Options

Comrades 2020

Comments

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    So the predictions on when Comrades for this year will be staged so far are:-

September 27th - marty74, Peter R
    Cancelled - with entries carried forward to next year - 1owrez
    Cancelled - with no refunds - Dubairunner
  • Options
    PeterDHMPeterDHM ✭✭✭
    I will go for postponed , taking place on October 4th.  Although that's just a guess!
  • Options
    I reckon postponed too. Mmmm 4th October is London but whether a South African ultra race actually cares about all that I don't know. I don't think they've really kicked off there yet with Covid so I'm going for October 4th too  :)
  • Options
    I’ve measured out a 28 meter running track around my swimming pool. Didn’t want to ruin the grass so it’s all on the non slip tiles. 10 loops one direction, move a counter on the table I’ve set up and 10 loops other direction...
    you get the idea, 300 loops done, 300x28/1609= 5.22 miles

Test done, it tickles. 
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I think Comrades might just surprise everybody and go for  the Heritage Day public holiday on Thursday 24 September - not as much clash with other international majors! 
    However, given that the 24th through 27th will make a long weekend and the Friday would then usually be a widespread day off for most of SA, my bet is on Sunday 27th.
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Terry if that's the date I might be able to make it back to Europe for IM Portugal on the 27th lol

Lowrez: loved the Mars graphic, and see you did a good run yesterday to get yourself on the road :)
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    I’m in the Comrades cancelled camp. No refund but reduced entry for next year is my tuppence worth...
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I think they should go for a double next May, we could run up on the Saturday and back down on the Sunday ( but I’d put my money on it being cancelled, no refund, entry carried over)

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Peter, was your profile picture taken on the set when Pink Floyd were making the album cover for Wish You Were Here? And were they annoyed when you dive bombed the shoot blocking out the bloke who was on fire?

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    September 27th - marty74, Peter R, Terry48
    October 4th - Peter DHM, Southern Snail
    Cancelled - with no refund but guaranteed entry for next year - Mc Hilly
    Cancelled - with reduced entry to next year - Slow Duck
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Dubai - do you get an instant result or are you still waiting to know? I think the next book we set up is on which lap you fall into the swimming pool!

212th - 1owrez
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    MESSAGE FROM CMA CHAIRPERSON, CHERYL WINN

Dear Comrades Marathon Runner,

We are living through unprecedented, unpredictable and unimaginably challenging times.

On behalf of the Comrades Marathon Association, I thank you for your patience and apologise for the extent to which uncertainty as to the status of the 2020 Comrades Marathon may have added to your burden of anxiety, over matters far graver than any road race, over the past month. A reminder that we have promised to put an end to the uncertainty by 17 April.

For the past 32 days, CMA has been inundated with messages, phone calls, intense media speculation, personal representations and social media posts, which have fallen roughly into four categories – support, criticism, anxiety and expressions of concern regarding specific aspects pertaining to the race.

While we have appreciated and been bolstered by the messages of support we have received from runners, we have been equally touched and taken cognizance of the criticisms, expressions of anxiety and concerns pertaining to specific aspects, such as the cancellation of qualifying events, the substitution period, restrictions on training and entry fees.

In this message, I would like to assure our runners that CMA’s number one priority is to safeguard the health, safety and welfare of our runners, staff, volunteers, sponsors, stakeholders, fellow South Africans, and to the best possible extent, the world.  To that end we are engaging closely with our national federation, Athletics South Africa and through ASA will take guidance and direction from our Government as to the fate of #Comrades2020.

Considering the ramifications of the 21-day National Lockdown, and as Covid-19 numbers in South Africa and around the world continue to escalate, it is becoming increasingly unlikely that the 2020 Comrades Marathon will be staged on 14 June.

CMA’s main considerations at this stage are to encourage runners to abide by and respect all aspects and directives of Government in relation to the National Lockdown, in particular to STAY AT HOME and DO NOT RUN outside of one’s own property, as well as regard for the eventual safety, welfare and potential un-preparedness of runners after having experienced a three-week interruption in training, during the critical build-up to such a gruelling endurance race.

With regard to possible postponement, which would require ASA sanction, the CMA Board is of the view that the race cannot be staged later than 4 October 2020 owing to climatic conditions, failing which the 2020 Comrades Marathon will have to be cancelled.

We trust that runners will appreciate that within an extremely congested athletics calendar that is largely constructed around the Comrades Marathon, it is no easy task to identify an alternative date, given the impact it will have on other road running fixtures, the availability of venues and other resources, climatic conditions, and other competitive sporting and entertainment events which are also looking for alternative dates and venues in the latter half of the year.  As repeatedly stated, the decision will be announced by ASA in mid-April.

In the meantime, a reminder that the origins of the Comrades Marathon go back to 1918, when a humble war veteran and railways engine driver had the dream of staging a living memorial to the pain, hardship, injuries and deaths of soldiers who suffered so greatly in the First World War, as well as the spirit, camaraderie and fortitude with which they suffered.

As South Africa and the world is currently engaged in an global war against an invisible enemy, it is perhaps fitting to reflect that the values of grit, determination, courage, hope, humanity and selflessness upon with the Comrades Marathon was founded have never been forgotten, as an entire nation celebrates the triumph over adversity each year, and for each and every one of us to re-double our own efforts to uphold them. 

On a lighter note, a huge cheer to those runners who are continuing to train, somehow putting in mind-boggling distances within the confines of their own backyards. But please spare a thought for the majority of our runners that do not have the option of such luxury. To all Comrades runners, be PROUD of the training you’ve already put in prior to the lockdown. It will never go to waste and you will be stronger for it! In the event of postponement, our Official Comrades Coach will provide advice as to how training schedules should be adjusted to prepare for a race later in the year.

In closing, the issues of qualifying and substitutions will be dealt with elsewhere in this newsletter.  With regard to the issue of entry fees, we wish to assure Comrades runners that in the event of postponement or unlikely cancellation, an announcement will be made of a policy that is in line with CMA’s commitment to always putting our Runners First.

In the meantime, stay safe, stay home, stay well and God bless.

• Options
    That email seems to be edging towards a cancellation to me, but fingers crossed for a date on or before 4 October. The Peterborough marathon has optimistically been re arranged for 13th September, so I will draw up a new plan to get me in shape for that time and see what happens (I didn't have a cat's chance in hell of finishing Comrades on 14 June, I was late starting and then gave up on any form of lengthy training very early in the coronavirus timeline)

Put me down for 27th September (weather on that date last year was a mere 19 degrees and "sunny" B) 

Good luck on the test Dubairunner, and on maintaining sanity in what sounds like a very strict lockdown. 
  • Options
    baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Thanks lowrez for copying the message from Comrades. Based on that I'm going for September 27th being announced as the new date, but in the end it being cancelled this year, with entries carried forward to 2021.
  • Options
    I love the way they're still saying that

"it is becoming increasingly unlikely that the 2020 Comrades Marathon will be staged on 14th June"

• Options
    Can't fault their positivity SS. Sep/Oct won't work for me, it's going to hit 40 degrees here this weekend already and just get warmer.

Lowrez, 350 laps today without falling in, at least until the end. Still awaiting results which should be an indicator of being clear. They contact you within 8 hours if positive and if not got to wait 48 hours until your result is published on the website.

I used to live in Baghdad, I had a 4 kilometer safe route, couldn't deviate as there were still landmines off the path. It was a dusty rather boring route and you could go clockwise or counter clockwise, that was about it. Last week I was reduced to a 160m stretch of path that was private (the police were on it today) and now I have my own garden track of 28 meters. I move a yellow connect 4 counter on the table to the right every 10 laps. 10 laps replace with a red counter to signify 100 laps, and repeat....
    My point is, it keeps getting worse, how long before my route is my bedroom balcony!!

• Options
    baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Dubairunner, sounds like you're heading towards getting a treadmill, then you won't even have to go out on the balcony, and you can still train when it hits 40 degrees.
    Slight change in my prediction (after reading about 'exit strategies' earlier today) for Comrades: 27th September, but internationals transferred to 2021 and then required to provide positive antibody test certificates. And number of international places will be doubled in 2021 so they don't lose out on revenue. Complete uninformed guess of course.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Well done Dubai! Balcony in Dubai you say?
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    September 27th - marty74, Peter R, Terry48, johnny1984
    September 27th for South African nationals only - baldstan
    October 4th - Peter DHM, Southern Snail
    Cancelled - with no refund but guaranteed entry for next year - Mc Hilly
    Cancelled - with reduced entry to next year - Slow Duck
    Cancelled for internationals with a transfer to 2021 if they provide a positive antibody test certificate - baldstan
  • Options
    Baldstan, treadmill is the final option. Really don’t like them. Interesting predication for comrades and one that makes sense.

Got my all clear from Covid 19 testing, think I’ll treat myself with a run in the garden.
  • Options
    Dubai - great news about the test results and an amazing job you're doing running round your garden. I have a treadmill coming soon. I'm actually very excited for someone who also doesn't like using them.

Lowrez - after reading your post I'm opting for 27th too  :)
  • Options
    SS thanks, 460 laps this morning = 8 miles.
  • Options
    PeterDHMPeterDHM ✭✭✭
    I've been using a treadmill for quite a few months and I don't mind it.  It helps to watch virtual running videos on YouTube or use something like zwift.. I find its also easier doing intervals as it gives you something to focus on for set distances / periods of time. 
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Dubai - good to hear you got the all clear.
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Great news Dubai on your result. And brilliant to have run that many laps. Must help to know you can plop into your pool when you have finished though :)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, my wife keeps going on about a treadmill, no doubt she’ll win in the end...
  • Options
    Should have been running the 2 Oceans today instead 500 times around the pool. 
  • Options
    Dubai - shame about 2 oceans of course but amazing running round your pool. That takes some doing  :)
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    500 laps takes some mental strength! Congrats 
  • Options
    Dubai, sympathies and congrats - amazing discipline to manage 500 laps.