Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2020

Comments

• Options
    Casual 17M, TR. 
    John great news on the bush fires quietening down. Didn’t realise you had done the race before. Sounds a lovely groomed sort of surface. 
    Blimey, Jools. I find when roads are like that you are genuinely best off just ploughing through. I was impressed that the GF5 has an alternative measured course. A spare half marathon route is very impressive. 
    Well ground out, hamo. Slippery surfaces are a real pain. When it’s been especially icy, I’ve used YakTrax. Absolutely incredible. Your could genuinely go for a run on an ice rink in them. 
    Hope the cold is as short lived as mine, Steve. Probably too late now, but perhaps sack off the double to help ward it off. 
    Haha enjoyed the vanilla description of a 10M, Cal. Definitely a marathoner in training there. 

Tight for time on a Wednesday, so light lunch (struggle for someone as greedy as me) at 1200 then running at 1300. 10M light progression. The snotty cold of yesterday seems blessedly short lived, so cracked on anyway. Went from 8m/m to about 6:40 pace. Tough tailwind on the return. Then straight into weights whilst supervising gym. Pleased to have managed aligning hard running days and weights this week. When they alternate days, every day seems hard. 
    With XC on Sunday, I’ll drop this week’s hill session and reduce the interval session to a leg turnover on Friday. Possibility the dark side of treadmill again. 
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Hammo, your mileage is looking very impressive. Some good paces there as well.

TR, 17 is a great midweek run. I think the most I`ve ever managed to do is 15.

The weather looks to be having an impact on this weekend`s events too.  Just heard that the Bramley 20 has been cancelled and our parkrun isn`t looking good at present with trees down and a fair amount of flooding.
  • Options
    Cal - Nice 10 miler.
    SQ - Glad the cold isn't too bad....yeah I went out for my double!
    Probably not the best idea, but I did my 15 mile MLR today, pace very pedestrian, but got it done. Felt crap afterwards though, legs were heavy and felt tired and cold. Was meant to be WFH, but logged on late as feeling crap and grabbed a 15 minute nap which seems to have perked me up a bit.
    Not sure what to do about Saturday's planned 22 miler yet!! I hate to miss runs, but will have to see how I feel. Might have to do some loops, maybe an 8/5/6/3 so I can bail if not feeling the best.
  • Options
    Cal...You've put in some big weeks, no wonder you are tired, good running all the same. No point flogging yourself so close to Tokyo.

SQ...Good progression run, glad the cold seems to have cleared up a bit, all the best for Sunday.

Millsy...Yea the weather is looking a bit crap again this weekend, hope your parkrun can avoid the worst of it for you.

Steve...Good 15 miler, hope your feeling a bit better soon. Loops would be a good idea, no point killing yourself for a training run, but you might feel better once you get going..loops will give you the option.

6 and 5 mile recovery runs for me today.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - hope the xc goes well, if it survives the weather and takes place.

Millsy- i saw Bramley was off, i was offered a number.

Steve - still 2 nighrs sleep, and lots of good food and fluids to be had before Saturday. Eat to compete, and see where you are saturday. I have 22 planned too, looks like a lovely weekend for it!

Hamo - still icy there?

I missed a LT run due to ice, did 2 x 10k as LT runs for those weeks, so hadnt actually done on my own since NYE. So couldnt really wimp out today, a combination of wind and tiredness made it a miserable affair, but its done, i tried hard and we move on. Only averaged 6.30 for the 6m which is slower than my recent mp sections, and i plan to try to run quicker again in the 12m mp next saturday. But as i reminded myself its the effort that counts. Onwards!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I saw that the Adidas carbon shoe has been announced, to go with the Brooks version too. Will be interesting to see some comparisons done.
  • Options
    Evening all. 
    TR definitely effort that counts. Remember that a key part of marathon training is getting out there on tired legs. And fingers crossed this bloody wind clears off one day. 
    Blimey, Steve. That’ll be a big week. Perhaps have a rest day to leave you in the best shape for the 22?

Couple of recoveries today. 35 mins in the morning and 45 in the afternoon. Lots of flooding again, although nice to see the sun. Back a bit sore again, will double down on the stretches and exercises that seemed to help. 
    Possibility of XC being called off. But really? It’s meant to be savage conditions, surely?!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    If theres a likelyhood of trees falling, or difficult for folks to get there ?
  • Options
    Yeah I know. Being facetious really. Definitely important all are safe, especially considering unpaid volunteers will be there for many hours. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    2 weekends in a row being called off would be rare though.
  • Options
    Some races being cancelled/postponed this weekend too. (Does make my job of doing my club's results round-up a little quicker, though!)

Took a rest yesterday and felt a bit more energetic today - I really enjoyed my run. Had toyed with the idea of doing my long run today  but then decided against it, and did 8. Easy pace, but at the faster end of easy. Saw the most amazing bright orange sunrise, which made me happy.
  • Options
    TR...Not icy no, just wet and windy. You are 100 percent right, it is the effort that counts, well done toughing it out, good run and good mental training. I thought the same, the comparisons of the shoes will be interesting, and it wont be long until they are done.

SQ...Nice recoveries, hope the back ache was a blip and nothing too serious. It will be a fun XC for you if its on anyway :flushed:

Cal...It shows how bad the weather/wind has been lately when two weekends in a row have cancellations. Glad you had an enjoyable run, they are nice when the happen and keep the motivation high, good 8 miles.

LT run for me this morning, 11 with 6 at HMP. First 2 mile of the effort went well, 5.30 and 5.31, then i hit the wind on the 3rd mile of a 3 mile loop, it was shocking (30-40 mph gusts apparently) and if i'm honest i just didn't have the head to battle through it. So the next 4 miles were a struggle, as when the head goes its hard to really push yourself i find. Still the effort was there (a bit too much effort at times), if not the pace (miles 3-6 were 5.48, 5.34, 5.40 and 5.42, for an average of 5.38 min miles), and as i said to TR, and I am trying to remind myself, its the effort that counts really. Also, the lakes path was badly flooded in a few places...can you feel the excuses building up :wink: :lol: Anyway its done, and onto the 6 recovery miles planned for this evening.

Not sure if any of you would be aware, but there was a road 5k race here last night, it's on every year around Valentines day, that advertises itself as one of, if not the fastest road 5k in the world, the Armagh International 5k. I've never ran it, short stuff hurts too much :lol: , and you need to qualify for it. They have an open 3k for everyone, a ladies elite 3k, and if you want to run the mens 5k you need to qualify with a sub 16 previous time. It was an amazing watch, the road isn't exactly wide, so loads of properly fast people pushing and shoving to get places, and fly past you. 139 men went sub 15 last night, sub 15 over 5k on the road :flushed: , and 24 went sub 14 mins, the winner ran 13.42 :flushed: Shockingly quick. If you have a spare 10 mins (well 13 :lol: ) google it and watch the youtube videos of it. Awesome stuff, its hard to describe the atmosphere and spectacle of the night. Akin to the night of the 10k pbs id imagine.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done cal

Hamo - its done, move on exactly. I remembered tellung stevei that its the effort that counts when i was running, and knew youd do the run too...........i followed the 5k, some south coast lads go over, they are really good yet were well down. People go from far and wide for that race.

6 easy today, 22m weather beating planned for tomorrow (ive put it out there, so have to do it now).
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Hammo, I have been reading about the Armagh races. The quality is insane
    My weekend`s running is still up in the air. Will just have to play it by ear and get some miles in when the weather is suitable.
    Hopefully everyone can get some decent miles in over the next couple of days.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    24m here (av 8.01). 87 for the week. Onwards.
  • Options
    Cracking long run in this weather, TR. 3h10 or so will certainly see you good in the final miles of the marathon. 
    No two ways about it, hamo. That’s a rapid LT in the circumstances. My coleague’s daughter, Jenny Nesbitt, was racing in Armagh. But I think she’s had an illness and had a tough outing. Outrageous quality throughout. 

Short treadmill speed session yesterday. 5 x 4 mins at 17-17.8kph, 90s jogs. An enjoyable tailwind the whole way for this morning’s run back from the leisure centre. 
    Still hoping for XC tomorrow to be on. Assuming it is, the river crossing will be punchy 🤿. 
  • Options
    Damn that's quick, hamo!

TR, that's a lot! How long did that take you?

Hope you get your XC, SQ.

Did Gunnersbury parkrun today with some clubmates. Some of them ran there as they weren't wanting to do their long runs tomorrow (needless to say, some ran there 13 miles and were still quicker than me!) Anyway, I didn't have my super fast legs on but I managed 25:36, which is about a minute better than the last time I ran there, when I arrived late and flustered and was still hauling my coat off when the RD said go. Managed the trip a bit better this time, fortunately.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    SQ - hopefully you'll still be on tomorrow. The treadie myst be a good option for sessions and specific paces during this windy weather. I have 12mp next saturday, so am hoping for a still day.

Nice one Cal, 2 weeks until the B of the Bang ?.......3.12 for me today, 24 is as long as ill go but ill probably do it another couple of times. Too much time over 3hrs starts to be counter- productive for me....but i did take two gels which helps the recovery.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Anyone had any Kinvaras before? I bought a cheap pair as i have been using Rides and like them, so thought id try a pair of kinvara out.
  • Options
    Can't help with the shoes, I've always been a Nike girl.
    It takes me 3 and a half hours to do 20 on a good day - I can't really avoid running more than 3 hours if I want to go that far. Fortunately my race pace is a bit better. I'd hope to get to 20 in 3 hours exactly if everything goes to plan.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Hope everyone is surviving the weather and managing to get their runs in. Sounds pretty awful though and the risk of falling trees or other objects must be real. Last week a tree fell on a moving car in the middle of the city so a stark reminder to stay safe when the weather goes crazy. 

This week has been somewhat resembling a normal one for me. Tried out a session on Fri, planned 4x3k LT. Left it a bit late to get out though so the paces only reached MP and overheated so had to call it a day at 3 reps. Fortunately speed isn’t necessary right now, just lots of endurance. Today I forced myself out for 20 miles, the longest since NYC in Nov. The early start and cooler weather helped so got progressively faster and finished with an average of 7:52/mile, which is good for me and brought up 76 miles for the week. Fingers crossed my body absorbs that and stays in one piece for the next couple of weeks. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Well done John, a good week ticked off.

Cal - youre not out for too much longer on a 20 than i was yday. I'd typically do a couple of 23 and a couple of 24 in recent maras. Also like i say i take some nutrition, do you?

8m easy peasy pace drenching.
  • Options
    Yes I take gels.
    Rested today - seeing as I'm tapering, I saw little value in braving the weather today. I'll pop out tomorrow instead.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    TR - Big weekend, 24 miles is a long one, and great mileage for the week.

John - Sounds like a solid week of training, good LT (ish) session, a 20 miler and 76 miles for the week.

Hammo - Nice LT session. I never look at my pace when I'm doing a session. If it feels like LT, it's LT.

Cal - Taper time now - always exciting. Nice pr. 

Was a bit of a funny week for me last week. Had a midweek wobble, started struggling on a tempo run Tuesday night, then started a fartlek on Wednesday but just had nothing in the tank. Felt completely wiped out, falling asleep at my desk so didn't run at all on Thursday. My wife said I was looking pretty pale, so thinking I might have low iron. I was really conscious of my diet last year but haven't really thought about it this year. Time to start I think.

Anyway, felt ok over the weekend and, even though I said I wouldn't go further than 20 miles, I had 3 hours to kill after dropping the kids off at dance rehearsals yesterday, so got out for 23 miles. Felt pretty good and the pace just edged up through the run without pushing. Averaged a bit under 7/mile. About 52 miles for the week.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Cal - Just seen reports that they're cancelling the Tokyo marathon for all but the elites. Have you heard anything?
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Morning all. 
    That’s a great week, John. Coming together nicely. 
    Cal, I have just seen some news about Tokyo, the mass participation part of it anyway. Any truth behind it? Really hope it works out for you. 
    Super long run, HA. Especially given the difficulties earlier in the week. I remember us discussing iron before. You’ve inspired me to defrost some liver!

Cross country yesterday was lacklustre to say the least. With events being cancelled left, right and centre, I took a gamble on Saturday night and celebrated half term with a bit too much wine. XC was indeed on - a good thing - although perhaps not ideal with a hangover. I was falling asleep at home about an hour before race start - probably not a great sign. It was horrifically muddy and slippery and I averaged 43s/M slower than last year - and astonishing amount. So I felt a little despondent after. But that said, I loved it as an occasion. Fun, brutal, incredible turn out. No messing round. Another 65M week which is very pleasing. 
    Managed to restore running mojo this morning with my longest run since August: 20M in 2:30. Nice and easy the whole way, and it was good to get out early for a change. I enjoy the peace and quiet and the world slowly coming to life as the sun comes up. 
  • Options
    Also saw the London starts at 0930 this year rather than 1010. I like it - less running in the hotter part of the day, more time for a few socials after. pleasingly it aligns with the coach I booked. A 0440 depart rather than the 0505 I usually get, which didn’t seem to be running. 🤞 for no wild horses closing the M4 this year...
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Great weekly mileage, John, TR, SQ and HA , it really is that time of year again.

XC pacing is always hard to judge when the conditions are bad, I try not to look at pace but it`s hard not to keep comparing.

Cal, Hopefully you will get some good news about Tokyo, seems a lot of rumor at the moment.

I managed to bag my biggest weekly mileage since November. 16 on Saturday and 21 on Sunday brought up 81 for the week. Tired legs and an unfavorable wind ensured that Saturdays 2 x 3 miles at LT pace were well off the mark but HR was thereabouts. Sunday`s 21 was another wet and windy affair with a focus on keeping the HR steady.

I also approve of the 9:30 VLM start, especially if it`s another hot one.
  • Options
    It's officially cancelled - it's on the Tokyo Marathon site. The thing that pisses me off is they are not giving refunds, so if I take up a place next year I'll have to pay again. After spending the last hour or so trying to cancel all my bookings (flights were non-refundable so hoping the insurance will pay out) I am debating whether I take the deferral place next year or not. I didn't much like having to do my long runs in December as it was. I'll see how I feel in a bit.
    At least I still have Manchester - I just have to stop tapering and ramp up again - joy! (At least I can give the Hampton Court half a proper punt next weekend, though - glad I didn't cancel that).

London start is better but still don't know why they don't start even earlier when they have that many runners. Anyway, not my problem, I ain't running!

SQ - mud makes a huge difference to me. The three very muddy parkruns I've done this year have all been over 32 minutes, which is shocking - I am generally under 26 and I go under 25 on a fast course. Anyway, don't feel too bad, especially as you were hungover too.

HA - well done on the 23 you weren't expecting!

A stress-busting 8 with strides today. Felt a bit better after. I'm philosophical about Tokyo - it would have been a great experience but now I can concentrate on Manchester and aim for the GFA.
  • Options
    Bad luck Cal.
    I had my 2nd race in a fortnight cancelled this weekend: Wrexham HM. I’d already paid for the hotel & driven up Friday night so my bargain HM turned into an expensive washout! Fortunately I managed to complete the Full Ponty again as Pont y Bala parkrun went ahead thanks to a courageous & determined RD who persuaded the council he could safely cordon off area in danger from the hanging tree limb left but Ciara right by the normal start. Instead of starting on a hard flat surface we had a squelchy, slippery slope to run up from the river which was slow in the Boston’s! Once on to the gravel cycle path the going wasn’t much easier as we ran in to the teeth of Dennis. I managed 2nd in 20:50 whilst 1st place was 19:16 by a young chap who’s been running low 18’s on a muddy course in Cumbria recently. Trying to run at any pace in to that wind was soul destroying: just managed a 25 minute 2nd run through before retreating back to the hotel for the rest of the day. Sunday was drier but still very windy. Skipped the run but got out for a 3hr slog in the Clwyddian Hills along Offa’s Dyke in the afternoon. In places it was a job just to stay upright & at others the hiking turned into an enforced jog 🤣 At least my 2nd cold in a fortnight seems to have been blown away.