Options

Saturday 22nd May

Comments

• Options
    Hello All,
    Yes Benz I ran an 8 off road at the club and felt it was hard,but did an hour and 4 whereas the previous week did 8 in 54.55,alright we had a few times of uncertainty as to route which you stop for but even so, however when my Garmin got a dsignal I clocked the last mile in 5:55 so can't be all that bad.

Yesterday was an early swim- mile and a half, pool was busy so no great shakes time wise.
    Today is a rest day, in prepartion for a long bike tomorrow, will no doubt see my ar$se as we are going with two proper cyclists
  • Options
    hi all. Finally feel like I'm starting to be a runner again, after 6 weeks of resting a pulled muscle/bu88ered knees. Went for first run last week - 4 miles and I was knackered and sore and thoroughly demoralised and then had to walk another mile back. This week:

Tues: 4 miles. Hell.
    Weds: 5 miles. Hell.
    Thurs: 6 miles. Slightly better.
    Fri: speedwork. Awful to start, but 400m lap times had improved significantly by the end.
    Today: 10 miles, admittedly at frustratingly slow 10 min/miles, but it felt so easy and so good! Could have gone on but I was desperate for the loo and starving too! Yippee, I can run again!

I'm off to celebrate, not quite sure how, but I suspect it will involve food!

Good luck to all racing today/tomorrow...
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Had an awful run this morning, had scheduled an easy 15 miler but I knew before I even set out that it was one of those days that it just wasn't going to happen. Felt pretty crappy all the way round, all my leg muscles felt very tight, particularly round the troublesome hip, so gave it up early and returned home having done 5 miles. Grrrr.

So that's a mighty 25 mile week! Definitely not running at my best right now.

Anyway, I'm off for a weekend away with the bird, so won't be posting (or running) again until Tuesday. Good luck to Zilla and M and Furzefield, and to all other racers this weekend!
  • Options
    Blisters, I have no hope of catching Stifler, I will be chuffed just to go sub-36!

Good luck to all racers this w/e, have a Guinness before hand - it's turbo fuel! :-)
  • Options
    GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    Cheers V - hope you get back to good form soon mate
  • Options
    Afternoon

Hilly and M good luck with Tri's tomorrow look forward to reports!

Monique have a good long bike ride - should get mine in tomorrow!

MM know how you feel - was in the same boat this morning!

What: 14 miles and suffered

6 miles to Greenwich to meet other half for lunch got there early so another 2 miles round park ( then sat down for an hour ) and 6 mile back but legs were like jelly and suffered the whole way home but managed to finish and now enjoying a root beer float!

Why: Marathon training

Last Hard: Last 6 miles of todays run

Last Rest: Saturday

Very pleased with this weeks training have tried to concentrate on endurance covering 83 miles since sunday - 45 miles bike - 3 miles swimming - and a plenty of core stability.

Good luck to all racers this weekend
  • Options
    16.5 miles in 1hr 48min. 2 lap route and negative splits :-)
    Why; nothing yesterday and easy Thursday, so ready for it.

BT; I thought 40 was considered the lowest 'normal' RHR, even in elite athletes?!

See you all later after I've read all the postings :-)
  • Options
    Good run Treadmill. See what your can do now you've ditched your slow training partners:)
  • Options
    Hey Speedie, I do hope that you weren't one of the 16 out of 19 runners who failed to respond to my 'good morning/afternoon' today! I went round the heath, then through the park and along the river to the barrier and home, so would have been in the park around 12-12.30ish...
  • Options
    what?
    newt
    woz doing white peak
    BUT?!
    got invited back to mates sisters home for a few beers'one thing led to another 'looked at clock 0430 (ooops)i think il be abit tired for race now so i thourt sod iil have a easy 10 orso tomorrow
    good luck all
    NO RACE REPORTS YET
    whats goin off
  • Options
    Back from White Peak half, fantastic race with a somewhat quirky start! The race is all off road surrounded by fantastic scenery and is basically the second half of the marathon. The race shared the mile markers with the marathon, very confusing at times! Popsider, I am so envious of you living in the area.

As I said earlier, I wasn't expecting much from this. Only been back six weeks from a six week layoff. However, was pleasantly surprised by my performance.

Didn't log many times because I didn't think they would matter,

First half mile was narrow and congested, missed the first mile marker.

Second mile in 17:01, faster than I was expecting but feeling ok
    Third mile in 25:26, probably equates to a 5k pb

eight miles 1.10:01, starting to realise that a pb is a possibility but three big descents coming up.

eleven miles 1.37:03, legs suffering after two downhills, right calf feels tight.
    Twelve miles,after third and steepest downhill, develop cramp in calf manage to stretch it out without stopping and carry on running but too scared to push off on my toes.
    Finished in 1.58:58 (1.58:23 on my watch) Pb at Helsby in January was 1.58.01. So second time under 2hours, very pleased with that, given how little training I've done and it was a lot hotter than it was in January! I was changed and had a cup of tea before the first marathon runner arrived.

Interested to see what the others made of it.

• Options
    Shame on you Simon!!

Meant to say, puzzled by the cramp. Never sufferred with cramp whilst running before. Any thoughts on why today, the descents maybe?
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Barbara fantastic

I think perhaps, that you didn't put yourself under pressure going into the race that you were relaxed and you just ran faster than you thought sometimes things happen like that.

Wait till you have some more training behind you and a flatter course. You'll have a new pb.

Not that i'm putting you Under pressure.
  • Options
    Deffo not me Snail - saw plenty of runners on the Heath but none to say hello to all either on other side of the road or way infront!

Also when running along the Heath a yellow van pulled along side me ( both still moving ) and he leaned out the window and shouted " oi mate what the fastest time you can run a mile " I had to have a quick think and replied " not sure mate maybe 5:30 " and then zoomed off - he's got me thinking now!

Barbara well done on your second 1/2 under 2 hours that is a good achievemnet - well done and enjoy your evening!

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done Barbara, always nice to be surprised by a performance and off little training!

sfh legs-another interesting run, hope the ankle is ok!
  • Options
    Evening

Well run Barbara, enjoy the celebration

shf legs - great orienteering report. Be carefull what route you select for your long run tomorrow :o)

First time in weeks I've had the right colours on the PC monitor, so this is what the site is supposed to look like. (Sodahead makes mental note to change photo)
  • Options
    Evening all,

Woke up this morning and thought "I feel better...I must have been ill the last few days". Been feeling a bit down and running badly, but not any specific symptoms other than a scratchy throat. But felt so much better today.

Celebrated with a game of squash. And was nearly tempted into a run later in the day. Decided against it, though, as I want to put in a good session tomorrow.

Nice to feel good again!
  • Options
    Treadmill, Big Mig [Migual Indurain] [sorry if I've spelt it wrong!] won the Tour de France 5 times & had a resting HR of 29!!!

Reating HR all depends on your fitness, the fitter you are the lower it can go.
    I first had a HR moniter 10-11 yrs ago, I used to sleep with it on, recorde the low readings of 33's then.
    Around 2am is when your body is in it's most restfull state [or should be, unless out night clubbing :-)]
    I've had somebody tell me that when I'm asleep, you can hear nothing at all, almost as if I'm dead!

Max HR, is what it is & there's nothing you can do about it, it also decreases with age.
    Mines around 175.

Heart Rate Reserve is the difference between your max & resting HR.
    So mine is -------> 175-43 = 132!

Barbara great run, you should be very happy

Speedie, I've run 5:00 for the mile 4:59 would have been better!!!
    Have run 3000m just under 5min mileing though :-)
  • Options
    Whats this iv been reading Blisters and Bryan? Am i meant to be doing a 10k tommorrow? Im not sure???

I may go to Derby and enter on the day if they'l have me but thats unlikely. Its not full is it?

Have not done anything at all today so i may well go for a 6 miler as soon as i submit this.

When i get back i want a reply as to what Bryan is doing tommorrow and why im racing him.

What: 40 mins easy

Why: Feel slightly tired but have done nothing all day. May race tommorrow.

Last Hard: Thursday

Last Rest: 25 days
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone

WHat - WPMarathon

Wasn't sure whether to run it as knee isn't long better and I've had a muscular or nerve problem around the back of the hip area. Also not really run much last 3 months - 2 months injured and maybe half a dozen runs in the last month 8 miles max.

First 5 miles felt OK - started at 8s and did the next two closer to 7s then one about mid way. Niggle in right glute area and front hip flexor areas came on and got increasingly more painful. Right knee was also niggling but this was pretty much masked by the hip muscle pain.

By 10 miles I was limping slightly as I ran - went through half way in just over 1.40 - carried on to 14.5 when had to give up and get a lift back with a spectator for which I am very appreciative - she said her husband looks at this site so if it is you please pass on my thanks.

Anyway all in all quite pleased to get that far - by far the furthest I've been since the half marathon I got injured in (can't remember the name but it was the one in Lincs from an RAF base).

Alison did her first full and got round in 4.17 The mate I talked into running it gor round in 5 after doing the first half in about 2 hours - he said afterwards at 10 miles he thought running was quite easy - at about 15 he'd changed his mind.

Didn't meet any forumites other than the guy I ran with last year (canal man ??) - was a bit rushed at the start - but I was wearing a blue Derby Merc cycling top and was sat by the finish mostly with a woman in a green top.

Cycled home the 16 miles OK @ 18.7 ave!
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Oh and the winner came in in 2.48
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    And I've now entered 4 marathons, made the start line in 2, and finished 1 - I am thinking of trading my legs in for something more useful.
  • Options
    Well done anyway. At least you'v came through all the stages of a)thinking about doing exercise, b)starting exercise, c)being competitive in your sport, c)entering and completing events in your sport with and without injuries.

Many People think about a) on 1st of January then forget all about it and why they set their alarm for 6:00am on 2nd january, turning over and going back to sleep.

Right, i really am going for 6 miles now.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Oh well Posider, it was worth a try. Pass on my congrats to Alison.

Well done to you as well Barabara, glad you enjoyed it.

Today.. 1.5 mile warm up

12 x 350m hill sprints, jog down for recovery

1.5 mile warm down.

Good luck to tomorrow's racers.
  • Options
    Speedie, glad to hear it - though I would have been even happier if you were one of the three who replied!!

How come van drivers shout interesting running-related questions at you? I got asked 4 times if I 'fancied a sh@g'... and several more times challenged to a race by blokes in cars. Why do they think that's clever/funny?

Barbara, well done! Re the cramp, a fairly common cause of cramp in warm weather is lack of salt, particularly during/after intense exercise. Another possible cause is magnesium deficiency - you can get little pots of magnesium tablets from health food shops. But given it was quite warm today and you were running at the time, probably the former and probably temporary. Sports drinks help. As does marmite on toast for breakfast!
  • Options
    oops, accidentally hit submit, meant to say commiserations to Popsider too.
  • Options
    Well done Barbara and also Alison - commiserations Popsider.

Treadmill - that sounds like a good outing today - how does that time compare to when you are fully fit.

What: Had planned 6 miles recovery but got a bit lost in the forest so ended up with 8 miles and last two a bit brisk as I was running late.

Why: Legs still very tired from Thusday race and Friday long run and planning 17-18 miles tommorrow.

Last hard: Yeserday
    Last rest day: 27 days

Simon
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Good try Popsider, but maybe best you didn't get to finish it having done so little running. Well done to Alison!

• Options
    Evening Everybody

Popsider Tough luck

Barbara well done on another sub 2hr H/M

Zilla good luck in your tri tomorrow

What: 15 miles easy run along canal towpath for 8 miles then back uphill on road for 7 miles
    Why: Hard Session tomorrow

Have a good day everybody
  • Options
    Of course we could all adopt Stifler's patent method of getting tanked the night before a race. If it works for him.....

Actually I'm only jealous Stifler. Even accepting your advantage of youth over experience, I think you hold a far superior advantage of talent & hard work over sloth and whatever the opposite is to talent.

Hey! It was great today just jogging through town in shorts and t-shirt simply because it was quicker than walking, yet not getting into a sweat or getting out of breath. I like being fit.

Does anyone else find themselves looking at 14 year olds and thinking "lardy", or more middle aged people and thinking "fat b******d"?