Options

P & D Spring marathon 2023

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Macca, you could try some hot yoga classes too. I did hot yoga for a few years (until I could  no longer afford it) and it definitely helps with heat tolerance.

TR, I read that as getting your arse kicked by a cat. :lol:
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Eight miles today - sunny and fresh. Groin a tad grumpy, oh well.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Had a day's leave today to maximise the bank holiday, so i got my long run done. 20m, 10 easy, 10 steady. Bit of a shock as its been a few weeks since a 20m.

Hope the 100m goes well Macca, should have dried up a bit underfoot in the last week or so.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Good luck on the TP100 Macca - Just had a look on Wikipedia at that Badwater race page, it looks absolutely phenomenal, what a great running year you've had, its been like a game of fantasy runner!   An amazing challenge. 

TR - A really good 1/2 m run and time. Nice one.
    Cal - Hope the vertigo sorts itself out.
    Steve - Recovering well.

Currently tapering again as I have the Exeter marathon on the 14th, relatively flat and fast and local. Sub 3 is the aim, hopefully around 2.53 ish. 
  • Options
    Cal - I tried boxercise once and there was a slightly embarrassing puddle of water where I was standing. I imagine hot yoga would be similar.

TR - it's a great feeling to get the weekend long run in before the weekend.  

OO - I know the hard work that goes into me sub 3ing but you make it look like shelling peas.

It doesn't look like there'll be much heat on the TP tomorrow, forecast rain but looking forward to it thanks.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Best of luck Macca. Rain will be ideal for running but not as Badwater prep. Seem to remember it being Scorchio for you on TP100 a year or two back.
    Took 5 days off after London then parkrun (22:28 on the grass of Marlborough Common), another couple of days off then a daily diet of 5K around the track at lunchtime. Tried a longer run Wednesday night but my Gracilis tightened right up after about 9K - the last 3.5K was increasingly painful. It’s pulling on the inside of the knee - couldn’t even lift the leg properly to mount a kerb 😭
    Managed a few miles on the bike this week too. Need to do something: I tipped the scales at 80kg Saturday morning 😱 I was 78 at the Expo the week before 😳 Ideally I’d be 72 but not been that for a few years - unless I’m dehydrated 😂
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - hope that leg improves soon. Is that from the marathon double?
    Macca - hope itsnot as wet where you are as it has been here.

6m in pissing rain, splashing through standing water. Good job id done the 20m yday, as i wouldn't have done it today.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    OO, thanks, it seems a bit better today. Good luck with Exeter.
    Macca - no doubt. I'm not that sweaty compared to some people but that made me sweat out of places I didn't think could sweat, like the backs of my hands. It's unreal.
    Jools, I think it's my Gracilis that's the troublemaker, too. Right now my groin is a lot more testy walking than running. I'm also looking to drop some weight - I've been carrying my Christmas podge for 5 months now.
    Well done on your 20 and your 6, TR...so basically that's a marathon over two days.

Did a slow 4 on Thursday (recovery) plus legs in the gym, then yesterday was walking and upper body.
    Today I opted for another tourist parkrun. I chose Maidenhead as it was within a mile of the station and the train ticket wasn't too expensive.
    The parkrun itself is two laps on mostly hard path (packed gravel, largely), but while the north-heading stretch was pretty smooth, the south-heading stretch is very lumpy with the odd bit of slippery dirt (probably fine yesterday but it was raining this morning). There was also one short, sharp hill (around 14%) that had to be done twice.
    As I'm still recovering not only from the marathon but also the leg workout on Thursday, I didn't go all out, but ran at a tempo-ish pace. I finished in 29:26 which I was happy about as it hit one of my four remaining bingo numbers (I admit I did regulate my pace slightly when I saw I might hit the 26, but there are no guarantees the timer will match your Garmin...I just got lucky this time). So just three left. No idea how long it will take me to hit the remaining numbers.
    A new parkrun started in Woolwich today, so I've gone from Lon-Done to L-Undone...again...but I daresay I'll get to the new one in a few weeks. It has a nice curly wurly section up a mound that looks fun. The location also makes it ideal for a recce of the first part of the London Ultra course which starts very close by.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    It was from Manchester TR, London just made it worse.
    Well done Cal. How many’s that now? 95% of Bingo then.
    New one started in Brizzle today too so I’m back to needing 2 for my Record Breaker.
    Stayed local today - course was slippery squelchy bog. Glasses fogged up so I slowed further on the final mile. 22:45 for 6th - just beat a guy in joggers & crocs 😆 Part of a dozen strong stag party - the groom managed to come first in sub-19 which is a very decent time for that course especially in the conditions. He does have a recent 17:45 from Oxford Uni Parks recently so obviously a decent runner.
    Daughter ran again too. That’s 4 in the last 5 weeks after over a year off. 😀 She’s improving each week too though still a minute slower than back then. Fortunately the new boyfriend is also keen & still slightly slower so they even did a training run round the course last week.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    138 venues, 214 total, Jools. And I saw that one - looks nice.
    Guy ran in Crocs, seriously? In mud? I used to wear some around amusement parks as they're handy if you're doing wet rides, but they have zero purchase in wet conditions so not sure how he managed that.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the well wishes.

Thames Path finished in 20:55:40.
    The temperature was just right, cool, but the rain made it hard going. I think there were a lot of dnf’s and my feet aren’t happy at the moment.  I had a wobble where I was struggling to even walk through some patches of mud, not helped by getting smacked by low overhanging branches so I was quite pleased to rally and squeeze a sun 21hr finish (useful for qualifying for Sparta).
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - you are a tough nut, I kept checking the tracker through the day, evening and late at night, and you were still going strong. I went to bed and you were still going strong. Then i checked your Strava this morning. Mind boggling, I've not managed 100m in a week and you've done it again in much less than 24hrs.......you are a inspiration.....not sure if qualifying for Sparta is good news or bad, but i guess its good. Hope yr feet heal quick.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Amazing, Macca. True determination.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Legend Macca 💪👏👏
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Macca - Very impressive and love the attitude, that the run will be handy for Spartathlon qualification.  
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Felt pretty crappy yesterday - one of those days when I woke up tired. Did a ploddy 6 miles then lay on my bed streaming iPlayer before finally forcing myself out for a late afternoon walk.
    Today was better. I felt a bit more chipper so decided to hit the Wandle Trail and then carried on across Mitcham Common (plenty of bluebells there). Right hip/glute/ham a little stiff and grumbly but nothing new there.
    No herons today (I saw 4 last time I ran the Wandle) but did see some ducklings and goslings. Best bit was seeing a fox walk out in front of me as I headed back to Tooting Common, then she walked back into a garden. I turned to look and she had two wee cubs with her. 🦊❤
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fox cubs is a nice spot Cal

10m yday inc 20 x  (90sec/30sec), and an easy 5m today.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice. Should have said, mine was 14 miles.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I did best part of 20 miles yesterday across the Brecons supporting 2 mates attempting the South Wales Traverse. Most of it was hiking tbh but my legs are still toast today - unbelievable to think I did the 75M at a faster pace just 2 years ago & still managed a recovery run the following day! Done bugger all but eat today  :D
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Well done Macca, epic stuff. I can't wait to have a go at these myself. Just need to try and get the PBs down a bit first before going further.

I did 18 miles the week after London and 50 this week just gone, all pretty easy. Quickest being pacing parkrun, I fluked exactly 20:00 so I was happy with that. I will do a few more Parkruns over the next few weeks before having a go at setting a 5k PB, it's very soft at the moment. I hope.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Reg - Sounds like you are recovering well. That reminds me I also need to have a crack at parkrun too!
    Macca - As others have said, epic stuff, so is that 3 marathons and a hundred miler already done this year?? Mind blowing running/recovery!
    TR - Sounds like you are going well.
    Cal - Nice parkrun and 14 miler.
    OO - Good luck for Exeter.

Nothing to report really, did 6 miles on Saturday (for a 15 mile week) and then another 5 this morning, all at 9 min mile pace.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    First race in the Wimbledon Trail Series this evening. I've run this a few times and it's tough but usually quite fun, but today...dear God. I was expecting that it might be squelchy in places but what we got was the Somme. It was suck-your-shoe off awful, with ankle deep mud puddles and a lot of places I had to walk. My trail shoes are light trail, so fine for dry trails, but no good in mud. Still, it was muddy enough I think even something like a Mudclaw wouldn't have cut it. Came close to an anxiety attack on the Rifle Butts (steep hill which is tough enough normally but today was basically a mud slide) - had to pull myself up using trees and plants. Only the last mile was really runnable. I finished fourth from last in 1:06:36 (Garmin time) and my groin and ham tendon now hate me.
    I am at a loss as to how some people find mud enjoyable. Never again.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Cal - Sounds horrendous! Not for me either!

Easy 6 miles today. Still ticking along, Parkrun on Saturday, not sure if I'll tempo it or try to push the pace yet.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Give it a blast Steve. You’ve still got plenty of marathon fitness but no fatigue from all the miles. Just make sure to warm-up properly including some strides as your body hasn’t had to run fast for a while. I’d do a progressive 5K tomorrow to get the legs prepped if I were you.
    I used to quite like mud when I was younger & stronger.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Despite having to take four painkillers after the "race" (I say race because I was most definitely not racing it, I was just trying to survive) my groin wasn't too bad this morning so I did a six mile plod.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds way too much like XC for my liking Cal. I do a couple of trail races each yr but they are in mid summer!

Going to try to spin the legs a bit quicker than the recent 1/2 At the Bognor 10k tomorrow. Danger of a few frothies tonight as its my bday, but its a late start tomorrow at 10.30am.
  • Options
    Many happy returns TR, have one on me, maybe after the 10k best of luck tomorrow.

Cal - some people like mud, I'm not one of them so you have my sympathies.

Jools - I remember that run, it was a monster effort.

Steve - textbook recovery continues. Yep 3x marathon + ultra.

Reg - with your IM background I reckon you would transition to ultras quite well.

Unsurprisingly I've been focusing on recovery, until Wednesday at least where I found myself on the start line of a badly scheduled works 10k.  Plan was to run to feel which turned out to be full available effort.  I seemed to settle into sub 4m km's and was thrilled to see my watch measure a short course for a sub 39.  

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    California Country parkrun today (Berks, not America) - a mix of hard path and winding dirt trail (fortunately not too muddy) with one hill which wasn't bad. Exactly one minute faster than my run at Maidenhead last week. Groin wasn't bad but then I went for an afternoon walk and it was a complete sod. Ugh.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    My plans for a long run today were derailed by the Eurovision train. I got sucked into watching it so I went to bed at midnight, which is a good two hours later than usual, but still woke up at the same time, feeling alert but absolutely knackered (unsurprisingly because I'd only had 5 hours sleep). Eventually I went out and did 6 miles a bit after 11am. Sun was warm but there was a cool breeze so I didn't feel hot. Groin not quite right but better than yesterday at least...it did warm up after a bit.
    I'll do a longer run Tuesday instead.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - you've some tough Legs, a sub39 a few days after 100m race.

Cal - i tend to stay up too late on weekends having a few frothies and then having to do a 20 miler the next morning. Should make race day easier though.

38.34 (av HR 151) for me, steady run at pretty even pace that felt manageable. Legs felt freer than the hm 2 wks ago. Last yr i did 38.02 av HR 157, so 6 bpm would equate to a bit in the tank. Although I did seem to lack the conditioning (and desire) to bury myself, not surprising i guess with my last 10k being 10 months ago, and im only really interested in sub3s.....but onwards and upwards, it'll have done me good training wise, which is good for sub3 prospects.