Options

best running put-downs

Comments

• Options
    I'm glad I run where I do, its off road so no problems with cars. just need to share it with other runners, horses & the occasional cyclist. Luckily the horses that I come across on my runs seem to be very used to joggers & dont seem bothered.

How frequently to you guys/gals get aggro from others as I've never experienced it?
  • Options
    Horses! I live in a major horse breeding area and I have to remember that the miles and miles of bridlepaths on which I run wouldn´t be there if it wasn´t for the 'osses.

In the summer there´s not a problem as they are all at grass but in the winter ... flighty buggers, fed on oats, and very easily spooked. I seemed to spend last winter climbing into ditches so that people could get their horses past me until I realised that it was my bright orange windproof they objected to ... if I see a horse coming I take it off and roll it up and hide it behind my back and there´s not a problem. What is it about horses and the colour orange?
  • Options
    Give them the finger and smile.

Or.......ignore 'em, they hate it when you don't respond.
  • Options
    When the chavs run alongside me . . . my elbows seem to connect with their windpipe . . . it's a shame really . . . they are so unfortunate . . . probably come from a deprived background . . . probably 'statemented' at school . . . probably need some excitement in their otherwise drab life . . . probably in need of a 'role model' to look up to ? Well they can look up from the ground where they fell, and look on as I disappear, and struggle with their new found difficulties in breathing !!! Which will probably involve further 'statementing' . . . etc. etc.
  • Options
    Nah on the way home from a glue sniffing session, probably thought you were a hallucination.
  • Options
    I appreciate that untoward comments are a release of morons frustrations. Letz face it if you are a moron (as indeed they are), there's not a lot that goes on in the cranium other than 'attitude' 'malingering' 'malicious comments' etc. etc. Tossers basically !

I despise them because they have affected my opportunity to take my wife and daughter out 'jogging'. The ##stards are out there somewhere on almost every run, and can be too confrontational for them to feel comfortable. Naturally - I rise to the occasion every time, which makes every encounter a possible incident . . . OOOOPS it's too much for the girls - and potential bundle for the boys ! NOT FUNNY but a reality where I live ! -:Q)
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    On a more positive note.

I find that post-retirement people tend to be very encouraging, and have lots of shouts of support from them when racing, and the occasional nod and smile when training.

I presume the difference is down to having had some experience of life and realising what matters.
  • Options
    If you are running along and someone asks you if you are running, just say "No I'm not running, I'm playing the violin. What does it look like I'm doing, you fool!"
  • Options
    I had something shouted at me out of a car yesterday
    was about to give the finger
    Cos I heard" bottom"

But It could have been "well done" i suppose
  • Options
    Yeah, Ultra Helephant Wheeze is right. Generally the older people I run past are encouraging and positive. My best memory of GNR last year was an absolutely smashing pensioner couple in South Shields. As well as verbally encouraging runners, she provided a cooling hose down and he handed out ice pops! They were great.
  • Options
    Ah yes . . . when running in an event . . . I don't recall meeting any such 'morons' when I've been eventing. I'm sure that the sheer weight of numbers and organisation makes them slink away into their reptilian holes !

However . . . when out on a non-event . . . alone or with wife & daughter, the morons are there in plentiful supply.

Yes - fully agree - the 'older generation(s)' are full of reason and decency. Willing to offer a supportive smile or encouragement.
    It's the 'youth of today' that we seem to have bred !!!!!! OH MY God - where are these morons coming from? Mars, Venus, Some inter-planetary S#it pile somewhere ????? -:Q)
  • Options
    I know several "morons-in-training". Yes, lack of role models, lack of success at school, lack of verbal skills, lack of confidence (believe it or not) but what can be done other than building a time machine and peventing their parents from ever reproducing?
  • Options
    I'm working on that one - as of now !

Brilliant idea, why didn't I think of that. -:Q)
  • Options
    I live in a fairly middle class area but still get plenty of abuse when out running.
    The kids I come across do not appear to be lacking in confidence or education.
    They are spoilt little brats with too much to say for themselves! They have lots of confidence and self esteem because they are used to getting their own way and getting all the material things they desire.

And yet they are still little S**ts!!
  • Options
    Living in East London, I would almost always agree with you, but I wanted to share my experience on the weekend. Woke up late with a slight hangover, but still decided to do some speed sessions around the local park. Arrived and saw seven or eight of the local boys (older teens mind you) lurking around in the shade around some of the playground equipment. I thought ‘Oh great … here we go … may have to think of somewhere else to run’. On my second lap around past the group I received my first taunt ‘GO SON GO’. Ok … he was taking the p*ss, but I kept going.

After numerous trips past them (with further quips as I passed) the combination of hangover, sun, heat and lack of water had finally beaten me and I announced to them that it would be my last lap. As I approached them for the final time, they all rose to their feet and clapped me through shouting ‘well done’ and other words of encouragement.

Had I earned their respect, or were they still taking the p*ss? … I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. I do wonder though if there were some females present whether their reactions may have been different.
  • Options
    It's a respect thing isn't it?

The kids who are shouting abuse at runners are probably the same kids who are lippy in class and carry out small mindless acts of vandalism - you know marker pens on lamp posts etc. I live in a nice suburb, the kids who live near me go to a highly regarded school but I still see this.

I don't want to come over all political, but there is a theory that these kids are pretty much the offspring of Thatcher's children. Their parents have little respect for teachers or authority in general and society - what's that? It's all, "ME,ME, ME what do I want?" Has anyone out their ever tried telling a parent that their little sod has abused them? Pound to a penny they take the kids side.

It's not all gloom and doom though. There are nice people - old and young out there. Sometimes it just appears out of balance!

P.S. I was in second year seniors (year 8 in new money) when Thatcher became PM. These kids are the offspring of my generation! Aarrgh!
  • Options
    Surely Margaret Thatcher doesn't have enough grandchildren to be abusing runners all over the country.
  • Options
    Stupid comments from stupid kids aren't limited to running! I was just at the end of a 10 mile bike ride and at the top of a very long hill when I passed 2 kids on their bikes (they were on the pavement going the opposite direction) and one says to me "Why are you going so slowly?"

It took all my strength not to acknowledge that he had spoken to me! Little b*ggers...
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I was out for a run on Thursday night, and saw a group of 14-ish year olds crossing the street up ahead.

One of them sort of detached himself from the group and I wondered what "amusing" comment I'd get from him, trying to impress his mates.

"Keep up the pace. You can make it up the hill. Go on, push it"

I nearly fell over. I managed to gasp out a "Thanks" and it really spurred me on (I did make it up the hill).

They're not all bad.
  • Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    There was some baby chavs hanging around the pavement the other night when we were running (there was quite a large group from our club - about 20!), I was expecting some lip from them but they were just laughing at us as we ran past, so to make one laugh even more I grabbed him and started tickling him! Don't know what came over me - expecting the child assault charge through the post any day now!!
  • Options
    I woz out yesterday - re-visiting 'The North Downs' route (for fun !!!!!), I encountered some very pleasant onlookers.
    They were a small herd of cows . . . animals are such friendly creatures in comparison to the morons that weve been discussing ! -:Q)
  • Options
    The trainee morons I know are only moronic when in packs. Individually, most are little kids who cry if they're shouted at. (yes, I teach teenagers)
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    Three of us, out walking alongside the River Severn last year at 2am were followed across a field by a herd of curious (and friendly) bullocks. I was third in line, heard a quiet snort behind me and turned around to see lots of retinas reflected in the beam of my head torch. The only response I could come out with was "oh my goodness", which may have hinted, slightly, at my concern.
  • Options
    Who said "Bring Back The Birch" ? -:Q)

Who said "Bring Back National Service" ? -:Q)

Who Said "Bring Back The Local Bobby" ? -:Q)

I say "Name and Shame" - In a style that does not give them any 'street cred' amongst their peers. Also shaming their parents and their wider family. That ought to evoke a bit of leverage to make the Bas#'rds more responsible for their actionz !!! -:Q)
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Not all heckles are bad. Ones I've had recently:

(from a lad of about 11) "Come on, you WILL finish that marathon!" - rather sweet, really.

(from a bunch of pre-teen kids) "Get those knees up, slaphead!" - sound advice, I suppose.

(from a couple of young teenage girls) "Blimey, look at the tits on that!" - I had to look around but yes, it was directed at me. My man tits aren't that big, humpf.
  • Options
    i was out for a run on Monday night and almost home when,at the bottom of the last hill i could see 10 - 15 "kids"?! hanging around at the edge of the park to my right.

They were shouting,laughing and having a great time until they saw me.... then the silence......

I ran past.... not a word and i started to think i had got away with it until,i was 20 - 30 yards past the group when the following comment came my way........... wait for it.........

where's your mate 118!!!

too which they all burst out laughing!!!! followed by (all at the same time)

run forrest run!!! little b****rds....

must say though.... the 118 comment did have me smiling all the way home!

P.s couldn't think of a put down worthy to reply with.....

sad.p
  • Options
    Chris.52Chris.52 ✭✭✭
    I've been shouted at by a girl who can't have been more than three ("get them legs up"). I suppose their parents encourage them to do it, just as mine encouraged me to wave to engine-drivers to get a wave back. Generally I find teenagers a cheerful lot, happy to run twice as fast as me for 20m or to ask why I'm not out of breath, or on one occasion to challenge me to a race which they duly won.