Options

Focused Training - RW [Forum]

Comments

• Options
    Hey there(been lurking)
    Poole is my hometown in the UK and you can click on the Poole 10k link on this web page:)
    http://www.dorset-athletics.freeserve.co.uk/
  • Options
    Thanks Hilly and Tiny Tia. 5th June is within a week of Broad Oak...I'm not too sure.

Tim, seems like you could be nearer my speed than Haile Gebrsellaissie's ha ha ha ha doesn't that make you feel good :o) Seriously though, I am fascinated how it becomes so tight at your level. Maybe I'm being naive, but surely you can squeeze out those extra few seconds???

My leg is making (very) slow progress, only left with a tiny bit of aching when I hop. I'll leave it another week and then I might try doing a bit of waddling on the treadmill, good job I can do it in privacy 'cos I'd be too embarrassed to do that in public! It's not so bad being a splodgy couch potato :o)
  • Options
    JennyD - why not follow up HBO 10K with the Harvel 5? - another Kent race with a great reputation. We did the 10K (mon) and the 5M (sat) back to back last year and it worked well - just stick to easy running betwen them.
  • Options
    I could do with some practice pacing by miles, the only 5 miler I've done (Deal) I b*llsed it up. Actually, I blame a couple of you on here because I was advised to go off fast :o) Well, bound to be a pb then!

I see it's multiterrain and undulating. As bad as Mote Park? What the heck, as it's local - it'll be a laugh.

Pantman, you're Maidstone Harriers, aren't you? I shall look out for those revolting green vests then :o)
  • Options
    Jenny, wait a few more years & your'll know why!
    Actually I'm 10min quicker than you but Haile's only 7min quicker than me.

Pantman back to back racing is one day after the other surely, or like I've done 1/2 marathon in the morning & won a 5000m on the track in the afternoon, but I'm not telling you the times ;-)
  • Options
    Were they downhill as well?:-))
  • Options
    oh & at least 500m short ;-)
  • Options
    But it didn't matter cos he was only "jogging round" for training... ;-)
  • Options
    Ohhh I think it's let's pick on Tim time!

Actually...if you're 35 min 10k (and you're not...yet :o)) your average speed is 17.1kph, 45 min 10k (and I'm faster than that) average speed 13.4kph and Haile's 26 min 10k is 23 kph. I was talking about speed.

Game, set and match :oD
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Pantman, how are you feeling today, I gather you had a great result with your 10 mile race yesterday, 7th I think it was, but that you had been feeling grot all week and wasn't feeling too wonderful yesterday. Congrats, you pulled all the stops out when you had to.

Hope you are not feeling worse today as a result of:-))
  • Options
    Ceal - thnaks for asking. No worse today health wise - but no better. Yet to try and run though...
  • Options
    Thought I would post on this thread for the first time! :)

Well done once again Pantman, so your still a little under the weather?

I guess it may take a little longer for you to fully shake the bug you have, but as you say, if you can do 57mins not being 100%, then a 55min is easily within your reach! You need a flat coure mind, away from the coast, where wind cannot effect the outcome.

As for me, feel fine today, in fact like I never even raced yesterday, I did my usual 6m slow, will go slow this afternoon as is on my schedule, spoke with my coach last night and will be trying something a little different in the build up to the Southerns XC!

Are you down the Harriers on weds night?
  • Options
    How many of you here are Maidstone Harriers? Is there a bit of talent in Maidstone then? I thought this place was all fat chip bellies.
  • Options
    Micksta, whats this something different?

If your joining this thread it all about sharing & not having secrets!

:-)
  • Options
    JENNYD:

Yeah there is a few guys in Maidstone with Talent!!! ;p

Im second caim with the Harriers, PANTMAN has called me a Judis for defecting to my new club!

BIG-TIM:
    Secrets, what are they then? ;)

• Options
    boing! been catching up on this thread. up to october so far
  • Options
    Hey, how can all you lot let this thread sink into obscurity?

Well, attempting to resurrect it now!!!

Where I'm at then: I've now recovered from my stress fracture and trying to regain fitness. Been 2 1/2 weeks and I'm getting impatient! I was told I'd have it all back within 2 weeks!

My leg still isn't getting on with the treadmill so I've only been doing steady runs on the road up to 15k. Problem is, the steady runs aren't getting any faster and I reckon I'm still about 30 secs/mile slower than I used to be.

I know if I went back on the treadmill pushing the speed up say, 0.2kph each time and killing myself, I'd do it. Probably within a couple of weeks. But I can see you all looking at me disapprovingly!

Well, off skiing next week :oD and hopefully when I get back mid March, the leg and treadmill will have patched up their differences.

Hope everyone's well :o)
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Have a great holiday skiing JennyD, lots of snow/good food/wine and the rest from running etc!
  • Options
    Ta Ceal! I've just looked up the snow report for Trois Vallees and it's -15 degrees - Yikes!!!!
  • Options
    i agree jenny, don't let this disappear - i found it a few weeks back and am reading through. just got to the issue of sleep - i def don't get enough but can't comprehend how anyone can get to bed at 10pm - that's disciplined. anyway it's like a novel and i'm back in november but will catch up honest - just don't spoil the ending for me - doh just seen you got a stress fracture!
  • Options
    Jenny, give it time & it will return, the wind in Kent has really strong these last few weeks & cold.
    All that makes running faster all the more difficult.
    Enjoy the "real" snow, I'm off to the sun myself :-)
  • Options
    ebenezer, I agree how can anybody wait until 10pm to get to bed ;-)
  • Options
    Hi ebenezer, I don't think we've met :o)

We're getting 5am ferry so that means getting up at 2(ish), even though we're only 45 mins from Dover, I'm dreading it! Have to try going to bed at 8pm, ha ha. Running would knock me out, but for too long!

Where are you off to Tim? I can't remember what warm weather running is like!

I wonder what running on a treadmill at altitude is like ;o) Depressing, I guess.
  • Options
    Lanzarote, with 107 Serpies so should have somebody to train with :-)
    Not my favourite choice of destination but it fitted in nicely with my massage course.
    I've not had a Holiday in nearly a year so looking forward to it.
    I'm planning to stick some hard training in whilst there then recover back in the UK, that way making the most of some sun ;-)
  • Options
    Have a good time! I quite like Lanzarote, v. windy though! Have you been there before? Timanfaya is so stunning and one of my favourite places on earth, so surreal.

How's the massage course going?
  • Options
    15 years ago, sounds a hell of a long time ago, both trips will be to Club la Santa, I remember the winds well :-(
    Not a patch on South Africa where I've been the last two winters :-)

Massage course is going well, I'm planning to get some practise done in Lanzarote, & some reading. This is one of the reason's for going!

Somebody asked me the other day if I was planning to train on holiday!
    They clearly don't know runners ;-)
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, sorry to join this thread after the topic of conversation has moved on – its not that I don’t pay attention, its just that I was out running again.

Any way, on the subject of race times you may be interested in knowing that the 2003 Law to Motherwell 10 mile road race was won in a time of 48:25 with 36 runners finishing inside 60:00 mins.

The race is run in commemoration of Tom Scott, a local runner, who died in tragic circumstances. The race covers the training route he took from his home in Law to the factory where he worked in Motherwell – a downhill route. One assumes that he used to run home uphill as well.

As a result of the usual issues of road traffic and policing, the race is now run in the confines of Strathclyde and Hamilton Palace Parks. The first running of the new route took place in 2004, with the result that the race was won in 52:12 with only 11 runners breaking 60:00 mins.

I would seem that some PBs may not be worth the courses they’re run on. Anyone got any suggestions of how we can evaluate our performances. I used to take comfort in the Vets age adjustments, but like the above, they're not worth the paper they’re written on either. And as for the idea of virtual performances recently proposed on the daily training tread. Well really………………
  • Options
    Yes, it's not easy to compare road race times with other road race times.
    I guess thats why they used to be world best's, rather than world records.

Having been out & measured road races with a qualified course marker, I know it's very unlikely any of us are running under distance.
    When they measure, they really do take the shortest line, they will ride on the opposite side, into oncoming traffic, so we get to race whatever distance +

So this leaves the question of downhill races, I'm not sure what the rules are here but the FLM gets away with it's down hill route, although you do start by running uphill.
    The Lisbon 1/2 doesn't count as it's point - point & downhill.
    So it's hard for us to know whether our local road races are for PB purposes!!!

So it comes down to the individual I guess.

I would not use a race that is point - point & downhill as my PB!

Having said that
    My 10K PB is 33:34 but on an undulating course & down hill finish, I've also run 33:42 on the pancake flat Cardiff 10K.
    So I'm happy to call my Ashford 10K a PB, the same course Charlotte Dale has just race in 32:14! to go into the top 5 UK womens times.
    My 10M PB is 56:00 on a flat course, but I've also run 56:01 & 56:03, of those three performances the 56:03 is the better time as it's a hilly course!

My 20M PB is 2:00:12 in the Spen 20M, which has a difficulty rating by the BARR of 3min brining it down to 1:57:12, but thats not my PB!
    And those 12sec hurt!!!

My marathon PB is 2:47 but my 2:49 in Madrid is still a better race effort as it's hilly & at altitude [800m]

Virtual racing would give me a 2:36 marathon, but I've to prove it to myself in real time & effort.
    One of my best performances came in training :-)
    Dropping MikeG on a training run in Davos, he went very quite afterwards :-)

Only can only cheat yourselves I think!
  • Options
    So it's up to you what you call your PB!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I agree with Tim.

As long as I've run the correct distance then if it's my fastest time for that distance it's a pb.

I then have course pb's that I compare each year I do the same race.

There are so many variables we could take into consideration right down to the weather.