Options

10k & half marathons

Comments

• Options
    Evening,

Dave, well done with that marathon time. I suspect that you could easily go tem minutes faster with the shorter race times you have ran.

Bryn, start steady in your 10K, with your recent running you will blow a big hole in your previous best.

Just putting some confidence touch's for my hilly 10K race on Sunday. Running up plenty of hills, loads of hard aerobic running and running fast down hills after a 5 mile work out.

Run, rest and recover well.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

thought I'd better check in - I haven't been doing much running recently so haven't been posting as much either :o(

I've had a foot injury for the last couple of weeks that put me out of the White Peak marathon - I just got to cheer Dave over the line instead of running it myself. Hoping to be back on the road tomorrow, but it's just one day at a time at the moment. I have a 5k on saturday - no way I'll be fit enough to run it well, but I'll probably do it as speedwork as long as the foot is completely recovered.

Congratulations to Jen on your race - winning something is always a bonus :o)
  • Options
    Having to miss out on Hatfield Broad Oak on Monday, as need to visit parents in Scotland at short notice. So 3rd 10K will have to wait - will I be trying to beat karlb's time by then? :0)
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Aardvark, I am sorry to hear about your foot. I was looking forward to a report from you.

Thanks for the congrats people....<<still chuffed with medal!!>>

Jenny-odd distance because it is part of a summer series of a 2, a 3 and a 4 mile race. Gives you something to aim at each month. Went out for a training run with boyf this evening - 2 miles in 17 minutes today! He was rather puffed, but thinks he will be able to cope with 3 miles on Wednesday. I am determined to get him going and even if he doesn't enjoy it, he will be able to get round without stopping. Who knows, if he does start to enjoy it, he might get the taste and go for a 10k or two with me!

Sodahead - which hilly 10k?

Oo! I have a 5k on Sunday!
    (thinking I am racing a bit too much at the moment....)
  • Options
    I'm going to start at dead on 3:30 per km and just try to keep that up till half-way.

JennyD, yes twice, first time was two years ago when I ran a pb of about 6 minutes (from a very slow course and 2/3 years ago) to run 39:xx, last year I'd had a track race the day before and with the heat my abs tottally gave up on me,just under 18 minutes for 5k and then finished in 40:45 or so jogging it in, it irritated me as the previous year when I'd done 39:xx the lead boy did 36 something, and so I didn't bother pushing for the finish, turns out the lead boy last year finished 7 seconds ahead of me, which if I'd known I'd have started running again quicker after my walk break.

It's a pretty quick course, only problem is if it gets too hot.
  • Options
    Jen, I am doing the Raby Castle 10K. Its near Staindrop, which in turn is near Bernard Castle in County Durham. Run on roads and trails in private grounds with views of the Castle, its impressive gardens and roaming deer. Unfortunately I don't see any of it when I'm racing so I will have a good look about when warming up and cooling down.

Bryn, 3.30/K sounds like a sensible rate at which to start (but if you maintain that pace that will give you 33m for the 10K and that is very fast indeed). At the start of races I have now got into the habbit of letting myself be enveloped by everyone blasting off quick and use them as natural barriers to slow me myself down in the early stages of races. The start is still quick cos that is how everyone is running and you have then got all these targets to pick off or hide behind and the possibility of running a negative split is greatly increased.

Aardvark, do you know what the problem is with your foot?

Must get to work :(
  • Options
    Sodahead - Is that the race this sunday? I'm in newcastle this weekend, and I'm highly tempted to turn up and race on the day (as apparently you can?). Of course, unlike you, I'll be taking in all of the scenery :)

Dave - Awesome. Unbelievable and awesome. Well done you :)

Well, I had three days off (three days!!!) But I went to the gym yesterday, after fighting off my cold and got the buzz again. Going to either run tonight, or go do circuits and body bike down the gym. Exam is in TWO days....ARGH. But then I'm free! Till the end of September! Hurray! :P
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Sodahead - the problem is with one of the tendons that runs across the top of the foot. I think it was caused by doing too much too soon in minimalist shoes. I got round 6m this morning without any problems and I'm working from home today, which gives me a good chance to put my feet up. Assuming there is no negative reaction, I'll start building up the mileage again over the next few days.
  • Options
    Jen, that sounds good, a series of races! And a medal each time!!! ;o) My bet is, your boyfriend will get the running bug and pretty soon, he'll be getting up to 10k distance! He sounds a lot like me when I started, I could last about 2 miles at not a bad pace, but it was hard, then I just edged the distance up each time, that's all!

Bryn, I'm glad to hear HBO is a fast course! I don't mind heat at all (we have a treadmill in the conservatory, so I'm used to it :o)), but I mind wind! A bit blowy today, hope it goes soon!

Aardvark, sorry to hear about your foot, sounds like it's mending though.

I upped the speed on the Kenyan hills last night to 13.6kph and survived 8 intervals. That has real attitude!
  • Options
    Hmph 8o(

I've got a cold today. I'm coughing up thick green stuff and my head is clogged up. So I think I'll be a man and whinge about it for a while.

Cheers for all your well-dones for saturday. I now have to decide whether I want to go for London or not... hmmm...

Sodahead - I'm sure there's a bit more in the tank ;o) I'd only done two runs of over 20 miles and it was an off-road coarse so I think I ought to be able to push down towards 2'45 if I train well and run consistent splits.

Jenny - That's a pretty good session - hill reps normally make my insides feel like they want to leave my body!

Aardvark - 'Working from home' - I've heard that one before! ;o)

Dave
    8o)
  • Options
    Dave, I diagnose man flu!
  • Options
    Sodahead, doesn't 3:30 per km or 3.5 minutes per km give 35 minutes exactly and 3:18 per km give 33m? I know 3:30 x 10 sounds like it should be 33 but it's a conversion from seconds to minutes and 10 sets of 3 and a half minutes is 35 minutes.

33 is too quick atm, I'm almost running that quick for a 5k though! :o)

I don't remember the wind being a particular problem in the race jennyD so that shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    Bryn - You need to do the sums by working in seconds because of the conversion.
    3:30 is 210 seconds, so 3:30 x 10 is 2100 seconds which is 35 minutes dead!

Jenny - I think I probably do have manflu, but I have to say that this is the first time that this disease has ever given me stomach cramps 8oS
  • Options
    Aardvark - I meant to add: I'm sending get better vibes to your foot. Do you plan to do another marathon soon as a replacement?
  • Options
    that's what I thought Dave Lynne, I'll probably end up doing the first km in 2:52 like I did last year though :o). It's so tempting when you see the leaders head off to just try and stick with them!

Nice thing about broad oak is that the field is so large that you'll have people to run with whatever your pace.
  • Options
    Thought I'd start dropping in here now I'm back in 10k and HM mode for the rest of the year.

Big Congrats to DL - as you say a fantastic feeling to be cruising past people at the end.

I'm starting this cycle off a 33:56 10k set at Askern last week and a 27:51 5 miler 3 weeks ago. The first job will be to take a big chunk out of that 5 mile time on the next 2 South Yorkshire Road League races, starting tomorrow.

Bryn, take your 5k time, double it and add a minute. You should be pretty close to 34 mins (3:24m/km). However if you set off at 3:30 as planned you'll run a very strong 2nd half and do better than setting off at 2:52 pace!!
  • Options
    Welcome back BR! Have you come to show us mortals how to do things properly?!
  • Options
    I'd be very, very happy if my 10k time was double 5k + 1 min.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Bunny - Abingdon in October has always been my real target - the White Peak was going to be a training run. I may do another one as a steady training run, but I'll most likely stick to long runs on my own over the summer.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Jenny - at the moment, my 10k PB is double 5k - 4 mins. I really need to get my 5k PB sorted out ;o)
  • Options
    Jenny - I reckon that it probably is, you just don't know it yet!
  • Options
    Heeheeheehee!!!

I'm getting a bit jittery now about Monday, 1st race in 6 months! I'm trying to work out the pacing, maybe stick to how I'd approach a treadmill run, steady-ish about 4:20/25 to about 8k, then hopefully I'll have some left to turn it up from there.

I really don't have much of a comparable to flat-ish road as it's so hilly here.
  • Options
    Dave - you want to keep all that lung butter you are coughing up, it does wonders for your running shoes if the soul comes away during a run!! Sorry didn't mean to gross everyone out but I could have been worse and said use it instead of using bodyglide - please don't hate me:)

Interview went okay today but I will not know for a good while - apparently they are interviewing over a couple of weeks!
  • Options
    Dave, it sounds like you're doing just fine on your own:-)
  • Options
    RACE REPORT KNOWLE FUN RUN

I am not going to go into too much depth for several reasons - I didn't really take this race too seriously (no pbs here), I am knackered (got up at 5am for job interview today) and there is not much worth reporting apart from the fact I had an utter fab time - running for the fun of it really is fun!

The upshot is 6.01 miles in 53:37. Mind you my average HR was only 160bpm (usually 170+) but I really recommend, if you are up this neck of the woods, have a run through Kingsbury Waterpark it is beautiful.

There were a few cockups with the marshalling during the race such as one marshall, whilst turning around to talk to her husband missed the front runners (5 in all), and they went the wrong way and had to double back. Apparently they were not best pleased - can't help but find it funny though!

Did a 9 mile run last night - partly to build up to half marathon and also to clear my head (I had been preparing far to intensively for this bloomin interview). It was one of the best runs I did. My time 1:17:09 (an easy benchmark for fenscot the streaker [ahem this was meant to mean that you run fast not that you run naked] to beat) with mile splits all under 9:00/mile and I felt I could run more but I didn't want to risk picking up an injury.

Apart from that nothing much happening.
  • Options
    Evening,

Just thought I'd pop in before my LT session at the club tonight.

Bryn, it was too early for me this morning :) you are right with the calcs of course <<Soda tilts head and taps the loose sawdust out of left ear>>

Dave, after your marathon your immune system will be in tatters. Whatever bugs are about you will catch them and they will hang around for some time. Get a heavy duty multi-vit into your system to help it out and eat well.

BR, well done with that 10K time, my weekly mileage has plummeted to 50/60MPW, it will be interesting to see how I go on this Sunday and even more interesting Sunday week in the Thirsk 10 miles (special weather of 25'C + already on order).

Bunny, yes it is this Sunday. Its a great venue, if you can get there - get there. Go onto the Northern Social thread on URWFRC - there is a slack handful of us forumites getting together.

Aardvark, I had something similar on my right foot. Only got the discomfort when I wore my top of the range NB1221's. The pain was so bad that I had to stop running. Once I changed my trainers the discomfort eventually went away. I have since tried my NB's and the pain came back immediately :(
  • Options
    By the way my race report was for the Hearing Dogs 10K not the knowle fun run. My brain is in post-interview melt down!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Ooo, the room is filling with very fast men! Anyone care to show me their ankles!??!?

Ran 6 miles this morning rather than doing a hill session. Tried to keep my HR around 150 and felt like I was going very speedy to do that. Splits all over the shop though. Had a couple of sub-9, and a couple over 10 min miles!!! Weather was plesant enough until mile 5 when the heavens opened. I sped up a little, but really didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped.
    Still, interesting to see what HR is doing over a route I was running regularly before hill training kicked in. Looks like av HR has come down 10 bpm for a similar pace on the same route. Is this a valid comparison?

Gym now....will probably just do 3 miles and some strngthening. Then swimming in the morning.
  • Options
    You wouldn't want to see mine, they are all hairy and thick like my head!!! :)
  • Options
    Sodahead - I dont go on those scary threads...Too big for someone short like me :) Besides, I have a feeling the boyf might complain if I not only drag him to a race when I'm meant to be visiting him, but meet and greet other people too. Heh...I might do it just to annoy him

Jen - What's your next big race? I know you're doing the shorter ones atm (and by doing so many you're gonna be gonzales in no time) but I'm nosey and like to keep track :)

Went out for a run this evening, something I haven't done in ages. I wasn't going to go at all, but I was sat at my desk, trying to revise and instead figeting like a frustrated chicken. Feel better for it now though. Which is why I'm obviously posting here and not revising!

Karlb - Let us know how your interview went, won't you? And running races for fun sounds really pleasant...I'll follow in your footsteps when I run Hull in a few weeks time.

Hmmmm....I'm worried....has anyone seen Steaders??