Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2022

Comments

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Macca - No, I've you done as indestructible but you have had one helluva year, personally I blame the Cadburys.  The easier week will work wonders.
    SQ - Some good sessions and a good bounce back from your illness, quite a few guys I know are giving London a miss in 2022 due to the hassle this year.
    Cal - A good looking 16m, well ground out, solid.
    Jooligan - Great to see some good results come your way, congrats on the 10K PB.
    TT - Super 18m+ of exercise the other day. All banked.
    TR - Super consistency.

My 57 birthday came and went with 60k+ of exercise (16m run, 22m bike, 5m doggy walk), followed up with a good 10k solo run on Saturday 39.29, which will be a marker for regular 10K's for the Manchester marathon.  Still in work (well wfh) so currently restricted to evening runs in the dark which I don't favour but at least some wonderful Christmas lights (some totally bonkers) to look at. Closing in on 2500 miles for the year, 7-8m a day needed which I am just about hitting.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Macca thank you, relying on everyone's knowledge. I do like running to feel, means my Garmin does not beep at me. How's the back?

Cal we have tarmac, it is very ice sensitive! 

SQ that sounds like an interesting run. 

TR your eldest back?

So light this morning the full moon was in full view, and the birds were up before 0600. Ice, again but it was intervals so it was always going to be on the TM. 8*800m @ 5km pace, with a very long WU and WD. They are becoming easier, not easy, but easier. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - lots of dark running at the mo, at least i can run in the light at weekends.

TT - not surprised re your ice, it was real cold here early. My eldest is coming home for Christmas, on 24th for a couple of days. He is at the darts today, so doesny leave much incubation time.

10m in the lanes in the dark this morning, 5m easy, 5m ~10%. It must have been minus a good few degrees, i could feel the cold gripping me and my legs were really hurting.
  • Options
    Great work, OuchOuch, and happy birthday. 
    TT, don't blame you for staying indoors!
    TR, well done...sounds like you need some warm tracky bottoms though.  :D

Well, Battersea Park 5K did not go as expected.
    I often do a short, easy run the morning of an evening race, but as my groin's been niggling and it was cold, I stayed indoors and did some stretching. Groin was pretty sore all day which worried me so I chowed a couple of ibuprofen and slapped an ice pack on it, then had another stretch in front of the telly.
    Once I got to the park I did a one mile warm-up and it was OK. Could feel it, but it's a niggle rather than an injury and I can run with it.
    I've not run in Battersea Park in the dark so wasn't sure how well lit it was and it turns out, not very. There are lights, but they're not exactly bright.
    The 10K started first, then it was the 5K's turn. Even with the little niggle, I was hopeful that I could get closer to a sub-26 again as the park is as flat as they come and I've had plenty of 10K PBs there in the past.
    I felt like I was flying - fast and strong - and I was able to keep pushing right up until the end. So it came as a bit of a shock when I saw my time was a lot slower than I thought it was...27:06! I can only assume that I shortened my stride in the dark. Garmin seems to bear that out as my average cadence was 187 but average stride length was 0.99m, whereas at Brooklands parkrun (where I ran 26:21), cadence was 186 but stride length was 1.03. Those few centimetres make a hell of a lot of difference to a 5K time, it seems.
    My HR was also high - average 181 but it climbed up to 192 at the end (this is using the chest strap). I felt OK...not light headed or anything...but that's higher than my recent parkruns. Not sure if the cold would have been a factor, or the fact it was evening rather than morning. 
    Oh well, at least I got a nice medal.  :D
  • Options

Lots of data to analyse there, Cal. But perhaps don’t overthink it? parkrun is great but I wouldn’t bet my house on it always being the right length. 

So 10g of chocolate for each year, Macca 😉? Hope the back eases up. You’ve had (another) hell of a year. 

OO that’s interesting that others had a potentially similar experience at London. I did enjoy it, just could do without all the hassle involved. Perhaps there will be less next year 🤞. Happy birthday! That is a great day of fun training and a hell of a training 10k - at any age. 

Headlamp TR?

First early run for a long while yesterday. As I hadn’t run early for so long, I found myself unable to sleep - ridiculous to experience anxiety for this. 

Big hill in the first half the mildly progressive in the latter. Wire the headlamp for the first time in years. Always put it off as it’s fairly bulky. But what a difference it makes - seeing and being seen. 

Stunning sunrise to finish. Incredible pink sky. 15M, 1000ft and 7:50 average. Nice to get a few miles I’m one festivities. 

5M buggy recovery at 9:30 pace today. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - you can only compare a December cold evening race with another December cold evening race. Let the cadence thing go too, focus on getting fit.

SQ - top photo, it was reddish here too yday when the sun came up. Well done on the 15. I used to get that broken sleep before early morning BAC sessions.......yes, i have a good alpkit head torch, but often run along in the moonlight and just turn the lamp on when i see a car lighting the lanes up.

11m home tonight, the head torch just lit the rain drops up (when it was turned on).
  • Options
    Beautiful, SQ!
  • Options
    Anyway, did a rubbish 4 miles in the dark this morning. While it didn't feel hard, it definitely felt more effort than it should given I was running between 11:30 and 12 pace. I didn't sleep well last night, and it may be a combination of that and recovering from the race. And maybe a few too many edible treats.
    Off to Manchester this afternoon...hoping I don't catch Covid on the train.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed then Cal, and mask on.

10m commute today, 5 easy 5 ~10% as per Weds, my niggles are easing and im startimg to feel a bit fitter. 15 wks til Brighton, so 3 weeks of building and then 10 decent weeks for a 2 wk taper.

Thats me done until Boxing day.
  • Options
    I did Heaton parkrun yesterday. It's a lovely park but undulating and I got a stitch halfway round so I was lucky to scrape in just under 28 minutes. It was also very cold - I took my hoody off to warm-up but quickly put it back on again. But never mind, that's another Manchester parkrun ticked off (I've done four now).
    Today I did an early 5 miles to give my friend a chance to have a lie-in. Not as cold as yesterday fortunately.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one Cal, another ticked off.

Zero Christmas Day, 10m yday, turbo intervals today (10min wu, 20x2m30s/30s, 5min wd) today.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Happy Christmas!  That was some photo SQ. TR - Yes, the April marathons are coming into view now. 

Which is slightly bad news for me, as I had an argument with a ladder on Christmas Eve which has left a few suspected broken ribs on the right side, the 2 lower one's. So no running for the next 4 weeks but am (just about) OK to go biking, so 25m yesterday in the pouring rain visiting a number of local bays and beaches. It gives me a chance to clear up some niggles.  
  • Options
    Oh damn, OuchOuch (ouch indeed!), but good you're going for the silver lining there. Not much you can do about ribs but let them heal, so I hope the discomfort isn't too bad.

10 mile race at the Velopark today...which meant ten laps. I hate laps and have no idea why I signed up for this...I did it once before and it was awful then too. It's very undulating and I really struggled with the downhills today. I thought I might get more confident with each lap, but nope. It was also windy and there was a strong headwind down one of the straights...ugh. Anyway, I decided to tough it out and got myself around. Time was an underwhelming 1:35:32 but with the wind, the hills and a bit of post-Christmas ballast, I wasn't on for a fast one anyway. Happy just to get it done. 
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    OO that is not good news. Like Cal said nothing to do except wait. 

SQ that is a fabulous picture.

TR are you able to run to work??? I worked from home for 12 years, my commute was a flight of stairs! 

After five food filled days (with snow, ice, rain and wind) in Cumbria we returned to Yorkshire, and a run! Four miles at average MP with WU and WD to add. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Blimey Cal, im impressed you did that race again then, well done.

TT - good fuelling up. Yes i run and bike commute. No commuting thus week gives me the chance for the odd flat run too, as i can stay on the coastal side of the hill if i wish to.

18 wet and windy miles today.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    TR I do find Christmas pudding a good fuel for running!

Out in the cold, wet and wind. Cut the run short it was so horrible. It's now worse, but the good news is a good forecast for Saturday's long run. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - oh, i dont eat Christmas pudding, maybe i should ?

Wet and windy 12m today.
  • Options
    SQ - stunning picture, almost worth getting out of bed for.

Cal - you’ve been busy whilst I’ve been stuffing my face, Battersea 5k, a parkrun and a 10 mile race. I think this time of year just toeing the line is a good effort.

TT - you do seem to get your fair share of weather, I might try Xmas pud on my next ultra - if it lasts until then.

OO - sorry to read of the injury, it can be painful, especially laughing.  Kudos for getting on the bike and hopefully you heal quickly.

TR - logging some consistent miles these last few days, you should hit the new year in good nick.

I took a complete week off and have eased back with a 2m, 4m and then 8m.  I’m Hyper sensitive to any little sensations but after a consultation with Dr Google, I’ve resolved to enter my glutes into Worlds strongest man, training starts now.  It’s been sobering going from casual 20m runs to not been able to reach shoe laces but as said cant complain.

• Options
    Gearing up nicely for 50K on NYE then Macca 😉
    Joking aside I’m sure the week off will do you a power of good & you’ll come back strong for ‘22.
    OO bad luck on the ribs. I cracked mine years ago & managed some 3 or 4 mile runs within a week but they were painful. I’m sure you’ll be flying again soon.
    Cal maybe go back to basics. Stop racing for 6 weeks, reduce your long runs to 90 minutes, do an interval session each week of say 10-20 x 30”-1’ (building volume each week) to get your speed & cadence back. Use parkrun as a tempo session each week & see where you are.
    TT very different weather down here: we’ve had a wet n windy 13 degrees today!
    TR admirable consistency as ever.
    Been ticking over with daily runs of 5-10 miles. Did a hilly (100’/mile) 17 a week ago at 8:47 average & a tempo Freedom Parkrun on Xmas Day at Medina IoW. First time I’ve missed a parkrun in 31 months other than CoViD cancellations. Frustratingly I’m also going to miss out on NYD since I’m in Wales then.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Macca - hope you're on the nend now. Your body will be confused by a week out of the trainers........ive just cone back in from the squat rack (in the garage), next time we meet we'll see who has the biggest (Eddie Hall stylie) bumcakes.......my body is settling a bit, i still have a bit of bumcake pf/sciatica but its improving. As well as the rolling, spiky ball, exercises and s and c, ive also been taking magnesium for a few weeks as its supposed to help.

Jools - good to see you've been at it, and localish to me too. Top advice to cal.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    With respect to my Christmas pudding, it is homemade brandy infused cherry and chocolate pudding! Very good for fuelling 🥳

Jooligan that is really good advice.

TR I was told to add a banana to my porridge for the magnesium. I am in awe of your dedication. 

Macca sounds like a plan! Any exercises in particular? 

It's actually quite warm up here! Windy, which was fabulous going east, but very balmy. Lovely running weather and long may it last. 10 miles at MP+30-90seconds, wonderful way to round off the year's running. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - it does sound yummy. Its mild here too but its wet and windy with it.

12 more (not quite as) wet and windy miles. 3299m for the year with just tomorrow to go, i need 11m for 300 for December.
  • Options
    Must admit I don't squat - I have the worst possible mechanics for it due to long back, long femurs, short shins and stiff ankles. Any attempt at a deeper than quarter squat turns into a good morning. And yes, I tried to fix my squat for 30 years and no, it never improved. I was mainly interested in lifting before I started running more seriously and I could deadlift 115kg and bench 70kg (1 rep) so it was always annoying to me that I just couldn't squat properly. Not that I can do the other things now either, due to fucking up my rotator cuff and then concentrating on running. Currently trying to work my way back to a 50kg bench but I'm doing 8 reps on 40 at the moment...which used to be my warm-up weight. Argh.

Anyway, running... Very mild here so ran in a T-shirt. Only problem was I got some underarm chaffing from the race on Tuesday (I was wearing a vest and arm warmers for that) which came back to haunt me today. Ow.
    Ran this in daylight so pace was better - 10:30ish rather than over 11s. Bit more like it.
  • Options
    TR - 😂 at Eddie hall, I had mixed up Stuart Hall and Eddie Waring in my head and wondered what it had to do with Its a Knockout.  Interesting on the magnesium, I had read chocolate craving can be a sign of Mag deficiency and I’ve definitely got that.

TT - I had bad backs about 10 years ago and got prescribed Pilates, I swear by it but have probably fallen into poor and rushed technique.  For me, bridges, donkey kicks, clams, supine spinal twists and clenching the glutes lying face down are my go toos.

Jools - agreed on the rest, just a shame it coincided with consuming my own body weight in rubbish food.  Shame about the Parkrun situation, hope you can get back to them soonest.

Cal - I’m trying to imagine a deadlift with 1 and 1/2 of me on the bar - my back would snap !  My pace drops in the dark too, not sure if it’s tiredness at the end of the day or lack of confidence in foot placement with rubbish eyesight.

Notched up another 11m then a 6m taking
    me to 3879 for the year with maybe a 10 or 11 to come before midnight.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - still probably worth doing some bodyweight only squats, they are a good functional exercise and good for RoM.

Macca - 'its and up and under.....', good to see you getting going again. Even if the Magnesium only helps by 1% it only cost me a fiver for a few mobths worth. They are supposed to be good for coffin dodging older runners and good for nerve issues.

18m this morning (another wet and windy affair), put in a good block of Brighton base with 18, 12, 12, 18 in the last 4 days. 3317m for the year.
  • Options
    A lacklustre three miles at lunch today, fuelled by rain and procrastination. Well, least I got out there. 1283 for the year which is much lower than previous years but then I've had a lot of time on the bench. Tomorrow's parkrun should be more fun. Happy 2022, everyone.

TR, nice 18 there.

Macca, I think mine is partly the eyesight thing and partly that I'm stiffest first thing in the morning so stride length will be impacted by that too. However, I didn't have that excuse at the Battersea 5K as that was evening, so it was just the vision. The Garmin Connect map was very telling...no accident that the fastest (red) parts were the best lit. The red part at the bottom left was when I was running past football pitches that were floodlit. Pace immediately drops as the path then goes past the lake, where lighting is rather poor.
  • Options
    I didn't indulge last night and got to bed at 10:30 so no alcohol related excuses...but still managed my worst parkrun ever today! (Well, not including the one where I tail walked, and the one I power walked while injured). I chose Homewood, which is not far from Brooklands where I went a couple of weeks ago. My parkrun mate Tunde drove. I knew this wasn't a fast one as it is undulating and in the woods, so can be muddy. And there was mud in places, but what I wasn't prepared for was the sheer number of tree roots. The whole run was a gigantic trip hazard and, given I run like a hovercraft, I had to be very, very careful. 
    Slowing down did mean I could chat to the runners around me a bit, which was nice, and the woods were lovely (or would have been had I not had my eyes downcast for most of it in order to avoid faceplants and rolled ankles).
    End result was 34:48 - my previous worsts were all in the 32s so this was definitely a challenge. I think I need to find a nice fast tarmac one as an antedote!
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal well done for finding a ParkRun. I can understand you not running as fast with tree roots underfoot. 

TR that is some impressive mileage. How many marathons have you done and what is your average weekly mileage?

Macca I do Body Balance with Les Mills as I can do a session in the house. The exercises you do are.cery similar to the ones I tried to do. 

Tried fueling with porridge this morning, very effective but not as tasty as Christmas pudding. Very mild, 12 degrees, but a 12-15mph headwind with gusts of 25mph. Fabulous mental training in terms of keeping going, very pleased with the 19 miles (I turned round at 16 miles and the OH picked me up).
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - sounds like a cross country race.

TT - thats a strong run esp on NYD, 16m of headwind sounds tough.........ive only done 15ish marathons, i only used to do vlm and then focus on 1/2 IM for the rest of the year, so i did vlm 2008 to 2015 (all 2.51 to 2.55), stopped for a while due to injury and didnt run another mara until Abingdon 2018, ive done about 7 more since.......nowadays i hover around 70mpw, 80 ish if i run everyday. Im 55 in the spring so im trying to jam in some more sub3s whilst i can.