Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2022

Comments

• Options
    Best of luck with BM tomorrow TT.

Cal -sorry to hear the unwelcome news, hopefully the PR gave you a distraction even if it was so foggy you didn’t see much.  

TR - think Im in a similar boat, ready to push on but feel I should be easing back in.

Reasonable solo 5k TT this morning, if I can stay off the sauce hopefully a decent LR tomorrow.

• Options
    Good luck today, TT.

I had a pretty good run today despite less than optimal sleep (I think I need to say no to myself when I fancy a cuppa at 8:30pm...I had to get up three times to pee before midnight, so of course I didn't get any sleep until after that). 
    I ran down to Battersea, over Chelsea Bridge then down the full length of the King's Road. I did a lot of it a couple of weeks ago but took the wrong branch then, so this time I made sure I stayed on it to the end. It's really long...the whole thing took me half an hour. Then back over Putney Bridge, along the South Bank to Battersea Park, around that, up the Latchmere Road hill then home via Clapham, Wandsworth and Tooting commons. 18 miles banked.
    I felt like I had plenty of energy up until 14 miles, but began to flag after that. I did take a gel at 8 miles (which I didn't do last week) so I think that, plus a lighter week over all, was what made this a better run. But I was still absolutely knackered afterwards. I definitely need to rebuild that endurance.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    TT - I hope the race went well, I look forward to hearing how it goes. Agree with TR, 4*20m would be ace.
    Macca - Hope the LR went well.
    Nice LR banked Cal and a good route. I felt shattered after my LR too t and didn't go as far as you so well done.

First LR for Manchester marathon today, 16.5m in lovely weather @ 7.45 mm. 47m for the week, which is a real bonus as a few weeks ago with my rib injury thought I would be recording a 0 for January. 
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    OO that is fantastic news about your run, well done. 11 weeks to go!

Cal that is a good LR, full length of Kings Road, there must be plenty to look at?

TR how are you?

Thanks for the best wishes. I could not have asked for a more confidence building race. I went out with the 1 50 pacer, even though that is quicker that MP. The weather was perfect, six degrees which is the highest it's been in a long time, and 8 degrees higher than yesterday! Ran 1 49 07 which was over three mins quicker than I expected and, to add icing on the cake, a New York marathon GFA time. Learnt a lot!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope the sauce session and long run both went well

Well done cal, if you can get a midweek longish run in too it'd do your endurance good.

Turbo intervals here, didnt risk the 10k, Brighton training starts tomorrow.
  • Options
    TT, mostly shops. It was lovely when I did it two weeks ago and the Christmas lights were still up.
    Awesome job there...that is faster than I could run a half even when I was at my best.
    OuchOuch, glad to hear the ribs are doing better and you're able to run.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one TT, coming together well. Was that a controlled effort or as hard as possible? Gives you a good reference point.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    TR mentally tough, for a start when I am training I stop at roads to cross them when racing I just keep going! But CV wise well within limits. Leg wise, I need to put back that S&C and stretching. No where near as hard as possible. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    TT - stopping to cross roads, have a pee, dodge cars etc is fine in training, not sure i ever have a non stop training run......sounds good to me, could be more of an mp effort then,,even untapered mp would take some effort CV wise.......put those 4 planned 20s in and you should be in a good place by April.
  • Options
    So I mentioned I had an issue I was worried about. I had a mammogram a couple of weeks ago and got a letter last week calling me back for further testing due to something they'd seen on the scan, and that happened today. Thankfully the irregularity turned out to be a small cyst, which the doc duly drained, so now I don't have to worry about my tit trying to kill me as well as my heart. Thank fuck.
  • Options
    That must be a massive relief Cal. The reduced stress should help with your sleep too. Good running w/e too.
    Excellent result TT.
    Quality LR that OO.
    Hope the easier w/e has helped TR.
    Parkrun in 21:13 at home. Its a muddy, twisty, trail dodging tree roots & uneven cobbles. I did 21:16 on NYD so was hoping to improve given I've had a lighter week but 3s was all I could muster. Not such an enjoyable run either as I was overtaken twice in the final K whereas last time I moved up through the field. Daughter came again & beat her 12 year old self by a minute but a coupe of minutes slower than last week's hilly course.
    Sunday's LR was shorter to keep this week's miles down but I ran it quite a bit harder. 13.5 miles (& almost 1000') at 7:38 pace.
    4.5M along the canal in glorious sunshine at lunchtime. Should've been a recovery run but I was trying to keep a higher cadence so it came out as 7:30 pace. HR was not in the recovery zone but only just above MAF.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hello all...signing in.
    Have started training for Manchester marathon in April, not really following P&D this time but kind of made up my own plan kind of based on P&D but over a longer period with more recovery...it's not weekly but a 10/11 day schedule...so 2 long runs every 3 weeks...I do 2 hard days and then 2 easy days...just feels like I need a bit more rest these days! Anyway, have been running 60 to 70 mi/wk since start of December, have done 2x20milers and a few threshold runs and some intervals so far. Not sure about a goal for Manchester yet, not even 100% if I'll make it, will see how things go.
    Anyway. hope all is well with you lot (and good to hear nothing serious Cal).
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    15west welcome to the thread, and the group of us going to Manchester (injury and everything else permitting). You are doing really well with 2*20 miles already.

Cal I am so pleased for you, and delighted all could be sorted in one day. 

Jooligan running along a canal sounds wonderful. 

And we have ice again, actually it's just yesterday's with last night's added on top. Very long WU which included a spin class before seven miles on the TM at MP+30-90. 
  • Options

It sounds good running in these central London locations, Cal, but at quieter Sunday morning times. I am relieved and pleased that the cyst isn’t more sinister, Cal. Good news.

Monday recovery probably felt a bit easier after a lighter weekend, Jools? And the sun always helps.

Nice building for Manchester, OO. You are building nicely.

Fantastic racing, TT! Lovely bonus it gives you a NY GFA as well. Didn’t realise they had those with half times.

I’ve always thought a 10 day cycle would be good, Westy. And it certainly seems to be working well for you so far – there are some big training ticks for you already there.

Somehow got to a 70M week with an easy buggy half on the Sunday. 8:40 pace but didn’t feel that easy to be fair. Pretty achey after, which I guess isn’t too surprising.

5M recovery yesterday and then the final VO2 intervals on the plan this morning. Headed to the racecourse this morning as there are quarter miles marked out for Black Pear Joggers’ magic mile in the summer. I am sure I saw them there recently, but they have obviously been covered in leaves/worn off by recent weather.

Anyway, converted 2 x 1200, 2 x 1000, 2 x 800 into 2 x 4:30, 2 x 3:45 and 2 x 3:00 off about two thirds rest intervals. Worked hard, but again struggled to get to any real pace. Probably around 6:25 down to 6:15s. 10M at 7:35 average.

Hope to back this up with a longer run tomorrow morning.

Oh – and have bitten the bullet and entered Manchester! So that is quite a few of us? Have booked an AirBnB with a friend in Timperley (close to the 14M marker), with the plan to walk to the metrolink and then a 13 minute journey to the start. Booking anything closer was outrageously expensive!

• Options
    Cal - Phew, good news.
    Westy - Your way ahead of the pack, with that already in the bag.
    TT - Really good HM time, and a NY GFA too.  That race is on my bucket list for  2023.  
    Jooligan - Nice weekend, good news you shaved sometime off the PR. 
    SQ - Great to have a nonchalant 70m on the board and that looks a tasty session.   Good call on Manchester, I think that is a happy half dozen of us running it.

Double day, 5m with the pooch very slowly early doors and as I had ticked off my work to do list, went out around 3.30 for a 5m tt @ 6.20 mm on a slippy and grassy field next door to my house.  Really pleased with that.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good news cal, hope you get more good news soon.

Jools - that was a sharp mlr, better than +10%. Good fitness test.

Good to see you Westy, you are in a good place within that recent training, i expected you to say youd been slacking. So well done. The problem id have with a 10 day plan would be weekday 20s.

SQ - you are in a good place too, the speed will come back as the manchester plan gets to work.

TT - good spin and run combo.

OO - thats a sharp 5m.

Got on the Brighton plan yday with 13m commute home, groin was achey but no weakness/collapsing, so progress. 5m and 6m easy double today. Acid test will be some 3min intervals or +10% in tomorrow's 10m, havnt done any quicker running since dec 1st. Will play it by ear.
  • Options
    MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭
    Hello all. Haven’t posted for ages. House move in December, then a bit of a knee niggle, then a frenetic family Christmas, and I’ve been resting to see if I can get rid of the niggle since the new year. 

It’s slightly better atm (although not really perfect!) so I’m hoping I can start training for Manchester. Haven’t done much more than 15 miles a week since early Dec so the plan is to build slooowly and see how it goes. Hopefully still enough time. Living in hilly Kendal and it’s proving difficult to find a flat easy run! 

Good to see everyone running well especially since (reading back a few pages) you all appear to be old fogeys. I’m a sprightly but much slower 36 year old.

TT: well done on the HM!
    SQ: good to see you’re going for Manchester too. I had been intending to drive down on the day but may reconsider.
    Impressive doubles OO and TR. 
    Cal: glad it wasn’t more serious, good news.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Decent enough intervals SQ. I’m sure you’ll find an extra gear come race day.
    That’s a solid base you’ve built since last posting Westy.
    Welcome back MYOX. Afraid I’ve forgotten what you were targeting - blame my age 😉
    That’s an impressive comeback TT OO, even more so on grassy mud.
    Fingers crossed for you TR.
    Double track Tuesday again: 16x200m (40” ave) at lunch then club session this evening 800/1200/1600/1600/1200/800 off 2’ all in the 6:15-6:30 range. Easy day tomorrow.

• Options
    Welcome back, MYOX...another one for the Manchester train.
    Some very impressive speed work from you lads...wish I could say the same!

Had a rubbish run yesterday...it was misty and frosty early on so I waited for it to clear (and ended up having two breakfasts!!!) by which time it was lunchtime. I felt dreadful - not ill but legs were like lead and I felt uncoordinated and out of breath, so I canned it after two miles. No point flogging a dead horse.

I guess yesterday was a blip as I felt quite decent today. A balmy 5 degrees so I was able to go out early. Did 10 miles, starting in the dark, but once it got light (nice sunrise this morning) I decided to throw in three faster miles and pushed a little harder with each one. Enjoyed that, though it's a bit dismal to see how hard I have to push to achieve a 9 minute mile now. I don't think I'll be running another sub-4 at Manchester, somehow.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    MYOX welcome back, I relate to the Kendal hills. 

Cal well done on being back out again. Maybe Tuesday was a blip because of the stress of Monday?

Tempo run in the gym, not quite to plan but near enough, then S&C then a slow swim, any slower and the life guard would have jumped in!
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    SQ NY is the only major marathon which has a half as the qualification. It does say it only allows me to apply for a place! 
  • Options
    Cal - glad to hear of some good news, must have been a worry over the weekend.  You’ve had a lot to deal with recently, easier said than done but I’d try to roll with the good and bad sessions and take what comes out at the end.

MYOX - posting late on a school night for one so young 😉Hope the niggles clear up.

TT - well done at BM, sounds like a good result and good return for all those sessions banked.

Some nice turns of pace, Jools, OO and SQ.  I’m sure that 70 mile week would have been in those legs SQ, good news on Manchester.

Westy- sounds like a good base being built over Xmas.

TR - all the best on the Brighton bus.  No speedwork since Dec 1st might be a shock but I’m sure the engine is good to go just a bit of fine tuning and getting on top of the nigggles.

Notched up a reasonable 20m at the weekend and a 4m LT yesterday which was quicker than aspirational MP so hopefully things moving in the right direction. I’ve a debut 10 mile race this Sun, it’s a bit lumpy so I don’t think either me or the course are in the right shape to trouble 1hr but looking forward to it.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Debut: as in you've never raced 10M before Macca?
  • Options
    That’s right, just got to finish for a PB.  I’ve no idea where it sits between 10k pace or HMP but then I’m not sure what shape I’m in (other than bigger than I should be) so should be interesting.
  • Options
    Macca, first time I did a 10 mile I was still gunning for a sub-2 half so I raced it at that pace. I went on to do the sub-2 a month later.
    I tend to think of a 10 mile as a half but without the three awful miles on the end. I still haven't managed to run one well, though.
  • Options
    Good luck Macca.
    My official 10M PB of 64:42 (6:28.2 min/mile) was set in March 2018 7 weeks after my HM PB of 84:27 at Wokey (6:26.5 min/mile) which was 3 weeks after my 8M PB of 49:29 (6:11 min/mile)
    That analysis suggests I’ve never optimised a 10M race (or a 10K for that matter)
    SQ & I are both racing Staverton 10M on the 30th so must be the season for them.
  • Options
    I like that analysis Cal, a half without the last 3 awful miles.  Funnily enough the course is near identical to the local half marathon in the summer.  Despite losing 3m they have managed to keep the best lumpy bits !

Jools - I guess it comes down to what shape you are in on the day/whereabouts in the training cycle etc etc.  I’ll give it whatever beans I can muster.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hopefully you can get a decet block in myox

Good going in the double track jools

Sounds like its coming back for you macca,.....hope the 10m goes well, you'd be sub60 n a good course, so kuck it hard, you should get to 5m wondering if youve gone a bit too quick.

Well done on the 10 cal

10m inc 12x3min/30 sec, body groaned a bit but not too bad, average pace was a bit slow for the 42min, but it took me a few reps to get moving. Ticked off, onwards and upwards, nice to hsve pit in a bit of physical and mental investment for the big dance.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say.......have a listen to the Jimmy Ashworth interview on Inside Jogging, he used to put the miles in.......
  • Options
    Macca, it's the same with 10 I do most years...it's almost the same as the Hampton Court half (it's run by the same company). I actually have the half in four weeks. I feel by no means ready.
    TR, my body likes to groan all the time now. Well done for getting it done anyway.

Early 7 this morning. It wasn't frosty when I set out, just cold, but I stuck to well lit main roads with good lighting. It was only when I got to Streatham and turned off onto a side road that I found frost...not sure if it was the surface or if the frost had formed during that time (this isn't the first time this has happened). The side road, despite being a bus route, was also poorly lit and I had to slow a lot.
    I was going for 8 miles this morning too but my colon suddenly decided to surprise me with an encore so the last mile was taken with a sense of considerable urgency.  :#