Options

Saturday 22nd May

13»

Comments

• Options
    I sure do blister's :-)

Bad luck popsider but well done to Alison.

Lyrics today were "Do It Clean" by "Echo & The Bunnymen"
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Barbara, congratulations on your time. I tried to spot you at the race but obviously missed you.

Popsider, glad to see that you're feeling positive about the day.

Anyway, my own White Peak report:

Like Barbara said, the weather was good for running: warm but not hot, and the trail was dry all the way round. There was a bit of chaos at the start - first race I've been in where no-one wanted to go to the front. I ended up in the first ten or so, but the field soon got spread out.

The first mile split was really 0.9m because we were using the full marathon distance markers. The first eight miles were fairly flat and generally on a good surface, though things got harder when it changed to looser gravel at around 7m. I held a fairly consistent pace over this stretch, with my splits all between 6:20 and 6:32.

After 8m I was in 9th position (though I didn't know this at the time) and could see the two guys in front of me struggling. Trouble was, so was I: I had a stitch that was getting steadily worse. I was hanging on for dear life, but still gaining on one of the guys in front.

The descents on the last 5m were too steep for me, the kind where going flat out would get you to the bottom with two broken legs. Fortunately though, my stitch eased up over this stretch. I was still battling it out with the guy in front: he was quicker than me on the downhills but I knew I could get him on the flat and uphill stretches.

Coming into the last mile, all flat, I was hurting but still maintaining a good pace. I saw what I thought was the finish and made my move, passing the guy and moving into 8th place. Unfortunately, the "finish" turned out to be round another corner: another 100 yards or so to go. Holding the sprint was an effort of will more than anything, but I did it, finishing in 8th place (my best ever result) in a time of 1:23:37. This was 11 seconds slower than my PB, but on a course where most of the frontrunners lost a minute or more on their best, I reckon this was pretty good.

Overall, definitely one to do again. Excellent atmosphere, great organisation, and if there's a race in Britain with better scenery I haven't done it yet.
  • Options
    well done Aardvark
  • Options
    Thanks for all the congrats everybody! Thanks for the advice Snail.

Aardvark, not knowing race numbers before made it a bit tricky to spot anybody. Well done on your race. Those downhill sections were much longer than I expected and the concrete sleepers made the risk of injury pretty high!

Certainly a race to inspire the most jaded runner.
  • Options
    Well run Aardvark

I am now trying the "stifler race/train preperation method" although I think I need to up the pace a bit :o)
  • Options
    Sodahead, there's quite a body of evidence on that method, has been suggested that it might be the carbo loading after the drinking that has the effect of improving race times!
  • Options
    I've ate two packets of cheese and onion
  • Options
    Think curry and chips was used in the trials.
  • Options
    DD; is the Comrades schedule marathon training specific regime, or is it advice from a coach, cf Hadd; Lydiard; Parker ?

Marmite; a hangover two nights before a race seems like good planning! Good luck at Derby. Toyed with the idea myself 'till did today's long run.

Venom; hope to see you back to where you belong, and soon.

Barbara; well run. May sound a stupid Q but is this a hilly course??

BR fancy an easy evening run tomorrow??
  • Options
    OK, so for next Saturday night my preperation for a 10K is -

4 pints of guinness and a spaggi bol curry. And if its hot add extra salt.

Sorted
  • Options
    Blisters I agree with your observations and delight over fitness levels.
  • Options
    Treadmill, I would say not hilly but several people commented that it was, think Aardvark mentioned some hiils. There were certainly no sections where I felt like I was running uphill. Now the descents were a different matter, must be hell towards the end of the marathon! Not sure about the first half of the marathon though, that might be hillier.
  • Options
    BT. The slower the HR the greater the stroke volume has to be to provide blood/oxygen to where it's needed. Trouble is there is a critical point when heart size/efficiency curve reaches it's max and you then on the down part of the curve.
  • Options
    I look forward to the race report Sodahead!
  • Options
    Barbara, I'm preparing it now -

"Right from the gun I knew this was going to be a tough race..."
  • Options
    "for my competitors.."
  • Options
    "....last nites 4 pints of spitfire and a bad curry were all ready to give me the firepower i needed in the last 1,000m. ...."
  • Options
    "with the strong wind"
  • Options
    "to repel them.."
  • Options
    Popsider; I cringe at you and many others who train and race while injured. Sorry to hear you had to pull out. Better out for a day than........ I'm very cautious. Hope there's no lasting damage. Was that cycle speed in kph or mph?
  • Options
    Seeing as we will be running through a country park the next line has got to be

"as the local wildlife was getting too close for comfort"
  • Options
    "I released my secret weapon..."
  • Options
    Simon; only ever done this run once before and I've spent a good 20 mins trying to find the time in my log but can't, but will eventually. The encouraging thing is that I feel fine now, not knack'ed. Tomorrow might be different though.
    Low mileage week but a real confidence boost
  • Options
    WHOA! I'VE GOT A SECRET WEAPON????

Is it laughing gas

Can I extend my legs by 12" thus increasing my stride length and speed which completely demoralises my fellow competitors

Do I drop out on lap 1 and rejoin the race as 1st place runner is passing the place where I am hiding on lap 2
  • Options
    Stifler; spitfire isn't your usual brew. I've trid lots of these so called speciality bottled beers and there are some really excellent beers around. Spitfire is one of the few relatively low alcohol, (4.5%), beers that taste really good. We should get together along with another officionardo BR, (that doesn't look right),for a pre race tasting!
  • Options
    Yeah mate. It'l give me an John an excuse so we wont have to play down our chances before!
  • Options
    Stifler; I've e-mailed BR with your sentiments! See ya soon.
  • Options
    Well done Barbara and Aardvark, very good runs.

Popsider, don't know what to say. Puts little niggles and losses of form into perspective.

Treadmill, I'll run with you if you've had 3 bottles of Spitfire and 3 bags of nuts first:)

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the sympathy but really quite pleased with the day - nice and sunny and had a few drinks and met a few people after I haven't seen for a while.

It is a lovely race too as I'm sure the others that ran it would confirm. I was thinking watching the finishers why don't some of you enter this and win it, I know it might be a cheap win but a win is a win isn't it. Next year I want to see daily training threaders taking mens and womens races!

Treadmill - it was mph you cheeky so and so ! I'm quite pleased with the week cycling wise - finally posted a TT time that was up with the proper competitive lads in our club - it's stupid little victories like this that make it worthwhile.
  • Options
    Hey Aardvark the guy you passed for 8th place was me :o)

I didn't feel like I was properly struggling until I hit the bottom of the final hill 12 miles... I was already slowing before then though I'll give you that ;o)

Good to chat to you afterwards.. hope the journey home was not too much of a trauma on the train.

Andy