Options

10k & half marathons

Comments

• Options
    Jen, well done in your 5K. Both your times and race positions are improving, keep it going.

Pammie, well run.

Hair cut worked a treat but it was sunny today so I now have a "flameing head"

The race Teeshirt was pink - PINK. No way am I wearing that. Met up with some fourmites for a picnic after the race - a very enjoyable days play indeed.
  • Options
    Sodahead - I'm exhausted just reading your report! Well done, motoring man.

Pammie and Ceal - If you really want to run to Chariots of Fire music, then run the Chariots of Fire race in Cambridge - so named after the quad race round one of the Cambridge colleges featured in the film. The modern race is a relay race for teams of 6, running 1.7 miles each round the scenic centre of Cambridge. There are hundeds of runners, with businesses, colleges, and even the odd running club taking part to raise money for charity - this year it's East Anglia Children's Hospices. Teams can be male, female, mixed, college or vets. How about one or more Runners World teams? It's on 18th September (same day as Great North Run) and further details are at:
    http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/people/cen_events/chariots05/home.lpf

(Sorry, how do I do the linky bit again?)
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Sodahead that was a brilliantly run race. I held my breath whilst reading your report. It sounds a tough course which you attacked in the right way. Congrats you have every reason to feel proud of yourself, 1st Vet, a very impressive position to finish a race.

Pink scalp! make sure you rub some some suncream on next time you race:-))
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    You did great Tracey.

Sodahead - good racing there, and good luck for next week. Take care of that head. Think the weather was reversed today was overcast down here. Though i was sweating near the end. Not a pretty sight.

Isn't Jenny racing tomorrow. If i'm right good luck. Can't wait for her report.
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Whoops, I seem to have given the impression I ran a 10k race the other day - no, it was only a training run. Will revert to miles to avoid confusion!

I don't think I'd attempt to race in the hot, humid weather we have here. Resting today.

Some excellent performances on the thread. A good hard effort from Pammie, brilliant running from Sodahead and a great result from Jen*, especially after your bike ride.

Puzzled to read JennyD is racing on a Monday, then remember it's a bank holiday in the UK. Y'all have an enjoyable one!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Fenscot - yes, I swim once a week and yes, "utter madness" as you phrase it has crossed my mind. I am very interested in the triathlon training featured in RW magazine at the moment.....

Sodahead - to be able to count the number of runners in front of me and work out my position is my dream!!! You run great races, congrats on your place and 1st vet.

Karlb - maybe you could get Soda's pink t-shirt from him....?!?!?

Tracey - do we get a race report from you too then?????

I ran three miles yesterday evening with boyf - wasn't sure if it was a good idea but I told him I would be very slow and he shouldn't wait for me. The only reason I went was because I didn't think he would go without me - half way round the route he said he probably would have done!!!
    Anyway, went very slowly and I did enjoy it, so I am pleased I went. Gave me a chance to do some proper stretching for the day rather than the rubbish I end up doing after a race!!!!

Off cycling today again. Testing the route into work to see if it is doable without generating too much sweat and stink (boyfriend doesn't have showers at work). And stopping off for a picnic on the way back - yay bank holiday!!!!

Have a great one everyone - and here's to JennyD and a sub44 10k perhaps?????? No doubts, she will be putting in a storming performance....... I will wait with baited breath.....
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I think we should have a book to say what we think JennyD will do. She will not be looking at this before her race, so no pressure.

Jen* says 44 mins
    ceal " 42 mins
  • Options
    fenscot - well I don't know if that sub 50 is within my reach yet. I have a race on Sunday in Fairford Gloucestershire. I have heard that it is not good pb teritory as it is quite undulating, but we will see.

Went shopping yesterday for new running shoes. Ended up with a pair of Mizuno Wave Legend III. Little bit concerned with the service I recieved but at the end of the day the shoes feel very comfortable. I may go to other shops and see what they have to say before I start wearing them though.

Jen* - Jen jen jen! I used to have a pink t-shirt many years ago. It was kind of fashionable then to wear outrageous colours and one of those things you look back at and think "My god you looked a right nob in that" :) Thanks for the email btw!
  • Options
    Karl says 40 mins. I am sure that girl has a rolls royce engine strapped to her back and a pair of rollerskates though.
  • Options
    ....hmmm maybe that is the answer to my sub 50 10K!
  • Options
    Morning,

Great morning up here. Been out and completed over 2 hours of slow running.

Now doing what every sensible person does on a bank holiday....

D I Y

aarrrrggggghhhhhhh
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Sodahead - suddenly I don't feel so bad about having to work on the bank holiday ;o)

Congratulations on the 10k. I like those tougher races where you can forget about the time and concentrate on racing other people.
  • Options
    Even though I am not working at the moment, when I had a job I always wanted to work on Bank Holidays. Personally I think Bank Holidays are a complete waste of time. Most shops are closed and anywhere you want to get to is usually the same place that everyone else wants to get to. Bank Holidays are like a permanent rush hour on the roads. Maybe I just don't like crowds ... now where is that website for joining the monestary:) Oh it has just started raining - oh joy. Good job I am not running today.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all

karlb - wish i lived where you are, most shops are open round here. Though i am bias as i work in retail, when i have time off i want to get away from shops if i can help it. Though sometimes i admit is not always easy.

Well went out for a run today didn't know how far i would want to go, after yesterdays efforts and would my legs cope, anything up to 2 hours i said.

1:33:33 for 9.35 miles which equals 10 min miling on the dot.
    Well i'm gobsmacked. I could have gone even further, as i was approaching level crossing gates i said if they're down when i reach them i'll turn right and head for home, if they're up i'd go straight ahead, would be an extra 1-2 miles.

They were down.

Still i'm pleased.
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    I'll have a flutter on JennyD doing 40 mins...
  • Options
    I have a question to ask which is not entirely relevent to this forum but considering how helpful and informative you all are I am going to ask you. I have recently bought some Mizuno Wave Legend III running shoes. But I am not entirely confident with my decision.

Although they feel extremely comfortable wearing and jogging in them I have had a look at the Mizuno website and found some things that concern me. This shoe is (quoted from Mizuno website) "Probably the best lighter weight motion control shoe on the market. Point of impact cushioning from the combination of a lateral rubber Wave plate and VS-1 insert coupled with the medial stability of a pebax double fan shaped Wave ensure the runner enjoys a perfect transition with excellent pronation control".

When I went into the shop I did say that I wanted something that would reduce any impact damage as most of my running is done on the pavement, and I needed a wide fitting shoe. My old Saucony Jazz 7000 showed a slight wear on the rear outer sides of the heals but I suggested that this is probably more due to the camber of the pavement I run on rather than any pronation. They assistant did not do any gait analysis and just asked how my old shoes had been which I replied that they had been alright. So if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate hearing them?

Thanks
  • Options
    KarlB, I don't think there is anything to be worried about. For us heel strikers it is quite normal to wear out our shoes (if I can draw a pictorial representation). If you take your right foot and draw a line from the outside right of your heel to your big toe that is probably where your foot will contact the ground.

It will be perfectly normal to wear out the outside rearside of your shoe and somewhere around your big toe as you push off.

I've just consigned a pair of Wave Precisions to the bin after some 1000 miles. They still don't look completely worn out so take heart and enjoy the footwear with some confidence.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Karl - if you have a neutral gait, then you might be ok with lighter motion control shoes - having stability features that you don't need is generally safer than not having ones that you do need.* The best test is running in them - if they feel ok then they probably are.

*Disclaimer - the above comes from what I was told the only time I had a gait analysis. Personally, I find even most racing flats too cushioned and supportive and would happily run with nothing thicker than socks on if my feet were tough enough ;o)
  • Options
    Well, today I manages 20 mins of steady running to test whether my lungs are working again. The result is that they are not at full power, or anything close, but I could run gently without any hassle. So, I'll be doing some steady running for a few days (but I'd've been doing that anyway!).

Well done to everyone who raced at the weekend. Sodahead - that sounds like a properly good course!

Have fun!

8o)
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I would just like to add (since there is a list and betting tally on this) I have every faith that Jenny wil be faster than 44 minutes and I am not underestimating her ability.
    Perhaps I could add that I think she will be top 5 in her category...???

Dave - enjoy the steadiness.

I just had a squizz and the Well 5k results (sorry, I know I always have to comment on the official results rather than just go with the race report!!)....

There was a senior female, vet 45 female and U16 female in front of me. As a senior female, could I claim I came second in my category?!?!?! Official time was 23:23 not 23:40-something, so rather more cheery today.

Except we went on a 18 mile bike ride and I was slow and in pain. I think I am too tired to run tomorrow!! Boo hoo!!
  • Options
    well done Jen* and Dave Lyne for getting back to training.

had a fairly good race today, 34:45, 105 second pb, with previous pb set on a course that was about 40 seconds short so overall fairly pleased.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Bryn - I saw your report on the daily thread - top notch performance! Heck of a way to score a sub-35!!! Congratulations!
  • Options
    Everyone has been mentioning about Jenny's time but we haven't heard anything from her. Jenny - are you okay?
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    I think Jenny posts from work, doesn't she? Hopefully she'll be writing her report shortly...
  • Options
    Hi peeps

5.5 miles done and dusted (with over a mile done in my bare feet!) My lungs were still a bit conjested, but they're getting better each day.

Where is jenny...?
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hello gang

Just did 4 miles today slow recovery run at around 10;27 mile pace.

Take it easy Dave don't want any setbacks

Hope Jenny is ok.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Dave I should think that your feet needed dusting off after running a mile bare foot!! Was that on grass? Great feeling I am sure. You are certainly suffering at the moment, but running soon gets rid of the muck at the bottom of the lungs and brings it to the surface!!!
  • Options
    Ceal - It was on the roads. I am trying to run barefoot for two reasons: To strengthen the muscles and tendons in my feet and to toughen the skin on the soles of my feet so that i'll get fewer blisters. Personally, I don't think I'd want to run barefoot on grass because it's harder to see any broken glass or discarded needles. I don't fancy tetanus or HIV at the moment!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Point taken Dave:-))
  • Options
    Hi everyone!!!

I haven't had a chance to catch up with all the last few days posts, will do so later, but I know you want to know how I got on. Not a happy story, I'm afraid :o(

Hatfield Broad Oak 10k:

Typical Bank Holiday weather, peed it down with rain on the journey over, but luckily it brightened up once we got through the Dartford crossing. There was a good village atmosphere, with stalls and a jazz band playing, it seemed strange for a small village to host a big race! We saw Pantman and his family and had a chat, the I queued up for an eternity for the loos - just 3 of them!

My target was to get inside 44 mins, hoping that worst case scenario I'd be relying on a sprint finish to do so.

1. 4:00 - Very crowded and slow start, tried not to trip over anyone. I don't think I'm keen on a big field. Downhill 1st half then slight up. It wasn't as fast as it looks, hubby's Garmin reckoned it was 90m short, so the split was more like 4:18.

2. 4:20 / 8:20 - Slight uphill. It was 1k from the 1st marker, but still short of 2k.

3. 4:30 / 12:50 - Slight uphill. This marker was at 3k, so a slightly longer split. All subsequent markers were right. 25 secs already ahead of target, but I felt quite good.

4. 4:08 / 16:58 - Slight downhill. 42 secs ahead of target! Whoops.

5. 4:44 / 21:42 - Uphill, but I deliberately slowed it. Reduced to 23 secs ahead of target.

6. 4:13 / 25:55 - 1st half uphill back into the village, then 2nd half sharp down out of the village, but really, too short to be of much value to me. 35 secs ahead of target.

7. 5:03 / 30:58 - A steady climb and I was feeling it, hated it. I was tiring, tried slowing to recover and it wasn't working, so I just plodded on. I'd had enough. I've never gone slower than 5 min/km in a race before! 3 secs behind target now.

8. 4:37 / 35:35 - Still a steady climb and it was hurting! 15 secs behind target, but then I thought, hey, I'm still 25 secs up on my Brighton 8k split.

9. 4:25 / 40:00 - Slight downhill mostly, so felt a bit better. 15 secs still behind.

10. 5:04 / 45:04 - I thought, if I legged it, I could still get inside 44. There were markers every 200m now. Then 800m to go I saw that hill. I wanted to stop, get my breath then burn it to the finish, but I thought that wasn't the way to go in a race, so I plodded on. It was painful! Then I got overtaken by Fatman and gave up. 200 to go, it turned downhill and I sprinted, overtaking a couple of people but it was too little too late.

I got overtaken past the finish line going into the funnel (why do people do it?) but I was too disgusted with myself to care.

What went wrong? I think I'd forgotten how to pace a race and did the 1st half too fast. None of the hills were fierce, but there were loads of them! Hubby ran a good race and beat me by 2 mins (revenge for me beating him by 8 secs at Brighton!). He admitted I ran a donkey race.

Consolation though! I think I can knock at least a minute off my 5k split for a 5k race! So what's this theory about 10k = 2 x 5k + 1 min??? Hmmmm.