Options

sub or about 4h30 hopefully

Comments

• Options

Hi Redhead - have a 6 mile race tonight, part of our summer league for local running clubs, not looking forward to it as its not till 7.45pm which is edging towards my bedtime!!!  Have a fell race next Sunday 6.5 miles, not likely to get a PB but will do better than last time I did it, I hope! 

Mark - cyclying round Skipton way - must have been quite hilly.  My fell run is in Ilkley so out towards Skipton.

• Options
    20x 1 min at an average 8:05 pace with 30s recoveries then a 4.2 mile run in 42 mins. Legs killing me now, and pleased to have a couple of days off!!!
  • Options

Well done IJ that is very quick!! I really need to do some speed work over the summer...

Not today though. Half day in work then I'm driving down to North Devon for the Exmoor CTS marathon tomorrow. Going to be a hot one and might turn into a hot half but I'll see how I go on the way round. Looking forward to some lovely scenery followed by some lovely cider!image

• Options

Hi all image Feeling bit sorry for self as someone drove into my car yesterday dinner time image Good news is no major injuries just shaken and bit stiff today but car isn't driveable. Waiting for hire car now image

Good running Scharmimage RH is right this is your time and you deserve it, you've put the work in and now reaping the benefits image Look forward to hearing more results from you.

IJ Its great to hear you're able to get good sessions in now image And improving all the time, well done.

Good luck tomorrow Birdy image As ever I'm sure you'll do yourself proud image

I'm off to support my daughter in the Edinburgh marathon this weekend. Its her first one, she's hoping for about 5hrs but it looks like being a hot one so just to finish will be good. image

Having some enforced rest due to aching image so Bala not looking good at the moment image

Have a great weekend everyone image

• Options
    Oh no relaxed you poor thing. You have a nice rest today and recover.
  • Options

oh no poor you relaxed.  Hope you feel better soon and you are able to do Bala.

Good luck for tomorrow birdy, just enjoy the scenery and don't worry about times etc in this heat.

Going out for run with colleague as work at lunch today, altho they are doing a BBQ out front.  We are really lucky and the office looks out onto a lake.  So not sure yet whats going to win, run round the lake or BBQ in front of itimage

• Options

Relaxed.....take care and rest yourself.

Birdypie.. enjoy..........I just looked on the website and really fancy doing that tomorrow but enteries are closed......

gillymadc.have a quick run around the lake and then they should be all cooked by the time you arrive backimage

IJ some good speed sessions there.i have abandoned speed now for distance...........but last weekend I was suprised that after a 22 miler on the saturday i diod a tough offroad hilly race on the sunday of 10 miles and my legs still worked and knocked off 10 mins from last years really slow time.....

enjoy the lovely weather all for runningimage

• Options

Morning all, Good Luck BirdyRelaxed hope you are ok, enjoy Edinburgh I do hope its not as hot as last year, it was tough but hopefully they will have learnt from their mistakes and have plenty of water available.

I did my 6 miles last night in 49.29 - it was really hilly and really hot and I was very glad to get it over and done with.  Am going down the gorge again tomorrow for a little run seems rude not to when the weather is so good!  IJ well done on your speed sessions, my legs are definately lacking speed at the moment need to get some duracells I think!!!  Gillymac  well did you run of have a sausage!!!! ?

Have a good weekend all.

• Options
    that was some speedy running scharmimage
  • Options

Scharm..........good running and soooo speedy.....well done. enjoy the run in the sun.

Relaxed hope you feeling better after that scare.

Good luck to the racers. Hot here in Derbyshire and sweated profusely plodding in this morning. Though I managed a 7.19mmile this morning but my hamstring is tweaking so will have to back off again from the speedy stuff. Need to get some hills in with the GNR being more hilly than the runs I have done before. Though looking at the video on U tube of it, it looks very tedious and concrete.......wont be entering that one again and I haven't done it yet.........oooopssss.......Country runs for me next. Looking out for some local stuff next. Buxton and Eyam Half Marathons should kill me off with the hills round here.

Have a good weekend folks. Get the barbecue out this might be our summer.

• Options
    SCharm wrote (see)

I did my 6 miles last night in 49.29 ... my legs are definitely lacking speed at the moment ...

you what?!!! with a time like that YOU ARE A SPEED DEMON!!! that'd be a lovely sub 50 10k on the flat!

• Options
    It was gorgeous out today.I hope Birdypie put on lots of suncream as it would be lethal that heat with the seabreeze for the day.........bad enough here.my long run took just over 6 hours.mainly navagational problems...
  • Options

Hi all, Birdy how did you get on?

Lovely running this weekend, got out early on Saturday down into the gorge to run along the river, very tempted to dive in for a swim!!!  Hope it stays like this as we have a lovely run planned for Thursday night.

• Options

morning all

Bit of a strange weekend for me. It was beautiful down in north devon as usual and I set off with the marathon group. Exmoor is a tough old course and I was slightly nervous about the state of the legs. I got to the 10 mile CP which is also the turn back for the half marathon runners. My legs felt just a bit too tired and my knee and foot were sore so I took a hard decision and headed home. I spent the rest of the afternoon at the finish line supporting the other runners. I am a bit disappointed not to have finished the full race but I think it would probably have done more harm than good to the legs at this point. I had a lovely weekend though. It really is a fabulous part of the world!

Endurancelife are doing 10 runs in the series next year and extending the courses to include the Isle of Wight and Anglesea! Unfortunately with my other race commitments I won't be able to make many of them but I do recommend them - pricey but great adventures.

So now its proper rest time for me. Planning a very low impact week this week and then no running at all next week...actually probably no exercise next week. Eeeeeek! image

Hope everyone else enjoyed the sun this weekend. SCharm - how fast?!?!? Brilliant!

• Options

birdypie... very sensible wirth that run and its important to focus on the longer term goals.you have fitted in so much already this year....

I'm wondering how all this long distance training this year will affect my marathon training next year........I'm not sure if i will just get used to running slower or if after running longer distances regulary in training i will find the shorter 16-20 mile runs easier and so improve my marathon times....

• Options

yeah it is interesting question SN - I found last year that when I did go for a slightly quicker run at dartford half it definitely felt more comfortable. I didn't really push it but ended up finishing just outside 2 hours so I think it does pay off. I'm hoping to do some more intensive training over the summer ....but we'll see...I always say that and never quite get round to it!

It was sensible...but I'm still slightly grumpy about it! Not addicted to marathons at all....oh no not me! image

• Options
    btw you doing brecon this year? THought I might try and get along for that
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Blimey it's been soooooo hot! My runs have been very early in the morning and very slow.

IJ, a measly 2lb loss for me. Not surprising really as the regime is not too far removed from my usual diet as I have been juicing for years and always eat loads of fruit and veg.

Birdypie, how very sensible of you my dear. Are you unwell? (tee hee!!!!). What's next then?

SCharm, blimey, you are a speedy girl!

(((Relaxed))) hope you are OK? The after effects sometimes hit you hard later. Take care and I hope it doesn't scupper your plans.
  • Options

Birdypie....... brecon is definitely on my to do list this year.... just got to wait for tem to decide on dates etc.... I'm also doing the JW again...hoping to knock quite a bit off both times as i'm planning on training this yearimage

I'm usually in bed by this time but monday is the night I chose to do a run in the dark as practise for Julyimage

• Options
    Morning all, its winter again up here in the North, might have to put those shorts back in the cupboard and get my gloves and hat back out! 
  • Options

LOL Scharm! Its still warm here in Warrington with the sun going in and out. Very pleasant! image

Thanks for your kind wishes everyone. I am fine. Aching down my right arm and neck but not too bad. Have got a very nice hire car image Not done very much since so Bala will be a definite just get to finish no matter what! image

Anyway <<<<<puts proud mum hat on>>>>>>>>...............My daughter completed her first marathon on sunday in almost 30 degrees!!!!!imageimage Needless to say she was slower than her planned 5hrs, coming in at 5.46 but I have to say just to finish in that heat was incredible image 
    There were lots of casualties and I believe a man died. However I'm not sure of the circumstances as he was the first runner in a relay team and I believe he hadn't got very far. He collapsed and had a heart attack, 52yrs old. Very very sad.
    One young girl collapsed in front of me, all I could do was try and cool her down and sip water while waiting for the ambulance. I cried for her she was way out of it. If she could have stood up I'd have supported her to the finish line to get her medal, she was at mile 24!image But there was no chance.
    Another young lad pulled up and screamed in front of me (must have been something about me!!!) he had bad cramp in his calf. He hobbled to the side and tried to flex it but couldn't so I ended up with his foot on me pushing it up! Then rubbing his calf, then flexing it again for him until he could hobble off!
    I was exhausted!!!!!
    I was so worried for my baby it was a relief to see her arrive at mile 24 and still able to smile! I gave her a cold drink and ended up jogging back with her! Obviously not right to the finish line!  So I'm a very proud mum image

Birdy - Well done image I'm more impressed that you found your sensible head!!!!! image

Scharm -You're flying, brilliant image

• Options

Which marathon was that Relaxed. The white peak one near us in Derbyshire was on Sunday and must have been unbearable with the heat.  Great when the kids come in. This morning my 21 yr old and 18 yr old and OH and I all ran together. Great morning as cooler. My 21yr old did a half two years ago while I was on crutches watching her feeling sad for myself. We did a half last year my OH, and Molly and I. She did well to finish in that heat.

Managed a five in 43 mins this morning.image

• Options

Relaxed, well done to your daughter.  I also go on to the Edinburgh Marathon forum (as a part runner) and it seems to have been yet another horrendous year in terms of the heat, although at least there was water this year unlike last.  Some of the "really good runners" on that forum did not get anywhere near what they were expecting time wise, some of the more experienced ones even having to walk and some with over 90 mins on their usual marathon times.  So to finish at all is a great achievement.

• Options

Mark it was Edinburgh.

Scharm thats interesting. She said that at times she looked around and not one person was running!!!! When I tell her how much slower the "really good runners" were she'll be even more delighted!
    I remembered you saying they ran out of water last year and warned her to keep hold of a bottle! As it was there was plenty but it was so warm it made her feel sick! (She was actually sick 3 times on the way round!!) I bet she enters another in the not too distant future to get that sub 5hrs!!!!! At the moment she wants to get near 2hrs for a half and then dip under 2hrs! Think she might have got the bug!!!!image

• Options

Amazing Relaxed. Big cheer for that girl. My ladies have all got the bugged and daughter no2 just went to the running shop in Sheff and bought new trainers after a spell on the gait machine, she paid £65 and asked me if that was expensive when she got home. Didn't dare tell her how much she will spend if she really gets the bug!!!

Massive difference between a half which I have done in under two to the full marathon, the VLM was a big wake up call to the seriousness of the marathon event and how long it really is. Training helps but the first real race teaches you so much.

• Options

Hi all,

Well done to your daughter Relaxed.  Fab to get around in that heat.  Well done to you too on supporting everyone on the way around, Really feel for that girl, and well done for getting the young lad back on his way.  Sounds like a really emotional day.

Birdy sounds like you made the right decision, best to keep those legs in good condition.  Well done on the half.

Seren seems like you are doing great with all your ultra training.

Scharm speedy you!!

Well we did go for the run around the lake on Friday and had burger at the BBQ on the way back.,  We actually went and asked them to save us some before we set off and got a few laughs from the people around.  Off for a nice healthy run, followed by a big juicy burger when we got back.  We also went around the lake yesterday, which was slightly cooler and therefore a lot more pleasent.  Did runs on two consecutive days this week without too much problems so that is good.  Rest day today.

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Gilly - that all sounds very positive? no twinges? am 100% with you that a burger after a run is the way forward - great motivation!

Relaxed - well done to your daughter and to you for providing an unofficial first aid stop!

Scharm- i remain in awe of your training....

Birdy - ditto! - and are you keeping an eye on the round the britain relay thingie? Looks likely to be August some time for the Greenwich leg- are you around?

all been going ok for me - have hd some killer PT sessions (after lots of dud ones in the winter) so am all rared up and enthusiastic again..... have the british 10k on monday and am hoping for a cool day so i can smash my pb.....

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Relaxed, very well done to your daughter - she did very well in such difficult circumstances. You are allowed to be a proud mum image
  • Options

Hello all!

Just back from my first body combat class. Ouch. Very good for the abs though. Trying to loose afew pounds before I start the mileage build up this summer. Well done to your girl Relaxed - sounds like a massive achievement!

Gladrags I haven't been on that round britain thing for ages. Best take a little look. i am around for bits of august but not all of it. Friend who did the full marathon on saturday still can't walk so I'm increasingly pleased I didn't do the full run. I've really enjoyed the non running training this week and suspect this rest is going to pay off. Legs feeling a bit looser and more flexible. All good!

For the first time this week I have no meetings this morning. What a relief! I'd better get some work done!

• Options

Morning all, your non running training week seems like a good idea Birdy, I think I might try that the week before I start marathon training, again, although there may be races that week!

Off to run round a reservor or two tonight, then supper at the pub.  Might just manage the one as knees sore at the moment and dont want them to get worse for Sunday.  Have ordered joint vitamin stuffs so lets see if that helps.