• Options
    I've done mine! It includes...

National XC Relay - Nov 6th
    Leeds Abbey Dash 10k - Nov 27th
    Maybe a 10k or 6 miler over New Year
    Brass Monkey HM - Jan 22nd
    Snake Lane 10 - late Feb
    Northern 12 Stage Relay - early April.

May drop in a few HM at Marathon pace as well as race prepartion.

Apart from those weeks lots of long tempo runs at just slower than MP.
  • Options
    RM
    it sounds like you've hit a nail on the head there, so you probably don't need my hammer.
    If you enjoy the social aspect of running with others, then you can't be too hard on yourself if the times aren't what you are capable of.
    If you want the times, you'll have to go for them.

Why don't you plan your calendar in advance and pencil some events as 'social' and one or two as 'races'? That way you get to find out what you can do, and you can prepare mentally as well as physically for these races, but you also know you have some that 'don't matter' as much to look forward to and enjoy differently.
  • Options
    BR,
    I'm exhausted just reading that post ;0)
  • Options
    Rhino, take it easy!

See you at BM in January.
  • Options
    Running Monkey - The EM is the Edinburgh Marathon. If I don't get in the London Marathon I'll go for the Paris and possibly Edinburgh. Never done a Marathon, but I imagine it'll be torture.
  • Options
    Goodbye Rhino - hopefully chat with you again.

Good luck in all your planned races
  • Options
    Sam - see I knew it would be obvious...

Having a blonde day Ithink - just had a plumber out to sort whistling water pipes that have kept everyone from sleeping all night....

....only to discover

.... it was the set of dead batteries in the exercise bike making the noise!!!

Gave the plumber a good laugh though!

Re marathons - have my application ready for the FLM. Supposed to be doing Abingdon in 4 weeks, but having serious doubts about my ability at the moment!!!
  • Options
    hi again!

thanks for all the very nice 'good-bye's'
    i've seen the 2006 thread so i'll see some of you over there .....

....in about 9 months!

xxx
  • Options
    Bye Rhino! Nice talking to you, take care!! xxxxx

I have sent off my LM application and am dead keen to start training. But am unsure of what to do - do i just keep plodding along and adding distance over the next 6 months, or introduce speed training to get quicker also?

My Garmin watch has a facility for interval training where i can set the distances to run faster with then a timed walking break, ie 8 x 100m sprints with a 30 second break inbetween, but am not quite sure what i should be doing...anyone got a good beginners training guide?

My 3 miles last night were good, ran much faster than normal and didnt feel rubbish at all during the run...i think my attitude towards running has changed since knowing i can do a half marathon...when i go out for my 5 and 8 milers i know i wil be ok!

Going over to check out the GNR06 thread and see whats happening.....
  • Options
    Hello all-"sad to say i must be on my way so buy me whiskey and beer cause im going far away" the pogues!!
    Yes I must move on now-It has been an absoloute pleasure to meet so many of you on this forum.Im more than chuffed that the gnr and this thread has inspired many of you onto greater and better things.Its amazing what running can do for people and what they can achieve,I found this out 4 years ago and ive never looked back.We all get a bit down at some stage but if you can pick yourself up and get out there to run,you,ll know why you enjoy doing it.

Keep the faith and enjoy your running.

Mick the mackem.
  • Options
    Thanks for the spreadsheet RM and your story about the Plumber just made me laugh out loud, what a scream!

See you all soon, hopefully 2006, maybe I'll get to put faces to names then. In the meantime, Ive not got too much planned, Dec-WSM Christmas Cracker, Feb-Longleat 10k, I'll have to get looking for a few more! But I only do 'events' with more than 1000 entries.
    I enjoy the social side of it, but I don't like too much pressure, I think RM and myself follow the same sort of approach, my husband has told me I have one thing stopping me from achieving more-my mind!
  • Options
    Well, it's certainly a lot easier to keep up with the thread now.

It reads like people drifting away from school at the end of a year.

I'd echo Mick's sentiments (Geordie agrees with Mackem in Runners' Forum shock!!) it has been a real pleasure.

Particularly good to meet some of you in person (Was it really only six days ago?), and I hope to catch up with others another time.

In the meantime, if you need a little motivational pep-talk, the camel's e-mail is enbled. Please feel free.

Good luck with your winter running, however strenuous you choose to make it.

:0)
  • Options
    Just a last reminder on this forum that the chat continues ( & pretty lively it is at the moment) at:-

BUPA Great North Run 2006 under Events.

Hope to see you all there.

Bye
  • Options
    running monkey - you bugger

Ive just spat chicken tikka massala allover the bloody screen

did the plumber charge you for having a laugh?
  • Options
    PHOTOS ARE ON ASI!!!!!!
  • Options
    will be doing GNR next year for charity for a change, Martin House Hospice, the charity that Reuben Wilson (28 year old who died) was running for. Went to his funeral yesterday, 500-600 people where there, very moving, and I think there are about 40+ of us who will be running next year.

Got a few races planned, not as many as Barnsleyrunner, Horsforth 10k, harewood 10mile, Abbey Dash and Brass Monkey so far and have sent off my entry to FLM so plenty to beat the post GNR blues.

good running everyone, just off for a steady 10 miler in the sun
  • Options
    Beders, I was moved by your entry.

Were the family able to find out the cause of Reubens death? Was it heat related or did he have a problem that he didn't know about?

• Options
    Ditto the same sentiments - brings it home doesn't it...

Wanderer - yes! Wasn't that folded up with mirth that he let me off the call-out charge!

Kewstoker - your hubby and mine sound very similar - he keeps saying the same things to me as well... wonder if they have a point??

Off to check out the photos on ASI
  • Options
    hi peeps!

sorry i know this thread is supposed to be left to rest now but after just scanning a couple of posts on the new one i just couldn't bring myself to post on it.

its much more friendly, supportive and chirpy over here

and when a thread is made with the purpose of moaning about walkers, why do posts off it need to be copied onto the main GNR thread. surley if someone wants to read a post moaning about walkers they can go to the moaning about walkers thread and there is no need to copy it else where in the forum.

i'm sorry for the rant, but i am a runner. i never ever walk during a run. even at my most injured times i never walked during a run if i managed one. on the 18th i had people walking infront of me within 200metrs of the start. i would never ever think of complaining about this. i had a really good day. i think its great that people who a few months ago did no exercise have got off their butts to mission around the GNR, runners, walkers or walk/runners. i admire people who have the courage to do something like this when they find it such a struggle. to be brave enough to attempt 13 miles when you've never managed more than 6 or 8. i'm really fed up that all this complaining is going on and on.

people got in my way and i'm certain i got in peoples way but you do not go to gnr if you want a clear run. its for the atmosphere, to enjoy, to raise money for charity, to encourage lazy slobs and other non-runners to join the world of running, to encourage and support people, to go out and do something good in the memory of a lost loved one. its no secret that this is a crowded event and so why is anyone complaining. its all about comradie(?). enjoying the big event together and raising money.

go somewhere else if you dont like the way its done.

anyway, sorry i had to get that off my chest. its really annoying that some people are trying to discourage run/walkers. these brave people should be encouraged, i personally cant imagen how hard it must be to battle on and walk when you cant run anymore, and blast back into run mode when your walk time is up. (hope that came out right)

getting to the point - i've done 5 GNR's and only once have they got my bl00dy photo!!!! and i had to dress up as mr tickle to get it!

(oh and to you moaners - i dressed up cos i got injured and yes, i started right at the back)

i'm going to search through the lost and found when i get chance and also look at everyone else's pics :o)
  • Options
    ooops - now i just made this thread as bad as the new one!
  • Options
    Hi Rhino - well said!! The other thread is generally ok - just the last couple of posts have really got me annoyed! I tried to be very restrained in my reply, but felt like telling them to b***er off!

I think peeps are moving over to the other thread now just to keep chatting.
  • Options
    i haven't read much of it to be honest scilab, just a couple of the posts and noticed the exact same post had come from the moaning thread to the 2006. i'm sick of hearing it all. the simple end to it is - if you dont like it, then dont do it. its never been made a secret thats its crowded and full of walkers, so if that kind of thing annoys you just dont do it.

discouraging peeps who are just starting out, in my eyes is unforgivable.

ooop - wibble, my sleeping tabs are just kicking in. night night. theres was something else i was going to say but thses start quite quick when they come and i'll props not make sense. night ngiht
  • Options
    kewstoker and running monkey, as far as I've heard it was 'natural causes' but the initial finding was that there was a scar on the heart, possibly a previous undetected heart attack, so it may be un undiagnosed heart condition, however they are making more tests on some biopsy's taken so we may find out more over the next few weeks.

funny how i had a pretty poor run last sunday, 1.59.07 with stomach cramps and very heavy legs, just glad to finish, yet today did just under 9 miles in 1.14 in perfect conditions, glorious sunshine, round a reservior which looked like a millpond , felt effortless like i could run forever, sometimes it really is good to be alive !!
  • Options
    Rhino/Scilab - the other thread has been getting a bit tedious with the moaners not letting the walking thing drop. The thing I've noticed tho (and its pretty obvious) is the moaners are the ones who have not posted on this thread.
    We seem to have built up quite a friendship/understanding/admiration for each other during the course of this year. Please join in on the new thread and stick together with us. We all have the same opinion and I'm quite enjoying reading the other posts knowing that they are wrong and we are right!!!
    I'm sure it will settle down and if it doesnt then we can all tell them to b***er off together!!
  • Options
    just back from a lovely 5 mile run, except for one thing.... i had to dodge round a walker on the pavement and ended up hurting my bad toe in the bumpy grass. i'm meaan- bl00dy h*ll. who do these people think they are coming out to walk to the shops for the paper so early on a sunday morning when i'm trying to have my run.

i'd also noticed mandie - that all the moaners were peeps who hadn't joined in over here.

i've looked through 2016 lost and found photos and have about another 2800 to look at. so far i have found my right arm sticking into the side of a photo and thats it!
  • Options
    LOL rhino!! You'd think they'd know the pavements are for runners only at that time of the morning!! hee hee *tongue firmly in cheek*

There are loads of lost and found aren't there? I started to trawl through, but gave up afer a couple of hundred. Must be really annoying if you haven't got any photos - I think I was lucky there. Hope you find something more than an arm ;)
  • Options
    I looked through about a quarter of the lost and found pics and then my comp crashed and I couldn't face starting again, couldn't find a way of going straight to page 48, had to start at p1 and each page takes a while to get doesn't it. must admit I said some rude words, but it still didn't work...
  • Options
    Can i stake my claim on this thread as a non moaner???

I have two pics on ASI but they look as though they are both at the finishline i.e when i'm at my worst!.
    I will try and find patience (not normally in my vocabulary) and trawl through the lost and found in the hope i find a pic of me during the first 7 miles i.e when i was flying!!
  • Options
    Ali - if you type in the page number and hit enter it should bring it up. i tried it and it worked.