• Options
    I Intend to
    getting lashes tinted tomorrow, hair done on friday
    Lunch with beanz on Friday, and dinner out fri and sat night
    woohoo

(should I fast for the next 48 hours/)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Fasting only allowed for 2 hours max, you're an ultra runner remember.

About time you spent time on yourself, have a lovely time.
  • Options
    Hippo - have a great time, sounds fab and you deserve a bit of pampering!
  • Options
    Hippo, it sounds as if you've had a bit of a rough time, glad to hear that you are doing exactly what you need to, and having some "me-time" I hope it makes you feel a bit better. Also, you can't beat having your hair done! You'll feel like new soon!
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Hippo - have a fab time treating yourself. What colour eyelashes?? I could maybe get my eyebrows done - they are just about invisible.

Delia - sorry about my RHR. I could stop running for a few months and take up smoking again, and I'm sure it would go up :)
  • Options
    Well, yes if you could please Debbo! Tee hee! :)

Also, on a more serious note, I've been trying to do other things rather than just running in my training, things like spinning classes at the gym (and I play netball) do any of you think this is a good or a bad idea? Should I just be running?.... help!
  • Options
    hippo have a great time over the next few days.

Like Debbo my RHR is 48, haven't taken it for a while now.

Delia it was an out and back route I did and its slightly downhill on the way out and then of course its slightly uphill on the way back. Only met one cyclist the whole time as well, great.
  • Options
    Hello all. Had a recovery run yesterday on my way back from Mull. Surprised that it seemed to make the aches go away.

Delia - I think cross training is a good idea (I'm doing a little time on the exercise bike to save my knee and ankle) but I think the advice is to make sure that running remains your main activity.

My schedule (the RW beginners) proposes a recovery week with only a 45 min long run on Sunday. I had been planning to do 12 miles after my tenner last weekend. I'm a bit nervous about cutting back given the time I lost in training last summer and autumn. What do people think? On the other hand I am a bit knackered at the moment.

Hippo - enjoy your pampering! I'm going to stand in the rain and watch the local rugby on Friday night. Might have a few sneaky visits to the beer tent tho' ....
  • Options
    Hi
    Delia---i think if you are training for FLM, then my advice to you would be to concentrate on running alone
    youll get tired enough with the long runs and you will need your rest days

Its not that ive had a rough time--its just work, and its an ongoing situation-nearly 2 years now

Im having my lashes dyed blue -black
    Used to have this done regularly in londodn, along with facials

Now, well some days its all i can do to wash my hair
  • Options
    Hippo - enjoy your pamper-fest! No fasting.

Jane M - how do you manage to go running twice a day so often?!! I struggle to drag myself out 5 times a week.

Delia - I'm not an expert in these things, but I think it's considered good to mix a few other things into your training. Having said that, I do nothing but run, so maybe should do some other stuff?! I do t'ai chi once a week, but I think that's too sedate to count!

:-)
  • Options
    Delia, I've just noticed that we're all telling you something different!! I'll back out of the discussion - I know nothing about this!! I'm also a nervous FLM virgin...

Doctor Sam - do you find doing some cycling helps your knees then? My knees are rubbish and I fancy getting my bike out but I'm worried it will make them worse.

And I have hill training this afternoon. Eek.

:-)
  • Options
    grubbysoles I only go out running twice a day on a Wednesday, Tuesdays I go to the gym in the morning and x-train and do weights. On Wednesday evening I have been taking out a group of beginners and it was run/walk to begin with but now they are up to running 30 mins non-stop, over the next 10 weeks they will increase to running for 60 mins non-stop, if I don't get any new beginners I will cut out the morning run on Wednesdays at it will be too tiring and my group are not slow.

good luck with the hill training.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I will keep with the running for the majority of the time, but netball is only once a week as is spinning, and i'm including rest days as was instructed in my training planner. If I get too tired though, I don't push myself into doing anything more.

Grubbysoles...glad I'm not the only newbie! We can panic and then celebrate together! Keep me posted if you come up with anything good, or any inspirational ideas! (I'll do the same!)

• Options
    afternoon all, hope you are well.

Managed 4 miles last night on the treadmill, incredibly slowly, and scheduled 8 tonight if I can face it. Not 100% happy with my left shin still but it's getting better.

re. Cross-training, I do far too much, training with my OH who's got European Masters Swimming in Sweden in August and a Lands End to John O'Groats bike ride planned for this summer. However I think just running would bore me pretty quickly so I mix up running, swimming, cycling/spinning and gym work in a crazy routine at the moment, sometimes drop a running session if I've done other things that day, or drop one of the other sessions and sit and read old back copies of runners world that are lying around at the gym while OH going off and does his thing.

so this morning was Swimming from 6.30-7.45, after work hoping to get 8 miles in, then spinning if I get back from the run in time followed by a second swim session which I might swap out of or exchange for some abs/core strength work in the gym.

Pretty exhausted but I can't seem to wear him out at the moment ;-)

I do think that the cross training helps with the balance and helps avoid some injuries though. But it's all down to what suits the individual in the end.
  • Options
    Thank you redhead, although I have to say, you seem to do an awful lot! Are you sure you don't have bionic limbs!?! My legs and arms would have fallen off if I did the same as you over the course of a day!

I think I just need to find a happy medium for my cross training as I'm a bit nervous of burning out. It seems to be ok at the moment though, and at least this way I'm not getting bored of running at all!!
  • Options
    RHG - That sounds like a tough schedule!

I don't really do any cross trainng, except Judo and there is a competition in March, but I can't go as I cannot risk the injury, it's a shame as it's a good chance to fight outside the club, but hey...

Jsut a quick question ofr anyone really - I picked up a blister on my right foot, near my instep and am wondering when I should go out again. It is healing really well but am not sure if I shoudl wait for it to heal completly or go aout again.. I a bit wary about having to take more time off from running. Any thoughts would be good! - Thanks
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    ts - use Compeed plasters or tape your foot and take it easy, short slow runs. Preferably a different pair of shoes than those that gave you the blister.
  • Options
    Tortoise....boots sell scholl blister plasters which are specially designed to speed up the healing process and have a cushion that would really protect your foot from your trainers. I ran my first ever race (a little 5k job!!) about 18 months ago, and got a huge blister and used them which helped a lot. Hope this might help?

As you can all tell from my popping up every five mins....I am a bit bored at work!!! Anybody want to give me a job!???!
  • Options
    Tortoiseshelle

Personally I run through my blisters. Do you know why you blistered this time?

I cover the blister with a blister plaster then strap it in place with zinc tape and then slather it in vasoline.
  • Options
    Delia - hurrah! Yes, we can be nervous wrecks together! I'm just worried I'll collapse at the side of the road at mile 22, which will look particularly pathetic in a Supergirl costume. I'm meant to be a Super-Hero! We'll be fine, I'm sure.

Jane M and Red Haired Girl - you are both just Hardcore! I feel like a fat, lazy slob now!

And I still haven't gone hill training.

I'm going.

Right now.

Hmmm...
  • Options
    Just back from 7 hilly miles doing 10.5 mm. Thankfully it only rained in the last mile, phew! Time for a bath because I stink ;-)))
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Pix - are you feeling better now, able to train again?
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I have just put on a pair of shoes to pick up the kids and my foot didn't hurt, so I htought I would protect it tomorrow and take an easy run in a different pair of trainers, and see how it goes. I shall invest in blister plasters as I really cannot take any more rest from running!

I don't usually suffer from blisters, but this was the longest I had run in these shoes (or others come to that!) and I got a blister on the inside edge of my instep. Looking at the shoes I think it is where the shoes lining meets the sides. It's a weird place but healing nicely. I just have to figure out now whether it is the shoes or those shoes with those socks, if you see what I mean.

I shall go out tomorrow and take it steady. Won't be able to get out this evening, so another rest day... that's three this week!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Pix - you will soon be back on form. Yes, I'm really pleased with my girls, they are doing so well and can't get enough of running, really keen. Have got 4 doing FLM too, all first timers

ts - re blister -it often happens in a race as you run harder than usual, you're right it's trial and error with the sock/shoe thing.
  • Options
    Just got back from a slow run took 50 mins instead of the usual 45 feel like collapsing not relaxing now
    Finding it tough at the moment felt great last week now going thru a very horrible i cant do this patch
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    JaneE2 - don't worry - we all have days like that - just try to focus on the good runs and forget the bad ones!

I don't get blisters, or hardly ever, but commiserate because Mr Debbo gets terrible ones.

Pixie - glad to hear you are back running again - you'll soon be back to where you were.