Options

PROVISIONAL Dartford 10

Comments

• Options
    yep :)
    and just to carry on..
    if sub 60 men and sub 70 women..

3 DRR men and 2 women would qualify at mo from the GP races.

A.Green 59:18 at H'boro
    D.Hall 57:07 at Sitt'brne
    D.Thompson 59:37 at Sitt'brne

M Flaxton 1:05.16 at Sitt'brne
    C.Oliver 1:09.34 at H'boro

i'll stop now ! :)

• Options
    I gathered!

Disturbed nights obviously haven't dented your statto skills ;-)
  • Options
    Tig..good point on the age grading.

• Options
    x posts again.. !

yep, statto skills are still fairly sharp :)
  • Options
    Your age grading Gaz... ;)
  • Options
    btw, your only on here coz we're nearing the 100th post ;)
  • Options
    right, packing up.. night all. :)
  • Options
    It is nice to see the TT's are back in the swing of things. Caz has obviously got her appetite back.

Anyone fancy a cross country run in Sevenoaks this sunday.

No excuses now Caz, injury hit Gaz will hold the baby
  • Options
    I'll be doing a cross country run on Sunday, my #1 Chunky :-) - but it's on Longmoor army camp!
  • Options
    I really have to say that I'm hugely disappointed by the suggestion that we move to a two tier race at Dartford.

Were DRR to start and giving exclusivity to "elitist groups" like that, then I for one would leave immediately, and so would many more from DRR. There's enough beginners
    who are scared of joining a running club afraid that their speed will be ridiculed (you only have to look on the Beginners Forum to see that), without introducing a policy of segregation.

That's not why I decided to join DRR, and I'm really glad we have a sensible committee there that would throw out any such suggestion.

• Options
    But if it is the Kent County Championships as well it seems unfair to exclude people who might be in the shake up for county medals as they are members of the organising club and have to marshal.

Sub 60 seems arbitrary, but surely encouraging the ones who are in with a chance of medalling in any age / gender category is reasonable?
  • Options
    We are not suggesting only allowing our faster (non elite) runners to run there is a possibility that we will open it up to any runner from the club with the proviso that they supply a member of their family or friends to help on the day.

This is a clubs main event which helps out throughout the year. I am hoping that the hard core of the club will not run in the interests of the club. But I think the proviso should be encouraged if a member wants to race.

I have spoken with several of the club likely winners in age group and they have said they will not run. I hope this is the case for most of the club.

We will have to wait for a final decision.
  • Options
    BR makes a good point. It is not about a two tier system or being elitist - County Champs are a BIG deal. It seems ludicrous that those with a chance to be in the medals do not compete on their home turf just because it is their home turf!

Bottom line - of course on a club's big "open day" everyone should be serving the club - but surely for the fastest runners the best way of serving the club is to run...

Anyway, if none of them run, so much the better - most of us will move up a place -or two... ;-) But I would honestly rather have a stronger field with them.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly, last years race did not feature any DRR runners! My current club were considering the same thing for this years Maidstone Half but it looks like we can field a partial team for the race now :)

Yes, county championships are a big thing, but its the best of like 6-8 races if its Kent Grandprix, being race one of the season, then a club can get away with not fielding a team, problems occur towards the end of the season when points and places are at stake.

• Options
    Yes, I realise that I have seriously peed a lot of people with my decision, but at the end of the day, my reasons for switching to IEK are big enough for me to make the switch. People are entitled to there own opinions over the situation and I can accept both the flak, which will be huge for a good few months and the pats on the back, which I have already recieved!

I can`t give to much away about whats happening down at IEK but rest assured from me, we do have a squad, which is potent enough to cause problems, if we decide to concentrate on the Kent GP series. We do have a new coach, who used to coach at GEC Avionics.

Keep an eye on the Kent Cross Country League, your get a clue as to what is developing ;P

As for the Pantman v Micksta grudge race, its one I relious! :) It will be a good tough battle, not so sure Pants can dip a sub 55, on that course, from my own experience he will need some serious improvement to do that, but a 56 or 57 is a possability for sure, and the Lawman could do a 57 as well, just hope we get some DRR runners though, I would like to beat Mr Green and Mr Hall on there home patch! :)

• Options
    Micksta - It's not number one in a series it is a one-off county champs - winner is county champ over 10M.
    And I think you mean you "relish"...
    As to times, I do not know the course, so I cannot say for sure, but I am confident of surprising you and a few others. Right now I am in significantly better shape than I was for ND30K. Put it this way, if I get down to 10st by then don't expect to beat me - super club or not!
  • Options
    Micksta - if you read this before your afternoon run, call me (850709). I read you are going to try your spikes out on hilly parkland. I want to give my new pair a run out too and I am at Mote Park (presuming that's where you meant) with the kids for a swim later anyway. Maybe we could run together - while we're still club mates for a little while longer... ;-)
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Is the suggestion that DRRs of a certain speed should be allowed to enter this but their club plodders shouldn't? Complete nonsense, regardless of championship points. I'm not a member of the club but if that is the policy for this race then you won't see me entering.
  • Options
    It's not, Gavo - we were just debating whether it should. It is NOT a points race - it is a one off championship race - medals on offer. If someone from DRR has a serious chance of a medal, do you really think they should be prevented... that is "penguinism" gone mad!
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    If DRR are not letting their runners do the race, it seems wrong if they let quicker people in just if they have a chance of a medal. Not penguinism, just plain old-fashioned fairness. I've got a chance of a medal if they let me miss out the middle 6m.

If they want to enter the race then they can join another club as a 2nd claimer. But if the club policy is that members cannot enter until all the voluntary posts are filled (as happens with other clubs) then faster runners should not be allowed to exempt themselves. Otherwise we have a 2-tiered club.
  • Options
    No, you're right!

Let's hope the Chinese follow your example and prevent their athletes from sending a team to the 2008 games. I mean, most Chinese can't make the Olympic team so why should it matter to those who can?

It seems unfair that so many are assisting with the organisation a yet a few are determined to actually compete - what good can a few medals possibly do for the country - far better off marshalling, I reckon.
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    I don't get that analogy. The Olympics is hardly the same as an open race, which this seems to be. If the DRRs are letting their faster runners enter then any of their members should be able to, regardless of where they are likely to finish.

Not asking rhetorically but do some people choose their running club based on their fast runners? It was never an issue for me.
  • Options
    I`m lurking on this one and its hotting up nicely.
  • Options
    Yeah, but you understand that the Olypics are important to those good enough to compete, but don't seem to understand that County Champs are very important to many who are at that level...

In answer to your question, "yes", I did - pointless joining a club with nobody else fast there... Even though the club's 3rd fastest runner is now jumping ship... :-(