Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2021

Comments

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Great to see you've found some mojo at last Spoons. If you fancy a longish run on decent trails in the Forest sometime give me a shout before you get too quick :)
    Really pleased to hear you're up & running again too Cal. A bit of faster stuff obviously did you some good.
    After an enjoyable fortnight of shorter runs post SWT I drove to the Lakes Friday to take part in my annual Triathlon: the Half X.
    Wasn't expecting great things having only swum once a week for the last 2 months (after 22 months off) & barely doing any biking either.
    Arrived at registration with 15 minutes to spare having taken almost 6 hours to get up there. Fortunately race HQ, T1 & T2 are all in Waterhead car park so having dealt with the formalities we parked up on the flat bit, got the Kelly Kettle out for a cuppa, sorted the back of the Passat out ready to sleep in it, adorned the bike & helmet with their latest set of stickers & chatted to a few other competitors.
    Headed into the water a few minutes before 8am

Came out after 40:47 in about 40th place after swimming across Windermere to Brathay & back from Waterhead, so not great but not a disaster.

Did my usual faffing in T1 so didn't leave til 45:24 but hadn't lost any places as most others were equally relaxed about this part of the event.
    The OH was supporting again & she greeted me with hot coffee in T1 then headed up to the summit of Wrynose Pass which I'd pass twice on the bike at 23M & again at 47M. This was her view :D 

As you can imagine she was a tonic to all of us with her enthusiastic whoops, cheers, sustenance & hot drinks.
    I stopped for a couple of minutes each time.
    Going out:

Coming back with Jelly Legs having done Hardknott both ways!

As you can see the roads were a little damp :D 

Back to T2 after 4:45:02 for the 22nd fastest split of the day. I'd survived without coming off (unlike several others) or snapping anything on the bike.
    The last K or so of the bike overlaps with the 1st K of the run & I spotted several competitors who'd recently begun their final leg so knew I'd have some targets to aim at. Still spent an inordinately long time in T2 but no-one else arrived before I left.
    I then started hunting folk down. The first 2.3M of the run is almost flat but then it kicks up viciously with 1800' over 2M before a flattish mile then another 1000' in 1.3M to the summit of Fairfield. You then turn & retrace your steps back to Transition.
    After 1.5M the lead man passed me heading back for a stunning 6:01 finish!
    I caught & passed my first on the steep steps up to Nab Scar and then another at Heron Pike & again at Great Rigg. By now we were in thick clag so I had no idea how far the summit was or whether I was closing on anybody. Approaching the summit half a dozen runners came down encouraging me by telling me it was less than 400m away.
    I got to the top, posed for this pic & then caught all bar 2 of them on the descent then held them off on the flat to finish in 17th overall & 12th fastest run time.

Enjoyed a nice sit down at the finish line cheering everyone in afterwards

Had a great day but I would love to do this race in the dry again. I had said I was done with Tri but I'm sure I've got a sub 8 in me with the right training & better weather so I may well be back next year :p 
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    TR: well done on the half. Sounds like a sensible decision given the conditions. You have a great base to start training for a proper crack at an autumn marathon
    Cal: good to hear things are returning to normal again.
    Spoons: good to see you back posting again.
    Macca: do you mind me asking what your previous LL100 finish times were and what you think is realistic as a target for us given we have similar 100 mile finish times? I just have no idea what to aim for or even how to go about sticking some kind of marker in the sand.
    Jools: really good SWT report. Loved the moment were you got swept up in the excitement and realised you were up for a crack at it! You totally nailed the training with all that ascent week after week. You look so good and strong in those photos and great to see you totally enjoying yourself which is amazing given what you'd put your body through. Those last 5 miles sound tough and I know from experience that 5 steps can feel like a long way at that stage never mind 5 miles in those conditions! Superb read - really really enjoyed it. And well done, what an amazing achievement and what fantastic memories of it with some great people. I'm sure something to look back on fondly for years to come
    Just a lunchtime recovery for me today - had my 2nd jab yesterday and felt a bit tired so decided against a speed session.
    Last week's recce in the Lakes went well. I can feel my legs have really benefitted from the SDW100. They felt much stronger than my 1st trip to the Lakes so all my hill work and descending is obviously paying dividends now. The really big difference in the Lakes is that you can't make up time on a lot of the descents - they're too technical (for me anyway!) to be able to bomb down them and recoup any lost time ascending, which frustrated me before but I've learned to accept this.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one AWC, sounds like you had a good week and are in good shape at the mo.

Bizarre this end, as i feel super fresh, with no smoked feeling which id usually expect the day after a 1/2. Ran 5m home, could have done more. Guess im too much of a diesel at the mo to be able to run quickly.

Todays govt announcement might mean autumn maras are good to go? With the loosening of restrictions, but not the end of isolation for the double jabbed, i can see myself having to isolate again the way infection rates are going.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Jools: didn't see your tri post as I was drafting mine. Another great job. We were in exactly the same place a day apart!
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

A long time no post. Too much screen time already, and prioritising the running! I will enjoy an epic catch up, but thought it better to jump back in rather than delaying forever and then boring everyone recapping a month’s worth of running - although no doubt it has been epic and I have really enjoyed the photos.

Frampton-upon-Severn 10k last Monday evening. Pretty good evening for it - 19C, very low winds, overcast. My goal was to start sensibly and aim to pick it up. I guess I kind of did this, with a steady 6:07 opening mile. Ended up more or less this maintaining this pace, albeit with a slight negative split. A solid 38:22, but certainly nothing spectacular. 2.5 mins off a PB 😞

Nice to post a first post-stress fracture 10k. For some reason, I am really struggling to truly push myself. Don’t seem to have it in my to ‘bury’ myself like in certain races. In reality, I am just probably a chunk heavier than in PB days and this is the biggest factor. Only really writing this here to try to keep myself accountable 😆

Got pinged on the NHS app and had to isolate Thursday - Saturday. Not a massive surprise given my proximity to Sixth Form - especially as we have sent them all home due to numerous cases. That said, a definite ball ache given a double-vaccine.

Definitely didn’t do a solo Moose Fartlek on Thursday whilst working form home. 

Anyway, 65M for the week, so a solid base continuing to be built. One more week until the 12-week countdown to London. 

As a birthday gift, my wife has entered me into the Bourton One Mile this Saturday evening. I reckon it is the only PB I could possibly scrape - wind dependent! Although despite run Britain accepting the cashola, there seem worryingly few details available. 

• Options
    Jools - Great SWT report.  Really does sound like an epic day. Reading it reminded me of reading about a Bob Graham Round or similar.  I’m not sure I’d enjoy the cycling in the Lakes in that weather as much though.  Great placing and sounds like a strong run.

TR - excellent result at the half and fully justifies the switch.  Agreed in a TT it’s difficult to reach into the back of the hurt locker. First in age cat, congrats indeed 3rd vet overall.

Cal - well done on the training half, shows you haven’t lost everything with the lay off. Sometimes no rhyme or reason to feeling great or not.

SQ - well done on the 10k. I ran a similar time a few weeks ago and had similar feelings of not being able to rinse myself, I guess I’m carrying a bit of extra baggage too.  Hope you can get to the end of term without further pinging, it’s getting a bit silly round here in the schools.

AWC - I’m  happy to bore anyone silly with LL talk.  Back in 2018, Centurion 100 finishes in 20/21 hrs translated to a 36hr, totally unprepared for the elevation and trashed feet, it wasn’t pretty.   2019 - 19 hr Cent finish translated  to 33hrs , better prepared & forewarned but feet still trashed, ugly last 30 miles.

I would hope that if I can crack looking after my feet a sub 30hr should be possible which will be my goal ( subject to effects of WW100).  I did a bit of research and reckon LL100 is worth 8 hrs over a Centurion event for those at the sharp end, the less well hill adapted, the more + hrs. 

I hesitate to advise anyone on time where so much can happen but for me I’d be looking at 28-30hrs if everything goes well. I jotted some splits down of various finishes , I’ll see if I can dig it out.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    SQ: that's a dangerous game letting the wife buy you presents like that! Still at least the pain will be over in 4:xx minutes :) I imagine a lot of people are struggling to bury themselves at the minute - I know I certainly am but that may not be a bad thing in the long run. Isolation is a pain in the bum. I've rearranged as much as I can in the 10 days before Lakeland to avoid it at all costs (isolation not Lakeland that is!). Especially as I got my 2nd jab on Sunday.
    TR: I've just seen Southampton have confirmed everything is now going ahead in September for them so expect others to follow shortly I imagine
    Macca: working off my recces I was thinking 1.5x my Centurion time was a sensible aim so c30hrs which fits in with your comments. I'm not massively concerned about the time but it does help to have some idea if I should be pushing a bit harder or holding back. PS I may have a few more questions for you in the next few weeks!
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    SDW100 Report
    Its taken a while but here is the race report.
    Race Plan
    The plan going into the race was simple - run sub 20hrs and get a decent workout in the legs for Lakeland 100. It was 12,000ft vs 18,000ft ascent for the 2 races so should give me a good feel for how my hill training was going.
    First Half
    The first 35 miles were pretty easy - quick aid station stops and met my crew (Dad/Sister) at Cocking (35mi).
    After leaving here the day really did start to heat up and as it did I began to feel more and more nauseous getting into the middle of the race.
    I got to Washington (54mi aid station) is 9:15 which was exactly the same as my 2019 time so I knew that sub-20 meant running the rest of the race much quicker (2019 time was 21:03). I got some food and an ice cream from my crew which felt amazing but it only gave me slight relief from my nausea.
    Second Half
    By now it was mid afternoon, 25 degrees and I was feeling cooked. I felt like vomiting the whole time. Honestly thought my race was going to be over. But despite this I was able to keep moving well whilst feeling terrible.
    70 miles in and I met my crew again who had chips from the local chippy waiting for me at Jack & Jill Windmills. This settled my tummy a bit for a while but that soon passed and the nausea returned.
    I now knew it was heat nausea and not a dodgy tummy so I kept going, knowing now that I was far enough into the race to finish.
    I still kept my watch though and told myself that all I can do is keep going and see what happens.
    I was only able to eat small amounts of food and sip water now. Sugary stuff made me feel like hurling so ham wraps and water was it till the end.
    I felt a bit of a change coming over the Downs and into Firle Beacon (86mi). There were lots of crew and a great atmosphere with some bells ringing and lots of cheering. Stopped with my crew to get clothes and head torch ready. My wife and kids were on facetime which was a real boost. This whole crew stop gave me a real boost and the motivation to get the last 14 or so miles done as well as I could.
    It also made me check my watch and I realised I was way ahead of sub-20 schedule now which was surprising and that I could really just jog things in to the finish.
    I ran to the next aid station (92mi) with the women's 2nd place finisher and her pacer. This helped take my mind off the nausea as there was plenty of chat and it kept me moving at a decent pace.
    The rest of the race as pretty uneventful apart from having to poo in the woods on the final descent into Eastbourne. I must have lost about 10 mins here faffing around.
    Finish
    Then it was on into Eastbourne, around the track and finished in 19:19 well ahead of the sub-20 target.
    I didn't particlaurly enjoy large parts of the race due to the nausea - it was difficult to talk to people and take in the views when all I wanted to do was vomit all the time.
    I sat in a chair at the finish and started shaking but feeling really hot and sweaty so my body was really reacting badly. Took me a good 1/2hr to get up and into the car and I had to be carried by sister/dad. The nausea gradually left me on the way home which was a relief.
    Aftermath
    Recovery took ages. I didn't run for over a week and I was more swollen and hurting than after any 100 before.
    Something went badly wrong on the day and I'm not sure what it is - maybe a bit of sunstroke, maybe pushing too hard in the sun. Who knows but its not something I want to repeat.
    The other mistake I made was too many gels and sweets early in the race. That kick started the nasuea as I was popping gels like I was in a marathon which is crazy in hindsight. A valuable lesson learnt before Lakeland. I'll be sticking to wraps and soup etc much more.
    Still having said all that I was delighted with the result and pleased that I battled through some very tough times to run a course PB by c1hr 45mins and a 100 mile PB by c50 mins
    I've learnt so much in advance of Lakeland and I feel really well recovered now - in fact my legs have felt great on the hills this last week.
    It really reinforces the value of a tune-up race and how much you can learn from them :)
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Sounds grim AWC. Well done on toughing it out feeling like that the whole way. I expect you were pushing too hard in the heat. Great that you're felling so recovered already. Shows how valuable a proper bit of R&R can be post-race.
    I'm stubbornly pursuing my goal of RED2021. My minimum run is 4M although I made an exception the day after my SWT and relaxed that to 5K as a one-off.
    So 4.3M yesterday at lunch & again today.
    Tossing up whether to go swimming or join some other runners for a further dozen this evening  :D 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    When is that L100 Macca, that sounds tough !

AWC - blimey, you put yourself through it in that one, cracking result esp controlling the nausea. A race where ice creams and chips are involved seems crackers, but it obviously works. Well done. Hope you and macca both go well in that LL100, it sounds gruesome.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice one, Jools. I can safely say triathlon is not in my future - I don't like swimming, let alone in cold, dirty water, and I can't ride a bike (my only effort as a kid ended up with an altercation with a rose bush, after which my friend's mum sent me home covered in iodine. I never tried again). I respect the hell out of people who do, though.

What a ball ache, SQ - at least double jabbers won't have to isolate soon, but not soon enough for you unfortunately.

AWC, huge well done to you for achieving your target despite everything. Having run precisely zero ultras, I'm ill-placed to offer advice, but with the heat it sounds like your electrolytes could have been off from all the sweating. On another note, one of my other hobbies is riding rollercoasters and visiting fairs and if I do a few too many in a row and exceed my ride tolerance, I always find salty chips (with vinegar if possible) really helps settle my stomach.

As with the last two weeks, I did back to back XT days...30 mins elliptical plus lower body rehabby stuff on Monday and then 35 elliptical/10 cycle ergometer plus upper body weights yesterday. I was intending to run yesterday but the weather was crap so decided against it.

The benefit of that was that I was fresh today and got out nice and early for a MLR. This was another explorer run, going out to Pollards Hill (somewhere between Mitcham and Norbury). Thing with places named Hill is that you never know whether there's going to be an actual hill or if it's more of a gradient. When I got there, I figured it was the latter, as it started with a rec that had a fairly gentle upward slope. But then I turned a corner and there was a big, steep grass hill which (when I checked on Strava afterwards) is 18% in the middle. I started off attempting to run it with short little steps, but ended up walking at the top. I am so unused to hills at the moment that I admit I was struggling, but given that I shouldn't really be running hills like that at the moment, I'll give myself a pass. The view from the top was really good, anyway, so I stopped to admire it for a moment before carrying on.
    I then passed through Norbury Hall Park, which I've not run through before - it's rather small and mostly taken up by tennis courts, but there are a lot of nice trees.
    From there I found a footpath which then turned into a railway bridge which I also walked (I usually walk any stairs I encounter on a run, partly to save my knees and partly because I'm convinced I'll catch my toe and fall chin-first into the steps above) but it came out into Norbury Park so I cut through there. Streatham Common was on my way back but decided against that as I figured running more hills wouldn't be in my best interest at this point.
    By the time I got back I'd run 10 miles, mostly at a reasonable pace (aside from the warm-up mile, the one with the hill and the one with the railway bridge, I was averaging around 10:20). My HR is also returning to pre-injury levels (it did get up to 170s on the steep hill but was mostly 150s for the rest, which is normal for me). So I definitely seem to be getting back somewhere to where I should be.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    TR: LL100 does seem a bit gruesome at the moment, particulalry the time element of being on my feet for 30+hrs over 2 nights.
    Cal: if anything it was too much electrolyte for me - I was having electrolyte tablets in every bottle of water because I was sweating loads. But reading up on it sounds like its possible to have too much as well and it can affect the stomach. Probably a combination of all the factors creating a perfect storm.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Sounds a lovely run, Cal. 

Careful with the RED, Jools. Remember your wise words on Ron Hill. Although if anyone can do it, it’s certainly you. 

Great write up, AWC. What a day! Seriously touched out. 

Treated myself to a 5am Three Hills of Cleeve. 1500ft over nine or so miles. Decided on this as it is always a great challenge, but also for the mental training it would require. The final hill is so steep, that the only concern is not to slow to a walk. Hope this will toughen me up a bit for future races! Well rewarded with some stunning views at the top. 

Passed an older runner twice towards the end of the segment, whilst in the middle of nowhere. Slightly concerning that, despite being in usual running kit, he was carrying a metal claw hammer. 

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Well done SQ. Must get over to Cleeve for a crack at that one. Been meaning to for 3 years or so! I'm sure he was 'running' an errand with the claw hammer: I've been known to run along the local forest trails with a machete :D
    Nice MLR Cal.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I wonder what he had that for, SQ?
    Jools, that's also rather worrying. :lol:

An unremarkable 5 mile recovery plod this morning...I don't much enjoy these sorts of runs really...I either like runs with speedy bits, or longer runs where I can explore. But can't do those every day eh? The good thing today was my HR was in the 130s which is the lowest it's been on a run in a long time.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good HR there Cal. Mine peaked at 199 today & averaged 163 but whilst I was working hard it was definitely down to a HRM malfunction.
    Still stubbornly maintaining RED2021 here #239 was a lunchtime track session: 5x 2'30" off 90"+1'off 1' Recoveries were a brisk walk to get back to the start each time.
    The longer reps averaged 6:12 pace & the shorter ones 5:54, so roughly 10K/5K PB paces but are hopefully close to current 5K/Mile paces. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - he was probably on his way to some monkey business.

Good session jools, sounds a bit mad the RED plan esp the days after any long races.

10 yday, 10 today.
  • Options
    AWC - fascinating report, I’d assumed everything went like clockwork looking at your time.  Goes to show what progress you’ve made the last couple of years to get that time from a tough day out.  My middle section was similar without the nausea though. Mouth was so dry I couldn’t chew food, all I wanted was water and eventually ran out of energy.  I also picked up when it cooled and I could eat better.

SQ well done on the hill work.  I can imagine some being upset by coming across that if on their own.

Jools - well done on the RED2021 especially through the SWT and tri. 

Cal - more good runs, those 5s will do you the world of good.

TR - straight back on the car bonnet.

Wendover Woods 100 tomorrow - I’d better start packing.  Hopefully finished by the game on Sun ( actually before lunch sat would be a good result).
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    All the best Macca, hope those steely legs serve you well again.......yes, more or less back on it immediately as i felt fine Monday, rather than the unexpected smoked feeling for a few days. Bizarre, i guess i didnt try hard enough. But i only did 5m monday and put a 10m limit in place until the weekend just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    Morning all, I have been reading along for a little while and think it's time to join in the conversation...starting Monday I am going to have a go at the 12 week up to 55 miles plan in preparation for London marathon. Have done 3 marathons before but made up my own training so will be good to follow a structured plan and see what I can do. Marathon PB is 3:49 and half PB 1:41 so hoping I can improve on the marathon time, fingers crossed!
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Kate: welcome to the thread - I think 18w/55mi was my plan for my first marathon. I found it a good balance between doing enough to improve whilst not completly knackering me out! Good luck with the training and look forward to hearing how it goes
    Macca: sounds like we have very similar experiences. If nothing else it has given us some more mental fortitude for the Lakes. Good luck at WW100 (mega ascent!) although I see its just started and looks like Stuart Leaney has someone to keep him honest this time round.
    TR: good to hear the recovery didn't take long
    Jools: RED2021 is a serious challenge especially with the other serious challenges thrown in with it. Nice intervals on the track - I do find them a bit easier mentally being on the track.
    Cal: Snap - I find the 5's can be a bit something and nothing and wonder what the point is sometimes. I try and mix up my routes a bit to at least keep it interesting. But good job on the HR - that bodes well for the coming weeks.
    SQ: nice hill work - that sort of session really builds mental toughness especially fighting that urge to walk. The claw hammer though is slightly concerning!!
    I've done a couple of speed sessions this week. A 22x30s [30s] on Tuesday and 5x3min [3min] yesterday; I enjoy a bit of speedwork in the middle of big mileage long stuff. They're a couple of sessions I have experimented with after reading Billat's Science of the Marathon book. Interesting read if you are interested in the physiology of marathon training and complements the P&D stuff well. If nothing else it gives me a bit of variety rather than trying to stick to P&D all year round.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Welcome Kate. I'm sure you'll make decent gains at both distances from following the plan. Look forward to hearing how the training goes.
    That Billat stuff is certainly working wonders for you AWC. I expect it's the change in training stimulus provoking different adaptations.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Welcome Kate!

Good luck Macca, that's going to be brutal. I'm sure you'll love it. 

I've had a week of crap sleep (no problem getting to sleep...just can't stay asleep) so decided against running yesterday and did a gym sesh instead.
    Today I did similar to last Saturday - 2 miles warm-up followed by a harder 5K effort. I did a different route (mostly around the outskirts of Wandsworth Common) and it was early enough that I could get across all the roads without stopping. First mile 9:10 - not great, but the warm-up miles were just under 11 so I was still finding my pace. I squeaked under 9 for the next one and then managed 8:37, which is around HMP, for the last one (the .11 was a little slower but I ran down an alley and had to do a couple of tight turns). This gave me 27:53 for the 5K which is just under a minute faster than last week, with no deterioration on the last mile. HMP feels like a sprint, but I'm getting there.

I'm feeling a bit annoyed that, while I've been running a bit more and have cleaned up my diet quite a bit, I've managed to gain two pounds instead of losing them. I was hoping to get closer to my racing weight for next month but my body seems to have other ideas.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Massive congrats to Macca - 5th place. Only 19/49 finished - must have been brutal (well, 30 retirements...10 have finished, 9 still going, one of them 70 years old!)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Kate - welcome aboard, P and D will make you nice and strong.

AWC - interesting, i can see the pace changes in training will provide a new stmulus, im not sure i agree with her idea of race day pacing.

Cal - well done, good improvement in a week.

Well done macca, you're a tough nut.

Did an easy paced time on feet 20m today in the rain, 77m for the week aftera hm bizarrely. Defo think i underperformed last Sumday.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice work on the 20, TR...and the mileage. Most I've ever done in a week is 62, I think...I usually peak in the early 50s.

I opted to have a crack at the route I'd planned last week up to Wimbledon Common and around the Wimbledon Trail Series route. It was a complete fail (navigationally speaking).

It didn't look that hard when I checked the map from when I ran it in 2019...how wrong I was. A comedy of errors including:

1) Overshooting the first turn and then, realising my error, still taking the wrong path and ending up on the A3.

2) Getting so disorientated that I mistook the Kingsmere lake for the Queensmere.

3) Missing the Queensmere altogther and therefore the Rifle Butts hill.

4) Turning off the path onto what I thought was the Rifle Butts only to find myself trying to scale a slippery slope that got so steep I had to resort to all fours. It was not a path.

5) Running into the playing fields instead of around them and somehow managing to do a loop the loop.

6) Thinking I knew where the Toast Rack (path) turn was because I'd found it on my own once before. I did not.

7) Stacked it on a tree root trying to find the aforementioned Toast Rack it so I had to go home with dirt all up one side of me (fortunately the ground was soft so I wasn't hurt, aside from my pride).

On the plus side, I got some practise running around the common again (which is a lovely place to run - saw quite a few bunnies today as well as a heron), and I covered 15 miles which is the furthest since January. Pace was terrible on the common due to the terrain, trying to figure out where I was going and stopping to (firstly) check a map board and (secondly) asking for directions, not to mention picking myself up after falling over. It was decent on the way home until I got to the last couple of miles. The penultimate mile goes uphill...not that steep but a grind when you're tired as it's quite long...so I slowed a lot there and then didn't have much energy left for the last mile. I did consider stopping at 14 and walking it in but told myself to man up and I'd be home quicker if I ran. Pretty much the same self talk I use during marathons. :lol:

• Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Good time for me to delurk as well maybe.  I think I last contributed to the 2018 autumn thread (ran Berlin) but have kept reading on the forums and on strava.  

I've just signed up to the Lucerne marathon at the end of October and will be doing P&D up to 55 miles with a bit stuck on here and there (also been doing RED since Mar 2020).   Mini mara history:  4 road maras so far (PB 3:26 in 2018), plus 2 alpine ones.  I took 2019 off to get my HM time down (1:34:xx PB) then the pandemic stopped any chances of getting back to maras so far.  

I started in on week 3 of the 18 week plan this week and managed a good 4 mile tempo run on Thursday so a decent start.  

Macca: incredible stuff - well done on your high placing.

Have a good Sunday and I hope the footie goes well for anyone interested this evening.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    That was a good read cal, very entertaining. 15m is decent, nice to see you getting back to it.

Nice one on committing for Lucerne Hazel, if i remember you are in Switzerland or Germany?

Going to stick with the Sunday turbo for a while, as i think im in ok shape at the mo. So 75min done today, 10min, 12x4min/1min, 5min. Hopefully me legs wont be too ruined to run on tomorrow.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Welcome, Kate 😊

Nice 20M today, TR. 

blimey, Cal. Quite the run!

Great to have you back, Hazel! 

AWC - I have heard a couple of Billat interviews. Have to focus to hear what she is saying, but good stuff nonetheless. 

12 weeks to London 😱

A second ever mile race last night: the Bourton One Mile Challenge. Ran 5:21 there two years ago - I thought that was slow back then, so a painfully slow 5:39 this time. Have run a 5M at that speed!

Nonetheless, a fun evening. 1830 start, rolling waves job. A one mile charge into the town centre - which is essentially the tourist capital of the Cotswolds so very picturesque and lots of atmosphere. 

15ft elevation - so nothing really, although the consistent ascent on Strava looks hard!

Good to do something well outside my comfort zone - both physically and mentally. Would like to try a track mile sometime. 

15M buggy today. 7:50 pace. At least I am half decent at this niche activity 😆 

Saw this - a friend or someone in the running club. Running Everesting in a day. All on the middle hill of my three hills route. Bloody hell! 

IMG_7387png

• Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Jooligan said:
    Well done SQ. Must get over to Cleeve for a crack at that one. Been meaning to for 3 years or so! I'm sure he was 'running' an errand with the claw hammer: I've been known to run along the local forest trails with a machete :D
    Nice MLR Cal.
    That’d be great, Jools. Give me a shout.