Options

Any Children with Leukaemia runners?

Comments

• Options
    Hello all,

Rio, I'm sorry, but you seem to know what you're talking about with all this running malarky. Should I bother turning up for this Easter Bunny jaunt, or will I end up with Easter Egg on my face?

I'm a five hour marathoner, for heaven's sake! You sound like a pro coach - are you?

Either way, I'm scared...I'm very scared...

Jill - I spent six happy months at TASC and can thoroughly recommend it to your lovely daughter. It can get a bit claustrophobic if you don't get off campus a lot, but then, Charlotte has lived in Marston Magna for years - 'nuff said.
  • Options
    No I am not a pro coach Octopus - I wish!!
    But I do have two Womens Running Network groups that I am the organiser of so have learnt quite a bit.
    I am a (hopefull) 4.30 runner this year but my pb is 5.25 so on paper you ar quicker than me.

come along to the Easter Bunny race. It is taking th place of my 6miler on Sunday and I wont be doing much else the rest of that week leading up to London. I wont be pushing too hard just want to run a nice flat( for a change) run at a confidence building pace.

Honestly there is nothing to be scared of you will have a ball on marathon day. you have trained you will do it! I remember being scared for my first time.
    If you have any questions you can ask
  • Options
    What is it that is scaring you Octopus? after all you have done it before
  • Options
    I'm not really scared of you, Rio!

I was just envisaging standing on the start line; one minute you're there, the next, Jill and I are standing there eating your dust!

I'm looking forward to it, really. Er...when is it?
  • Options
    Octopus you are quicker than me!!!!

I am a 10min mile girl really!! looking to break my pb of 64 mins (see not quick at all!)

It is 17th April Easter Bank holiday Monday!
    I reckon it will be a nice run. Be good for me to run a flat course! Though I find flat harder than hilly as I have no excuse to slow down and then be able to pick up the pace on the downhill stretch. It is just all out for the whole distance!!

I thought it was the marathon you were scared of!!
  • Options
    Nah...the marathon's pips!
  • Options
    At work now for 4 x nights. No training for me until Tues / Wed then I will try a 17 mile run to see how I am, then it is taper time for me. Going to sort out a menu for me for the next two weeks. Any nice suggestions out there?
    I dont want to get bored with Pasta, Rice and potato. Need some help to spice it up. Not to extravagant though please.

Just a couple for you lot to try.
    1) Jacket spuds but scrape out the potato and mix it with onion, peppers and cheese. Then put it back into the skin and cover in cheese, put it back into the oven until the cheese has melted and serve with a crisp salad.

2) A quick one for you. fry off some onions chopped fine in garlic, add a tin of borlotti beans, bring to the boil. Add 1/2 pint boiling water mixed with a chicken stock cube and a bay leaf bring to the boil then add some maccaronni pasta and boil for 10 min.

Good luck to all those on there last long run.
  • Options
    Sammy your meal suggestions sound good, I will try them. My problem is that I am so busy I eat on the go. I eat M&S sandwich wraps, smoothies and pannetone. Oh and banana sandwhiches, brown date scones with ricotta cheese.

Did my long run yesterday, just a slow plod with ipod. Managed 2hrs 51 which I hope was 17 to 18m.

Good luck everyone on the last long run.
  • Options
    Hi everyone, have just returned from 2 weeks in the states and really nervous as i have only managed one 10 mile and one 7 (at altitude)while i was there!!! woken at 12.30 last night with a jet lagged baby and have been awake most of the night in a cold sweat/panic about the marathon!!!!

Any training advice welcome, I ran my last long run of 22miles 3 weeks ago, and now wondering what i should run these last 2 weeks. Do I taper or do i try one more 12/13 mile this week and then slow down????

please HELP me!!!
    thanks
  • Options
    Lindsay, I think you should try and run 12-13 really slowly as early on in the week as poss, but really slowly and comfortably.
  • Options
    If you're panicking, so am I like hell!! My longest run has been just over 16 miles in very windy conditions. However, today, I have managed 13.72 miles in breezy conditions in 2:29:42 which puts my pace at 10:55 min/mile. Not too bad I suppose, it might just give me a chance to finish in under 5 hours which I would be so relieved to accomplish after so little training.

Just looked at the long range forecast for the 23rd and London is due showers with brighter intervals - described as perfect running conditions!!
  • Options
    Well done thats brilliant.. I managed 4!! and struggled!! What are you going to run over the next 2 weeks?

SO pleased its not going to be tropical.. I need the weather in my favour!!
  • Options
    Well done thats brilliant.. I managed 4!! and struggled!! What are you going to run over the next 2 weeks?

• Options

• Options
    sorry about my repeated entry .. I'm not very computer friendly!! on that note ..can any one help me with the image change.the black silhouette is start to give me the heeby-jeebies!
  • Options
    Last year the long range forcast said very strong winds on marathon day and it turned out tropical. It was definatly better the year before when it was quite cold at the start and rained persistantly.

No panicking allowed it uses up too much reserved energy.

We are so excited that we are in FLM, we spend so much time training to the best of our health and ability and then we all want it to be over as quickly as possible!!!

I'm going to get a Bach's flower remedy from Boot's, it is supposed to relieve stress make you feel positive and induce a sense of wellbeing.
  • Options
    Hi all- will join you at panic stations. Only managed 10 miles on saturday and left knee really complaining after mile 4. Think I will have to take it very carefully up to the 23rd -any advice? Keep off running altogether or just do 2-3 miles and the gym? Would like to have done more but after 20 last weekend I hope I have done enough! Have a good first taper week -would love to see some other final schedules for 4-5 hour runners.
  • Options
    Jill dont panic your pace is just fine especially in the wind. 11min miles get you round in 4.45 so you will be ok!!
    I have only done 18 miles and last year I am sure I did the same - not much difference really - havent hit the big 20 anyway. Did 12 on Saturday which felt quite comfortable in 2.09 in the wind too

Have my costume all sorted now. Showed it to my boys and the youngest said "What have I done to deserve a mother like you? You are mad!"
    But my best friend thought it looked great and I wont be missed anyway!

Tobes you are also going to be fine! My schedule from now until 23rd is
    Monday - 3miles with intervals
    Tuesday - rest
    Wednesday - hill run 3 miles
    Thursday - club run 6 miles
    Friday - miles
    Staurday - rest
    Sunday - rest
    Monday - 10k race
    Tuesday - rest
    Wednesday - 3 miles
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 2miles (maybe)

So nice and easy!!! Should be feeling nice and fresh and ready to run on Sunday then

happy tapering all
  • Options
    Rio - what is your costume?

• Options
    It is a bright orange tutu with cut out fabric Mr Men sewed on it - Little Miss Naughty, Little Miss Chatterbox and Mr Bump and 6 or so of the Mr Men toys that you could get from Macdonalds (like the ones in my hair on my pic!)
    plus 2 on my hat
  • Options
    You are a brave woman, Rio! Hope I see it on the day.
  • Options
    WEll my number 2 son asked what he had done to deserve me as his mother!!

Not brave octopus completely insane is more like it. and my friend says I will be completely un-missable in it!!
    Although being on the blue start you might!

Have to wait for me at the finish. - or maybe I should give it a trial run at the Easter Bunny on Monday?
  • Options
    Would certainly be different!

been for a plod round Cardiff park with my WRN group. I think they were all a little embarrassed they have an insane group leader as even on the very slow warm up they left me to run on my own in front!!! lol

Will take it with me on Monday and see how many others are making an entrance!!
  • Options
    Octopus - Have you contacted YRRC to find out about entries on the day? What is the start time?

Rio - Well you certainly will not be missed in your costume!! I think you are very brave, but your children should be immensely proud of their Mum's achievement. Looking forward to seeing you on Monday - I hope.
  • Options
    Yes Jill,

It starts at 11am. I'm awaiting a reply from Martin re. entries, but there's nothing on the YTRRC website to suggest there won't be entries on the day.

I'm looking forward to it, although I'm a bit sore after my last long 'un yesterday.

Better do some speed training this week - I'll get a personal worst if I trot round at the pace I've been training!
  • Options
    How far did you go? Your training can't be nearly as bad as mine and Tom's. I don't know what pace you have been going at but I reckon tortoise speed sums me up!!
    :-( :-"( (@_@)

Bet you can't guess what this is ...........

~// (^0^) /~/~
  • Options
    I did 22 miles on the treadie. Watched a whole Eastenders omnibus, half a football match and two shows about car-boot sales. Fascinating...

Training has been stop/start this year. I've done almost all my long runs well (including some outside!!!!) but midweek has been mixed, with speed and hill sessions suffering in particular. Consequently, I feel slow and sluggish, thus the previous posting!

I'm sure your training will get you through Jill, although I know you're concerned. I know that you appreciate the need for a 'slow and steady' race - your tortoise may be better than someone else's hare.

Tom's been training too has he? First I've heard of it.
  • Options
    Ha! Ha! very funny!

RU in school tomorrow for Health and Safety bit with our mighty head?