Options

Giving up the booze

Comments

• Options

Morning all.

Just want to wish you all a nice week.  Currently trying to pack and not convinced its all going to fit in the car!  The littlest person has the most stuff I think! image

See you all soon x

• Options

Have a lovely break Cinders, make sure you don't do too much.  Mr C is quite capable of looking after buttons while you get some quality 'me' time.

Well done WM on the run and the weight loss, I must start doing what you're doing and get rid of this flab.

Hope everyone is well this week, chat soon, Dx

• Options

Anyone know why an innocent thread about Run in England would be deleted?

D

• Options

hi WM, try giving it another title, some people might think you're trying to drum up business for something personal.  What were you saying about it?

Dx

ps, 1st day of new job was great - I'll elaborate later.

• Options

It wasn't my thread. It was a discussion about the merits or not of the Run in England campaign by England Athletics.

• Options

"Oooooh", says Sass, sensing politics!

Anyway, hi all; still here!  Keep having dreams that I've gone back to drinking, and wake up in a cold sweat.  No temptation to do so in 'awakeland' though.

Hope everyone's doing okay.

Sass xx 

• Options

Morning all,

Don't worry about the dreams Sass, they are very, very normal. In fact I wish had 10p for every time I've heard of it. Let's face it, booze was once a big part of our lives, so why should it come to an end when we are asleep? As you move further away from alcohol you will find the dreams decline.

Went out for a run with Alison today, but her hip started to twinge again (it was really painful following a run on Sunday, but she iced it and it seemed OK yesterday). By the time she was home the pain had localised to her knee. So now she's home icing it and I missed my run. Still, I'll try and get out this evening, so all is not lost.

Off to a conference tomorrow in Manchester on Thursday and Friday, so a chance to escape from the office. Whoppeeeeeeee!

Everyone well?

• Options

Hi all from sunny Butlins, having a nice time.

Hope everyone is ok image

• Options

Hi folks,

Just back from an evening run- made a nice change. Lots of very large people walking, but not many runners. Funny thing was that on my return my neighbour was just returning home after her run - neither of us knew that the other one was a runner!!!

Beautiful day for you today Cinders - bet you had a ball in Butlin. Do the redcoats "jolly you along" when you go for a run? 

I once took my kids to a holiday park - all went well until Twitch tried to seduce Sally the Pig!!!!

D

• Options

Hey folks,

Everybody must be enjoying the sunshine. I'm back from sunny downtown manchester - thank G-d I don't live there. I guess if you like inner cities it's probably great, but I'm intrinsically a country boy at heart.

Well, went out for my run last night and managed 3.4 miles in 35 mins - my fastest time yet.To celebrate I went out an bought myself a pair of running tights ready for those autumn nights. I tried them on when I got home - there is NO WAY I am wearing those in public!!!! They show all of my bits!! I'll heave to wear a pair of running shorts with them, or a very long t-shirt. If I wear those on the street some bobby will nick on an indecency charge .. lol. Alison said she quite liked them though ... whoopeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Not sure if I should run tonight, I decided to have a long stroll around Manchester this pm and now my legs are quite tired. Think I'll rest up for a couple of hours and see how I feel.

How's the holiday been Cinders - eaten too much ice cream?

How's the new job going SL? Enjoying it?

Hope have you been HopeTo - not seen you in a while.

What about the rest of you - keeping well?

D

• Options

Hi WM, it is a bit quiet on here isn't it.

The new job's going good, it's everything my old job isn't.  Shame I've still gotta do 2 days a week in the old job but it's only for 3 more weeks then it's all systems go.  It's been a bit hard to get organised this week, gotta get used to leaving a bit earlier so making sure I've time to get some lunch ready or I'll end up having to buy something ready made which I hate.

Not managed any running cos I've been knackered every day image.  Need to sort myself out and get organised.

Hope everyones geared up for a good weekend

Dx

• Options

Yeah for Friday!

WM - thats a speedy time, well done.  Running tights are a cruel, cruel item.

SL - glad the job is going well.  Hows the packing?

Ran for 4 miles on Wednesday.  Will have to attempt at least 7 on Sunday.

Wedding aniversary tomorrow -   17 years.  We're off to a party (not ours) tomorrow night, and then out for lunch on Sunday as a family.

Cinders - hope you and buttons are still having a great holiday.

Hi to everyone else

• Options

Hi Guys,

Thought you might like to see some before and after running pics. The one of me in red is before I started running and the other one was taken recently at the festival.

This is Big me....

http://tinypic.com/r/nla1l1/3

and this is Little me ....

http://tinypic.com/r/zmfsjl/3

D

• Options

Jeez Welshman, you're half the man you used to be image.  Humungus congratulations to you.  If I ever manage to be half the woman I am I'll be brave enough then to post the before and after pictures.  might be a long wait!

Hi HTF - Yea! to the weekend too.  Packing's doing just fine.  I made some phone calls last week and managed to get the housing man round to do his visit but the people we're exchanging with have only just managed to get in contact with the housing man today - he's been awol for a fortnight, she hopes that he'll visit next week.  After that they have to do gas and electric checks then we can set a date to sign the tenancy agreements and it'll be all go.

Congrats too on your aniversary, hope you have fun celebrating with friends and family.

How's Skeggy Cinders - is buttons loving it - or does he scream when one of the big furry animals starts leaping about near him - whoever thought that little kids would love giant sized bears/monkeys/people etc dressed up in silly clothes with big hats on - Santa Claus often has the same effect image.

Have a fab weekend all.

Dx

• Options

Welshman  - Flippin Heck, what a change, no wonder you can run fast!  Inspirational stuff.  Now if SL and I could just have some of that will-power................

SL - glad things are moving in the right direction with the house.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Attempting an 8 mile run tomorrow.  I remember when not that long ago, I considered that to be short.  Ho Hum!

SL - you running today or tomorro?.  I think you shouldimage

• Options
    Hello

Welshman - you are looking in top shape and it's no wonder with how much effort you're putting in...keep up the good work!

Sunluvva - glad to hear you're enjoying the new job - it all seems to be moving in the right direction.

Cinders - I hope you've had a great time away with the family.

HTF - good luck with the run tomorrow - it's hard work when you compare yourself with how you were at your best but I guess, for many of us, the goal is to get back there. Our friend Welshman is showing us the way!

I've had a fairly tough couple of weeks. After we lost one of our cats (Oscar) the other one who was unwell (Annie) was making good progress but she declined rapidly and was put to sleep on Wednesday evening. They were both quite old but losing two of our little friends in a week has been extra tough.

I did get out this morning for my first run since early summer - it was only 20 minutes but it was across the beach so it was tough. I realise now what a long way I have to go to get in any kind of shape.

I hope you're all enjoying the weekend - it's a beautiful day here.
  • Options

Good luck tomorrow Hopeto, I'm only going for a 6 miler (assuming my knee holds).

Sorry to hear about your sad news apparition - pets become part of our lives and there's not really anything we can say to take away your sadness. Hope you all find some happier times very soon. Well done on the run though - a great return.

What a glorious day!

D

• Options

Apps - hugs to you.  Keep posting and let us know how your running improves, which it will!

Just back from a party.  I had, had enough.  People semi-drunk, talking rot, and whilst I would have been one of them in the past, I really cant handle it anymore.

Husband slacked off we've come home early.  Apparently we should be there until at least 1am.  The fact that I said I need to run tomorrow is irrelevant.

Fairly slacked off mood.  He came home saying the  next party was at ours. Shoot me now.

• Options

Hi guys

apps, so sorry to hear about you losing Annie too. It's got to be tough to lose two of your old friends in such a short time, but I'm sure they lived lovely lives with you. And well done for getting out there running.

I spent quite a bit of the working week around the Broads and said to a colleague how lucky were the people who took their holidays the week the schools went back - and then I thought of Cinders!  I hope you've all had a lovely week at Skeggy, although I know the wind off the North Sea can be keen.

The incredible shrinking Welshman - well done, Sir!  I hope the 6 miler went well. I enjoy reading of your exploits, so let us know how you got on.  As for dreams about boozing (hi Sass!), I still get them occasionally, and they are scary, but it's always a huge relief to wake up and realise they are just dreams.

Sunluvva, glad the new job's going well - I'm sure you'll soon settle into the new routine.

HTF, belated happy anniversary.  Sorry you didn't enjoy the party and hope you can get out of having one at yours. I often think that it's easier to give up or control the booze when you're single - after all the only pressure on me to drink or not to drink is from myself.

I didn't run this morning although I could've done.  TBH with the concert next Saturday I'm a bit paranoid about doing anything to knacker my throat or respiratory system, and I tend to wrap myself in cotton wool a bit before a sing.  Plus I'm a bear of very little brain and find it hard to concentrate on more than one thing at a time. Oh, plus work of course.

Hi to FRU, other old friends and any lurkers out there. Hope the weekend's treating you well.

• Options

Greetings chums,

Well managed about 6.5 miles today in a fairly reasonable time. The main thing is that my knee held out, although I confess to still using the elastic bandage. Tonight the legs still feel quite tired, but no real aches and pains. Not sure if I'm going to be up to an early morning run tomorrow - I hope so.

Twitch is elated because I have a fairly large collection of shirts and now a significant number are too big for me. As a result he has acquired a number of rather "trendy" shirts that I have hardly worn. I told him the price was mowing the lawn for me ... but as yet nothing has happened. I'm seriously considering impaling him on a rusty park railing.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

D

• Options

Afternoon all, just got home, will read back more later when have a bit more time!

((( Apps and Mrs Apps)))  Sorry to hear that you lost 2 friends so quickly.

Fab pic WM, that's quite some transformation! image

HTF, didn't sound much of a fun party!

SL, great that the new job is going great, sounds just what you needed.

Holiday was brill, Thomas loved the tots disco each night with "pop and crisps", ie lemonade and some wotsits, we don't tend to have crisps much at home so was a nice holiday treat!  Did manage 2 runs and 3 swims but ate too much and drank too much so not look forward to stepping on the scales tomorrow.  Glad I don't have speak your weight scales ha ha!

• Options

Evening all, hope everyone is ok.

Mr C been in Sweden for 2 days on a work's thingy so been in on my tod, I swear the house creaks more when he's not here and its blowing a hooley in the garden!

• Options

Hiya Folks

Working from home today , meant I got an hour lie in image

Just had a read back.

Apps, so sorry to hear about suzy cat too, that's gotta be really tough to handle as our pets really are part of the family.

HTF, maybe it's worth another party if your mum comes and cleans up again image.   Good to hear you got through the other party unscathed.  It really is boring being the only sober person in the room, people talk absolute cr@p when they're sozzled.

Hi Yeo, good luck with the concert.

Cinders, glad buttons liked butlins - I bet this happened at least once. - you always get the toddlers bobbing about on the dance floor before the main act comes on - it's a universal thing, then usually poor mummy has to go and dance with the nipper - usually the only adult on the dance floor - watched by all the other people supping booze whilst waiting for the entertainment to start.  Soon as mummy tries to escape and take nipper with her the kiddy starts wailing at the top of its voice drawing even more attention to embarrased mummy. etc.  Does that sound familiar??

embarassed to say I've had about a bottle of wine everyday this week and havent' run once image.  I am sitting here in my running kit though, I've told myself I'll go for a stagger once I've finished my work.  Hopefully I'll actually do it this time - I'm running out of excuses - it's not too hot, it's not too cold, it's not raining, I ate something carby for lunch, only had tea and water to drink ....................... I could go on.  Why am I finding it so difficult to get out of the door - probably cos I'm so fat and unfit I know it'll be tough and I'm really disappointed with myself for getting like this.   Beachy Head will need a miracle - even just to walk it!

• Options

*Slaps SL round the face with a wet fish*    

I will see you at the start line at Beachy.  Im counting on you getting your ar$e there.

Come on girl we can SO do this!

• Options

Yeah for Friday.  Just got to get to 3.30 and its the weekend.

Hugs to SL.  I think we all dip in and out of where your at right now.  

I ran 5 miles on Wednesday and counted that still as a long run.  Only another 21 miles and Id have finished.  Making myself do 10 on Sunday, and hoping my left knee holds out.

Hope you made it out the door.  Just go intending to walk and see if you can sprinkle a little bit of running in there.

Has the final paper work been done for the house swop yet?

Hi to everyone else,  wishing everyone a great day.

• Options

Hi SL and HTF

Lol SL, that did sound familiar but not in  Buttons case, he wouldn't stay on the dance floor with all the others, just wanted to run round and round the whole room.  Least it wore him out image

Not much plodding here either so maybe I'll take your advice too HTF and just try a walk with a sprinkle of running.  Mr C taking Buttons out for the day tomorrow so I'll have a whole day to have a go!

• Options

Hiya all

Ouch HTF - that hurt !!!!!  No I didn't get out of the door last night or this morning.  Didn't have anything to drink either, just got cauht up in other things last night and didn't want to wake up this morning.  I'm eating a nice healthy tuna pasta salad for lunch and really do plan to go out this evening.  Maybe I'll walk/run for an hour and see how far I can get.  I reckon if Eddie Izard can do 43 marathons with 5 weeks training we can do one  image

Cinders - Buttons will progress to the dancing phase, but being a boy he'll also do the zooming around like an aeroplane then sliding across the floor on his knees bit too - have you seen Peter Kay do it in his shows - really funny image

House swap is moving on very slowly, the other peoples housing man has been off so they haven't had thier visit yet, it's booked for next Tuesday - probably only cos we both phoned up and complained about the delay.  It should have been completed by now.  After Tuesday the gas & electric has to be checked then it's all systems go.

Where's Welshman got to - I miss his stories, he always makes me laugh .

Best do some work now.

Take care all, Dx

• Options

Just a very quick quickie - I've just staggered 4 miles - painfully slow, lots of walking uphill but I did it image.  Doggies are knackered, I've gotta get hubby from the pub now, maybe I'll have a pint of water while I'm there image.

Chat later, Dx

• Options
  • Options

WooooHoooo .. go for it SL. Well done.

Sorry for the delay in posting over the last few days. It's been a blend of having lots on at work and preparing for Throb's birthday party. Well it happened and we fed him cake, crisps, pzza and pop! Now you might think that's nice ... just the sort of thing that "weeny" Cinders might appreciate .... but Throb is 22!! There's nothing worse than watching a 22yr old with Jammy Dodger crumbs on their beard - trust me.

Even worse wasthe fact that Twitch, Pulse and Spasm joined in ... they were just as bad! Twitch was collecting iced muffin cake cases on his plate and proudly announced at the end that he'd eaten 14 of them. 5 kids needed 36 iced muffins, 3 14" pizzas, 2 kilos of oven chips, 3 packets of Doritos, 2 large tubs of dip, 12 chocolate marshmallows, 24 jammy dodgers, 6 bread rolls, a bowl of salad and 4 litres of Dr Pepper.Oh - and a birthday cake.

No need to worry about whether I ate all "wrong things" - I never got a look in.

Tell me I shouldn't be frightened!!!!!

D