Options

BUPA Great North Run

Comments

• Options
    sbs - go to here and click the big orange results then put your number in
  • Options
    good point xl! i'll go do it with out year. does that work?
  • Options
    are you coming to derwentwater xl?
  • Options
    I'm a bit confused......was it you little sandra who i walked down to the start with mick the mackem, or was it another sandra???
  • Options
    26th out of 97 with the same birthday and would you know it - the guy that came in straight after me has the same birthday!
  • Options
    Just read through most of the posts. Couldnt get to the buses at the start saw alisonclair at the start but couldnt get through to say hello unfortunately. Did 2 hrs 23 well pleased. I am now in agony can hardly move, head is burning but I loved it and would defo do it again.
    So sorry to hear about the 4 people that died thoughts are with their families.
  • Options
    just done born in the same year but there was far too many to work it out!
  • Options
    I came first out of all the Antrobus well chuffed. Makes a change for me finishing first, helps having an unusal surname.
  • Options
    Glen - it was me... you are right though, there were two sandra's at the meet point but it was me that walked down with you and mick the mackum in his space suit! did you have a good run?

Di Rhino - pack it in! we are all hero's no matter which way we weigh up the stats!
  • Options
    Glen - on second thoughts. I'm suprised that you don't recognise me from my photo. I recognise you! hehe!
  • Options
    evening all, that took a bit of catching up on! nice to see some of you and looks like most of you enjoyed it. i was well pleased to finish before nell but turns out she's pregnant! overtook dermot at 4 miles but must say wasn't impressed by his bum! think alot of people went off too fast, i can't remember passing so many walking as this year.
  • Options
    bradnor - why were you looking at dermot's bum??? i have assumed all this time that you are a man. am I wrong?
  • Options
    An head like a telly ;-).

I really enjoyed the day but i have to admit that it was one of the least enjoyable runs i've ever done.
    I was on target up to about half way but the heat and the inclines and the stomach cramps and my right calf (at 11.5 miles) made it really difficult.
    I enjoyed the start and over the bridge, and seeing the coast, but other than that i was running from memory.
  • Options
    There seemed to be a lot more hills than there looked in the book or was that just me thinking that?
  • Options
    little sandra - yes I did spot the NSPCC cheering party & they me but I was so busy wving to them at the finish I turned away from my wife with the camera who was directly opposite them. They were obviously cheering louder than she was!

My post race blues are definately on the wane. I took a day off work today for recovery purposes (not really needed as it happens - no probs at all) & have been wearing my T shirt all day (the one I purchased with names on the back). Four people have asked me if I ran & chatted about the race. They were all great & I'm begining to feel really good about the whole thing again - have registered for early notification of next years entry. As previous entrants do we get any priority?
  • Options
    Xl and mick-i cant do the cumbrian run either, on hol for 2 weeks next weekend, looking forward to the rest! i really want to find another race sometime after i get back, any ideas.

i have gone a bit mad with the results thing as well, i was 2nd in my DOB (only out of 5 but still....)

just watching the local news earlier, they named the poor men who died, they were aged between 28 and 52, i can't begin to imagine how their familys must be feeling.
  • Options
    roy - yes. i think you get first refusal. shame that your wife missed you but hopefully the event photgraphers didn't. perhaps next time she will stand with the cheering committee rather than opposite.
    anyone know when the race photo's are likely to be ready?
  • Options
    i had to laugh on Sunday night back at our hotel. My boyf handed me some leaflets on local attractions - castles and the like - and said - "I thought we might have a day out tomorrow, it seems a waste to come all this way and not do anything".

Not do anything??!?!?!!? Anyway.... we went to the National Coal Mining Museum today and I spent one and half hours 140m below surfance walking round a 200 year old coal mine that in places was only 3ft high. very scary indeed!
  • Options
    Hi to all and a huge well done to you all. I haven't had chance to catch up with all the posts. My time wasn't as good as I thought - I was going great, until at mile 10, I stood on a bottle and twisted my ankle a bit - it slowed my right down. The heat affected me badly too - I cursed myself for not bothering to train when we had the 28-32 degree weather!! Anyway, managed 2:09:45, my watch was only 1 second out. I couldn't get over how many people there were - it was difficult to keep a steady, consistent pace.

The crowds were great, I thought the kids with the hosepipes were a godsend, and the man with slices of orange. It was so weird running the last few miles - all I kept hearing was "Come on Ali, you can do it", "Well, done Ali, nearly there now". It was so great.

I didn't hear about the fatalities until I got home late last night - it does kind of put a dampner on things. I can't imagine how their families are feeling at this moment - my heart goes out to them.

Sandra - sorry to hear about your knee - get to the podiatrist, I know I've harped on about them, but my knee was like yours in April/May - now it rarely gives me problems.

Take care all, and happy training for next year :-))))

I'm doing the Selby half in 2 weeks if anyone else is?

Night night.
    x
  • Options
    you assumed right little s! somebody (can't remember who) wrote in previous posts about how they were looking forward to seeing him in shorts! couldn't resist it and went out and did 4 easy mile run tonight!
    wanderer, your lot spoilt my journey home with the smash and grab act they performed at city!
  • Options
    little sandra

WOW - you and your fella know how to have fun!!!!!!!!!

after you put yourself through absolute agony he takes you to a bloody mining meuseum, jeez if i did that to mrs wanderer she have my balls on a skewer!! it would be a day of pampering and the finest resturaunt in town

:-)
  • Options
    Sandra - was that the Coal Mining Museum at Grangemoor between Huddersfield & Wakefield?
    If so one of my regular long runs passes there & I live about 3 miles away!

Although it's on my doorstep I've never been. Should do because my Dad was a miner.
  • Options
    Well done everyone. Werent the Newcastle crowds great. I have never felt such huge support for anything before. I was soo motivating. The people running out with ice lollies, and shortbread, and hose pipes, and playing music. They all deserve medals.

I am chuffed to peices, after all that whinging in the last fortnight I managed 2 hrs and 47 seconds (I couldnt quite make it through the crowds to do it under 2 hours when I suddenly realised I must be close and found some extra energy - I was too scared of knocking someone over as I sprinted past so I was zig zagging like a maniac!) First race, and first time at that distance, and way faster than any of my training times. Im sure it was all the excitement and energy from the day... and I was totally inspired by some of the messages on the charity t-shirts. we all have our own reasons for running/raising money but its so inspirational to see so many others.

One bad thing was my Dad was spectating at the end and saw someone collapse right in front of him in the middle of the crowd running for the line, he said it was awful - they were soo close to the finish (about half a mile) but they just fainted. There were loads of people on hand to help but it was also so difficult for the first aiders to get there because of the crowds. I really hope they were ok.

I didnt experience the trouble with the water running out but did wish they handed out smaller bottles or cups. I cant physically drink that much in one go or I gloop, and I hated running with the bottle. Where I could I gave my remainder away to someone. I really needed a top of water at each point though because of the heat. It would be only gripe I think.. other than that the whole thing seemed to be a huge clockwork machine.

Anyway Im off to get some real rest! Well done everyone again.. you're all stars.

:O)

• Options
    Evening All! So sorry to hear about your knee Sandra, you must get it sorted or it will just get worse surely? Not that i am a doctor or anything. But hobbling around the course can't have been fun at all... Not like a visit to the National Coal Mining Museum!!! Brilliant!

Out of all the women born on the same day as me i was the fastest. Ok, there was only 1 other lady, but still, its a good stat!

I am feeling very emotional today. Mum and Dad have bought me a bouquet of flowers and a congrats card and i started blubbering. What on earth has happened to me?

The Great Cumbrian run sounds great, but i have the Cardiff half the week before and a 10k the week after, even i am not that fit!!!

But those who can't make it, come and do the Cardiff one! Its on 9th October, is dead flat and you run into Millenium Stadium and do a lap to finish!

• Options
    I've still not managed to read every message tonight (nipped out to a friends for half and hour which turned into two hours!!) I've managed to flick through a few of the last pages tho.

Sandra - sorry to hear about your knee but really pleased you managed to finish. I had a headache too all evening yesterday - I thought it was because I was so tired but think now that the weather was the main reason.

Di Rhino - cant remember the exact times but I rang my mum about 15 mins after the gun because I hadnt even moved a muscle! I think 2hrs 23mins (ish) was showing on the official clock as I passed the finishing line although I ignored it and just looked at my own stopwatch!

Not had chance to have a play with the results yet but have got my position of 11885th out of the whole field which I'm chuffed to bits with (anyone know how many finishers there were in all?)

Bradnor - are you a fellow blue by any chance??
  • Options
    Sandra, the Mining Museum is just up the road from me! Really admire you for not giving up either beforehand or on the day with your knee - well done x
  • Options
    Hi Mandie
    38,006 if memory serves me right. Running Monkey posted it earlier. I have th edata, but not to hand to check.
    I was hoping 42,000 had crossed the line as that would have put me in the top 10%, but maybe that's just being greedy.

Your position is certainly well inside the top half of the field. Good reason to be 'chuffed to bits'

O'D I like the sound of a lap of the Millennium Stadium to finish. I am a big rugby fan, so tha twould be a huge thrill for me. Can't do it this year, maybe next year.
  • Options
    Sorry, missed you Saz

What a cracking effort, first half too - you would definitely go under 2 hrs in a smaller event. Something to go for. Glad you had a great day.
  • Options
    Roy - yes that's the one. How funny that it's so close to where you live.

Wanderer - i figured the excercise would keep my knee from ceasing up. As it happens it feels a little better this evening so I should be on for a good healing time.

thanks all for your positive messages. i've had mixed feelings about my run yesterday and as much as it was disappointing I do feel good about getting round. Just wish non-running people could appreciate what it was like.
  • Options
    XL - is 38,006 the number of people that finished? that's not very many if there were supposed to be 49,000 starters. where do over 10,000 people go? or did their chips just not work?