Options

Giving up the booze

Comments

• Options

Morning all.. no excuse for my long absence!!!  Glad to see your all still here and that new people posting - magic!

Well.. 24th Aug marks 5 years off the booze for me and also the birthday (more or less) of this thread... now that's a huge chunk of time!!!! Cant quite believe it myself

Brought myself a present yesterday - an amber cross.. to celebrate

I've been a busy bee.. been loosingweight and sorting out my running - and had a great summer spent in the main with family and friends.. Sis's 40th this year so we have really kicked the backside out of celebrating it with loads of beach days, picnics and excuses to shop!

Welshman and AAA - I know Bill too.. although from a foodies perspective - interesting that once I stopped drinking I realised I also had a deep rooted problem with food.  

Another facinating fact for me of the last few months is that I have started a run streak - now on day 105 - this means I aim to run a minimum of a mile every single day - you know what it has helped me get grounded so much it's like a miracle... it helps so well with my OA stuff allowing me to keep focused on one day at a time only 

Magic this running melarky is! image

Big hugs to all

xxxx

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Morning all

Well done on getting out at early o'clock WM, I was awake then but only cos of the seagulls screeching!

Wow FRU, 105 days streaking, that's fab going.  Sounds like things going well right now image  What's an amber cross if you don't mind me asking?

SL, apparently we have a fab view of the sea from the roof (Mr C had to remove a gull's nest) but I don't think I'll be taking our chairs up there!!!

• Options

Hi all,

Nice to meet you FRU - Alison (my wife) is a memeber of the same fellowship image ... so she said to say hi! A huge congratulations on the 5 years too - really well done.

People think it's funny that I live so much inland and still see a fair number of gulls when I go birding at a nearby lake. Having said that, there's something special about seeing them on the edge of the shoreline, with the smell of salt in the air. Ooooh - stop it Derek .... you are starting to pine for the sea!!! 

Went for my early morning run this morning with Alison. She said she was only going for a short one, so I told her I fancied playing our game "chase the rabbit", so told her to start 2 mins ahead of me and I would catch her up - to give me a challenge. Well we got to what I thought was half way and when she turned to go home I said I'd play "rabbit" again. So she carried on running towards home while I continued along the trail for another minute or so. When I thought she was two mins ahead I turned and chased after her. Well again I caught her, though by now you can imagine I was really tired. Well, I think part of her wanted to savage me today because when we arrived at our turning home (only 3 mins left) she carried on running for another half a mile! By the time I arrived home I was dead. Oh and just for the purpose - her pace was about 30 secs per mile faster!!!!! Thank G-d tomorrow is a day off.

How is everyone today?

D

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

If you're pining WM I can gladly parcel up a gull or 2 for you??  Can throw in a bit of sand and shell too image

Was having a wee laugh at your game of "chase the rabbit".  Sounds like the "rabbit" was having fun!

• Options

Fun? I think she was laughing her socks of at the fact I was almost hobbling by the end! I'll get her back - we've got a long run on Sunday and I'll make her walk to our coffee shop afterwards .. hee hee!

Anyone doing anything nice this weekend? I'm having a nice relaxing one in preapration for the Festival

D

• Options

Morning folks,

Day off for me today - time to let my body recover ready for the long run tomorrow. Just been watching the marathon - G-d I'd love to be fit enough to run one - maybe one day ... but as I'll never be an elite thankfully it will be one without Berlino the Bear image Dunno about everyone else, but I've loved the athletics, but hated that bear!

I'm off shopping with wife and daughter this afternoon. Off to buy some sleeping bags ready for the festival. Somehow I think I am going to be hit for lunch as well .. lol.

See you all later

D

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

How'd the shopping go WM, did you find your sleeping bags?  Are you camping for the festival?

Just watching the end of the men's marathon now.  I've always wanted to do Berlin.   It was a mara that my dad also had wanted to do so might try and persuade Mr C that we will go for a weekend and I can do it.

Thought it was naughty of the Bear to run round the track when one of the races was on.  His "bolt arms" did slightly amuse me though!

Mr C having to work at the mo but we're hoping to get out with the jogger and Thomas along the seafront when he's finished.

Have  a nice weekend all

** Mara just finished.   Blimey 2.06.54.    Thats only a minute slower than my half mara pb!!!

• Options

Hey gang

Cinders - it's just a normal cross but in amber.. I got one of those troll bead bracelettes last year so added it on there.. I like it but not everyone likes amber.

Welshman - I dont actually go to group anymore as there's not one close enough that fit's in with my day to day life.  I work now from the For Today book and from support of friends - some who're in the group and others who arnt.  I found both AA and OA magical in the tools they provide and live happily in the main with those tools in my bag

Cannot get verticle today!!  Lazy bones!!

xxx

• Options

I was in the same boat. I took up bodybuilding and have never touched a drink since as diet is so important. its hard at first, but as soon as you see the difference and muscle pack on, it drives you forward.

Just promise yourself that you will carry on until you see the benefits. As soon as you do it will motivate you so much.

Stop telling yourself you cant, and start telling yourself you can !

• Options

Morning all,

About 30 mins before my long run and I'm still sleepy!

Yes, Cinders I managed to get the bags - and you were right, it will be for the festival. Now all we need is decent weather. The forecast doesn't look too bad, so here's hoping.

It looks lovely out there today, so the run should be nice - not too hot if I can drag Alison out from her sack. I'll write later when I'm back.

btw - nice to meet you Lee

• Options

Well 6 miles, but the pace was slow. Still it's 6 miles more than I was doing a few weeks ago and now I have lost 2 stone!!!!!! Yippeeeeeeeeeee.

Physically I feel like an absolute wreck, but the good news is that the problem with the ball of my foot seems to be largely gone today. I've just promised to take Alison to the village restaurant for our regular Sunday coffee - anyone able to send me a wheelchair so I can get there?

D

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Probably bit late but sending over a virtual wheelchair for you WM.  Well done on the 6 miles, that's fabtastic and the weight loss too imageimageimage

Did a 3 mile plod with Mr C and mini C in the jogger this am and then spent the pm on the boat.  I'm now sat here with a very rosy face from the sun and a pack of frozen peas on my knee as I was chasing Thomas round the living room and munch my knee, bit silly really but very ouch!

Hope everyone has had a nice weekend.

• Options

Well somehow or other I managed to get out for a 3-miler yesterday and I am supposed to be joining Alison for a run later this morning, though G-d knows how my legs will get me round. I feel soooo tired.

Really getting excited about the festival now - it's almost here and I break from work late today. All we need is for the weather to hold.

D

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed for the weather for you WM, how long is the festival on for? 
  • Options

The festival itself starts on Friday and ends monday, but as I'm in charge of merchandising, I'll have to be there from Thurs till Tuesday.

I've been so naughty tonight - had a Chinese takeaway. Think I might need to run 2 - 3 marathons tomorrow just to stop any weight gain. I couldn't run now if you put a gun to my head.

I hope everyone else is being healthier than me!

D

• Options
    SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

AAARgh, just done it again, nice long post then accidentally pressed back and lost it all image.

I just said huge congratulations to FRU, 5 years and 105 days running - you're one amazing gal image

Also huge congrats to WM, 6 miles and 2 stone - fantastic image  That chinese wont make an ounce of difference now that you're a runner, so long as you don't follow it up with an indian and a kebab. image  Have you decided which 10k race you're going to do?

Sounded like an idyllic weekend Cinders, running along the seafront then bobbing about in a boat image, I'm a teeny bit envious.

My weekend wasn't a huge success.  Drunk too much friday night so huge hangover saturday morning.  Still managed to get up for an 8am swim though - did 50 lengths so quite chuffed with that.

Saturday a group of us had lunch at a country pub so I had a few more - didn't really overdo it but was still a bit wobbly sunday so no running.

Sunday we all got together for a bbq, I offered to drive - so glad I did that, 4 blokes got through about 80 500ml cans of lager.  A couple of them even went onto the vodka - Jeez what a mess they were.  The next morning hubby looked like his face was inside out - I was as fresh as a daisy image

I've got my running kit out and put it by the bathroom for tomorrow morning, the plan is to get up when the alarm goes off and just do it - probably only a couple of miles but thats better than none.  Can you send me some telepathic vibes to get me out of bed in the morning please.

Nite nite all, I'll let you know tomorrow if I make it!

Dx

• Options
    SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

I actually did it - trawled myself out of bed and was dragged around the streets and field for 2 1/2 miles by 2 greyhounds imageimageimage

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be by my legs were aching by the end, and I did have to walk a little bit.  Time wise it was very very slow, most people can walk faster but I don't care about that right now, I just needed to break the curse and get out there.  Why is getting out of the door the hardest part??? image

FRU, I can't believe we've been chatting on and off for almost 5 years - it's a little bit embarrasing to think that i've not progressed much in all that time - in fact I think I've gone backwards on many occasions image.  It's my 50th in March and I'm determined to start my 5th decade sober - or at least not in a haze with a thumping hangover.

I't's my daughters 19th Sunday and hubby's 50th bank holiday monday - theres no chance he'll be sober, especially as he's on holiday for the rest of the week, that'll be his excuse to get slaughtered as he hasn't got to get up for work image.

Have a good day everyone.

Dx

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Well done on getting out this morning SL, greyhounds sound like they gave you a good run image

Can't stay long, little man not too good today, crying lots but no apparent reason, probably more teeth.

Speak soon.

• Options
    SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Just given blood, we have a mobile unit come to our work - so now I'm really really tired and a bit wobbly legged!  It'll pass in a few hours but for now it's just a case of relaxing and not doing anything strenuous image.

My new job is sorted, still complicated by sorted image.  Starting 7th September I'll be doing my current job on  Monday & friday and my new post tues, weds 7 thursdays for four weeks, after that it's totally my new job.  But - I still don't know if the 12 month assignment starts on the 7th or after the 4 weeks, the managers can sort that out.  I can't wait to start it and get out of this office - I feel like I've got cabin fever image.

Hope Thomas is letting you get some peace Cinders image.

Must dash

Dx

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Crikey that sounds complicated SL, you won't know whether you're coming or going!

Good old calpol came to the rescue, he's calmed down a bit now.  Still puzzled by what it is but hope it passes soon.  Mr C is now coughing and sneezing away upstairs so I'm going to quarantine both of them at this rate.... or move out for a few days ha ha!

Would like to give blood myself but I'm very queasy round needles, not phobic but I have fainted at the sight of one before!  I'm on the bone marrow register so not sure how I'd get round that if I got selected to donate!

• Options
    SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

I don't like needles either and I'm a bit of a wimp when they actually put it in - I always go ouch whether it hurts or not.  I always try to do it cos I'm o'negative and they can give my blood to anyone in an emergency.  it's the only one they can use like that, any others that wern't  your blood type would kill you!  It's always in short supply cos there aren't too many of us but I get christmas cards from them for my efforts image.

Just stick Mr C up of the roof, lots of fresh air and a nice view image.  Hope the calpol does the trick for Thomas.

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Lol SL, fab idea re Mr C, he's been banging on about it being a good view on the roof, he can spend the night there!

Bit windy down here now, been a lovely day other than that.  My mum in Rugby says they've had the tail end of Hurricane Charlie up there today!

• Options

Morning all...

Sunluver - I think  your attitude is great and I have to disagree in that I thikn you have made small changes that are like foundation work.. and dont forget prior to my starting my 5 years was probably another 5 years of procrastinating!!!  It's a funny thing for me now.. I do feel like I am missing out at times and then again I dont think about it at all.   I'm living an entirely different life now and being single means I dont have the pressure to go places or do things a partner wants to do.. hopefully that will change!!!!  One day... please someone... anyone - LOL!!! Hee hee... someone'll have me one day - I'm wearing ok for my age - a bit knocked and chipped and cover is a getting a bit tatty LOL!!!  

So I guess Welsh's off to the Festival today - have a grand ol time!!!  The chinese wont make a difference as long as you keep it to just that one thing like Sunluver said.. I actually go mad on Thursday  nights and allow myself whatever I want - is good for my eating plan and good for me as I am so so hungry by thrusday's I need a decent feed up ready for longer runs at the weekend

Cinders the seaside an boat sounds brilliant!!!  Hope your knee's ok!

Hi to everyone else.. and hope your all doing ok

• Options

Not gone yet! Daughter has 2 GCSE results today so waiting patiently and then off and away.

Went for a 4 miler today - went well. Seems my indulgences with the Chinese didn't affect my weight! Good news.

OK - off to play musicians. Have a great weekend all.

D

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Hope your daughter's results were good WM.  Have a fab weekend.

Hi Fru, great to hear from you.

Still got a poorly wee lamb, he's zonked out on the sofa, never done that before so guess he's verrry tired.

Went down the job centre today to ask about registering as unemployed following my redundancy.  I got bulldozed into job seekers allowance and agreement.  I only wanted to register so that if I did a college course (which I'm thinking of) then I'd maybe get a concession but now forced to sign on and actively look for a job, full time too!  Going to have to sign back off as I don't want full time work just yet with Thomas! 

• Options
    Hello everyone

Just popping in to say hi and to see if all of your good running and motivation rubs off on me! I've decided to enter the Ely NYE race we talked about a while back and start working towards it but I'm currently fat and lazy and running a mile will be a challenge!

FRU - great to hear from you and to hear how wonderfully well you are doing. Is your running everyday anything to do with Murakami's 'What I Talk About...' book - it's just that I'm reading it now and running everyday is an approach that he talks about. It's a very inspirational book. Oh, and when are we going to meet for that coffee??

Welshman - I'm probably too late to catch you but have a great festival! Can't wait to hear about it when you return. I have to say the 6 miler and the 2 stone of weight loss is incredibly impressive - you are inspiring me to do something about my lethargy!

Sunluvva - sounds like a bit of an epic weekend coming up - I hope you survive the celebrations relatively unscathed and get some running in!

Cinders - I hope the little fella and Mr C are feeling a bit better today. I also hope your knee is better and you can keep the running up.

I hope everyone else is well - it's always lovely to hear how everyone is doing here!

I've been snowed under with work and will be for another couple of months - then I plan to ease up and focus more on other things for a while. I must begin with learning how to run again...and soon!
  • Options
    SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Hi Apps, great to hear from you - What's that book about, I've not heard of it?  Entering a race is great for motivation, I've been looking for a local (ish) 10k but can't find any in september.

You've probably already left for Shrewsbury but enjoy the weekend anyhow.  Keep playing those tin whistles image.  Hope the GCSE results were good too.

Hubby has said that he dosen't want to be slaughtered all weekend image.  No doubt he'll have a few sunday.  It really all depends on whether his mates are around Monday or not.  His usual partner in crime is thinking of going to cornwall monday and if he's not around hubby won't get into a big session.

I might try to persuede him to not drink for a month while he's in this mood - I won't hold my breath though.

Cinders, there used to be a way that you could sign on but not have benefits, just to ensure you got your NI paid at the right rate.  I can't remember what it was called, probably changed the name anyway but it's worth asking again.  Fingers crossed 'the boys' are feeling better tomorrow, it's forecast to be a fabulous weekend.

I'm sure you're not tatty and chipped FRU image.  I'm getting a couple of crinkles in my outer packaging but in general I'm wearing ok too for an almost semi-centurian!

I didn't go for a run today as I was still tired from giving blood, but I've already got my kit ready for 6am tomorrow morning - I will get up and do it - I've so much weight to lose and running seems to be the best way for me to get rid of it.  3 miles tomorrow

Dx

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

SL, that's partly the reason I wanted to register as I'd googled it and found it would affect my pension if I didn't and also if I did want to use their resources to find a job I'd have to register.  I just don't want the js benefit or the stress of being forced into work.  She already tried to get me to apply for a full time position as Personal Banker with Barclays in Canterbury which is a job I know nothing about and easily an hour's journey each way!  They seem very desparate!

Good luck for getting out tomorrow morning, will send over positive vibes.

Apps, always lovely to hear from you.  Well done on entering Ely, something good to aim for image

I'm all on my tod tonight in a very odd situation.  Mr C called back to work (upstairs), the racing game he works on goes out tomorrow and it has "bugs".   But the odd thing is that my mum and her partner are down tonight, arrived an hour ago, just in time to see Thomas put to bed then gone out to the pub for a meal despite me having food in the oven for Mr C and I.  Tres odd!!!

• Options
    SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Tres odd indeed Cinders.  I suppose mum & co icoming to visit you is a bit like a holiday for them and they want to treat it like that - either that or they think your'e a rubbish cook image.

I'm still wanting to get out in the morning despite a visit to the pub for a leaving do for some of hubby's colleagues.  I only had 2 glasses there but i've had another 2 small ones at home.  I'll just have to make myself get up even though I won't want to.  The kit is still there outside the bathroom door - I can't miss it every time I go upstairs.  I have to do it....................................

Enjoy the peace while you can Cinders.

Dx

• Options
    SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Managed to get up and do 3 miles today - me and the dogs are knackered!  Still very slow but thats to be expected and I didn't help myself by giving blood and having 4 glassses of vino, both things will slow you up a bit!

FRU, what's your new picture of- I can't see it even with my glasses on image