...
  • Options
    Dubai - hope all goes well with the test. Keep up with the swimming.

Glorious day here in the UK. But that obviously makes it busy. Done my run for the day so can now stay firmly at home away from everyone. Actually looking forward to some gardening, a family quiz later and some fillet steak for dinner. Not bad.
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Dubai - sorry to hear that. Hope your test goes well.
  • Options
    Lowrez
    My intention as said was to do something for motivation of my fellow running community during this uncertainty, and raise for charity. Certainly not soliciting, that is not what I’m about. If the thread / forum permits to talk about other training and races in a build up to Comrades then what is wrong with a virtual post? The mission you constantly refer to of course that is someone business, as with any race in all fairness, that is nothing to do with transparency of honesty. I said from the start that approx £8 goes to the software company. The other missions have no large outlay as that does and so that would generate more for charity. I took on board what you said and reduced the pricing so it is now effectively a cost but you still find concerns? To add do you seriously think that 100% of an online donation via the Sue Ryder link you shared goes straight back into the charity, let me tell you for a fact it doesn’t. I’ll not talk more of either incentive but can I ask again where do I find that challenge, also what does one have to do to join the RW Strava group? 
    I think I’ve annoyed you by simply highlighting to the group what I had done, if it makes you feel better delete those related posts, I’m not about to make people unhappy so if that makes you feel better and you’re guarding the T&Cs of Hearst please do. 
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Lowrez, I think your 'soliciting' accusation is a bit over the top. I do believe others have suggested support for their various good causes over the many years I've been on this thread. I'm not aware of any similar accusations before, except for occasional snake oil salesmen who we block.

Anyway, I think this topic is best left behind so that everyone can get on with what they do best - good training and enjoying the countryside.  I really feel for Dubai with having no ability to get out and train outside of his back yard!  Dubai, I hope your test comes back negative.

I wonder when Comrades organisers are going to finally accept reality and put out an update. There was no way I could qualify but I feel for the rest of you who were/are training hard and 'ready to go'.
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Hope all ok for you Dubai, fingers crossed.

I just hope after next weekends Easter bank holiday that we are not on complete lock down caused by people being idiots.....
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    I think there will be a Comrades this year, so will go for Sept 27th.  The reason I am confident is that next year is the 100th running and they have big celebrations planned (hence the double down).  

The half Ironman the week before Comrades has not been cancelled either, however many around this time have elsewhere in the world. 

Keep running folks and keep having fun.
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    and Dubai, fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, my running will now be round and round the garden. I live in a gated community, security, police and drones are now checking we don't leave unless we have a permit. 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Here's a bit of fun; a race only in the the very early stages of planning which will potentially be staged in 3020 by the CMA (Comrades Mars Association). I was trying to get more competitors placed virtually on the map but Strava went and cleared the table at midnight! So, based on your Strava mileage since April 1st this is how far you have got along the course (in your space suits of course). Peter is about to cross the finish line in Murban and receive a Mill Rowan! Marty and Slow Duck are at the top of Mields Mill. Southern Snail is belting up Minchanga almost at half way. Dubai is plugging away earnestly about to tackle that very annoying hill prior to Minchanga that should have a name but doesn't, and I've just sneaked through the M3 subway and the first cut-off at Mion Park with 35 minutes in hand - day dreaming again I suspect, that is far too late!

Of course everyone's virtual clocks are running at a different rate, I suspect Peter will be over the line in our reality tomorrow whereas it might take me 3 more weeks to come in for my Mic Clapham!

I don't know if gifs run on this board, but here is what the stadium in Murban is planned to look like:-

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Dubai, hope all goes well for your test, quite a few people I know are getting treadmills in prior to the obvious rush that'll hit when the government locks us in our houses here... there are some pretty amazing systems out there... like wazzing a 65" TV in front of you and having the terrain you are running at emulated automatically with the elevation being varied to match etc! I didn't look at the prices though!