Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2021

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good grief, SQ!  :open_mouth:

Today is definitely a gym day (it almost always is anyway) - legs were very stiff yesterday, even to the point I had to make myself go out for a 2 mile walk in the afternoon to loosen them up a bit (and yes, I did stretch). 
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Oh dear - I hope everyone survived yesterday evening and there are not too many sore heads today.

I live in Switzerland TR (from Northampton originally).  Nice work on the turbo.  Mine is currently gathering dust in the corner of my office.  I'm no cyclist though I do trundle around the local area and sometimes a bit further.  Got the (very basic) turbo last spring when I was worried about being shut indoors for lockdown (didn't happen fortunately).  Have a good run today.

AWC I see on strava you also use a Coros watch - first one other than my own I have seen so far.  Do you get on with it well?  Battery life is certainly very impressive.

Well done on the mile SQ.  Nice pics on strava.  Never done a mile in anger.  I certainly wouldn't see a 5:xx.  Good buggy MLR on top.  Bloody hell indeed to Everesting in one day.  Can imagine he has some SQs as well.

Enjoy the gym today Cal.  Good idea with the walk post run yesterday.

Finished last week off with a too late MLR just short of 15 miles.  Good for training the head as much as the legs as it was hot in the sun and pretty muggy.  Always tempting to duck out earlier than planned but saw it through.  Usual too fast start combined with the conditions meant I didn't want to pick up the pace over the last few miles much.  Need to sort out my pacing for the up and coming longer runs.

Short (5k) leg loosener this morning felt ok.

Have a good start to the week everyone.
  • Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Nice to see a new name Kate. Good luck with the 12/55. What’s your starting point? Have you had decent mileage the last few weeks?

Also an old name- Hazel too. - and Spoons. 

A few weeks since I posted.  Can’t read back all the posts but some phenomenal ultra running performances from AWC, Macca and Jools. 

I had another training false start and went 8 weeks from late April to mid-June averaging 6mpw - and that set me right back. Anyway, things settling at home -  June 22nd felt like last-chance saloon to get cracking if I wanted a half decent Newport Mara 18 weeks later. 

Although paces are poor, and the idea of attempting 8m@MP a non-starter, I got the mileages in to match the first 3wks of 18/55. Keep that up another 3 weeks and hopefully the switch will have been flicked in terms of performance. Hope to keep going this time. 4 bottles of beer watching last night’s devastating football match won’t have helped with the weight loss plan ☺️
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Well done NE. 3 weeks is a decent start to consistent training & you should certainly see a rapid improvement after 6 weeks of 6 mpw. You might have to reassess MP though.
    Welcome back HazelnutCH - it certainly has been a while.
    Well done SQ - I'd struggle to trouble 5:59 at the moment so 5:39 seems pretty good. Couple of clubmates had decent runs there.
    Great to see the return of so many threadsters & some new blood too. It's been a little empty on here at times over the past 16 months. Covid must be receding! 
    I had a quiet week with just 46M. Friday was 5M, Saturday 7M & Sunday 11M. Got soaked on all of them though Friday's was all sweat :D 
    No quality at all & my body was grizzling from the off yesterday. I had done several hours of unaccustomed garden clearance Saturday pre-run.
    Time to start getting a bit more marathon specific but not just yet as it's my final Monday track session before the welcome summer break.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    SQ - well done on the mile and the buggy long run, the mile will have been a shock for sure.

Well done on the 15 Hazel. Im trying to keep a turbo a week going (id like to do 2 ideally), if another lockdown occurs then I'll be used to it.

NE - sounds like you're doing ok now. 4 bottles is no problem, you'll soon burn that off......beer is an essential food group for me.

Jools - you've put in some pre mara strength work lately for sure. Youll just need a bit of speed work now !

Mlr monday is back, 14m run home.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Hazel: good to see you back. Yes I love my Coros - it was £300 for a battery life of 36+hours and the equivalent Garmin is at least double that. It removes the hassle of having to charge on the go during my long ultras. Its very simple so for anyone who loves all the bells and whistles the Fenix 6 is definitely better. But for me all I need is pace/HR/distance and a mega battery and it ticks all those boxes.
    TR: I haven't experimented with Billat's marathon pacing strategy. Basically I was struggling with motivation for my speedwork and I heard her on a podcast so bought the book. And now I'm looking forward to intervals again and them seem to be working pretty well.
    SQ: she is hard to listen to. She did a podcast with Jonathan Edwards her co-author and that was really good as he did a lot of explaining https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/billat-30-30-short-intervals/id1363389413?i=1000506173913 1 mile sounds painful and character building!
    NE: well done getting the 3 week mileage up and good luck getting into the harder stuff
    PS Billat's book is £3.99 on Amazon at the minute for anyone interested.
    I'm in full taper mode now for Lakeland next Friday.
    Trying to plan my day as I've never started a race like that at 6pm in the evening. Need to work out what and when to eat during the Friday. At least I won't have my normal sleep troubles before an early race.
  • Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome, glad I inspired you to delurk too HazelnutCH!

SQ - I can't imagine 1 mile with a buggy, let alone 15, that said there were a couple of buggys at a 10km I did recently and one was attempting a nappy change on the start line 😆

Northender - starting point is an average of 35 miles a week this year, mainly easy miles with a few races thrown in more recently.

Cal - I really enjoy reading your London adventures. I live in a rural area with fewer roads but still worry about getting lost, it is so easy to stick to the same routes, I must try and mix it up more.

I finished last week off with a 13 mile MLR Sunday afternoon and started this with 8 miles GA this morning.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    AWC - any change of training stimulus is a good idea.

Kate - well done, keep at it.

9m inc 4m temp this morning so a quick turnaround,. Did the first 4m of my commute 6m tenp route, the first 2m was slow as expected due to the hills, the next 2m i expected to get some time back on the flat but it was into the wind, so the av pave was slow, but i tried hard, so we move on.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good lord, Kate...that doesn't sound very sanitary!  :lol: There's a very fast guy in my club (not quite elite, but not far off...he was a pacer at the women's olympic trial event in Kew Gardens) and he sometimes runs with a buggy. I said his kid must feel like Lewis Hamilton when he's pushing.

AWC - mostly carbs, I'd say. I've done a few evening races but nothing longer than a 10K - I have to be careful what I eat before as it takes me an eternity to digest anything and I am prone to reflux. I generally stick to carbs.

Had my usual two days off post-Sunday (this is only since coming back from injury - I'll be back to one day off soon, but I felt pretty beaten up after my Wimbledon misadventures). Elliptical and lower body rehab on Monday, then 20 mins on the cycle ergometer plus upper body yesterday (elliptical was busy). If I keep using the hand cycle thing I'm going to have shoulders like a kayaker. 

Today was a near repeat of my run last Wednesday, including Pollard's Hill, which I was ready for this time. Managed to get up it without walking this time, though not sure I'd call what I was doing a run, exactly. I just kept telling myself "short quick steps" and I made it.
    I changed it up a little after that - I took the longer path through Norbury Hall Park (I didn't realise I'd taken the short cut last week as it was my first time through) and then a different path through Norbury Park, up to Streatham Common (another hill) then decided on the fly to go up my old frenemy, Hill Path, which is a real bastard. I took it slowly.
    Unlike last week, I did throw in some fartlek-ish surges here and there and picked up a couple of Strava trophies on the quieter segments (most of which I'd created myself - I am a prolific segment creator). Annoyingly I'm just 1 second off a crown on Pollard's Hill so I will have to go back and get that once I'm a little fitter.

Anyway, this will be a slightly lower volume week, with my Wimbledon Trail race next Wednesday evening. I'll likely do a shorter run on Sunday - 10 or 12 miles but no more than that. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    And a super easy 5 mile recovery this morning. Saw a green woodpecker in flight, several foxes and a heron, and got to pet a very friendly rough-coated Jack Russell puppy just after I stopped.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the welcome backs.

Sounds like your restart is going well so far NE.  At least you will have had fresh legs at the outset. 

Can imagine the quiet week was needed after your recent outings Jools.  Summer break sounds good - if I remember right you are a teacher?

Nice start to the week TR.

Similar to my experiences with the Coros then AWC.  The price was also what encouraged to get one.  I've tried to follow a route on it a couple of times and struggled a bit but that is maybe due to my not so great navigation skills.  Will we be able to track you on the Lakeland race?  I remember following a dot for Macca around a couple of years ago.

Easy to get into doing standard routes all the time Kate, similar for me.  Can you turn them around or put together bits of routes into a new one? 

Nice bit of fauna to look at this morning then Cal.  Can imagine the puppy was cute.

This week has been pretty easy so far with no LT run and I wasn't overly bothered by a set of hill sprints and strides on Tuesday.  The hill could likely have been steeper though.  I need to sort out not overdoing my pacing on the easier runs though as I should keep the legs fresh for the harder stuff.  (next week has an LT run and an MP paced run). 

• Options

Kate P – belated welcome.  Sounds like you have a decent base, hope you enjoy following the plan and good luck for London.

Hazel – welcome back, I thought your runs on Strava were consistent, didn’t realise you had RED since Mar 20. Good luck for Lucerne.

SQ – well done on the mile.  Such a specific distance I imagine (only done it once in about the same time).  That single day Everesting is mind blowing.

NE – keep plugging away, consistent consistency and all that. Good luck for Newport.

Almost feels like we need a list but that might jinx things.

Jools – take it easy on the gardening – I have to remind myself sometimes that a circa 50m week is still a decent week for most folks.

Cal – I’m always impressed with your ability to ID things, I see lots of birds and dogs, seldom have a clue what they are.

TR – you’ve slipped back onto the bonnet seamlessly after the half, bodes well for Brighton, as you say, keep logging the sessions and move onto the next one.

AWC – the 6pm start threw me the first time.  All I can recommend is doing as little as you can during the day.  It does give you the opportunity to eat better over the hours before than if you were asleep for a 6am start eg.

Wendover Woods 100 for me last Friday/Saturday.

I dnf’d this 2 years ago so the desire to just finish was strong. A very small field, around 50 runners set off 8am Fri for 10 x loops of Wendover Woods with 2,000ft elevation/descent per lap.  With 2 aid stations (every 5m) and a drop bag every 10m logistics were simple.  The first lap was so humid (even at 8am) that when I got my phone out I couldn’t operate the touchscreen as my fingers, shirt, shorts and the phone itself were covered in sweat.  I found out I was in 11th which seemed about the right pace/place to be.  Apart from 5 steep climbs per loop, hands on knees jobs, most of the course was very runnable aside from a wooded section where the recent rain had left ankle deep mud.  My nemesis, wet feet, would come into play later in the race.  I seemed to make progress up the placings purely from people dropping out. I don’t really remember passing anyone, in fact, for long stretches I hardly saw any other runners.  I did see two squirrels and a deer though.  Towards the last few laps my pace dropped from around 2.30 hrs per lap to 3.15 hrs on the final lap, in part because my quads were saying no more descents and partly because I had been a bit keen on the initial climbs and was now running on fumes despite eating very well.  So mashed feet, some unusual chaffing where the sun don’t shine, sore quads ! and a general feeling of having been run over by a bus but it was worth it to put the dnf ghost to bed (mixed metaphor?).  25hrs 55mins for 5th place with 18 finishers

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Keep at it cal, good to see

Hazel - defo take the easy runs easy. Hill reps dont have to be mountainous esp if the are quicker ones

Macca - cracking effort again, youre a tough nut. Youve backed up some amazing ultra this spring and summer, thsts the 3rd 100m ? What do you have later in year?

8m yday morning, 10m home tonight. Brighyon 10k never happened, last few weeks have been far too hectic.

My eldest and his gf have tested positive for CV, its rife again round here esp in the youngsters. Avoiding isolating again is going to be tough, esp as spo has a family wedding next weekend.
  • Options
    Thanks TR - yes that’s 3x100 and 1x50, starting to feel it too.  Next up LL100 next Friday, same as AWC. 

Similar story round here, eldest’s school has gone virtual for the last few days of term and jabbed neighbours, next door but one, have got it, possibly from said school.  Whilst trail races are the way to go I can see problems arising if check point staff are isolating although it’s starting to feel like races on/off isn’t really a big deal again.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    TR: bit of a nightmare this self-isolation thing now with so many cases. Thenkfully we have primary kids and they seem better than the older ones. Rife here too. I'm living in the house apart from a daily run.
    Macca: cracking effort at Wendover. Lovely forest to run in although not so good on the quads etc. Looks like you've bounced back well from SDW100 - just need another bounce for next Friday. I've not been this excited about a race in years - watching the mass start with the opera song gets the hairs on my neck standing. Plus the recces really whetted my appetite - its the sort of terrain I absolutely love so feeling super excited.
    Hazel: good luck with the LT and MP next week - great week's training that. Yes Macca and me will have live trackers - I will post the link next week. They are also doing live Facebook feeds from all the checkpoints and start/finish
    Cal: I love creating a Stava segment like you! You are so good at noticing stuff on your runs - I'm aware of animals/birds etc but often don't recall exactly what I've seen
    Fairly short runs for me now with some bits of intensity thrown in - 20x30s intervals yesterday and 4xhill repeats today. Just reminding the legs of what's ahead.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Amazing stuff Macca, hope you recover a bit for next week. You'd breeze an autumn mara.

AWC - hope you go well next week.

I need to get the spo to ditch the wedding in order to try to reain isolation free, due to go to Wales 3 wks time.

10m in this morning, very sore quads, hopefully just from s and c tues pm. Few frothies later then a long run tomorrow.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Solid start to the plan, NE. Keep it up. 

😆 Kate at the nappy change. I guess I risk things by not even taking a nappy with me. No doubt I have cursed it now! Good work on the MLR. 

The short hills and strides are a good feature in P&D I think, Hazel. I need to include a few more!

You are a tough son of a gun, Macca. Great going!

Sorry to hear that, TR. Yes, definitely rife amongst teenagers here too. We had two restaurant/pub booking cancelled due to staff isolating/cases. 

Massive good luck to Macca and AWC today. Hope it is going well!

A fun few days back in Sussex, again lucking out with the weather. Highlights included 9M including 3 x 10 mins threshold (6:30 - 6:50ish) off two minutes jog, a ten mile explore along the wonderful Saltern’s Way trail, then a Mario Fraioli fartlek special around the marina today: 1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2-1 minutes off equal recoveries, paces 5k-10k-tempo. 

So nice to run somewhere different, especially with lots of stunning trails and traffic free routes. 

Rearranged 5M race coming up on Wednesday. Think I might have raced this distance six or seven times and have never been over 30 minutes. With the predicted heat, it is going to take an almighty effort to maintain the record!

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Macca, saw it on Strava - amazing. The DNF rate was through the roof. Well done.
    AWC...I daresay it's because I go a fair bit slower than everyone else here...  :lol:
    Hazelnut...I was a primary PE teacher for give years but haven't worked since the end of 2015. I'm a landlord so I get income from that but not much. Last year was shocking as I had three months with no tenant and had to reduce rent to get someone in, then had to buy a new fridge, boiler and pay for umpteen repairs so I was living off savings. Not ideal when I already lost flights to Tokyo and Chicago. It was a bad year, financially. Very bad.
    Well done everyone on your runs - hope you all manage to stay away from Covid.

XT day yesterday (45 mins elliptical plus some rehabby stuff). Wanted to run but woke up too late to get out before the traffic and heat (needed it to be quiet for my 5K tempo).
    Went out early doors today instead but it did not go well. My Garmin refused to pick up a signal so I started anyway as it's supposed to be able to find one on the move (it has done in the past, no problem). Did a slow 2 mile jog to warm up but decided to stop and restart my watch to ensure I had proper GPS. Then did my run. Came in over 28 minutes so slower than last week and it felt like I was working harder - not surprising though as it was warmer and muggy.
    When I got back and uploaded my runs, the 2 miler had no map at all - GPS had failed, and while the 5K had GPS the route was all over the place. I only had three segments and one was a crown where it thought I'd run at 5 minute mile pace. Given my best mile was 7:20, it was obviously way out so I flagged it on Strava (a crown is only worth having if you actually earn it, IMHO...and I'd never be able to beat my PB on that segment so I'd rather not have it).
    So not ideal. Not sure if I ran 5K or not, but eh, it is what it is. I'm blaming updates - got one yesterday and another after I got back so perhaps that was the problem. I'm going to have a short walk later to check it's working again.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - nice one on the Salterns trail again. Not surprised on the pub bookings, the big pub near my house has had so many cases its closed. Hope the race goes well, and is sub 30. I never got to use my Brighton 10k number weds this week as work was too hectic.

Cal - i wondered wether you worked as you seem to have lots of time available. My garmin has updated recently and now proposes a training session everyday (which i ignore), not sure what it thinks im training for.

5.5m, 10m ~mp, 4.5m. Hilly run out and back but the 10m is mainly flat. Didnt set off until 10 so copped a bit of a heat beating (around 27 or 28 here this afternoon), and my quads were still a bit sore, but with a "one mile more approach" from about 4m i got the 10 done. Tailed off a bit in last couple of miles to end up with 6.41 av, which is a smidge slower than last time out, but good prep for an oct morning in london. Hilly 4.5m home was awful, and felt a bit ropey for a couple of hours, probably from the combination of the effort and heat. A few cold frothies later wont touch the sides.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on Wendover again Macca.  The distance, accumulated asecent and descent is jaw dropping enough but with those conditions on top...  And another 100m next weekend.  

TR - sorry I've never worked out what an spo is..  Tough for your family with the infections and the risk of more.  Hope you had a good frothies fuelled long run today.  (beer = liquid bread to some Germans so all good stuff). 

Certainly be careful not to catch anything this next week AWC.  I guess it is the first time you are doing LL100?  

Nice holiday running SQ.  Good luck for your race on Wednesday especially in the heat.  

Certainly a tough year financially indeed Cal. A five minute mile would be nice indeed.  Good honesty on the segment crown.  

38 miles for the week so far with a 16m planned for tomorrow.  Warm and humid so will try to get out fairly early - will be even more humid then but I don't want to get caught in the strong sun again like last week.  Need to think of a route yet - some of my standard river based ones are likely inaccessible at the moment.  
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It's going to hit 30 today in London, so I was out just after 5am (it was already 18 then which is warmer than I like, but as it was an easy run I can deal). Took my hydration vest, which I normally wouldn't for a run of that length and was glad of it, though I forgot to squeeze the air out of it and had to put up with it sloshing the whole way (I got used to that after a while, but then I'd pass someone and get stares :lol )
    With my race on Wednesday (god help me, it's going to be hot then too) I decided to stick to 12 miles and did my Clapham Common > Battersea Park > river > Wandle > Tooting route, though with a couple of small variations. I took a more scenic route through Battersea Park rather than the main carriageway I usually use, and was rewarded by seeing a lovely big heron. He wasn't in the least bit scared of me and I was within touching distance of him as I ran past.
    The river is always nice and flowers smelled particularly good today. One section had loads of poppies just growing out of cracks and walls.
    Once I came off at the Wandle, I managed to find the correct route through Wandsworth to the next bit in King George's Park, including a small stretch of Wandle hidden behind some shops.
    I didn't push the pace on this one so averaged around 10:40ish, but even so HR was higher again due to the weather. Lost a couple of pounds, too, so made sure to have SiS hydration tab as soon as I got in (I had one before going out, too)

Good luck anyone running or racing today - stay safe and hydrated.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hazel - yes, id like the beer in Germany. How did yr run go today. The spo is the sports prevention officer.

Cal - blimey cal that was early, well done. You didnt have a 2am breakfast?

Went walking with the spo this morning, wasnt going to run in the midday heat again, so stuck with the Sunday turbo, but that was still a warm one.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I had a 4am coffee. I don't do breakfast before most runs as I get reflux. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    4am ! I remember you saying you need to wait before you run, so wondered what time you were up. Top commitment.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Ah - thanks for the explanation regarding spo TR.  hmm - have a part-time one of those at home too.  Turbo in the heat sounds pretty tough.  Do you cycle outside at all? 

Don't know what would get me to get out of bed at 4am.. I like the way you look around on your runs Cal - not just head down and left-right, left-right.   

Long run went pretty well yesterday TR thanks.  bit over distance at 16.95 miles (whoops, sure I could have done 17..) and I definitely ran a bit hard during the week - idiot - so didn't want to try the classical speed things up a bit over the last miles.  It was warm and windy and I got a bit dehydrated on top despite fairly regular access to water and carrying a small bottle in my waistbelt.    I got my head around the distance well  by splitting it into quarters, thirds, half-way or time for a bit of fuel (gel, marzipan stick in dark choc) as it suited. 

Popped out for a short leg loosener prior to work this morning at a modest 7:30 am.  Should help against the legs stiffening up too much from sitting at a desk for hours.  New shoes as well - Mizuno Wave Rider 24.  Need running in a bit.

Hope everyone else had a decent weekend.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hazel - i cycle to work and run home, then reverse it the next day. I dont cycle properly nowadays as i havnt done a triathlon for a few years. Well done on the long run and the passing the time games.

It was still pretty scorchio at run home time today so i did 10m rather than the monday mlr.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TR, it's because I sleep poorly. I have terminal insomnia (it doesn't mean it kills you...it means you wake up early and can't go back to sleep). More so at the moment because it's hot. I was awake before 4 this morning thanks to my flat peaking at 29 degrees yesterday. Amazingly I did get to sleep OK even though I was in bed by 9pm...earplugs seem help me sleep better even if it's not especially noisy.
    Well done Hazel...not sure I could stomach marzipan on a run. Gels are as much as I can cope with (and maybe melon...I had some during a trail race two years ago and was fine, though I was going pretty slowly in that one).

XT day yesterday as usual, but run today. Since I was awake before 4 I was out a couple of minutes before 5. Sad to see a dead fox in the road near my house...looked like a young one. I've reported it to the council as it'll get ripe pretty quickly in this weather.
    Ran up to Clapham Common via some back streets, across there, down some other roads I wanted to explore then on to Wandsworth Common and back via Tooting Common. Saw herons on Clapham Common and Tooting Common. Back home and showered by 6.30am. 
    Not really looking forward to my race tomorrow, it's going to be roasting hot and it's not that easy to get to (it starts by Wimbledon windmill which is a couple of miles from the nearest station)...hoping someone will give me a lift, especially on the way home. 
    I also have to see the cardiologist tomorrow. I really don't think there's anything wrong but since I have the appointment, I might as well get checked out. Not sure they'd approve of me doing a race in hot conditions but I'm just going to get around, I think.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    I see regarding the cycling TR thanks.  Sensible to cut down that run.

Wish I could get to sleep earlier so I can get up earlier Cal - you were finished with your shower before I was out of bed!  My downstairs neighbours tend to be a bit noisy and go to bed late.  I use earplugs but if I hear something then I am listening for the next noise and stay awake.. grr.  I find gels harder than marzipan strangely.  Takes forever to get one down.  I hope that fox is moved soon.   Fingers crossed that the cardiologist finds nothing tomorrow and definitely go for the get around it approach in the heat. 

Despite a later start than Cal I had a go at the 5m @LT pre work this morning.  I had been fretting about this one for most of yesterday evening and set off with pretty negative thoughts but was pleasantly suprised to have a decent pair of legs on my warm-up, maybe the old "fast" shoes helped.  Did a bit more than 2.5 miles with some strides.  I was then however stupid enough to shoot off at 10k PB pace and struggled with breathing and an uneasy stomach (sloshy tea) after a while.  I tried to reset at around halfway with a very short stop but called it enough after 4 miles.   Another 2 miles for a cool-down.  I didn't get the planned session done but the 4 were pretty decent so not too unhappy.  Again - slowing down would help.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fair play to you then cal, for getting up and out, ideally id run earlier too, but i have a doggy to walk first. She isnt a runner.

Hazel - the LT and mp runs can loom a bit, its important to try to remember that on any given random day it can be hard to hit ideal paces and its the effort that counts and there will be a training benefit if the effort is right, but its hard to do. Well done for getting stuck in.

As i did mp saturday, i wasnt sure a hard tempo or LT would be wise in this mornings commute, so i did 4 easy and then 6m at a slower tempo pace (aimed for ~7mm, achieved just a smidge over).
  • Options
    Tried to beat the heat this morning but not out until 6:30am for 11mile MLR. Over the weekend did 5mile recovery and 13mile with 8 at marathon pace, that was definitely testing in the heat and I probably didn't drink enough throughout. 

We've had a storm tonight so hoping it makes the next couple of days a bit cooler, fingers crossed. 

Hazel - marzipan sticks sound interesting, bet you can't get them over here, I suppose you could cut a block up.

TR - the bike and run commute combination is good, sadly my office is 35 miles away but unlikely I'll be going there much anymore, my 2/3 days a week is more likely to become 0/1 but we're not being encouraged back yet. 

Cal - I hope both the cardiologist and race go well tomorrow.