Options

Short-notice marathon training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Grenage - Brooks Adrenaline are very good shoes.  It's possible that the damage on the left shoe could be aggravating your knee pain but unlikely.  Any support and cushioning in a shoe is not visible to the eye but deep in the midsole.  

I would advise buying another pair of shoes and a pair that feel really comfortable and lots of cushioning.  Then alternate the two pairs of shoes for your training, this will help avoid injury.   You'll soon know which pair are the ones that you want to do your long runs and races in.
  • Options
    GrenageGrenage ✭✭✭
    Hi Shades,

I might check out a running workshop on Friday, where they check your running style and pronation, et cetera. The shoes have probably done less than 150 miles, but the padding might have gone a bit when I used them for weights.

Today's 5M easy was the closest I've managed to run at the prescribed pace, averaging 10:10m/M. It was also the first run that I've considered enjoyable. The knee isn't any worse, but I iced it for a while when I got back.

I think my knee flared up for the first time when I ran a 5M at 8:37m/M last Tuesday (to see my maximum pace), and then the half made it worse at 9:28m/M. I wonder if it's just a case of going too fast too soon. I suppose I'll know after the 12 miles this weekend at a slower pace, but I might have to turn Thursday's tempo into another easy if it hasn't improved.

Fun times!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Grenage - worth going along to the running workshop, even if you don't buy anything.  I'm not saying don't use the Adrenalines, just alternate them with another pair of shoes (not the same model) to avoid injury.   You can still run in the Adrenalines.  Shoes will last longer if they are allowed to recover between runs, also if you run in heavy rain your shoes won't dry out in time for your next run and wet shoes are very uncomfortable, so having a 2nd pair can be very useful.

I keep quite a few pairs of shoes for training and never run in the same pair even in the same week, and I run 6 days a week.   Some are neutral, some are mild stability.

Yes, swap to an easy run this week instead of the tempo if you still have some soreness from Sunday's race. 
  • Options
    GrenageGrenage ✭✭✭
    Thank you. I'll vary my footwear and see how it goes; I have some neutral shoes which I use for the gym; those are quite comfy, so I'll see how they fare. Hopefully this is just a short-term issue. :)
  • Options
    GrenageGrenage ✭✭✭
    Ahoy!

The running shop looked at my technique on a treadmill and had a look at the shoes, they said they thought they were fine and there was no reason to change them. I ran in my neutral gym shoes and the problem was the same, so I'm not sure if the shoes are the issue. It's hard to say without dropping another £100 on a nice pair of running shoes, but I think I will do so in another month.

My left knee wasn't too bad on the last 12 and 5 mile run, it gets a bit achy after a couple of km but doesn't get much worse for the duration of the run. I think it might be anterior runners knee from simply going from no running to marathon training - but that's just a guess.

With a big 18-mile run coming up on Sunday, would I be wise to skip Thursday for more recovery - or just crack on as normal?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Grenage - that's good that it's not the shoes so you just need to nurture that knee a bit.  Maybe switch any tempo running for easy at the moment.    If your knee is bothering you then you can rest on Thursday this week and if you feel you need the rest.

You can spend a lot less than £100.   Now you know what shoe suits you they are much cheaper if you buy a last season's model on the internet.   Sportsshoes and Start Fitness are very competitive price wise, worth shopping around with the other internet retailers too.
  • Options
    GrenageGrenage ✭✭✭
    Cheers, Shades; I'll shop around.  It's never easy getting bargain shoes in size 14. :)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Grenage - that's big, but you might be lucky on the internet with some end of line stock.
  • Options
    GrenageGrenage ✭✭✭
    Well I didn't skip Thursday, and somehow ran 19.2 instead of 18 miles this morning.

I picked up a knee sleeve, but I don't know if it made much difference. The ache returned after the first 100 metres, but got no worse.  I didn't really notice it after 15 miles because everything else was starting to ache. :)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Grenage - well done that's a great long run, nearly 20 miles. :D

I wouldn't advise running with any support on the knee unless it's a pat strap.   Wearing a support will encourage the knee to become weaker.   But if your knee is sore when you aren't running, just going about your daily life then you can certainly wear it then as it can help when going from sitting to standing, getting out of the car etc. 
  • Options
    GrenageGrenage ✭✭✭
    Hi shades :)

Ah thank you, I shall forgo the sleeve on the runs.  I did wonder if it would lead to weakness, but saw so many runners with them I thought it might be ok!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but that one looks quite restrictive.   This is the type I see runners use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Patella-Knee-Tendon-Strap-Women/dp/B07MZFGDL2/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=patella+straps&qid=1564989615&s=gateway&sr=8-5

But you would need a physio to say if your niggly knee is something that would benefit from using a pat strap.

Most likely it's just your increase in training in a fairly short time has given you a touch of runner's knee.
  • Options
    GrenageGrenage ✭✭✭
    Ah thank you. :)

Yes, I imagine you're right.  Going from 0 miles to Marathon training has been a bit of a shock to the legs. 
  • Options
    GrenageGrenage ✭✭✭
    Hi Shades,

The pat strap is great, thank you; firms up the area nicely!  Quick question if I may; I noticed today that near the end of this morning's run that my pace increased and my headrests decreased - which is at odds to normal.

I was daydreaming and thinking that I should be able to run faster for my height, and realised that my stride had increased.

Do you think it's worth experimenting with running technique with only 7 weeks to go, or should I just plod on add normal?

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Grenage - good news that the pat strap is helping you.

Sounds like you're really starting to enjoy this marathon lark ;)    I think your run today is showing that your training is working and you're getting fitter, hence relaxing near the end of your run and your HR going down/levelling off.

Changing your technique takes a long time and not ideal at this stage of your training.   If you're not suffering any persistent niggles/injuries then just run in a way that feels comfortable for you.  You can try and consciously relax when running, drop your shoulders and steady your breathing. 

You're doing really well :)
  • Options
    GrenageGrenage ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades! I shall do just that; I guess the chances of injury would probably increase if I started messing around.

I've got a week off camping, so hopefully my knees will appreciate the break.
  • Options
    Well today's 35k was ok; drinking more has definitely helped with the heart rate.  When I got back from camping and hadn't been drinking much, I was maxing out (180+) after an hour, but it stayed in the 140s today.

4 hours in total, and the pain really kicked in towards the end.  Hopefully on track for a sub 5 hour time, which I'd be happy with.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Grenage - well done you've really stuck with the training.  Good that you're getting your hydration levels right too for your training, a crucial factor.

I'm sure you'll do a good sub 5 on race day. Thankfully weather is starting to cool and lower humidity too, that will really help on race day.
  • Options
    Thanks Shades.  Quick question about race pace - if my LR pace is 10:30-11:30 m/M, what should I aim for on the big day?  Part of me thinks I should up the pace a little, but I wonder if that's likely, considering how I felt at the end of 21/22 miles at the weekend.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Grenage - are you doing another half marathon before your marathon?

If not I would suggest that you go out at 9:30 to 10:00 pace, no faster, for the first half.  Once you get to halfway just run as you feel.  I'm sure you realise that you'll probably slow for the last few miles, you've trained really well in the short time since you decided to tackle the marathon.

It will be tough for the last few miles but in a race there will be plenty of other runners finding it hard  too but the company and a bit of banter helps as you can keep each other going.  

• Options
    Hi Shades,

Unfortunately no more half marathons before the full event.  Well at least that's not too much faster than I've been doing the long runs.  I was around 9:30 for the half, and although it was slightly hilly, I was quite sore after 13 miles.

Perhaps I'll aim for 10:00 so that there's a bit more in the tank.  As you say, I slowed a bit at the end of the longer runs!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    You've put in some good training since your half marathon and soon you will be starting to taper so your legs will be nice and fresh for race day.
  • Options
    Last check in before the big day.

Last week's 20M was terrible, I managed a little over 18 before I couldn't continue. Possibly due to illness during the week, possibly due to running in the mid-day heat.  3 litres of water on the road and I was still very dehydrated.

Today's 14M run was great; it was overcast and poured down 90% of the time.  No need to stop for water, and much more comfortable.  I managed to maintain an average of 10:16 M/m without much effort.

Here's hoping that the forecast of 12C is accurate.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Grenage - a bad long run isn't a good experience but they happen to everyone.   Quite likely you were still ill plus the heat etc.

Early October is usually a very good time weather wise to run a marathon, no point worrying about the weather, what will be, will be, just dress accordingly.

You've trained well, so good luck on race day, enjoy the experience, there is nothing quite like a marathon, especially the first one ;)
  • Options
    GrenageGrenage ✭✭✭
    Sorry to ask more questions!

The forecast is quite cool at 12C, with rain and wind thrown in for added fun.  Opinions seem to vary on whether one should dress differently - I normally just wear a short-sleeved running top and shorts.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Grenage - that will be fine, you'll be running at a greater effort than training so would feel overwarm if you wore more.   Just check the 'feels like' temperature to make sure there's not a north east wind or something horrific to make it feel a lot colder.

Take something warm to wear to the start and on the start line if they are likely to ask you to put your bags in early.   An old shirt or even a bin bag should keep you warm until the start.   If it's going to be sunny, use sun cream, even at this time of year you could get burnt.

Good luck, enjoy it.   
  • Options
    GrenageGrenage ✭✭✭
    Thank you, then we shall not panic! :)
  • Options
    GrenageGrenage ✭✭✭
    Well that was a day; definitely the most uncomfortable experience I can recall.

The weather changed to clear skies and sun, with the wind being a chore in places.  My co-runners legs died at 17/18 miles and I didn't have the heart to leave him.  Another friend went out too fast and we caught him up in the last five miles.

5:11 in the end, although I am pretty sure I could have shaved 15 minutes off running ahead - that would be the most.  The mind boggles at the athletic ability of those finishing in less than two and a half hours.

Thank you for your training plan, and all of your advice.  I can't see myself going though that again, but if I do, I will certainly start running much sooner than 14 weeks in advance.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Grenage - well done that's a good result.  What a loyal friend you are to stay with your mate.

I hope you'll change your mind in a day or two and think 'maybe' to doing another one.

Before you hang up your trainers, have a good walk today and maybe even a little gentle run.   It will speed up your recovery and save you from several days of very sore legs.