Options

Wednesday 19th May

Comments

• Options
    well done Treadmill, mike and Matt!

8 x 600m cross country reps in 1:54 with 1 minute recovery. Good session.
  • Options
    That's good running MikeS. A big well done to young Matt too.

Treadmill, I'd kill for a sub 36 min 10K, well done
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    What - 55 minutes run, had some problems with right hip/hamstring/glutes - been sore since running last week. Did 7 miles after lunch so just slow running in the sun. Supposed to be doing a marathon on Sat, not at all sure I should but may leave a car at half distance as a potential bale out!

Will check back later for reports.

Monique - An hour and 4 for 20 miles isn't a bad time for a training ride - that's almost 20 miles an hour.

Speedie/Monique - I think you have to take any time on a turbo/exercise bike with a pinch of salt - far better to train to heart rate. Speedie you turbo time equates to a 55 minute 25, to do that in training in between runs suggests the speedo is optimistic unless you are a top class time trialist (and if you are please let us know how you become one!).

For an idea of what good riders' pbs are like look here : http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11227&start=0

Lizzy - Thanks for that link to Derby Tri, I like their new website. I've toyed with the idea of Tri but my problem is I see triathlon as 3 events rather than one so I'd always be thinking I was spreading myself thin - I know proper triathletes view it as a sport in itself. I was having a look at Long Eaton CC's website the other day - I knew the Spencer brothers were fast but I didn't quite realise how good they'd been in their prime until I looked at the rider profiles - your husband must know them?
  • Options
    Just post my Askern report before reading the thread.

One word.

Crap.

Really don't know what to do now. Once Treadmill kicked on at 6k I knew it had gone. Oh, and the guy I raced neck and neck with the other week finished 34:04, a minute and a half in front of me.

• Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Treadmill, Mike S, Matt - well done! And good reading.

Mike S - have a really careful look at hip and calf, in short all muscles on that side for tightening. Massage time?

A long time ago, when trouble was first starting, I began noticing that my heels did not go down. I am not remotely suggesting that you might have a touch of what affects me, but the consequence of what I've got is Very Tight muscles (heels nowhere near reach the ground), particularly on the left side, and that is introducing a strain on achilles.

Nobody wants that, so, stitch in time and all that rot (who wants to stitch time?), but it's worth a thought.
  • Options
    BR - I ran crap too, but at least we ran well at London.
  • Options
    Treadmill, Mike S and Matt - congrats

BR - How bad was it? What was the final time? Perhaps your body is telling you to rest a bit more after the exertions of FLM. Books unpacked here now if you want me to send you by e-mail that 5 week post mara recovery plan I mentionned before which was packed away too quickly?

Simon
  • Options
    Another good race, MikeS.

MikeB, marathons taking some time to leave your legs? Tell me about it:(
  • Options
    35:32.

All my rivals beat me, most of them comfortably.

How long is this going to last? I understand marathon recovery but I was 31 secs slower than last year. How can that be?
  • Options
    BR,

Oops being a bit daft - read now more carefully the reference to you finishing 90 secs behind the guy.

Simon
  • Options
    BR,

I don't think its a coincidence that both you and Mike B are not feeling on top of the world and posting mixed results. You both invested a hell of a lot in FLM and largely got what you wanted. Maybe you do need to back off a tiny bit. I really think this was what did me in post Amsterdam and caused the stress fracture - not taking enough time off to properly recover.

Simon
  • Options
    I see your point but it took far less time to recover from FLM 2003 and Nottingham 2003. I thought I'd come back better now I'm fitter. It's worse though.

`back off'? hmmmm...
  • Options
    Well run and good report Treadmill!

BR: sorry to hear your're struggling (relatively speaking)- always frustrating to see those rivals ahead of you! I'm sure a few more weeks will make a difference to your performance over shorter distances.

Any news on Stiflers result?

• Options
    BR everybody has a poor race occassionally but as you say you are still in FLM recovery mode and perhaps a bit too hot for you. Don't beat yourself up over this performance it is still a time most people dream about.
  • Options
    evening

good running Mike S, Treadmill; BR, I suspect marathon pace and London are still a little ingrained, am sure a bit more speedwork will really sharpen you up :-)
    ....or a rest!

glad to see the haircuts workking Pammie, I think I must invest in one soon!

club fartlek sessionlast night followed by a flatout 200m against the sprinters, left trailing....tennis tonight and a long hilly run tomorrow with club.

just details of upcoming 30km race - 1 map, no route and 12 checkpoints..find your own way or hope the guy in front isn't lost! will keep you posted if/when I run.
  • Options
    NE, I don't think Stifler will be cracking open the champagne tonight either:(

Thanks for the kind words guys. It's hard to take when people you know have done the same FLM in the same range of times and have done the same few races are kicking my a**e though.

Stifler's V50 clubmate for example, out of sight tonight. A few others as well.

We'll see what the next few days bring.
  • Options
    What; 14 miles split over two sessions, 5 @ 2pm gentle and 9 ish hilly with the club tonight @7.
    Why; That is what mr de Sade has demanded of me with his lovely plan
    Last hard; Still the moonwalk on sunday
    Last rest Monday

Actually enjoyed the sessions today even if the PM one was hot, am determined to keep as close to the schedule as circumstances allow.
  • Options
    Should have mentioned, nice to meet Stifler, even if it was only at the finish. Great racing but very surprised to hear he ran slower than at Sandle, by was it around 40sec Stifler. I took the same time off my Sandle time

Sodahead, I wish I had the guts to do that kind of speed stuff. Your race times will go into freefall :0)

Speedie; Sunshine?? Where? I wish.

Stickless; I'm not one for running through injuries but yours sounds like one I might try to. You keep at it too.

Fat Face; Nice to see a new you! You'll pull through; you have the same mentality as BR

Mike S; that's a very respectable 5k time on the road let alone on tracks etc

Just read BR's post. Ignore him. He's on a downer at the moment. His legs will retain the months of training, and when he enters his next race in the right frame of mind he'll finish a 10k in 33m 15s. And 2 pints are on that BR!!
  • Options
    Well done Treadmill, MikeS,Matt. Well done to you too BR, even though the result is not what you would have wished for.

Back from club run, orienteering didn't happen. 6ish miles off road, bit stop start to keep the group together but good fun anyway.
  • Options
    BR: surely a poor student wouldn't be able to afford champagne anyway ;-)

Just a thought for you though........

I was talking to a clubmate tonight who also ran FLM this year. He hits 50 this week but is still capable of sub 2:50. I asked him whether he was planning any racing over the next few weeks but he's giving himself until July before he's ready!

Like you, he doesn't like being beaten by runners he knows he's usually capable of beating. Unlike you, he manages to train without racing until he's fit again. Don't think I'd be able to go so long without racing but its one thing or t'other I spose?

Despite FLM he still pushed me hard over a tough 64 min 10 miler tonight!
  • Options
    BR; There is nothing wrong with your legs and your recent 1st place at Spencers proves it.
  • Options
    Interesting thought NE. I wasn't expecting to beat the world but guys I beat at FLM are wiping the floor with me at the moment. Maybe some people get over a marathon quicker?

Treadmill - a frame of mind will take 2 mins off a 10k time? I was in a great frame of mind until you unkindly ran off at 6K:)
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I suppose if you train properly you peak for an event - you can't expect to sustain that peak. Runners that recover quickly probably didn't peak properly.
  • Options
    GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    Swimming like a fish today - possibly a slighly injured fish who has a "thing" about water, but you get the point.

wen't ok did well quite happy with overall performance and a little less worried about my tri
  • Options
    hello
    2 miles this am(late up, trying to keep the habit going)
    4.5 miles on the tready pm(hubby has gym induction)
  • Options
    Ohh I would have loved to run against Treadmill, BR and Stifler.

Treadmill - Brilliant, all the secretive training pays off :) Do you still sleep in the high altitude tent?

BR - I can see a minor similarity with my training I ran actually faster during my high mileage marathon build up weeks.

What? 16m mid week long run (started easy and become steady) followed by a Jacuzzi session
    Why? Pump up the volume
    Last hard? Yesterday
    Last rest? Saturday

Was running around Hyde Park. First 6m were pretty hard, trying to loosen the legs from yesterday's intervals. Hour later felt slightly better. All of a sudden ran into a huge number of runners, looked like the Serpis were on a training run. Started at the back of the field and worked my way through. The whole run turned into a steady run. At some stage, closing down a few guys with racing flats, thought oh enough is enough, better take it easy :)
  • Options
    Wrong BR. You said at the start I would beat you which at our current levels of fitness is cr**
  • Options
    BR

i too will buy you a couple of pints if you dont smash a race in the next 8 weeks

i think my money is safe

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Never mind BR- you live to fight another day,I think there's truth in what Popsider says, I have always had two to three weeks off after a marathon before starting running again, this is the first time I have continued to train but even so no hard runs for two weeks, your recovery is an active one but you should still class it as recovery and not worry too much about times just yet.
    Well done to Treadmill as well, where's that student want to hear what he has to say.
    Right I am off to check Popsiders link to get a handle on bike times.
  • Options
    Treadmill, I know my body. Maybe I should be a doctor....

Hippo, thanks for the offer. Looks like being one hell of a session in July:)