Options

2020 in 2020

Comments

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    432k completed, so 1588 to go. Feeling a bit more optimistic about reaching the target: gradually building up.

1588, of course, was the year of the Spanish Armada, a fleet so big it took 3 days to leave port. 130 ships, 30,000 men. In the end it was the Scottish weather that should take the credit for the defeat with a significant number of the ships being wrecked by storms off the coast of Scotland. 

Hope everyone is ok. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    hi all
    I am not ahead but have done 549 k this year so far, leaves 1471

King Edward IV of England conquers London from Henry VI in the year 1471
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    Good afternoon, first checkin in a while. We’ve been in full on lockdown, allowed to leave once every 3 days for groceries but needing to apply for a police permit to go. So for a trip to Waitrose, one family member allowed, upload details with ID card and vehicle registration to the police, await confirmation and screen shot. Wear mask and gloves and get temperature taken on arrival. Assistant sanitises trolley and off you go. I have a permit to go to work, been stopped by the police and there were police roadblocks. Reminded me of growing up,in Northern Ireland in the 70s and 80s.

So with the start of Ramadan we’ve had some relaxation, still a curfew between 2200-0600 and you’re only allowed to leave for essentials but some semblance of normality coming back. You have to wear a mask to leave the house, including running so yesterday’s 6 miler in 38 degrees with a mask on was a sweaty affair. But at least we can go out, up to then I’d measured a 28m route around my swimming pool which I covered 5260 times for 147.28 kilometres.

So currently on 626.15 miles, about 20 behind and 1393.85 to go.

In 1393
    720,000 sheets of toilet paper - 2 foot by 3 foot were produced for the imperial court in Beijing.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Crikey, Dubairunner.  I think we've been "lucky" here in the UK in that we've been allowed to run once a day still.

As for me, I was doing well, but had a niggle with the knee (an injury I've had before), so took it easy for a couple of weeks or so, but I did 7 today without discomfort, which is good, totalling only 10 miles of running for the week.

I'm still doing okay regarding this challenge though as I've done 698 miles, with 1322 to go.

In 1322 part of Ely Cathedral in Cambridgeshire collapsed, possibly as a result of digging foundations for another areas of the building that had been started. 
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Wow DR that is tough indeed
    I've done 610k - getting more miles in now I'm furloughed plus have a treadmill
    1410 left and in that year
    Owain Glyn Dwr of Wales continued to rebel against the English
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Sounds tough, DR! But still ahead of me!

504 km done, so 1516 to go. 

In 1516 Catherine of Aragon and Henry VIII gave birth to a little girl, Mary...and being a little girl caused rather a lot of problems in the ensuing decades.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DubairunnerDubairunner ✭✭✭
    It’s fantastic being allowed to run near your property now, it’s the little things you appreciate although we have to still wear a mask, I’m using a buff. Was glad of it yesterday when a dust storm whipped up out of nowhere, although at 36 degrees early morning wasn’t the most pleasant. We hit 44 degrees early afternoon.

650 miles done so slightly behind with 1370 to go.

In 1370
    Pope Gregory XI succeeds Pope Urban V. And the steel crossbow first used.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    770 done, so 1250 to go.

In 1250, the Rialto Bridge in Venice is converted from a floating bridge of boats to a permanent, raised wooden structure.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I'm still going.  I've reduced my pace quite a lot (training to HR) so I'm very much hoping it means I can become more consistent over the next few weeks.  I usually run events fairly regularly, but I'm enjoying the different challenge of running to HR and so not particularly missing the events at the moment.

I've currently done 840 miles, so I've got 1180 to go.  The last major volcanic eruption occurs of Sunset Crater, in Arizona in 1180.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Not wishing to speak too soon, but the last few weeks have gone a little better, to the point where I am gradually (very gradually!) starting to play catch up. Plenty of time (230 days) left!

1427 Km to go, so 593 completed: in 593 Empress Suiko begins a long reign during which Buddhism influences the development and culture of Japan. She is the first female ruler and the first to receive official recognition from China.
  • Options
    DubairunnerDubairunner ✭✭✭
    That’s the spirit alehouse, glad your running is coming back. Good going BigG.

Well Comrades is cancelled, so got another year to train!

I’m also slowing down the pace but due to the heat. 701 miles done so 1319 to go.

In 1319
    Battle of Myton. Robert the Bruce defeats the English.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Progress continuing here. Just hope it can be maintained!

635k completed so 1385 to go. 

1385 saw King Richard ll of England invade Scotland; despite burning Holyrood and Edinburgh his army was unable to press home the advantage and they returned home. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Things are going okay over here, so hoping that will continue!

913 miles completed with 1107 to go.  

Alexander I, posthumously nicknamed The Fierce, was the King of Scotland from 1107.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    676 completed, so 1344 km to go. 

In 1344 Bablake School was founded in Coventry. Many a moon ago I used to play rugby against Bablake. But not in 1344. The game hadn't been invented!

Friday sees the 150th day of the 2020 in 2020 challenge, so in theory you should have covered  828 km or miles. If you haven't, don't worry: there will still be 216 days to go. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I hadn't planned for this at all, but I've done exactly 1000 miles so far :)  I'm doing well so far, but I'm not counting my chickens yet!

With 1000 done, it's 1020 to go.  In Europe, the year 1000 is sometimes and by convention considered the boundary date between the Early Middle Ages and the High Middle Ages.  
  • Options
    Well done Big G 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    1064 done over here, so 956 to go.

1064 is an error code that probably has frustrated many would be database programmers.  It can mean that there is an error, and the software doesn't understand what the programmer is asking it to do.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    1253 km done, so 767 to go. Gradually catching up! The trick I guess is to catch up a little each week! Still 206 days to go!

The 767 is of course a wide body Boeing airliner.
  • Options
    Lagging behind here, night time curfew means can’t run past the early evening till 6 in the morning. Humidity has been building, temps already in mid 30s in the morning building to mid 40s during the day.

825 miles done so 1195 to go. About 80 miles behind schedule.

In 1195
    Henry the Lion, duke of Saxony dies.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Hope the curfew is called off soonish, DR! 80 miles is nothing: as of today there are 200 days to go on our little challenge, so that is less than half a mile a day to catch up!

805km done, so 1215 to go. 

In 1215 King John and others were getting ready to sign Magna Carta on June 15th, whereby the king agreed that he must follow the law rather than simply rule as he wished. Current politicians may want to take note!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Interesting stat for me is that in the last 365 days I've done 2265 miles....so on that basis I'd have made it if the year started tomorrow :)  I'm very much on track for 2020 as I've upped my mileage through lockdown but I know from last year that anything can scupper progress (I didn't make 2019's challenge but some margin)!  So I'm still not counting my chickens.

1200 done with 820 to go.  In 1200, the University of Paris receives its charter, from Philip II of France.
  • Options
    Good going Big G. Although seems a little strange that you were able to up your mileage through 'lockdown'.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I've just had more time on my hands and circumstances have allowed it.  I have followed the lockdown rules to the letter - I haven't broken them once.  In my case, over the last 3 or 4 years I have been doing a fair number of marathons a year, so when I'm doing a couple of marathons a month or more my weekly mileage is a) lower and b) less consistent.  During lockdown I've also changed my training, by running to a low HR, and niggles have broadly cleared up which has in turn helped me be more consistent. 
  • Options
    Big G, I wasn't insinuating that you weren't following the rules. Just sounds funny, I'm behind due lockdown. But we couldn't go out for exercise and needed a police permit to grocery shop once every 3 days. We still have a night time curfew when I would do the majority of my running in the summer. Because of this I've finally after a decade in the Middle East bought a treadmill. Gets delivered tomorrow.

863 miles done so 1157 to go.

In 1157
    Henry II grants a charter to the merchants of Lincoln. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry, DR, I realised I came across a bit short.  It's just that I got it in the neck a bit from a small number of other runners earlier on in lockdown, even though I wasn't doing anything wrong and it was their interpretation of the guidelines that was incorrect.  Early on it got a bit muddled as Gove said something about 1hr of exercise in an interview.  Then news outlets - even RW - pounced on that and started writing articles about it, which then promoted the misinformation even more, but that was never official government policy.  I read the official policy many times and there was never a time limit set for our allowed one lot of exercise a day.  So I was going out for say 90 or 120mins on very quiet trails with hardly anyone around and got a small amount of stick.  I couldn't be bothered with it, so then hid all my runs on Strava.

Later on, the exercise restrictions were lifted which then allowed me to run twice a day, so it's not really a "lockdown" now.  Since then, I've done quite a few double days all at my base HR (again a lot on quiet trails or quiet times of the day), which has contributed in helping me to up the weekly mileage, whilst all of my runs since then have been 10-miles or under.

Ooooph, not great about the treadmill, but I can understand if the curfew makes it tough with the humidity etc.  For me, what I noticed when I used to use one at the gym (so that was many years ago now) was that there was no air movement.  I.E., outside you run along, which can be cooling, but on a treadmill you're basically moving but not going anywhere, so there's no cooling.  But my gym was a bit budget so there was no air con or anything like that.
  • Options
    Big G, no problem. The rules in the UK do seem a bit disjointed. I've just cancelled our flight to London this summer as I don't want my family anywhere near the UK and my employer, the Dubai government won't approve my travel to there anyway with such a high infection and death rate.

Had the aircon set at 22 and still was sweating on the treadmill, only had time for a 20min run once it was set up. Will pick up some fans to position around it.

• Options
    Treadmill is working well even if it is a little boring even with Netflix. I'd far rather be outside but not in this heat!

895 miles done so 1125 to go.

In 1125
    The Battle of Azaz. The Crusaders led by Baldwin II of Jerusalem defeat Selijuk forces. 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    909k competed so 1111 to go!

I shall be listening to 909 for a good part of the day (radio 5 live) given the amount of football matches. May catch a few on tv. 

Note that by the end of Wednesday we will have had half the year, so in theory we should be around 1010 k or miles, depending on our targets. I will be behind, but am still gradually catching up. 
  • Options
    So half way and currently on 925.69 miles. That gives 1094.69 to go. Confident that it can be done with my recent purchase of a treadmill. 

In 1094
    Duncan II invades Scotland with Norman knights and overthrows his uncle King Donald III to become ruler of Scotland. Later that year Donald kills Duncan in battle and retakes the Scottish throne.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Was just going to post to say that at the end of the day we will have completed 183 of the 366 days, i.e. half way. 

DR: I make that 1094.31 to go for you! And am confident that you can get to 2020, as I am. 

Marginally ahead of you (in metric!) but 79.4k behind the 1010 that we should be at. So 931 done, 1089 to go. 

1089 is a particularly magical number! Write down a three-digit number whose digits are decreasing. Then reverse the digits to create a new number, and subtract this number from the original number. With the resulting number, add it to the reverse of itself. The number you will get is 1089!