Options

Focused Training - RW [Forum]

Comments

• Options
    And, Micksta, you'll need to read up on the physiology of hitting the wall at some point... ;-)
  • Options
    Back to the topic of weight training, if you wanna race fast then run!!!

Pantman, your right of course!

Now for my next trick, going to Club la Santa & not running 100M in the 7 days!
    Can it be done!!!
  • Options
    On the weight training, and cross training generally, isn't it a question of how much time and energy you have and how your training pattern works?
    When I was trying to get back to fitness after a long lay-off I found that 'boxercise' type circuit training was great (obviously that's geared towards top end fitness and strength); if I had spare time training-wise I'd love to incorporate that, but it's as much as I can do to get in 6 running sessions/30-40 miles a week. I wouldn't abandon any of those sessions for cross-training. Also, I can't see quite how I'd fit it in, given the 6 sessions as 2xintervals/tempo run, each followed by recovery a day, one steady and one long run (by my standards!).
  • Options
    JENNYD:

:) yeah I used to wear them black plimsols myself, and do you remember the white ones you could get also?

My slowest "easy pace" speed is around 7:30miling at the moment. Depends if im running alone or pacing a slower runner!

BR:

I did try and catch you up, it was those dam 15mm spikes that stopped me!!! ;)

PANTMAN:

Still not convinced over wearing lightweights every session PANTS, maybe it works for you, but I know for a fact I would prefer my `cushioning` on longer runs, besides I just got meself a pair of NIKE FREE TRAINERS I use them for all my strengthing work now whilst running!

I guess the opinion over if you should do gym work and run is divided, thats good to see though makes for an intresting read on the thread! I have noticed personally though that my strength on hills and sprint finishes has improved along with my weights program!
  • Options
    Micksta, I also feel that weights can give you strength for hills and for holding yourself together when the going is tough. I do upper body weights on some recovery days, geared towards abdominal muscles more than biceps or whatever.

On the shoes, it also depends what you're running on, surely? If you're off-road, cushioning is less of an issue anyway.
  • Options
    JFB:

The abs I think are so underated for runners, its really important to have stong ab and core stability as this is what keeps you on the straight and level whilst running.

I do some bicep work, mostly though my weights are geared toward shoulders, lats, and pecks to open the chest cavity.

You have a point over the shoes though, if off road then its not an issue, however if doing lots of miles on the paths or roads, then runners must be heading for stress fractures or shin splints if running `lightweights` all the time!
  • Options
    I guess the shoes issue will depend to an extent on the individual runner, as well; when I run a lot on the roads I tend to get shin splints or whatever. But BR and Pantman can obviously handle it okay.

As a matter of fact, I like to race in lighter shoes than I train in; the difference is no doubt purely psychological, but the contrast to the regular shoes somehow makes me feel ready to go faster!
  • Options
    I am 6'1" (not a good height to be a runner!), and last year dropped down to 11st3lbs, which worried me a little, I certainly didn't want to drop below that. It was also remarked that I looked a little unhealthy (thin face etc).

After the break I had from running, I'm back up to 11st11lbs (waist appears to be roughly same circumfrance, so maybe I put muscle on through cross-training).

My question is this, what sort of upper and lower weights should I be looking to stay between, to a) Stay healthy; and b) Do good times in?

I know there's a lot of variables in that, but a rough idea would be handy.

I'm also interested to know what someone's PB is (shall we say HM only to keep things simple) versus their height and weight.
  • Options
    I wouldn't have thought that weights would make a huge amount of positive difference for a half marathon, to be honest.
    Probably circuit training is more use than weights, but in terms of weights, I do things like the lateral pulldown, bench press, seated rowing to strengthen back and chest muscles. Lowish weights, high reps (eg sometimes on lat pulldown I will do 2 x 30-40 reps at 28kg plus 1 x 20 reps at 35kg, rather than straining away at a high weight for 3x10 reps).
    If you are worried about weighing too little, then you'd presumably want to work on the big muscle groups, eg back and chest muscles and also the leg press.

My HM PB is weak, the distance is outside my range, really, but for the record it is 77.31; I am 5 ft 8 and weigh 10 stone.
  • Options
    Wasn't really talking about weight-*lifting*, think you may have misunderstood.

Say I want to do sub-80 for a half. What's the most I could weight and be able to do it? 12 stone? Similarly, what weight should I not be dropping below?

Cheers.

PS: Do do quite a bit of weights anyway ...
  • Options
    BRYAN:

Lat pulldowns, Bench press, seated row and peck machines are pretty good for runners, as JFB says for running you need to do high reps and low weight, this improves muscle endurance and tone, but prevents you from baulking out too much!

I usually work 2x20 with my weight reps, off a 1-min recovery between reps.

• Options
    Bryan

I was running 1:15 HMs when I weighed 13.5 stone and I am the same height as you. Body fat was virtually nil.

Still the same height and weight (about) but 20 years on I am returning to training try to get under 1:30 for a HM - close so far but not yet there - then 1.25 - then 1.20 - - - -
  • Options
    Oops, sorry Bryan.
  • Options
    No worries JFB.

Thanks torque, very handy to know ...
  • Options
    Bryan, tend to get much the same kind of comments as you (...you could do with putting on a few pounds to get thin...), but I think performances tell what is right for any individual. Not sure there's an 'ideal' weight.

I'm just over 6ft.

Personally, I was around 13 - 13.5 st when I started running regularly and was running HMs in around 1.29 - 1.36 at that time.

For a HM these days, I'd be looking to be somewhere around 10st 12lbs. My PB (GNR 2004) is 1.17.51. Hoping to push 1.15 close this year.

With the running I do, never really seem to go above about 11st 3lbs, and do notice a bit of a drop-off in my performance when I'm nearing the upper end of my 'usual' weight range (10st 10lbs - 11st 2lbs).

I also find that post-race it can take me a few days to get back up to my pre-race weight (especially after a marathon, when I've dropped as low as 10st 5lbs!). Obviously, most of this is down to de-hydration.

As far as pushing weights goes, I don't!!! But realise I probably should...reverse arm curls would be useful to retain running form, keeping arms high when getting tired in longer races. I just do lots of core exercises (various sit-ups, bridges, lots of pilates-style exercises etc).

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    God if I went home to my parents weighing 10st12, my parents would force-feed me pizza! :-))

I've nopticed I can lose quite a few pounds to dehydration too, particularly after a June half I did this year.

I'd prefer to be at least 12 stone (I don't just concentrate on running, I like having muscle tone too! :-) ). I guess this would mean I'd need a substantial improvement in aerobic fitness in order to carry the extra muscle and actually get faster. But if Torque can do it ... :-)
  • Options
    I also have to say that I don't like gyms, I don't think machines that isolate your muscles do you any good in the long term. You never carry out any other physical task in isolation, so what are you training your muscles to do simple exercises for when in the real world it's all compound movements?

I'd rather do press-ups than bench pressing.

But I do agree that doing high-rep sets of low weights is the way to go ...
  • Options
    I'm 5 10 and weigh in at 10st 7 in the morning.

A year ago I weighed in at 10st 4 and put the extra 3lbs down to carrying more glycogen as I'm more careful about being properly fuelled, and having more tone to my abs and upper body due to sit ups and press ups.

I dream about what times I could run at 10st 4 with my current level of fitness (5 secs/ mile quicker) but then, we don't want to give ourselves virtual times do we:))
  • Options
    it does depend on natural build in part as well.

I was a rather heavier rugby playing wing threequarter (a sprinter!!) earlier in life with chest, shoulders and thighs to prove it.

Slimmed down slightly in those areas but I never worry about how much I weigh - it is simply a product of how I train. Do light weight reps even now to maintain body condition generally but no heavy lifting at all.
  • Options
    Im around 5ft8 and weight is 9st7 in the mornings, not so sure that its so much the lower the weight the faster you run! I think its more down to how your fat to muscle ratio is.

The less body fat you have, the more leaner you are and should be quicker as a runner as well.

• Options
    Ah, but there must be an upper threshold of muscle mass above which your performance drops off?

9st7 is very light, I'm going to check some of tehse with a BMI calculator!
  • Options
    Scobos is 20.6
    Micksta is 20.2
    BR is 21.1
    I'm 21.5 (surprised it was so close to BR!)

At my goal weight of 12st I'd be 22.2.

wonder what the relationship is between BMI and PB's, as I'm not sure that Micksta is faster than BR or Scobos?
  • Options
    BMI
    Underweight Below 18.5
    Normal 18.5 - 24.9
    Overweight 25.0 - 29.9
    Obesity 30.0 and Above
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I'm about 22.8 at 6'1.5". At my lightest about 14 months ago got down to about 22 which was 12stone and I don't think I could get much below that.

I sound like one of these lardy types saying that but I did have a couple of women at work enquire tactfully if I was anorexic at that so I must have heavy bones or something!

To be underweight on the calculation I'd be 10 stone - which is 2 stone under my lightest - I really wood be skeletal at that but I'm quite bony so it accentuates any weight loss - otherwise I might be tempted to try it.

The most I've been in my life was about 25 (14 stone) which was probably borderline overweight - I was still playing a lot of football so fairly fit apart from that.
  • Options
    Bryan

are you telling me I'm a freak?!!:)
  • Options
    Not at all mate :-)

Especially since your BMI of 24.9 is "normal".
  • Options
    phew - normal eh - not many peeps have called me that since returning to running!

• Options
    5'8" and 11:7 when I ran 57min for 10M.
    According to the theory, I'd have been just over 50min if I were under 10st.
    If/when I get to 9:7, Micksta, you will never see me after the first 1/2 mile... ;-)
  • Options
    at 9.7 you'll be invisible anyway!!!