Options

northern social

Comments

• Options
    Hi XL-man,
    I'm doing the Blaydon race as well, I'm also doing the Raby Castle 10k at Staindrop on 31st of May, are you having a go at this one? its a nice run through the castle grounds and parkland

Gannin' alang the Scotswood Ro-o-o-o-ad running in the blaydon ra-ace

well two of us are anyway
  • Options
    caramac-that stinks about your work duty.Just put a sicky in.Divvent let the b******s get to ya.We,re always putting sickys in up here,its the weather!!!

xl-man and northern snail,you should dee the sand dancer to mackum land run.
    nevermind gannin alang the scotswood road
    get yasells alang to wheez keeys land!!!

welcome alang bimbo.If you find yasell struggling with the dialoge,ask caramac!!!
  • Options
    by the way,these late shifts are murder.I,m shattered.See ya all later.
  • Options
    NEVER MIND GANNIN ALANG THE SCOTSWOOD ROAD !!!!

It's our birthright man!

Good to know there's at least one more forumite on the trip NS, I was going to post a thread nearer the date to see if there were any more of us.
  • Options
    morning, thanks for the sympathy guys over the work situation, dont know whether it can be changed , wont find out till friday so will seethe silently till then! I think the list is graduaully increasing but its a decent number for an do , looking forward to it, better get me request in at work now!

I once nursed the lady whose grandfather wrote the blaydon races!! (in gateshead)
  • Options
    morning folks,

Mick, whats the pier to pier race like? is it a road race or run along the beach.
    I'm interested as its the week before the Raby castle 10k and I know the basic route (by road)

• Options
    Geordie Ridley right?
    Do you mean you nursed her in Gateshead, or he wrote it in Gateshead? I was always lead to beleive that he wrote it in Balmbra's, or is that just where it had it's first performance?
  • Options
    morning all

northern snail-the pier to pier is a good leg stretcher.You start on the beach at south shields pier,run until waters edge pub,then its up you go following the cliff top path[the finish for the GNR is 100 yds away].Staying on the troden down path,you pass marsden rock,souter lighthouse going onto the beach at whitburn then seaburn and finaly roker[pier].Last year about 500 took part and its becoming very popular.It costs about 7-8 english pounds and you do get a goody bag.Entrys are taken on the day and there is a baggage bus.
  • Options
    XL man, sorry, i nursed her in gateshead (did my nurse training at the QE)

Mick , is marsden grotto still there? i remember going to the pub/restaurant many years ago.
  • Options
    Hi caramac,
    the marsden grotto is still there but the stone arch in the marsden rock has gone, apparently it was becoming unsafe so the council had to demolish it
  • Options
    I'm doing the Blaydon Race as well & was considering the Raby, but decided to do the North Shield Poly 10k on the Wed before instead.
  • Options
    Hello caramac,aye northern snail is right,but the grotto is now called the tavistok inn[very posh].I,ve been for a run this morning,for those of you who,ve done the GNR before ,i went down that little bank just before you turn left to do the last mile along the coast road[oh the pain]!!I turned right and went passed the marsden grotto on my way back to sunderland.Beautiful morning for a run.
  • Options
    afternoon , Hi Mick and Northern Snail youre very lucky having such a route to run! I can run some country routes which are relaxing but would love to have the choice of a coastal route. Also very envious of Fell runner who has the yorkshire dales to choose from! When i visit the parents in darlo, i just tend to do large circular route around the town (they live near the south park) but i keep meaning to try an find a more picturesque run maybe near the tees? any ideas, northern snail?
    just done 10 miles but it seemed to take ages and i did have to walk while i ate an icelolly (not very athletic!)
  • Options
    Caramac - found reasonably nice route in Darlo last year. Park in layby near Baydale Beck pub (Coniscliffe Road). Take track that runs across farmland from lay-by. Follow it all the way until it goes through a farm gate and meets Staindrop Road. Turn right, go to the junction with Carmel Road, turn right there and follow Carmel Road North and South to Blackwell. Turn right there (Spar shop on corner) and take the path on the right, through a gate and down into Blackwell Woods. You can then follow riverside path all the way to Broken Scar, then run up through car park/picnic area to meet Coniscliffe Road, turn left and back to the lay-by. Sounds complicated but really easy to follow. Didn't measure it but guess it's about 6 or 7 miles? Map and bit of string should help.
  • Options
    thanks Jill, will try that one, not too far from my parents either . It is nice to be able to try different routes especially more pretty ones! seem to have spent the last few visits plodding around industrial estates!
  • Options
    Is the marsden grotto near the Marsden Rattler pub ?

• Options
    Marsden Grotto (tavistock) is further along from the Rattler.

Has anyone had an entry for the Blaydon yet?

I sent mine in a month ago but no entry so far.

who has entrys for the GNR...

fergalk
  • Options
    hi folks,
    got my number for the Raby Castle 10k yesterday,
    my cheque has been cashed for the Blaydon race so I assume I'm in.
    I got a GNR magazine the other week that said I was in.
  • Options
    I haven't had confirmation for Blaydon yet either, sent it in some time ago. I guess there's nothing to worry about if none of us have heard.
    Did anyone do it last year and have a similar experience?
  • Options
    Caramac,Jill
    just been reading the previous posts and realised I'd missed your question about routes round Darlo.
    I tend to use the same route when I'm out by myself but when I go out with the running club our coach takes us on tracks I didn't know existed,
    I have a list of 'walks' that I have done round the area that would make fairly good runs so I'll see if I can get copies for you.
    when I get them I'll let you know and fax / post them to you to whatever address/ number you want to use
  • Options
    thanks N.Snail, that would be good, im not due up there till july/ august so no rush! Jill Neill sent me a good route which i will try then as well , its good to have some variation!
    All of these familiar sounding races are making me feel very left out down here! the raby castle run sounds fab, i love raby castle. I shall get dates for these and maybe next year arrange some visits round them!
  • Options
    morning folks,
    very quiet in here this morning, wheres everyone hiding?
  • Options
    CurtainsCurtains ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Lovely day , has anyone had any info on the Blaydon Race. I think I'm going to get a rejection letter as I sent it in late and my cheque hasn't been cashed.

could I join you on the pre GNR drink ?
  • Options
    Morning,

Just thought I'd pop my head up above the long grass.

I'm doing Raby Castle - No 152

Didn't know there was a Northeast interest
  • Options
    Hi Sodahead and Curtains,
    everyone is welcome at the northern social, the more the merrier.
    Sodahead, I'll keep a lookout for you, my number is 57, or 52, I'll have to check when I get home.
    the raby castle 10k is a local run for me as I live about 12 miles away

hate being stuck at work on a lovely sunny day like this.
  • Options
    NSnail, what is the course like, undulating or flat?

I fancy have a crack at the PB if its not too hilly. The last 10K I did was Billingham where I blew a gasket when I took a drink at a drinks station, won't be doing that again.
  • Options
    Curtains and Sodahead, we are trying to suss out if there is enough interest for a regular northeastern social , slowly the names are increasing and so hopefully the first official northeastern social will take place about a month before GNR probably in newcastle (but still open to other offers!). Hope to see you there
    afternoon N snail, im on nights so had to sleep thro this lovely day, thankfully , not too many lawnmowers going
  • Options
    Not been to Newcastle before, not ever. I've spent 23 years in the North East and never had a night out in Newcastle.

The more I think about it the more appealing it becomes :-)
  • Options
    Oh, must tell, went to a car boot sale at Redcar. Picked up 3 pairs of spikes, all in good nick, for £1 each :-)

These will get donated to the junior's training coach at our club so that they can get decent footwear for the Xcountry races.
  • Options
    Sodahead, Newcastle is a great night out!! you now have to attend, we cant allow you to go any furthur in your life without a night on the toon!