Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2020

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Blimey jools, you're a right mountain goat. Should be making you strong.

Blimey John, i cant believe you run on a treadie so much when you can do runs like that.......i had my usual few beers.

Great news spoons

Steve - as shades tells you, you need a chest strap (or give up), you are trying to work with wonky data.

AWC - youve had a good few days then, nice. Fitness is coming back.

15m here, last 5m approx +10%.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good running folks. Just a walk for me today as it's a rest day. Groin/hip has been a bit funny all day - I don't think it was down to yesterday's run as it was fine when I woke up but not so good when I went for a walk. I did do 40 minutes of rehab before I went out so it might have been something else that set it off. Hopefully it'll be OK tomorrow. I do however have a nasty bruise on my left hip (the good hip) which I caught when squeezing through a narrow gate on my run yesterday. I've always been crap at judging my width - I'm forever pranging me elbow on wheely bins. I need whiskers like a cat.

Anyway, Chicago has bitten the dust. No real surprise there - the good thing is there's an option for deferall for 21-23, or a refund.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Cal, I can sympathize about the hip, I`m also prone to banging my elbows on wheelie bins and lamp posts.

Congratulations on being tapped up Hammo, should be a massive benefit to be surrounded by more runners of your ability.

Haven`t managed to post for a while, work has just started getting back to pre-covid levels so been busy fitting that and the start of P+D in. I managed 72 miles last week including the 18 w/ 8@MP. MP came out at 6.53 so for my first solo session in months I was pretty happy with that. Have the 4 at LT tonight which will be my first solo LT effort for a few years so dreading it.

Steve,as TR says, a chest strap is much more reliable. i`ve been using mine again this year for a few runs and it seems very consistent.

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. I think I know what my easy pace is anyway, so no more stressing over HR data.

Millsy - Nice MP miles.
    AWC - Sounds like good progress.
    TR - Nice 15 miler.

Anyway, my experiment with HR is over. I did 12*400m with 400m recoveries today aiming to hit somewhere between 5k-10k pace. 1:31/30/31/27/29/28/28/30/29/33/31/26. With 2m warm up and same to cool down, that's 10 miles for the day.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Steve: great speedwork there
    Millsy: good work on the MP hitting that pace so soon
    Cal: sorry to hear about Chicago
    TR: strong MLR
    Bit of a trainer story here - been doing MPs/LTs in my Zoom Flyknits to get my feet used to them so I can race in my new Vaporflys (from last November's sale).
    They've been OK but I've never felt comfortable in them and so decided to try my Esclante Racers for today's LT and compare notes.
    So the result was pretty emphatic across the 4 LTs I have done:
    1st 4mi - 7:01/mi (Nike)
    2nd 4mi - 7:08/mi (Nike)
    1st 5mi - 7:08/mi (Nike)
    2nd 5mi - 6:43/mi (Altra)
    Not really any comparison even if you do expect to see progression from LT run to LT run and coming off the back of a recovery week.
    That's almost 30s/mi improvement. Splits were 6:55 / 6:36 / 6:53 / 6:40 / 6:30 - 1st one took a while to get into and 3rd one had a couple of hairpins over grass which slowed me down. The whole session just felt so much better.
    I've been running in zero/low drop/foot shaped toe box trainers for a few years now and my feet feel so much stronger and enjoy the wide toe splay I get so trying to shoe horn them into Zooms was probably a bit naive and I got caught up in the Nike/Kipchoge marketing train - I imagine Jools is laughing to himself now :)
    So the used Zooms & new Vaporflys will be heading to eBay shortly and hopefully I should recoup most of the cost and get a normal pair of Escalante's to train in and keep the Racers for race day.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Agreed no surprise there Cal given the US infection rates.

Good to be back on it millsy.

AWC - to complete the experiment you have to do the next LT run in the old shoes. You might have just stepped up a level. But i hear you, you need to be comfortable. The flynits are a bit too atiff for me and make my feet ache, I'll probably keep my 4% for short distance racing, as i think they are too unstable for marathons, we'll see when racing comes back.

8m easy this morning. Im not doing the LT run myself as i did the long mp run saturday.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I bought a pair of kinvara recently in a good deal, they are 4mm, my usual Rides are 8mm. How do i go about introducing the kinvara ? A few short runs here and there, or do a few miles and then swap shoes? Eventually I'll use them for some fast stuff like AWC.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    TR: I started off walking in low drops for a few weeks. Then went to recovery runs. Then MLRs etc. Normally a few weeks at each stage to let your achilles and calves strengthen.
    Trainer wise I'm too late - Nikes are on eBay and I've ordered some Escalante 2's for non-speedwork!
    To be honest even if I was a few seconds slower in the Altras the difference in comfort and being able to enjoy a race more would still probably swing it for me.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    AWC - cheers, ill start very easy too then. I agree with you on the comfort of the race shoes.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Evening everyone. 
    Mitcham sounds good, Cal, although perhaps frustrating with the roads. Very pleased the body is improving. 
    Haha - yes, Jools. You know you are in P&D company when that is still a MLR. Thanks for the Greenway tip. Might do an out and back on there. Just been in the Forest for a night, near Symonds Yat. Such a beautiful place that you live. I am amazed at the parkrun speed in amongst so much climbing. You are in great shape for a broad range of running. And you’re loving it. Great to see. a genuine question - how much do you miss races at the moment? I guess what am asking, is the overall shape of your running at the moment preferable to that when racing? Just a thought. Doesn’t matter either way. 
    16 miles of whale watching before friends over for lunch sounds pretty much perfect, John. Hope Australia improves soon. I gather they have shut the Victoria/NSW border? 
    So pleased you got to 10M, spoons. Onwards and upwards. 
    Great pace at the end there, Steve. And good to see some reps back in there!
    That’s a cracking MP run, Millsy. 
    Thanks, AWC. Some picturesque and speedy runs from you. Wow, that is quite some difference in LT pace. Hairpin grass turns so sound like they would hammer my average pace, but most importantly, you feel comfortable and fast in the new shoes. No brainer!
    AWC/TR I used to run in very low drop shoes. Loved it and ran some good times, only moved away after experimenting with the 4% and also having some success. The one thing I’d say is that doing a recovery run in them would leave me much more stiff that a faster paced workout. The different mechanics and not picking by feet up as much during a recovery seemed to stretch the calves even more. 

Whilst on some shoe chat, I received my Pegasus 37s. I loved the 35s, but these aren’t as good. Feel a bit slappy and rigid. They’ll be fine for recoveries and buggy running, and do look nice, but not a patch on the NB1080v10. 

After a couple of buggy recovery runs on Sunday, managed to make it to 72M for the week. Whilst there was only one session of real quality in there, that is big miles for me at the moment. 
    A short 4M yesterday morning before taking our daughter camping for the first time. Having forecast sun since booking it, we were a tad unlucky to get drenched throughout yesterday. Having led numerous month long camping treks around the world, I haven’t camped for six years now. And I feel broken as a result! Very stiff from sleeping on the Thermarest. Nonetheless, great fun and I was proud how well she coped. Both knackered today! So only went out for a 3M shakeout, drills and strides.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    SQ/AWC, I used to do almost all my running in 4mm drop Nike Frees. Loved those shoes but I have very thin fat pads in the balls of my feet so once I started upping the distance, my feet would start throbbing (sometimes it would feel like I'd been dancing in stilletos all night...never could wear high heels either, mind you). Made the switch to more cushioned shoes - love the Epic Reacts for training but use Zoom Flys or Vaporflys for racing. (Changing to a bigger drop shoe hasn't seemed to help my achilles though, the whiny little sod).

John, it must be lovely to see whales. I've actually never seen any, aside from captive orcas (which I don't terribly approve of).

Steve - so was it a good experiment? I've not been tempted to try as I know I'd end up having to walk a lot. And I run because I love to run.

Millsy, solid work there - good to hear things are getting a bit more normal for you.

Dodgy groin has been kicking off a bit - feels alright for a while and then I'll get a twinge. I did an easy 6 miles today (no exploring, just local routes, alas) then had a short walk later as I was feeling rather stiff, and did a bunch of rehab.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    SQ Good question. I’m certainly enjoying my running more this year than last. I’d stopped enjoying racing quite as much last year after a spell of disappointing results. In particular the failure to improve my marathon PB despite working so hard at it. This became complete disillusionment after Brighton & the Stratford, but had started to return as I improved throughout the XC season. I miss my Parkrun adventures more than most racing & the camaraderie of local fell races. I did enjoy Sunday’s relay & whilst a virtual race I certainly gave it my all - especially in the 2nd, hour long, slot. I’m happy to wait til the XC season for races to resume. Though I do have a 10K in September which was a replacement for the flooded Wrexham HM. That all seems like an age ago now - pre CoViD.
    Bad luck on the camping weather. I’m in a tent Saturday so fingers crossed the forecast is accurate.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    AWC - That's a massive difference in pace. Most importantly though is that you feel more comfortable.
    SQ - I've recently got a cheap pair of Peg 36's. Different to the 34's I have, but still decent. Might have to try some NB at some point as they get good reviews on Inside Running!
    Cal - Yes, it was a good experiment. Like Shades/TR say though to do it properly I'd need a HR strap for accurate data. But it has helped me run easy for a good 2 months. However from a personal perspective, I think I need the mix of paces in training to keep my interest. While my runs did get slower, my 400s yesterday were a bit faster than the last time I did them, so I didn't loose any speed.

Anyway an easy 5 miles today.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Steve, I definitely need the variety. And I like to throw in some hills every so often, which I couldn't do if I was trying to train to HR. (Well, not unless I wanted to walk them. And if I want to walk up hills I'll just go for a walk).

Speaking of which, while it might have been sensible to rest or go easy today with my hip being grumpy (along with the other bits), I actually did a 10 mile run with some of Streatham's finest hills thrown in. I've run up the common numerous times, but several of the hills I ran today were new to me (I have walked up them - I often use my walks to recce new run routes). There were some real bastards in there too - up to 15% in places. I didn't push the pace - I just ran to the top. My breathing sounded like someone sawing through planks on a couple of them.

Grumpy bits don't seem to be any grumpier than before and I actually enjoyed the run a lot more than yesterday's. So I guess that's good.
  • Options
    super consistent reps Steve, I bet that was much more fun.

TR - well done on the MP session, that’s 3 MP miles ahead of schedule.  

John - well spotted on the MP, P&D has 8,10,12,14 but I’ve added a bit (like TR) and have done 10,12 leaving 2x14.  I think I could be persuaded to abort a run for whale watching.

Great to read of continued recovery Spoons.

SQ - that’s a decent 14m and a good weeks total. Just spotted a very good TT on Strava too.

AWC - proof positive of no benefit from Nike clown shoes - I’ll take that 😛 Great progress.

Jools - the enjoyment shows in some of those climbs, long may it continue.

Cal - rest or hilly 10 miler ? Glad you enjoyed the 10 miler.

Millsy - hope the LT wasn’t too bad.

On today’s  menu was the 5@LT coming out about 6:06 ave so happy with that especially after a few days of feeling sluggish and looking for excuses to postpone long or hard efforts.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Evening all. 
    That’s a super spot of LT in a 14M run, Macca. Especially with the big run at the weekend. You’re in good nick. 
    Cal I tend to take the same approach to hills - just get up then without going crazy. I seem to finish ahead of a lot in races this way - overtaking on the down or flat. ‘Flattening the curve’ applies to HR too 😆. 
    Steve I think the IRP shoe reviews are good, although more telling is what they don’t review... The shoe geeks episodes are good. Go for the NB1080v10 if you can - excellent shoe. 
    Where are you headed on Saturday, Jools? I’d agree about missing parkrun. And small local races. I love the camaraderie. And it is the only time I see a certain sub section of friends, so it has been sad not to see them. 

Headed out this morning for my monthly TT, again paced by my FiL on the bike. Having bottled the idea of a 10k, I plumped for 5M. I attempted the same speed as for the 17:56 5k, but couldn’t quite manage it. A slightly stronger wind, a bigger week in advance or just a bit tired from camping, I’m not sure, but a good hit out nonetheless. One side of the route’s rectangle had noticeably more traffic than a month ago, but the other three sides were completely quiet. Managed to draft the bike quite a bit, although did have to call him back a few times. Very grateful for his services, nonetheless! 29:29 on the watch for 5:54 average pace, with 72ft of ascent. (My PB is 28:18. I have no idea how I ran that fast. Incomprehensible.) Great feeling  to run sub 6 min miling for that distance in a non-race scenario. Probably didn’t enjoy it quite as much as the 5k. Not sure if it’s because it was mentally more taxing to hold on for that much longer, or just a bit tired. Food for thought though about what I am enjoying at the moment 
    Headed out for an afternoon buggy nap stroll - 3M at 9m/m. Considered a fourth, but had a low blood sugar and legs fairly screwed. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    SQ - cracking 5m, its a tough run in training. Youd be under 29 in a race. I did 30.40 for a recent LT run, yet did 36.31 at chichester 10k. I fancy some 1080s. I have some pegs, but my rides are much better.

Good work on the LT macca, esp after a few tough days. Im going to try for 2 x 14m too, esp in lieu of build up races.

13m here, 8 av 8:1X, 5 av 6.59. So around the 10% mark as scheduled.
  • Options

I find optical HR very hit and miss Steve. For me it’s generally ok for consistent pace, but with intervals it’s all over the place. Great 400s, nice consistency.

Sounds like a lovely cliffside run AWC. Interesting about the much faster LT run in the Altras. As you say hard to know from one run, but having a shoe you’re comfortable in definitely helps. Even if it’s just the mental boost of feeling good.

Nice MLRs TR.

Hope the hip is ok Cal! I gave my elbow a whack on a wall last week, and I don’t even have the excuse of it being a narrow gap :D Great 10 miler, those hills sound tough.

Great mileage and MP run Millsy.

Only advice I can give with switching to low-drop is to do it slowly TR. I tried switching very early in my running, and ended up injured because I didn’t give myself any transition time.

Pre-Covid racing does indeed feel a lifetime ago Jools!

Superb LT Macca

Quality 5 miler SQ. Very rapid for a solo TT. 

After Sunday’s 10 miler went well, I couldn’t resist returning to my classic out and back along the canal. Got out early (for me) at 6am to ensure it was nice and quiet. The pace was a lot slower, and the HR higher, than I’m used to for that run, but it was great to be back out there. My legs continue to feel stronger, with more pop, rather than flat, which is positive. Will probably start to try some strides and short efforts next week.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Looks like i need to be careful bringing the kinvara into action then.

Good news at your end spoons, good to see.

I did 9m easy today.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    That’s a good run, TR. A very marked change in pace. Do you ever go through the gears progressively - or just prefer to change and dial into the new speed?
    That’s such pleasing and positive progress, spoons. The canal path has missed you. Was there the usual split of chilled then aggressive swans?

Thanks to AWC and Jools for the Stratford tips. Had a great 10M jaunt, 7:45 pace, chatting non stop, out and back on the Greenway with my best mate. Followed by a pint and lunch in a riverside pub/restaurant garden. The Greenway was a straight and pancake flat path that is lovely underfoot - perfect packed path surface. If you lived in Stratford it’d be a regular and perfect training spot. Nice to run past the river, Shakespeare’s theatre (as a heathen, I don’t know it’s name) and then out into the countryside. Legs quite stiff from yesterday. Got into the run, distracted by talking, but certainly ready to finish after 10M. 
    Forgot I had a beer at lunch when I headed out for the increasingly standard afternoon 3M buggy nap recovery. Slow and sweaty 9:30 pace. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    SQ - is that part of the shakespeare route ? Id be sluggish after a beer too. I dont bother trying to hit the 20% pace early on, i typically start out up near 9mm, get a bit quicker but usually still 8mm, then accelerate up to 7mm. I dont want to use too much energy early on. Sometimes the odd sub 8 just before the pace change.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Spoons, great to see you building up the mileage again.

SQ, I once ran on the greenway in Stratford during the Marathon that got reduced to a half due to flooding. the whole section was ankle deep in water the whole way

AWC, your run around Portland looked good, i may have to start visiting that area when I start the ARC 50 build up over the autumn.

Macca, nice LT session I`m already thinking about the one on my schedule in 11 days

My LT session went much better than planned, picked a slightly downhill start to help the legs turn over and managed to average 6:12 for my 4 miles which i was delighted with. definitely felt the effects on Wednesday`s  MLR. I think my shoe choice made a difference. mentally I feel much faster in my Zoom Streaks but they are only good for 10 miles before the feet feel battered. For MP efforts I used the Zoom Fly which seem to feel better in the latter miles (possibly the carbon plate). It`s looking very likely that my next race will be the CW50 so will put some hilly trails in for Sunday.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Millsy - Nice LT session.
    Macca - Yeah that was a fun session, did 400 recoveries which was probably a bit too long though. Nice LT pace there.
    SQ - Super TT there. Likewise I can never get close in training to race paces!
    TR - Nice change of pace.
    Spoons - Nice run.

6 miles yesterday, 3 warm up, 2 at MP (too fast at 6:41 for both) and a mile cool down.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice 5 mile effort there, SQ.
    Good LT there, Millsy. I guess the Streaks are pretty minimal? Not one of the shoes I've tried.
    Good one spoons - my HR is quite high (150s typically, for an easy run - can get much higher on a fast run) and I often wonder if it's because I run early, after imbibing strong coffee. I'm not worried about it as I don't use the HR training method. If I did, I'd spend most of my runs walking, and I run because I like to actually run.
    Steve, sounds like a productive 6 miles.

Rest day yesterday - spent an hour on rehab and did a bit of walking. Groin gave me a bit of a stabby pain when I was crossing the road and sped up to get out of the way of a car...it doesn't seem to like it when I open up my stride.

Anyway, 6 miles easy this morning (didn't feel all that easy though as it was very humid). Usually body grumbles but nothing I couldn't deal with.
    The good news is I was able to get an appointment with my physio who spent most of it digging his elbow into my sore bits. He said he wouldn't give me any more exercises as I am doing everything I need to already.
    Feel a bit better now.

• Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Good to have got some treatment, Cal. 

Nice bit of tempo there, Steve. 

Cracking LT, Millsy. I can imagine the flooded path wasn’t the easiest to race on. 

Yes, TR. I gather it is the final few miles of the Shakespeare races. I love that kind of surface, even in a race, but my mate said he found it tough transitioning from smooth tarmac to the looser surface of the Greenway. 

Buggy 7.3M recovery this morn. Usual 8:45s. Then some solo trail recovery this afternoon. 9:30 pace. I do enjoy taking it easy! Although I suspect 25C and several stiles played a part. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Millsy - good going on the LT, similar pace to my recent efforts.

Steve - 2m mp is like taper week!

Cal - im sure the elbow will have done you good

SQ - probably a bit similar to some of the smoother New Forest tracks. In the NF10 or 1/2 you think you are going well then hit a stretch of tarmac and it feels like you're racing along for the same effort. Easy miles here today too.

8m inc strides. Long run tomorrow.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Weather looks crap for tomorrow so decided I'd do my long run today (well, MLR, but it certainly felt long). And I decided to do hills again, because I am obviously not right in the head. There were a couple up towards Crystal Palace I wanted to do, but I started by going up to Streatham, up Wellfield Walk (a steep little footpath I did for the first time on Wednesday) then across the top of Streatham Common, down through Norwood Grove (the park adjacent to it), along to Biggin Wood (the small steep wood down the road) and then along to another bit of green space that is called The Lawns, though there is more woodland than grass. I'd run down it last time, so going up was a new experience and it was quite testing. But not quite as testing as Grange Hill, which was one of the hills I'd wanted to hit. I'd come down it last time and it was steep. I think it averages out at 12.something % but it goes to 15 in the middle. Fortunately it wasn't too long.
    I had a brief bit of respite before the next hill I'd set my sighs on. However, the route I chose went down a road that turned out to be quite a steep downhill and I found this quite unpleasant (I could feel my toes hitting the end of my toebox) so I was a bit gingerish about that.
    On a bit from there was the next challenge, Fox Hill. This one has a nice 20% sign at the bottom. It starts off fairly gently but gets steep fast. Again, the steep part isn't very long but...oof.
    I turned right at the top and made my way to Crystal Palace Park and did a circuit there - downhill first, but then a short uphill after the dinosaur lake. From there I made my way back past the bottom of Fox Hill to the next bit, Stambourne Woodland Walk, which is more or less parallel although a lot windier. I'd done this last time I ran around CP and somehow managed to bag a Strava top 10 trophy, so wanted to see if I could beat my time. It starts off uphill before there's a bit of respite in the middle, but then the next bit of uphill hits 18-19%. This was the only hill I pushed on, rather than just trying to survive, and I did beat my time (although I'm still 10th).
    I then went through a park that I'd not done before, which had one steepish downhill bit, but I'd wanted to avoid having to go down Grange Hill again so it was an improvement.
    I wasn't quite sure of the route from there - I did stop briefly to ask a couple which direction Streatham was and they obliged (which meant running up another hill, not to steep but I was tired by that point so it felt like hard work).
    I came out along a main road and realised I was - it runs across the top of Streatham Common so I carried on until I reached a road called Biggin Hill. Ran down that and back through the little wood  then along to the bottom of Norwood Grove. I decided, against my better judgement, to run up Gibson's Hill at the side of it, and then realised I didn't have anything left, so I just did the steep bit at the bottom, cut back through Norwood Grove, down Streatham Common and home from there.
    14 miles in all. Garmin made it 290m of elevation, which is probably more sensible than the 1,207 feet Strava estimated (Strava always overestimates) - still a lot for 14 miles.
    Hip survived OK and hammy was less grumpy than it could have been, though both hams were pretty much jelly by the end. Achilles was the grumpiest today but can't say I'm surprised with the hills, so I'll take it a little easier for a while.
    And now I'm tired.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - hadnt seen a forecast of ropey weather, i had best go have a look. Good run that, i prefer to tick the long run off on a saturday.

21m, last 11m around the target mp +10%. Last mile was quickest so felt strong. Was a bit of a warm one, will have plenty of fluid to replace later.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Top stuff, TR. Yeah, definitely a warm one - it was very obvious afterwards that I'd eaten beetroot yesterday. :D
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone. 
    TR I keep on seeing New Forest marathon updates on Facebook. It would be quite a journey for me so probably not feasible, but the route looks lovely. Good job on the long run. Enjoy the rehydration. 
    Cal you do an incredible job of finding hills in the metropolis. I had nobodies there’d be 20%. 

60M in 6 days (not bad off a 4+3 to start the week) and a bbq and wine to celebrate. Any excuse, eh?
    14.2M with 1000ft ascent, at 7:12 pace this morning. Definitely pushed on by my running partner. I’m usually keen to go slower on a longer run, but as I’d only done one workout this week I was fine with that. Funny that he is stronger on the ups and me on the downs. A real disparity. It did, however, result in my fastest times on the road uphills. Beautiful morning, although quite the tailwind in the undulating second half. Thinking about it, that probably helped with the faster ascent of the big hill early on. 
    Standard 3M buggy recovery nap this afternoon, although I would have been keen for a nap myself. Something like 9:30-10:00 pace. In true TR style, I sipped a cool beer (Brewdog Vagabond) immediately upon stopping, just finishing before the little lad woke up.