Options

best running put-downs

Comments

• Options
    If I'm in a bad mood no-one is spared...;-)

Nah, its usually to the "bird or bloke" or "you've got no tits" sort of comments - y'know , the ones that *really* hurt
  • Options
    Right I'm staying clear of you then!

I think my hairy (manly(?)) legs keep me in the 'bloke in too short running shorts' category!
  • Options
    My pet peeve is people in cars tooting or just staring (luckily I live near a level crossing, or this would cause accidents). I generally give a two finger salute, but am a bit ginger with this since I gave the fingers to a work colleague (automatic reaction). I mean, for crying out loud, haven't men in vans seen a girl run before?

Today I got a toot from a crusty van man and some kind of 'fist up' signal - can anyone tell me what that is supposed to mean???

• Options
    "Accidently" clipping the wing mirror of the car if it stops at a junction doesn't seem to please people.
  • Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Wahine,

Maybe best not to know!
  • Options
    I agree! I was going to give the usual wave but I thought 'best not to respond' as a woman running alone - sometimes I surprise myself with my restraint.

But, he was a middle-aged-lard-arse guy who kisses his grandchildren with that mouth - what's up with that? Doesn't bear thinking about.
  • Options
    I have the best one in repsonse to (from males).

'118 Got your number'

Response

'Got your girlfriends address and I'll give her your regards when I'm finished!'

Of course if they take offence at this you can always add a little impromtu Speed work into your training session!!!
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    I'm with The Chimp and Boy Wonder (the masters of quick wit and instant repartee) on this one, in that a cheery f*ck fat b*st*rd usually works (well it make's me feel better)

I was running yesterday morning and had the following encounter with a twelve year old on a bike:

"Ayup mister, I'm beating you"

"Of course you are, you're on a bike"

"So what"

"Get off the bike, and see if you can beat me"

"No way, I've seen you running round our school field, your really fast"

A friend for life!
  • Options
    I was followed on the pavement by some little t*&ts of about 12 ish on their bikes.

"Whoa lush tits" shouted one to the amusement of his mates.

My response of, "Do you mind, I'm old enough to be your mother" didn't shake them off. In fact I think they cycled closer to check out if I LOOKED older than their mothers!

What got rid of them was, "You know boys, when the stabilisers come off you are supposed to ride on the road"

I continued my run without their company thinking, "Actually 'lush tits' is much better than 'fat arse'"
  • Options
    Good comment on the stabilisers! I have to remember that one next time I get half mown down by a bicyclist on the pavement - grrrr.

I got a chav-tastic '118 - got your number' one night. I actually thought it was quite witty until the 12 year old told me what he had down his pants for me...

I was never this rude as a kid.
  • Options
    if the kids are chervers i normally knick the first ones burberry baseball cap then offer him out for a fight !!

usually works round here !! LOL
  • Options
    I have found the trusty

'you can run along with me for now but are you going to run all 6 miles back to my house?'

quite effective!!

Like Julsz I'm in Liverpool so am becoming a dab hand at this lark!! There are some right eejits out there!!

The best put downs are surely going to be for guys in cars stopping for bleedin directions!!! Anybody got any good ones as I am fed up of people trying to stop me and getting a snotty look when I keep running!!

'Do I look like a signpost?'

"Sorry can't help - I don't live here I'm running from John O Groats to Lands End!"

Or just send them off in the wrong direction as far away from me as possible?? Dilemma!
  • Options
    You obviously haven't seen the kids around here. I think the switchblades might come out if I did anything to them. They scare the sh*t out of me.
  • Options
    Its the sods cycling on the pavement that piss me off the most (usually teenage boys).

I've twice been knocked down by them in the past 4 years - one time I hurt my knee and couldn't run for a month, the 2nd I wasn't hurt but was knocked into the road (during rush hour) and had heart-stopping moment as cars screeched to a halt around me.

No great put down, as I was too busy trying to stay alive (and the sods cycle off anyway) but one time I was with a very fast mate and she caught the guy and gave him a bashing.
  • Options
    kids are just t$%&s

i'm lucky i suppose 6'3 and 14 stone skinhead haircut and a look of tiredness about me which give a permanent scowl (shift work) plus no one scares me (except my mam)

i run more like the javelin thrower than the marathon runner
  • Options
    Surely running like a javelin thrower would be painful after a while?? JK

I'm actually glad that sometimes I'm a bit too scared to say what I'm really thinking. My mouth gets me in trouble without even having a go at dumb kids. Also glad that the husband isn't around sometimes to 'defend my honour' - he's only going to get hurt.
  • Options
    I'm relatively restrained when I run - it's when I'm on a bike I turn into some sort of she-devil. Typical put down would be something like "YOU F***** MORON - DON'T EVER F****** PULL OUT ON A BICYCLE LIKE THAT AGAIN - DON'T YOU F******* CARE ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S F****** LIVES? YOU F*******"

And then I cycle off, feeling a LOT better.

Should add that I live in a non-English speaking country, so it doesn't really matter what I say - it's all in the delivery...
  • Options
    Not really a put down but a stupid story none the less.

I went for a quick run at lunchtime to let off some steam. I stopped to stretch my calf and I was breathing heavily (as you do). Someone asked me for directions, but I couldn't answer immediately due to the out of breath thing. Anyway, he looked all concerned and said 'Are you all right?'!!

Duh!

• Options
    i find that the javelin i carry helps as well

never managed to skewer one of the little buggers yet tho !!
  • Options
    mind you running like a javelin thrower has it's draw backs....

white lines are a bugger and i can't cross them LOL
  • Options
    Work internet connection too slow for witty response. Dammit
  • Options
    I don't mind the we kids so much - they are fine where I live, just a bit cheeky. It's the grown ups in cars I'm coming to despise! A couple of weeks ago I was running along the pavement by the main road and a guy in a car passing me from behind let out a DEAFENING SCREECH as the car went by. Naturally I leapt into the air like a rabbit and lost what little cool I had. I was reduced to making an anguished expression, yelling "f**k off!", and giving the Vs to the retreating back end of the car. Very unsatisfying. I had fantasies about being a martial arts expert all the way home (decent time though - all that adrenalin!).

A few weeks before that the inhabitants of a car waiting behind me at a level crossing BAA-ed at me. Like sheep! Why?!

I don't have any witty ripostes. I'm not a natural wit when I'm under stress, and I'm not fast enough to say anything cool about that either :-(

I just plot my imaginary revenge all the way home!
  • Options
    ketty,

thats a very theraputic way of dealing and certainly non confrontational

if you ever see the car again , parked up, just let the tyres down

they'll never remember you
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    Likewise I don't do witty, so try to stick to polite :-)

At Blackpool last year there were some barely intellible yells from the lager touting fatbellies on the Golden Mile. I found that a cheerful "Come and join me" worked wonders at silencing them, or was it the fact that I kept on running anyway so couldn't hear their replies?

With local kids...

"Cor, wotcha doing that for?" = "Because I can"

"Wotcha doing?" = "Long jump?" "No you're not, you're running" = "How observant of you"

"You're slow" = "Yep"

"Why are you so slow?" = "Because I'm old"

"I can run faster than that" = "Come on then, show me"

"Don't you get all sweaty?" = "Yes"

"My mum goes to aerobics" = "Good for her"

"Why do you wear such silly clothes?" this was a tough one, as the lad who said it had trousers that were so low-slung if he'd tried to run, they would have fallen down "I'd look pretty silly if I went running dressed like you now, wouldn't I" I hoped that one would sink in when I was about half a mile away :-)

• Options
    Had an incident about 12 months ago which I can't say I'm particularly proud of. I haven't been a runner long and am fairly slow and cumbersome. I'd there received my fair share of "you fat b*****d" and " Who ate all the pies" taunts and was getting pretty fed with it.
    Anyway, running by the side of an A-road a car sped past me and out of window came the contents of a can of what I think was sprite or lemonade, some of which caught me (admittedly not much).

The red mist decended and I sped up a fair bit.
    30 seconds later the same car was stopped at a roundabout.
    Brilliant!
    I couldn't think of anything much to say and didn't want to stop and remonstrate so, still fuming, I cooly ran past and spat on the windscreen. Very loutish I know but I needed to spit anyway and was very angry.

Had the shock of my life when I turned to look properly at the car only to see a family of four in the car; two respectable- looking parents and two kids in the back.

I'm not sure who was more embarrassed, them or me.

• Options
    Have you tried anger management?
  • Options
    hang on
    THEY threw stuff at YOU

i think you were entitled
    you may have eddicated em not to do it again