Options

P & D Spring marathon 2023

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice report, SQ! I expect the Altrincham hill was no problem after all the DD training. Some people moaned about it. On the old course, we used to run through Alty in the opposite direction which was a bit easier.
    Monton's a way out...did you do the Worsley Woods parkrun while you were there?

Bad luck on the water situation. I remember doing the very first The Big Half, which followed on the tail end of Beast from the East. Freezing cold with the last of the slush at the side of the roads. All I wanted was a nice hot bath after, but got home to find the water cut off. Due to the cold, loads of water mains had fractured and large parts of London were without water. Instead I had to go and queue for water bottles which Thames Water were handing out in Sainsbury's car park. Water didn't come back on for three days!

5 miles today. I am off to Belgium/Holland for the next week so I won't be running, except for parkrun. Heading to Zuiderpark to get my Z. :)

• Options
    Thanks for the report SQ.  It reads of a really well run race.  That finish does look rammed, a human representation of the 3hr bell curve I guess.  A useful sharpener for the DD.

Enjoy Belgium and Holland Cal.

Good luck everyone running tomorrow.  Not sure how to approach it myself.   I've done ok with a 2 week gap before but 5 days feels a bit short.  Currently contemplating a painful last 6m.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good luck London runners!

Just a quick one but I did Zuiderpark - lovely fast, flat two lap course and lots and lots of UK tourists there. I felt like I was going quite fast but ran 28:28 so I guess it's the post-marathon legs. Still enjoyed it.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Reg - great stuff.

Macca - I think i love you.
  • Options
    TR - 😂 briefly 2:52:58 in London today, following a 2:52:14 in Boston.  Really pleased to have enjoyed both and come through unscathed and further pleased to post a pair of low 2:50s.  I might cheat and pen a few words on both together.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Much more consistent than me Macca. Bravo on 2x 2:52 in 6 days!
    3:54:04 with a 1:51:35 first half (including a pit stop in Mile 8) & a 2:02:29 second half which is pretty much the same excess as Manchester last week. The slow down started at 25K today though - in spite of going out nice & easy. My legs certainly hadn’t recovered - no surprise as my mileage has been woeful for 6 months now
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Jools - Superb double even if not the times you might have wanted.
    Macca - Superb consistency there!!
    SQ - Great sub 3 run!
    OO - Brilliant running. I did catch the highlights and saw the group with the second lady!
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Newport Marathon
    For me the goal was to run a good race, last year I got to 21 miles then the wheels came off and did a run walk, so the plan was to get to halfway in 1:32 then see what was left, if I was in sub 3 shape, I could kick down, if not I should be able to hang on!

After a couple of short warm ups, I was straight in the starting pen and positioned in between the 3 hour and 3:30 pacers. Weather was perfect I think for running fast. Set off and was quite congested to start with lots of runners around, so settled into a nice pace, was all a bit slower than planned, but only by a few seconds. After about 10k I ended up running with another runner who was also aiming for sub 3:05, and we shared the rest of the race to about 20 miles together while ticking off 7 min miles, as the field had spread out, but could always see more runners ahead of us.
    Splits via watch, but 10k splits were 43:50/43:27 for the first 20k, then got to half way in 1:32:34, so pretty much bang on target and feeling good, I had already decided the pickup point would be around 20 miles, so tried to keep around the 7:00 pace we were running. Next 10k split in 43:31, still feeling good. Around mile 17, my splits started reading sub 7, without trying, so stuck to running that pace, from about 30k, we were starting to pass the runners ahead of us, and were picking off a few at a time. Lost my running buddy from 10k around 20 odd miles, I kept that pace until 23 miles and got through the next 10k in 43:49. While passing numerous other runners, after 23 miles, while it felt like I had gotten faster, I had slowed down and was now running 7:14/7:19/7:04 for the next 3 miles, still passing others who were not in as good place as I was. Passed the 26 mile marker and spotted a group of 4 runners ahead, so managed a sprint finish to pick them off, with the final 2.2k in 9:41 for a second half split of 1:31:40 and finished with a massive smile on my face on a well executed race.

3:04:14 with a 54 second negative split and a 5 minute 40 second PB. Finished around 144/1739 and 29/194 in age category.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Macca - Incredible, to match your Boston run, 5 days later.  Now thats set me thinking for a future racing challenge. 
    Steve - Finishing with a massive smile says that was a very nicely paced run.  Must have been ace overtaking so many runners in the closing few miles. Quite a chunk off that PB and on an upward trajectory. 
    Jools - Still, a damn good week of marathon running. Well done.  
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report Steve. Your training was suggesting a big PB was on the cards & your splits suggest you executed the perfect race, as does the sprint finish & finishing smile.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice work doubling up Macca/Jools you guys are crazy.

I am still trying to make sense of my day, in short 2:38:18, disappointed at the moment. I had some issues with my glute and hamstring, plus just didn't feel great.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Thanks all - a very enjoyable race.
    Reg - Sorry your day didn't go to plan, but sub 2:40 is still a superb time. Hopefully nothing too serious/long term with the glute/hammy.

Anyway after a week with no running, I did an easy 3 miles this morning (10 min mile average) just to get the legs moving again, left quad seemed a bit tender, but otherwise OK.
  • Options

Great report SQ. That’s poor about the mile markers, a big race like that should be accurate. Another great sub-3 result, congrats.

Congrats on getting your Z parkrun Cal.

Epic as ever Macca. Two 2:52s within a week is just incredible.

Well done on the double Jools

Congrats on the PB Steve, great work. 

Sorry you didn’t have the race you wanted Reg. At least you have another champs qualifier under your belt?

Tough day for me at London, finishing in 3:26. I got a mild stitch pretty much from the start. It wasn’t hampering my running at that stage, and I otherwise felt good with the legs ticking over nicely and breathing feeling very relaxed. Tried to just ignore it and enjoy myself. Crowds were incredible given the weather, and crossing Tower Bridge was an incredible experience as ever. I was also pleased to see the elite men come by the other way on the A1203 again.

At mile 19 the stitch came back and this time it was making it hard to maintain pace. If I was going for a PB I might have tried to battle on, but I quickly decided to try walking for a bit to see if it cleared. It seemed to help and mile 20 was almost back to goal pace, but the stitch kept coming back so at this point I resigned myself to run/walking the rest. It was frustrating, as the legs felt relatively ok and I could run at my goal pace when the stitch wasn’t spoiling things. I suspect it was caused by being soaked through by the rain, and then the cool wind chilling me. I’ve had similar issues in those kind of conditions before unfortunately.

Despite this I still (mostly) enjoyed myself, and tried to just soak up the atmosphere as this is the last time I’m likely to run London, at least for a while. It really is an incredible race and experience. I had a few minor wobbles where I felt fed up with how I was performing, but I tried to remind myself how lucky I was to have a place in this race, and be fit enough to get around regardless of how quick. As an extra bonus, I appeared on the BBC One coverage coming up The Mall for all of 1 second and 17 frames! https://youtu.be/ub1yMyEb8n8

I have a place at Berlin in September but think I’m going to skip that and concentrate on shorter distances for the rest of the year. I definitely have my motivation back, and I’m keen to hopefully keep regaining the fitness I once had…

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - my comment still stands.

Steve - great run, you put the work in and reaped the rewards. Keep going towards sub3.

Spoons - good to see you back running marathons.

Reg - still a strong run and very close to the 6mm barrier. Do another cycle on top of this and you could go quicker in October. Hammy and glute issues are one of my limiters too.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Cal – yes Monton is a way out. Much preferred the location last year in Timperley. No parkrun unfortunately. Only arrive late Saturday afternoon. Would love to do a spot more parkrun tourism! Great stuff getting your Z!

Macca – your Boston > London consistency is truly incredible! Honestly, I am in awe. Well done and I hope you enjoyed yourself 😊.

Thanks for the report, Steve. Enjoyed that. Very well run. Now when is the full on sub-3 attempt?! You’ve teed yourself up for one. Newport looks surprisingly good on a couple of videos. Nice quiet country lanes but still a ‘big’ feeling finish arch etc. Might have a look next year as suspect I will fall short on GFA again.

Great to hear a report form you, Spoons. Hard luck on the stitch but very well done on being present enough to enjoy and appreciate the day. Look forward to some grass track sessions with you once you’ve recovered.

Plenty of recovery running here. Nothing faster than 8m/m yet. Mostly short 4-5M, although have enjoyed a couple of 10M on the canal. Finished yesterday with 6 x short hill strides. So good to reawaken things a little. 5.5 weeks to Dartmoor Discovery. Time to get back to some bigger hills soon!

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Spoons - Good report, sounds like you enjoyed your day.
    SQ - I'd recommend Newport, it's a fast course with good sections of support. Obviously some parts are quiet, but as it's a decent field, you'd have a group to run with.
    TR/SQ - Sub 3 still feels like it's a big jump, I'd probably need another marathon cycle or 2 to get there if at all. Not sure on next year yet, as was going to focus on an ultra, but that might change with another crack at a marathon!

No running today, will do 4 miles tomorrow.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Well done Steve, nice report.

Nice one Spoons, glad a hard day didn't dampen your enthusiasm. 

I just wrote a report over on the SG thread.

TR - That's exactly what I have planned, hopefully another 3 attempts going autumn, spring & autumn 24. Give it a proper go and then retire back to sensible things. Time will tell but I feel I can still make big improvements.

SQ - Good to hear you're cracking straight back on with the recovery running. I did my first recovery run this morning, I felt ok actually. I have a sore hamstring, so a small tear there but otherwise just slightly sore quads still.

I'll be trying to carefully get back to about 60 miles a week but with a lot more cycling/swimming and strength work over the early summer before following a 12 week plan to something like Abingdon.

• Options
    Steve - that report reads of a really well run race.  FWIW, on the right day, right course I don't think there's much between a controlled 3:04 and a 2:59.  I would ask yourself, do you want a 3:02 or 3:03, personally I would go for it next time out.

Spoons, it feels like you been out for so long I think we can say that's a good debut.  I'm sure results will significantly improve with another block or two, main things are you enjoyed it and the motivation is back.

Reg - thanks for the report.  I couldn't remember your target so my initial reaction was that was a bloody good time.  Now I understand the slight disappointment.  I would use that to drive forwards, I like the way you were planning your champs qualifying time for next year mid race despite he distractions of Londons version of "Swedish Marathon Man".

SQ - I used your dedicating a mile to loved ones for the last 6m.  It must have partially worked as I missed two mile markers on manual lapping.  Is it wrong that I dedicated the last mile to myself ? (Insert Woody Allen joke) 😂.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - DD is long and hilly ? You had best get to it.

Steve - I'm with Macca, go for sub3 in the autumn, if you just miss then you'll get your 3.03. Test yoir limits a bit, I have a feeling that you have some minutes to gain once you believe you can run sub3.

Reg - it's not supposed to be easy ! Esp after not having run a mara for a while, it would have been rude to go M45 top 10 with a sub 235. I like your plan, I have an Abo place. I like that race.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Reg - Nice report, great progression on your marathons though.
    TR / Macca - Thanks, gives me something to think about, I did look at Abingdon previously but if I can't fit one into autumn, I think I'll do another cycle in spring 24.

Anyway, another easy 3 miles today.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Steve - I like Abo, it's a good race.

Put some decent double digits in recently, and am moving a bit better, had some more physio today, which will hopefully help. Going to run the old faithful Worthing 1/2 on sunday, hoping to get round with nothing going ping, and ca crack on a bit then.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done on all your races, folks...

I got back Thursday tea time and did a sluggish four miles yesterday, then Fulham parkrun today (club social) Lovely weather but I was tired when I woke up and didn't have a lot of energy for the run either so I didn't have much change from half an hour. 

TR - DD is 32 miles with monstrous hills (it's a favourite in the Shades thread where I also post...they keep encouraging me to enter but I'm not quite there yet!

Like a lot of you, I'm wondering what the hell to do for the Autumn. There doesn't seem to be a lot of choice, race-wise (having to stump up £5K for new windows and £600 for a washer/dryer for the rental flat means foreign races and even Loch Ness are going to be too expensive). Basically Yorkshire or Chester again (Abingdon doesn't really appeal as I spent 3 years in that part of Oxfordshire from late 89 to late 92, which ended up being the three most depressing years of my life. That and it doesn't have a train station). If anyone knows of any others, let me know. And not multi-lappers.
    I'm almost considering doing as spoons is and doing shorter races to get my speed back (or at least partly back) but after the disappointment of Manchester, I can't help wanting to have another go.
  • Options
    All the best for Worthing tomorrow TR.  Hopefully you can get a decent “race/training effort” out of it. Not checked the weather but fingers crossed for that too.  

Cal - as you say, York and Chester are the obvious candidates, can’t think of any others. 

Keeping it relatively easy here, I’ve thrown in a couple of sauna sessions which feel like a hard run effort but the funny conversations you hear from the old boys make it worthwhile. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I ran 12 miles today. I was going for 10 but the route I took (Wandle Trail and then home via Mitcham) got me to 10 miles a way from home so I carried on. Lovely blue skies, blossom and birdsong. The downside is that (as I thought I'd just do 10) I went out fasted and without water, so I started to run out of gas and dehydrated a bit during the last two miles. Of course it is getting warmer now so I will have to start carrying water again on my medium as well as long runs.
    I also thought I'd give the Invincibles another go over the distance but they started rubbing my big toe 8 miles in and, despite looking very plush, my forefeet got a little tender towards the end. So they are definitely not going to do for long distance...shorter, recovery and easy runs only.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - SQ had best get on the long hilly training runs then! youre sounding stronger lately.

Macca - when's the Badass race in the US, July?

First race of the year, finally, 3m, 1/2 mara, 2m. Creaked a bit early on but got going a bit better, looked set for 126ish, but decided it's better than being benched. Wind was troublesome at times but better than normal. Had a gel at 5m and pushed on a bit from about 1/2 way. Finished strong with 1.25.14, thought I was going to go sub 1.25 but after being pretty accurate at 13m i ended up with 13.22. Good to speak to Dave Bedford after. HR was 5ish beats av and max than my 1.22 last summer, and exactly the same as my 2.57 in December, so i guess thats good. Pretty tight hammy in the last couple of miles, but nothing pinged, and I probably run within myself for a lot of it, but that was the aim.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TR, I've actually not felt good since the run although I'm starting to feel a bit better. Not sure if dehydration is to blame - I've drunk plenty since getting back but HR was about 10 bpm higher than normal for a few hours after. Back to normal now.

Sounds like you had a decent run there. 
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    TR - Sounds like a good run.
    Cal - Nice 12 miler.

Did an easy 4 miles on Saturday, and another easy 4 miles today.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Easy 5 for me (actually 4 plus a last mile incorporating strides - need to get that stride and cadence back up).
    While I was a bit dehydrated on Sunday, the "funny head" thing was back yesterday even though I just walked and did some light stuff at the gym (first time there for a few weeks so didn't go mad). I am 99% sure, now, that it is an ear-related vertigo thing as it is definitely linked to head movement. So a nuisance but nothing to stress about.
  • Options
    TR - I think you forgot to mention 1st in cat ! Brilliant stuff especially when it sounds you weren't in full on race mode.  Any beer tokens or pots ?  As with a few of us, you've just got to get on top of the creaks and niggles to post some more cracking times. It can be frustrating at times as I know.

Cal - well done on the 12, hopefully the vertigo thing will sort itself out.

Steve - sounds like text book recovery.

TR - Badwater is 4th July, 8 weeks away I think.  I've a 2 week block of sauna sessions, then tick over weeks then another block, with the Thames Path 100 squeezed in this weekend for a bit of time on feet.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Cal - could be sinus related too?

Macca - excellent plan, esp the saunas too. Get some layers on when you run too...........don't think there were AG prizes, m50 prize possible but i got my arse kicked in that cat, by someone running 75min..........so, I had 4 bpm average in reserve compared to my July 22 1.22 and 9bpm to my July 21 1.22 (but it was hot that day), so i could have had a couple of minutes in the buffer, got to get used to pushing hard again I suppose.....agreed, I need to keep up the good stuff I've been doing recently.

10m home tonight, don't appear to have broken anything.