Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options

Jo Legs and Candyfloss - well done. Keep that training programme going!

For speed work I did the 7 Pools Run in Sutton Park, near Birmingham (a 10K race) in 42'31" on Sunday. Can't tell you how chuffed I was with the time. I feel I'm running really well at the moment but hope I haven't peaked too soon.

If it helps, just about every time I've been to Scotland it has rained - so you probably won't have to worry about the heat!
  • Options
    Candyfloss - Of course you will! Up the mileage gradually week by week until you are sure you can keep going for at least 3 hours or so comfortably (remember to walk for a bit if you need to and eat and drink what you need along the way) ... The adrenalin on the day will do wonders, too. You go, girl!
  • Options
    Tony M - Your 10k time was great. Well done! I find speed work the hardest part of my training. I'm fine taking it slow and easy, but when it comes to upping the pace, I find it really difficult to keep it up and get my breathing under control. In Spain we have a 10k run every New Year's Eve in all the major towns. The most famous one is in Madrid. They call it the 'San Silvestre' race. The idea is you run at around 10pm, have a shower and then go out celebrating afterwards. I was almost tempted last year, but ... maybe this year.

Re: the weather - as long as it's not too windy, we should be OK.
  • Options
    Hi folks First Marathon for me and any-thing between 4.30 to 5 will do me. Suspect this makes me the slow one on this thread. Live and train in Edinburgh so know the route well. Weather in June in Edinburgh is impossible to forecast. It can be freezing and raining or in the 70's with the sun beating down. Get a better idea nearer the time I hope.
  • Options
    Tony M - wd with the 10k time!
    and...I ran the Edinburgh Marathon last year, and it was HOT.
  • Options
    Good Luck GG, I think you will find peeps with all sorts of projected times here. Welcome aboard the Edinburgh marathon forum!
  • Options
    I'll be doing this as my first ever marathon too and am also a local so at least I am very familiar with the route as I run parts of it all the time in training. I'm often plodding along the cycle paths or down at Portobello prom.

Done 3 half marathons so far. Best of which was Alloa last Sunday in 1.47 so hoping to get anything inside 4 and a half hours for the marathon. I've managed up to 20 miles so far in training runs so I should survive.
  • Options
    Don - If you've managed 20 miles already, you should be fine. Did you keep on training as normal after the half marathon on Sunday. I also did a half on Sunday and am trying to ignore my stiff, aching body as I continue to train!
  • Options
    Haven't done any training since Sunday at all. Pushed myself a lot in that race but was well pleased to get a new pb out of it. Thigh muscles were suffering a bit yesterday but it seems to be more my calves today.

Will look to resume normal training tomorrow or Thursday I reckon.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I did 20 on sunday too, round the marathon route (minus the 6 miles around the centre of town). It was fine, apart from being clouted on the head by a mad woman down Leith!!
  • Options

I think it varies on when you can resume training after a long run/race. It depends how you feel. I find some stretching followed by a nice gentle half hour jog the day after is OK (and a bit more stretchnig at the end). I also think the advice in different training programmes can be confusing. Some say take a break, others not.

I know it was very hot last year but I wasn't there - I'm the weather jinx in Scotland!

And debbo - mad people in Leith? Surely not!
  • Options
    Debbo - hopefully there won't be too many mad punters in Leith on the 12th June, or at least they'll still be in the kip.

Don - was two minutes behind you at Alloa, for my first half marathon, so was quite chuffed at that. Did nothing on Monday, tried a reasonably high tempo threshold run on Tuesday but really struggled. Could probably have done with just a nice easy run instead. You live and learn!

RB - like the idea of the Bow Bar, but it's likely to be mobbed and, at the risk of being called a big girls blouse,I'll definitely be in need for a comfy seat at that point! How about the Standing Order on George Street, it's massive?
  • Options
    Hi all,

Glad to see more names joining the thread.

Hows everyones training going?

Managed the Stafford Half in 1:45:54 and hoping to go sub 4 weather and body willing. Anyone one going to do the South Cheshire 20 in May?

Also can anyone give me some advice on these camel packs, as I am think of getting one and possible using it during the race.

Many thanks in advance
  • Options
    Gillian I too am aiming for something between 4:30 and 5:00, did the inverness half in 2:10 which is a PB for me. This will be my first Marathon so to be honest i'll be glad to make it over the finish line in one piece!
    Training is going ok, the furthest long run so far has been 14miles but hoping to get 2 or 3 runs of 20 miles before the race.
    Bodge, I was thinking about getting the camelbak flashflo as it seems to come quite highly recommended by others on the forum, there's plenty of pros and cons listed in the best of gear section. I just intend to use this for water, not energy drinks, so probably wouldn't use it on the day.
  • Options

Hi Pobel

Did the Glasgow half last year in 2.14 and think I am a wee bit faster now so we are both in much the same position.

Any other locals run round Arthurs Seat clockwise and agree it is no fun ?
  • Options
    Tony - well, I for one am glad you are running it this year :-). I may even leave my camelbak in the car!
    Bodge, I do most of my training with a camelbak, and I think it is easier than haveing a waist mounted water carrier, cos it lies as close to the bodys centre of gravity. I think it was the March edition of RW that had a piece on those handheld water bottles, and how they change the way you run due to the bodys centre of gravity being altered.
    I have a one and half litre pak, and I can also squeeze in my wallet, keys and MP3 player.
    I hardly notice the weight, and I ran 15 miles on Sunday with it without any sort of chafing or discomfort.
    (I should get a job with camelbak)
    I tried a mix of 2 parts lucozade hydroactive/1 part water on sunday, and definitely noticed a difference in my running.
    Still, it all might be irrelevent if Tony brings the rain with him on June 12!
  • Options
    I may come up and run this one given my preparation for London has been interupted by a damaged calf. Wot is the course like ? Is it fast or hilly ? thx
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Hi Euro. The organisers have changed the course this year to make it much flatter and faster. As aresult they have invited loads more elites in the hope of a v fats winners time. All the elites are being paid wallop loads of dosh - hence the exorbitant £39 entry fee. I'm not sure if entries have closed or not, so better get infast! If you're going to "come up" I'm guessing you'll need accomodation, so get that booked really quick, cos Embra can be a nightmare of a place to try and find a place to kip.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Gillian - I prefer the clockwise run - I don't know why!!
  • Options
    Cheers running bhoy....luckily my brother lives up there now so I'll stay there. Yeh 40quid is a bit steep isn't it !
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Stalkerman - sorry. Forgot about you for a mo. Mrs RB and the weans are deffo coming through, so The Bow Bar is out - shame. Not sure about the Standing Order. 'Cos its a Wetherspoons, the kids will prob be allowed in if they are eating. Am now thinking about Bert's Bar in the New Town - excellent beer, kids allowed, and a nice little beer garden (might not be necessary but you never know!)
    Chuffed to bits with Bellamy! Lets hope that we can hold on to him.
  • Options
    It's good to read about the post-race drinking venues - something to look forward to and keep me motivated as I'm really tired and achey today. Also good to hear that the course is flatter, though I've never run Edinburgh before so I wouldn't know the difference!
    RB: Have noted your suggestion to book accommodation quick and will look into that this week. A nearby B&B should do me fine. Any suggestions?
  • Options

Must confess I find the post-race drinking venue discussion very interesting. All these bars that I know nothing about! And it takes your mind off the training still needed.

RBs suggestion of Bert's Bar sounds good. The beer garden will be useful as it will, of course, have dried out by the time we get there. As long as you point us strangers in the direction of New Town.
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Try www.edinburgh.org for B&Bs, hotels etc. From memory there is an accommodation link on the marathon website as well.
  • Options
    Yo!

Just had a great interval session on the treadmill, I was croooozing! Am I the only one who enjoys a good burn out???

Where the camelbak is concerned....I wouldn't do a long run without mine. I got a flash flo for christmas and I find it easier to drink from than bottles.

I have to say that I'm looking forward to training next week. The clocks go on again this weekend so I can get away from the treadmill and run outside again on Monday to Friday. I just hate the dark nights and having to run at a packed gym.

Hoorar for fresh air.....!!!
  • Options
    Hi everyone, im doing the edinburgh for charity. this is my first marathon and have been running for about 10 months now. I ran the liverpool half last week in 1:48 and have stepped up my training this week, did a 10ml steady yesterday and a 50 min hill session tonight. But i find it hard to do the speed sessions. Am I doing summit wrong or should I just keep upping the long runs and hill sessions? Any tips would be most welcome.
  • Options
    for me, if its marathons you are concentrating on I would stick to long runs. I think speedwork is useful, but with marathons its all in the legs. Its the legs that go, and all the speedwork in the world will not help if you havent done the distance imho.
    I am aiming to do a 15 miler once a week for the next 3 weeks (as well as my usual 6-12 milers two or three times a week). then up it to around 20 milers once a week for about 4-5 weeks. After that I may aim to do 2 runs at about 23 miles before the big one.
    Before last years marathon, I had mainly ran 10k and half marathon distance, and hadnt done anything over 13 miles in training. And I suffered...Everything went wrong at about the 16 mile point, and ended up walking a lot of the last 10 miles.
    Good luck anyway!
  • Options
    OK, I've got my flights and have emailed three B&Bs close to Holyrood Park ... Am getting really excited/nervous now. When I did London, I didn't take any kind of water carrier with me and just relied on drinking stops along the way. As it happened, this was fine, as they seemed to be positioned all the way along the route. What are water stops like at Edinburgh?

Keep the pub talk up and remember to leave directions ...
  • Options
    Hi everyone

New to this forum and relatively new to running.

Anyone else out there just focusing on finishing the Edinburgh marathon without a thought for times?

Well done to all of you with excellent times and results so far. Inspiring!

I live near Motherwell.
    Cheers
    Hazel
  • Options
    loaded,

Cheers for the info, I will be stepping up the distance anyway, but was just a bit concerned that i had read a lot about "fartlek" and speed training and thought I might be missing out, but I feel better now. Ill stick to the distance runs and hills for now and see where that takes me.

Hazel, my main priority is just to finish. The time is immaterial although a time of under 4:30 would be a bonus, but as im new to running I havnt a clue what i have to do get under 4:30 anyway!! So im with you on this one.

Good Luck All.