Options

Comrades 2020

Comments

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    McHilly - agreed, glad you are back safely.

I know we all are all keen to run races but i have my doubts if any will be on until October at the earliest. And as for traveling abroad, i think that will probably be sometime next year with all the travel and border restrictions that will still be in place. Apart from Comrades (which i think will be cancelled), i was looking forward to Run The Rock in Jersey in early August. I think that is now looking dodgy. I'm even starting to wonder if i will get to run Beachy Head in October??

At least at the moment we can still run outside. I am dreading the day when we can't even do that.

Stay safe everyone.
  • Options
    jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    baldstan said:
    Went out for a short run this morning, but following parkrun's advice, carefully avoided the local parkrun route.
    Great to hear! In Ireland a few people showed up the first Sat parkrun was cancelled to do freedom runs but the message has gone out now so didn't happen last yesterday. Like Debra I've a bit of a connection with parkrun as a local ambassador for a bunch of parkruns & junior parkruns.

As a bystander, it's hard to know what the Comrades organisers are trying to do? It's an event that you have to prepare seriously for so the level of uncertainty they're generating is crazy. Hope everyone is doing ok & stay safe.
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from everyone, and that people are still able to get out there and run (in a responsible way). Enjoyed watching the 777 documentary, thanks Lowrez. Anyone else have recommendations for good running (or outdoor activity) video? I recently watched “Kilian Jornet Path to Everest” and “running for good” both of which I recommend. 
  • Options

jkissane said: In Ireland a few people showed up the first Sat parkrun was cancelled to do freedom runs
    jkissane: that was the other reason I was at the park yesterday morning - to discourage that, if necessary. Really pleased I didn't need to be there (I -had- specifically asked people not to do it and it's lovely to know they listened).

Two nice runs for me this weekend - easy trail run yesterday and easy but with full pack and twice as far today (accidentally exactly twice as far - 20.6 vs 10.3 miles). Gradualy moving from full-length Skins to shorts - it's definitely getting warmer. Need to get a couple more pairs of arm warmers as, together with gloves, they are great for regulating temperature and my only pair are getting elderly.
  • Options
    Out of intrigue I just investigated Comrades withdrawals..

If I am understanding correctly, you click 'Withdraw' and then if they find someone to replace you with you get a refund - 15%. If they don't, you get nothing.

I assume lots of people have been withdrawing as IMO Comrades isn't happening.. but is there actually any point withdrawing if theres little chance of getting any money back?
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Thomas, I think Comrades seemed to speak of possible postponement rather than absolute cancellation, so it must surely be better to wait and see rather than taking a very high risk of zero refund?  I doubt there would currently be many takers for an international (or even local) transfer slot.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thomas, great to see you in Liverpool :) Comrades officially sayeth:-
    "with regard to the question of entry fees, we wish to assure Comrades runners that in the event of postponement or unlikely cancellation an announcement will be made of a policy that is in line with CMA’s commitment to putting our Runners First."
    So even though the base T&C say "no refunds" that looks like a commitment to me that money is currently safe, as long as you consequently run the event.
    If you withdraw there is no guarantee that someone will be matched to you, so you lose your entry fee.
    It might be the case that if they shift this thing it could clash with other arrangements you have, but I think both the qualification window and the substitution window will move with it, that'll be the time to withdraw if you can't make the revised date.
  • Options
    Im considering buying a treadmill...I'm not very keen on them though. Normally only use one when its snowy outside :/
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I've only used them when its been exceedingly hot, but even then I have ultimately caved in and gone out in the heat anyway. It must be possible to adapt to them though; as I keep harping on about it... when Alberto Salazar won Comrades, that year, he trained almost exclusively on treadmills, amongst other substances - ha ha!
  • Options
    baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone's keeping well and injuries are getting better. Here in south London I noticed a big drop in the number of people out in the parks today compared to the weekend, and almost everyone doing their best to keep 2 metres apart, despite it being sunny and warm. Is this what's happening elsewhere? Hopefully if this keeps up, and the number of new cases levels off, we'll still be allowed to go out once a day, without any distance restrictions. 
  • Options
    I went for a run just before it got dark (and then continuing after). The streets were very quiet and probably fewer people in the park than usual. Most people were being sensible about keeping distance. Sincerely hope we can keep on going for runs outside. I have a treadmill but now I'm used to running long distances on trails I really don't want to have to us it!
  • Options
    baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Bike It, how are things in SA at the moment? Just seen that the Minister of Police has announced that people aren't allowed to go out for a run during the three week lockdown. Can you still run on your farm? 
  • Options
    Three week lockdown and Comrades office closed until 20th. Guess they’ll be having a lot of virtual meetings these days in readiness for the big announcement!! Chances have to be as slim as it snowing in December in Durban, or this coronavirus saga all being a nightmare and I’m about to walked up?! 
     I’ve noticed their social media postings are a lot more regular than ever before - think to keep people sweet and not withdraw!!
  • Options
    News just in from some one in SA part of the African Marathons group 

Subject to how the Coronavirus numbers go in SA, and assuming there is a postponement of the Comrades, then they will postpone it to the end of September/early October.
    No doubt clashing with 3 Peaks or London now!!! You heard it here first.👍🏻
  • Options
    We have gone into lockdown, I live in a gated community and security and police are stopping people from walking dogs/ going running. We can go get essentials from the grocery store but must carry our ID cards. Drones are being used by the police along the beaches and Marina and people who violate quarantine are being arrested. This is necessary, we have to stop this. I'm still allowed to go to work, I have police clearance although we only have cargo flights so don't need as many staff, so we've split and that gives contingency if one of my colleagues falls ill. Starting this evening we have 3 days of disinfecting the streets and neighborhoods. Hopefully all these measures will help.
    On the upside the weather is beautiful and the pool is proving good training. I'm also running, I don't have a treadmill but the path behind my villa to the main path is 0.1 of a mile exactly so I've been running up and down it. 5 out 5 back for a mile. Then some pushups etc on the astroturf, grass just dies in the heat.

I can't see how Comrades can go-ahead, I also can't see how to train long distances in the heat of the Arabian summer so for me 2021 will hopefully be my first Comrades.

Regarding Hilton hotels, the one in Cape Town is closed due lockdown and have refunded my money, 9210 Rand with no penalty even though it was advance purchase. They contacted me, I missed their call but received an email and they were very helpful.

Stay safe and stay in!! 
  • Options
    baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mark. I wonder if they'll also offer the option to transfer to next year? Guess we won't hear anything until after 20th April now. Hope you're keeping well. 
  • Options
    Dubai runner, I think I'd rather be in the UAE than most other places at this time tbh, here in the UK the damn place is so bloody liberal no laws are enforced strongly enough, our lockdown is if you are seen outside in a group of more than 1 then the police will just advise you (that has come from top dogs in Scotland Yard!), so it'll drag on and on, more people will die, then we will go into full lockdown but am not sure how that will even be policed, with £30 fines only been given as it stands anyway.
    Baldstan, If postponed then I think I shall still do as so looking forward to returning. Terry was talking last week of possibly still heading out even if cancelled and head to Drakensberg and Lesotho again, I went last year and was blown away by it, Valley of a 1000 Hills not a patch on it. If postponed until 2021 I'd probably now be in better shape, managed a 7 mile run on Tuesday which was furthest in over 3 weeks and bloody slow with it, the though of running 89k in 80 just over 2 months is not appealing, and the dream for a silver even less! haa,
    Still at least the sky is blue today!
  • Options
    Mark, if you’re flights are still operating. We have no passenger flights here for the next 2 weeks.

And there’s worse places to be stuck, my sons are in the pool and me and mrs dubairunner are on the sun beds with G&Ts, we may come out of this alcoholics!! 

Oh and in Kuwait there’s a curfew with about a £3k fine for breaking. 

• Options
    Sounds nice Dubai Runner, a cool 16c here today, had 4 days of blue sky and no wind (which is the best part!).
    Someone I know from the 30k I organise has just messaged me. She told me last week that with a heavy heart she withdrew in substitutions and will do in 2021, she was however still planning to go as she as friends in SA. HOWEVER, Emirates contacted her today her flight is cancelled and she is to get refund from Opodo! So if Emirates are not flying there in June, it def aint going ahead in June. Anyone else had already booked with Emirates and had notice of this too? I was not going to book until May anyway (as last year)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hilton have extended unconditional refunds to end June. I just need BA to cancel my flights now and the whole trip will be refunded.
    Still gonna leave my entry in the hat. Was looking into a brightly sun lit garden today thinking about what running challenges remain out there that make me want to run... Comrades any time of the year was one of them, don't forget what an awesome event this is in amongst all our troubles :)
  • Options
    I'm waiting for BA to cancel my flights as well.
    I've just been informed I'm being furloughed from 1st April. On the bright side, I will be getting the partial salary for the next months, I'll be able to do midweek training runs during the day, and I can work on the two running books I'm trying to write. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'll have a job to go back to after this.
  • Options
    Difficult times Debra, sorry to hear that.
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Debra - rough times indeed. Hopefully we will all come out the other side as stronger people.

I've been furloughed as well as of this week for goodness how long. And last night, Emirates have cancelled all my flights so i guess it's just a waiting game now to see when the money appears back onto my credit card!!
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Debra and Marty, sorry to hear about the furloughs. Sadly, I expect there will be many more.
    As to flight cancellations, I'm waiting to see what will happen to my Egyptair flights to SA via Cairo on 2 June. Surely it's time they also cancelled but there is no change in sight yet.  At least my insurance extends to flight losses if they don't refund! Same for my scuba week liveaboard on the Red Sea at end June. Given the extent of the virus in both SA and Egypt already, I now hope they do cancel because I don't think I'd want to go even if existing travel restrictions are lifted by then.
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Marty/Debra sorry to hear that; it really isn't good out there.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Furlough - is that down to 80% salary as per the government's new scheme if the business you work for is forced to temporarily close? On the plus side does it mean you don't do any work for the company at all, so your time is your own? Understand the worries about will the company therefore have space to re-think and will you walk back into a job or not after this is all over?
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Marty/Debra sorry to hear about being furloughed, let’s hope that things will return to “normal” in the not to distant future. 
    Lowrez where did you find about the Hilton? I haven’t yet received an email, I did see this on the website “
    Free changes and cancellations for new reservations made now through June 30, 2020.“ but that seems to be talking about future bookings not existing ones. 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    McH, am I misreading again? I have had an e-mail, maybe it doesn't mean refunds, I'd taken "cancellations" to imply the money would be refunded?
    Existing Reservations. All reservations—even those described as “non-cancellable” (“Advanced Purchase”)—that are scheduled for arrival on or before June 30, 2020 can be changed or cancelled at no charge, up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day.
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Lowrez, I now have a refund :-) I hadn’t received the email, but went via booking.com and there was an option to request the hotel to waive cancellation costs. Came through with confirmation In minutes that my non refundable booking will be fully refundable 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Yeeha! McH, forgotten how I booked mine, but will take a look.