Comments

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    <<drags her body into room, limping and a little worse for wear>>

I tried those Kenyan hills tonight!

<<collapses into a nervous, twitching, gibbering ball of mush>>
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I had an email from a while back from Steaders and I tried emailing him, but nothing. His profile suggests it has been a month since he past posted anywhere. I am worried too.

And what of allie cat?! Her long awaited return to running means she disappears from the forum!

Next races (full run down, for the ultra nosey!)
    Wells 5k - 29th May
    Long Eaton 5 mile - 12th June
    Transendence 3 mile - 17th June
    Snowdon 10 mile* - 23rd July
    Transendence 4 mile - 29th July
    Totnes 10k - 6th August
    Swansea 10k* - 25th Sept
    Cardiff half mara - 9th Oct

*races I am training particularly for.

There is also potentially another 5k on 24th June being organised by my potential club. But I don't know where it is yet.

• Options
    karlb - Well done on the 'fun run' and the 9 mile run. Think you'll have several races in at this rate before my next one. Had really enjoyable club run tonight, about 6.5-7.0 miles. What are your race plans for the next month or so? Did you feel the interview went well - and do you want the job if they offer it?! (May be a silly question)
  • Options
    Hiya matey. Thanks. I have to be honest with you the 9 miler was one of the best runs I ever ran. I think the best way to explain my race plans is to suggest you have a look at my bookmarked races - those are all the ones I have or going to run in. I am more or less running a race every two weeks.

The interview seemed to go okay. I was happy with my performance so if I don't get it there will be very little self negation going on. If they offer the job to me then I think I will have to take it. As for long term plans we will have to see how good this job is, if I get it of course.

So it sounds like you are having a ball of a time with the club running. Do you tend to do this distance every time?
  • Options
    Karlb, you're gross! Jen, men's ankles again, you're perverse!

Right, now the insults are out of the way... ;o) Jen, tell us about those Kenyan hills! ;oD You've got a nice selection of races lined up.

Yes, where's allie cat and steaders?
  • Options
    Jen* - Ankle Fetishist of the West - yeah baby!!

JennyD - I do have my moments!
  • Options
    Its good to see this forum operates at such a high level!

Jen - thems a lot of races :) Cool stuff. Is Cardiff the one you said had pb potential? I've a bad feeling that it's the same day as Selby. And Selby several hundred miles nearer for me! How did the Kenyan hills go? :P

Anythoughts about Brass Monkey being the thread gathering? Cos it's a great pb'er, and York is VERY pretty. We've got till September before entries open though.

Right, I'm off to the gym to do some strength work and perhaps some mad cycling, if I'm up to it. Then I'm moving into the library until my exam tomorrow. Eep.

Have a good day everyone!!
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Hmm, Brass Monkey... haven't thought that far ahead yet, but if I decide to target a half in the new year then that could be a possibility. Although if you want to stay on the right side of the Pennines, then the Helsby half is also a PB course.
  • Options
    Sodahead- I am also doing the Thirsk 10 mile. I live in Stokesley so a nice local one really. Never done a 10 miler before so not too sure how to pace it ( not that I ever manage it anyway in race )
    I wish my mileage would 'plummet' to 50 - 60 miles per week!!!
  • Options
    Don't worry Carol, I think I've done well if I've managed half of Sodahead's mileage, of now that is, not before! And I'm a knackered wreck (but improving!) with it.

But... consolation! Sodahead's not twice as fast as me, so my conclusion is I get more for my miles!!!

I heard before something about the law of diminishing returns? I wonder if some nerd can work out the most efficient mileage?

Brass Monkey half, count me out! Unless someone can offer me a tow.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Jenny - in fairness, to be twice as fast as you he would need to knock several minutes off the 10k world record... ;o)

Diminishing returns depends on the kind of mileage you're doing. If it's all hard, then the cutoff point is much lower (in fact, it's probably the point at which several muscles go 'ping' and your legs fall off). If it's steady aerobic work, you can do much more.

The other thing is that diminishing returns means what it says: you get less extra benefit beyond a certain point, but still some. So if the first 70m of the week give the most aerobic benefits, overall you still gain more by running 100m/week than by sticking to the "efficient" 70.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Boy - this thread is getting busier

7.1 miles today just an easy pace about 10:30 min miles. Like Jen my pace is usually 10-11 min miles yet when race day cometh i manage to run a few minutes a mile faster.

Didn't do any 300's this week as legs felt kn******d from the weekend and i have a race on Sunday just 5 miles. So will see what happens

So easy running between now and then
  • Options
    Bunny, Raby will be an enjoyable day out just for the sight seeing alone. We are "gathering" before the 5K and after the 10K out side the coffee shop at the picnic tables.

Carol, Thirsk 10 miler is always hot. Make sure you hydrate like a fish for a couple of days before the run. There is a great car boot sale next to the start in the morning if you want to make a day of it.

BR should do Thirsk, he likes the heat ;)

Did a 4.5m recovery run am. Doing a bit of DIY now and will head out to run over the Cleveland cliff's into the sunset at 8pm for another 6/7 miles. Today is an easy day.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    <<picks self up off floor>>

Kenyan hills.....<<almost collapses at thought of them!!>>

I managed 6. And not all of them were 2 minutes. In fact probably only the first one was 2 minutes! And recovery was more than 1 minute. I tried to wait til HR was down to 130 (as per recommended for interval training) but only got down to 156 (!) before I felt able to try another. Longest 90 seconds of my life!!!

And it was the first time I actually almost felt sick after running. You hear about people being sick because of the effort they put into racing.... that was as much effort as I put into Kenyan.

Strange how the desire to do "just one more" kept returning though (I seriously thought I might give up after 3!!!)......

This weekend is a biggie for races I think. Reports galore!

By the way, Bunny - huge good luck for all the Uni work you are doing. You sound like I right little swot! I am pleased you are able to fit your running in too. You sound like a very well balanced individual!

Brass Monkey - rock on! Yes!yes!yes!
  • Options
    Evening all!

My cold is a bit better today, although I'm still coughing up gunk so I imagine it'll be a few more days before I can run. My main aim is to take things easy for a while (a perfect excuse to watch the cricket tomorrow!) and make sure I get better asap.

I think meeting at Brass Monkey would be quite cool - so long as me and Aardvark can get over the pennines. As that's not until next year, would it be worth thinking of something a bit sooner as well?
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hi all

Thanks sodahead for reminding me my up and coming half, is usually hot, last year was ever so hot.
    <<memo to self - drink extra water>>
    How many days beforehand. Any more tips

I did hear that rumour that BR loves hot races.

Kenyan hills do not tempt me, only trouble round here the only hills of significant length are Tarmac.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Well there was talk of a 10k in Lancs...? Wesham 10k? But since BR is up north, we should go a bit further south perhaps for an earlier get together......

Potential options...
    20 Nov
    Brighton 10k
    Matthew Walker 10k Xmas pud race Derbyshire)
    Chelmsford 10k

26 Nov (Saturday....?)
    Cheddleton Christmas Pub 10k (Staffs)
    Wesham 10k (north again)

I dunno what people think. But I figure a 10k since BR is the half....

Ooo! Liverpool have finally scored!!!

• Options
    Run done. Now I know why I like running early morning - NO FLIES.

Pammie, I take ondoard an extra 1L to 2L's for the two days before the race. Take little and often say half a cup every half hour. The evening before your race day your (sorry about this) urine should be very pale or clear - you are properly hydrated.

Brass Monkey - its in my calender. Its a quick route but very very cold.

Back to watching the match 3-3 now :)
  • Options
    karlb - just looked at your bookmarks. The first is 'Women's running guide' - so the hairy ankles and photo are just as disguise then?! ;o)
  • Options
    Hee hee. Nah mate, Sue [my wife] is thinking of starting running after she gives birth so I thought I would bookmark this page for her which looks really useful.... honest!!
  • Options
    karlb - well believe you. Hope Sue is blooming at present.

Re thread race - how about Clumber Park 10K on 9 Sept? Just off the A1 in Nottinghamshire, believe it's quite a popular and scenic race. It's not currently on RW events, but you can pick it up through a Google search.
  • Options
    That was supposed to say "we'll believe you"
  • Options
    Hey, I can run hot races, just not as fast as normal. Last year I beat a load of local rivals who are better than me at the Askern 10 in a heatwave by running to HR.

Yes Brass Monkey is the best show in town in January. Get your entries in early.
  • Options
    Hi fenscot
    I will check out that race in a couple of days. Off to Wales for a short break.

Speak to you soon.
  • Options
    Club night run last night. Supposed to have been 7 miles but we got lost and did over 8. Supposed to have taken it easy, but ended up taking it steady-ish, which is supposed to be slower than 10k pace, but ended up faster most of the time when we had a clear run (when we weren't crossing roads, dodging nettle or asking for directions). But I felt great, and could have gone on for longer!!! That was the 1st long run ever when my legs didn't feel knackered! What's happening?

Got overtaken on an uphill as usual by the 2 smirking vets. I found out their 10k time is around 35 mins! And to think I was trying to keep up with them, no wonder they were laughing at me!

I've noticed from running with others that most people seem to run at a very metronome pace and I have a much greater variance. I've realised I've also a habit of surging a bit every now and then and others don't like it. I think it's funny. I think I know how to shake people off in a race then :o)
  • Options
    Jenny - You did 8 miles at 6 mile pace? That's pretty good 8o)

Karl - Enjoy your break!

My chest is slightly better again today, but the gunk is still coming out fairly steadily.

The good news is that Freddy is bowling quite well so far this morning!

8o)
  • Options
    Dave, it wasn't consistent, so I really don't know. The only consistent runs I get are the treadmill ones.

Could you not be a bit more descriptive about your green lung gunk? :o)

Talking of putrid green, we bought our club vests last night!

Jen, well done on the Kenyans. It does get easier, believe me ;o)

Good luck everyone racing this weekend (including me!)
  • Options
    Jenny - The gunk is roughly the colour of the skin of a golden delicious apple, and has the consistency of lumpy custard. Does that help?

8o)

(sorry)
  • Options
    Yes, 8 miles @ faster than 10k pace is very good going:-)
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Evening

3.9 miles done tonight still quite warm, but with no loss of pace, even 15 seconds per mile quicker than the norm.
    Winding done before Sunday

Jen - i almost did the Chelmsford 10k last year did think of it but didn't enter in the end.

Sodahead thanks for that
    Will take on more water.

Good luck all racers this weekend