Options

1500m training

Comments

• Options

My week - (pace of run in brackets)

<div align="left">M: 38mins (5:56), 36mins (6:40)<div align="left">T: 12M inc 8 x 4mins tempo to fast<div align="left">W: 41mins (6:24)<div align="left">T: 40mins (6:15) 33min gentle fartlek (avg 6:21)<div align="left">F: 39mins (6:06)<div align="left">S: 5.5 miles<div align="left">S: w/u, 10M race in 54:51 (5:29), w/d.  pm: 34mins (6:48)<div align="left">Total 72 miles<div align="left"><div align="left">Very disappointed with the 10M race, (but still a PB by a minute).  I thought that following my training partner would be brave but not suicidal - probably right, but he chose to follow the East Africans.  The net effect was running the first 2 miles at my 5km PB pace before realising the error of my ways and jogging back.  That'll teach me not to treat 10M like a 5 - 10km race!  I'm trying to get a spot in the GSR to make ammends, but not the end of the world if I can't get in.<div align="left"><div align="left">HC - I can't recall a nice Met League course.  Claybury had potential, but was rock solid when I ran there in 2005 and rutted ground was difficult to run on.  There was also my least favourate XC feature - a short, sharp downhill immediately followed by a 90 degree right hand turn.  From memory it was a 2 lapper, so if damp the route will be nicely churned up by the time the men come round for the second time. 
  • Options
    eek.  No idea what happened there!  Not liking this new text editor!
  • Options
    Ruislip was barely XC to be honest though, the tracks in the woods were so stoney and gravelly, in addition to which, they were barely wide enough to run 2/3 across, more like a trail race than XC. More bothered about my v.poor run though. Oh well, I'll run better at the 6 stage on Saturday
  • Options
    My week which broadened my racing experiences with my first ever ten mile race.

Monday - ILL

Tuesday - BAC club session - Pier - 6 x 5 Minute efforts with
    2.5 minute recoveries.

Hardest sess I've ever contested, the pace was furious cos I ran the first rep about 15 metres behind the three leaders and then tried to hold that pace throughout. I managed for the first three, then dropped back but still held fourth fastest until the last rep. AVG. 4th fastest and v.pleased with the consistent efforts.

9.75 Miles Total

Wednesday - 10KM Rural - 2 laps, consistent, steady/tempo run with plenty of hills and grass. Time not an issue.

Thursday - BAC club session - Track - 400 Metres x 10 with 100 metre rec. - 76, 72, 71, 72, 72, 71, 74, 73, 72, 73.
    Eased into the reps with a slow opener then followed team mate throughout all the reps and with the race in mind on Saturday dropped out with a planned 6 more reps still to go.

Inc w/u / w/d/ - 5 Miles Total

Friday - Rest

Saturday - Weymouth '10' Mile Road Race - 8th in 60:32 / 1st Junior Winner

Won back the entry form money from this one in the shape of a Debenhams voucher lol, bu all in all I was annoyed to lose the team prize by a single point to Poole Runners. There was a headwind for the first two miles and two big ascents on a hardly PB friendly course so I was actually v.pleased with the time considering it was my first crack at such a distance. Ran the first 5km with a team mate and two Poole Runners, however when my team mate dropped back I knew I was in trouble with the two Poole Runners, both of whom I had to beat to help win the event for Bournemouth. Surely enough they attacked relentlessly with the other resting up while I had to give chase. I knew I was being played but I had no other choice but to follow and eventually lost contact. When I went through six miles in 36:58 I knew I had an uphill battle to break the hour but finished v.strong, running the last three miles in just over 17 minutes to finish within 30 seconds of oen of the Poole Runners. This was the hardest race I've ever done and in the end it may have led in the shape of my voucher to my grandparents christmas present lol.
    I will fancy my chances of running a minute quicker on the much faster Wimborne course in roughly a months time.

Sunday - BAC Uni Run - 4 miles, v.steady pace and just what I needed as recovery from yesterday.

Weekly Mileage: 39 Miles Approx

3 Aereobic Sessions
    2 Anerobic Sessions

• Options

Good work in the 10M race, TIC. 

I managed to secure a spot in the GSR on the strength of my 10km, so keeping the base ticking over this week - paces in brackets where distances were known:

M: 40mins (6:15) 42mins (6:40)T: 40mins (6:15), pm - 3 x mile, first on trails around park in 5:20, then 2 on dirt track in 5:10ishW: 41mins (6:24), 43mins (6:37)T: 40mins (6:15), 12 x 400 (200m in 50 - 60s) in 68 or 69s, then 3 x 200 in 33 with longer recoveries as training partner unexpectantly continued session.  Very long w/u and w/dF: 41mins (6:24)S: 90min session covering about 15M.  Met training partner in Greenwich Park - ran 5M in 27:50 (including very steep hill x 3) as tempo, then 5mins steady followed by what was meant to be 10mins hard, but I only lasted 4mins - but it was 3min / km pace.  This is an area of my training I really need to work on - rather than collapse when I'm dropped, I need to fight on and maintain a reasonable pace with some economy.S: 11M including 10mins @ 5:10 / mile around dirt track - was meant to be and actually felt like threshold, pm 42mins easyTotal 92 milesIt's looking like my main base miles won't come until the new year - for now I'll keep my long run at 70 - 90mins whilst I increase the tempo work in the 3:30 - 3:10 / km range.
  • Options

evening fellas, thought for once i would respond to the automatic email notifications i recieve whenever theres a post on this thread. well done in the 10miler Laurent! that course isnt easy and usually very windy! will defo help you in the cross country races.

my training has been very inconsistent over the past 2 months for obvious motivation issues as my club-mates will know, drinking far to much and far to often and some minor injuries. JEJ- as things currently stand, i will also be at the GSR next week although i will not be expecting a repeat of last years 54:13, my aim is to go home with as many free stuff as possible. what time you looking to run? anyway, here is my week...

Mon - 52:20 run on the prom 8.5miles...plus bench press in the club gym, worked up to 5 reps on 60kg x 3, not bad

Tues - 6 x 5mins on the prom, lead the pack, right alright...loads of ab work in club gym afterwards

Wed - 45mins running then got bored and went home

Thurs - 16 x 400m (100m rec.) quite a lonely session, consistent 70-71 sec reps, last rep in 68.3 hurt very badly

Fri - Rest - CBA

Sat - 73:06 - ran to St Katherines Woods and did 10 x 250m sandy hill rep, followed by 15mins of fartlek of a mixture of hills and flat with efforts approx 100m in length

at night was our clubs presentation night, i got hammered and drank pints out of my trophys much to the dismay of many of the clubs hierarchy. pulled 3 girls in total and had many more drinks in Bournemouth where two of our U17s somehow got into Bliss and a great night was had by all

Sun - bugger all, just got in from a Pro-Evo marathon

peace out and cool runingsssss

• Options

McTag - Sounds like an interesting night...!

Re the GSR, if conditions are good etc, I guess a 32 flat 10km is 'worth' around 53 over 10M (and I usually improve as distance increases so should convert well), however my goal is to maintain 3:20 / km (about 53:30) with a view to determining whether that speed is viable over a HM the following month.  If I can't do it over 10M I'll obviously have to rethink my target.  That said, I'd like to keep up my year-long record of not being beaten by a girl (at running) which may change my plans mid-race.

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Looks like good training is going on

I'm back to building mileage back up for the next month or so too many niggles this year mileage is moving steadily in the mid 20s really need to at least double it before adding any relevant speedwork. Have started to do fartleks once a week now. Which i love

• Options

Pammie what are your aims for this season - distance are you focusing on etc?

Went to the track today to try my first 4 x 2km session of the winter. My aim was to run sub 7:30 but I manged this easily and so will be looking to break seven minutes per effort by the end of the winter season.

4 x 2KM with 4 minute recoveries

7:03, 7:04, 7:08, 7:09 (had to run the final 200 metres of the last rep in 34 seconds in order to  under 7:10.)

This was v.tough, perhaps more mentally than physically as many times I was tempted to settle with either a 1200 or mile effort. Glad I continued and finished a v.rewarding session. I suppose if you put those efforts together they would equal a 28:24 5 mile which I wouldnt complain about.  Lookin to beat my avg of 7:06 next time I do this session.

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

IC - Ideally still concentrate on 5kms really needed to lower the times this year has not been the best partly my fault  in that my training hadn't been consistant up to about march and i think i tried to come back too soon with doing fast quality type sessions without setting a base to work from. But hindsight is a wonderful thing

So 5kms will be my centre piece they'll be what i will be focussing on but i will enter some underdistance  races mainly 1500m/mile/3000m races see if that will help my speed. I daren't go any shorter. Plus it'll give me something different to try but obviously i know i'll not be at my very best for them without specifically training for them and you can't do well at different distances. Likewise i will do the odd overdistance 10mile/halfmarathon for the opposite effect. But again know that will not be 100% for those as well.

The main idea i have is to lower my shorter distance times i have a half-baked idea of a sub 20 min 5k (long term goal) then gradually move up the distances again as the times come down if tjhat makes any sense.

BUT - there is always a BUT isn't there. I have entered FLM, so if i make the ballot what i've typed above may not come into the equation (it'll be my third consecutive entry) so i guess only time will tell

• Options

A late post for last week - easier week after 4 weeks of building up mileage

Mon: 75min steady

Tue: 20min pairs paarlauf - 500m efforts each- did about 6 efforts, generous recoveries as slower partner than me.

Wed: 45 steady

Thu: circuits

Fri: 45 easy

Sat: National 6 stage road realys - ran 5.8km leg in 18:16 on leg 3, moving from 13th to 11th place - pretty pleased with the run - paced it well and got as much out ofg myself as I could on the day. Unfortunately, we faded to 24th overall by the end. I was 132nd = fastest leg overall, not used to that, a very high quality event!

May post my training before the end of this week, but off to Kenya for 3 weeks on Saturday and then may not post again till I return from that trip. Will be at 8,000 ft altitude so should be interesting!

• Options
    Ok, training for this week with today's run assumed that I will do what i have plannedMon: 40-45easy am; 1h45 steady pmTue: 1200m time trial in 3:23 (laps of 64, 68, 71!) followed by 40 min pairs paarlauf with 600m legs each, was on my tenth effort when whistle ended the sessionWed: 45min easyThu:40-45 easy - am; circuits - pmFri - 50 easy + a few sprints with walk back recs to finishSat: 1hr steady round several loops of small circuit inc long hill. 
  • Options

A week with no steady running, but with 1 session in particular I was quite pleased with.

Monday - 4 x 2KM with 4 minute recoveries.

7:03, 7:04, 7:08, 7:09. - Mentally and physically, this was a bit of a killer but I hung on to maintain some fairly consistent times.

8.6 Miles

Tuesday - Cycle Training with BUSA's in mind on Saturday. Did some hill reps.

Thursday - QP Hill Reps - 9 x 260 Metres - Stayed in and amongst the lead for most reps but died after the eigth and couldnt complete the planned set of ten.

Times were okay, expected a lot better - 69 (everyone really eased into the sess), 64, 61, 62, 63, 62, 59, 62, 62.

6 Miles

Saturday - BUSA Cycling Hill Climb Championships (Time Trial) - 90th out of 160 approx / 1 Mile in 7:51

When you consider I can cycle the 7 mile cat and fiddle in 24 minutes it gives you an idea about just how steep this hill was. It begin at a gradient of approximately 14% and got steeper and steeper for the first half mile before evening out, getting steeper again and by the time it got down to around 1 in 12, lactic acid had severely built up in my legs and so I couldnt gain any momentum. Felt v.weird being in a cycle race again and I was extremely nervous when they set me off the start. The one thing about time trials is you are always worrying about the person behind catching you so I was relieved to cross the line without the next man in sight. I havent done any proper cycle training for ages and nor do I want to but I enjoyed the event and think I'll do it again for a laugh next year but next time might try and break into the top 50 which would require a sub 7 minute performance.

5.5 Miles

Sunday - TRACK - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, minute efforts with appropriate recoveries for each effort

Ran well in the pouring rain and cold to produce the following distances -

1 - (330 Metres),  2 - (600 Metres),  3 - (900 Metres),  4 - (1100 Metres),

5 - (1300 Metres).

Wanted a 1500 for the last one but legs had started to hurt and so died a little after going through 800 in 2:37.

Finished with some 100 metre sprint efforts and big warm down.

Need to whack out a couple of long runs next week especially seeing as I got a 10KM on the Sunday.

Weekly Mileage: 20.1 Miles Approx

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Been steadily building miles majority under 70% whr) with a weekly fartlek session but had a race this week as well

Mon - 4.67 miles fartlek (2½-3miles off road- this i used for the fartlek)

Tues - Rest

Weds 4.07 miles easy

Thurs - 4.07 miles easy

Fri - LFOTM 5k 26:03 (1 mile warm up) 11 seconds slower than seasons best but no speedwork for a few months

Sat 3.17 recovery

Sunday - 8.14 mile long run not run this far since last years Dublin Marathon

Much the same this week except i have a 10k on Sunday

• Options

and so my dire training regime continues....

last Sun - Great South 55:52...quite pleased considering the abysmal conditions and that i havent ran that far in a very long time ie. well over a month! and beat my club-mate Mark Hargreaves for only the 2nd time ever which was quite pleasing image

Mon - 50:01 run round the park and 4 x 8reps on the bench press plus other weights in the gym

Tues - 10 x 3mins on the promenade, good sesh, running at the front as usual

Wed - REST

Thurs - REST

Fri - REST

Sat - thought id beast myself over this 10.2 mile route, took 63:08 which including WU and WD lasted a total of 74:32

went on the lash as well, got in at 4:30 and dnt feel to clever right now. was involved in a mass brawl in Bliss whilst initially being a peace maker, pulled a fitty, and woke up staring at a half eaten kebab, what more could you want on a night out!

• Options

McTag - I see in AW that Luke Kibet's last 2 mile splits were 5:14 (to break away) and 5:21.  A good effort for you.

As for me, I had learned enough after 8M (42:20), so wasn't too disappointed with the weather in the last two miles.  I had the pleasure to run them with Fernanda Ribiero - it says something about the conditions when you're running alongside a former Olympic Champion and neither of you can run faster than 6 flat per mile!  Trying to get a copy of the highlights - apparently it was mostly highlights of me, as I ran the first 8M with Yelling and Yamouchi, both of whom are over a foot shorter than me.

• Options

A heavy weeks training which produced two fairly disappointing race results but all in all a solid week that I think I will feel the benefits of in the weeks to come.

Tuesday - 10 x 3 Minute efforts on the promenade - ran well, mostly consistent - avg 4th fastest as is the current trend.

10 Miles

Wednesday - Double Session -

i.) 5 Miles (Track)  - Actually started to feel a bit delirious going round for so many laps lol. Started out as a steady run but I ran the last mile in 5:11 to complete the distance in 32:47.

20 Minute Break

ii.) Speed Session - 4 x 100 Metre Build Ups,  2 x 200 Metres - 29, 30 - felt like I went a lot quicker than I did, 3 x 300 Metres - 54, 55, 53.

8 Miles

Thursday - 4 x Short/Long Reps of QP Hill

First man home for all the short reps which I covered v.quickly in 62, 58, 58, 58.

Long reps were tougher but fairly consistent so I was happy - 2:07, 2:06, 2:04, 2:09.

6.5 Miles

Friday - Boscombe Pier 5KM - Race 2 in a series of 6

17th in 17:16 - got boxed in at the start and thus wasnt with the runners I wanted to be with, one of whom ran a 17:01 and who I beat with ease at the first race so I cud have missed my best chance to break the elusive barrier. All in all, endured a lonely time trial race and was quite disappointed even though it's not that bad a time.

Sunday  - AEEC Dash Back 10 KM

5th in 36:42 - Thought I had a chance of winning this race which included some v.good runners but no star names, went with the leaders for 4KM, then died completely - the hard weeks training catching up with me as I battled on trying to salvage some sort of energy to take me to the line in under 36 minutes. In the end I didnt but I wasnt really prepared for this race anyway -  cant harm my winter endurance.

Total Weekly Mileage: 38 Miles  (very solid training)

• Options

My week:
    M: 48mins steady, 36mins easy
    T: 10M steady (65mins), 9M inc 4 x 5min tempo
    W: 10M easy to steady - signs of sore throat
    T: 7M easy, track session but not feeling too good - session was 8 x 800 @ 2:22 with 1 lap in 90s as 'recovery' but I got dropped on the third recovery!  Ended up doing 6 reps but dropping to 600's for the last 3.
    F: 66mins easy, 34mins easy
    S: 40mins - included BPTT aiming to help pace a friend at 3:20 per km, but felt terrible and jogged back from 3km.  pm, 48mins easy
    S: 13.2M in 83mins inc 8M tempo, averaging about 5:55/mile on trails, over bridges, through narrow gates etc - actual running pace probably average 5:40 to 5:45.  Aiming to increase this session up to 18M with 12 - 14M tempo, aiming to get down to around 5:40 equivilant, although I can see it will be hard to judge this accurately given the usual training route hazards.

Just shy of 99 miles - still trying to shift this sore throat - the only thing that seems to help is running!

• Options
    Turns out my 10km time was actually 36:20 and I was actually 4th so that was more encouraging news.
  • Options
    Cool week with a v.proud cross country performance that made up for my disappointing race results last weekend.

Tuesday - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, minute efforts on the promenade - what an exhausting session this was - everyone was pretty much dead by the last rep which we competed in the style of a race, even though most of us had died by the 40 second mark lol. Didnt record all of them but know I ran about 1300 Metres for the two five minute efforts and nearly 700 for the last 2nd minute. A high quality aneorobic session - the walk home was tough.

10.25 Miles Approx

Thursday - 8.4 Miles inc 5 minutes fast in 70 minutes approx

Pretty much conversational pace throughout - just getting in some basic endurance for the cross country on Saturday.

Friday - Rest, decided not to run a day before race this time.

[b]Saturday - Hampshire Leagues Cross Country in Goodwood - 51st / 9km in 31:53 [/b]

Quality performance on a rolling, scenic awesome course that included some immense sections in the woodlands area, I ran my guts out in this race and it showed with a time that is good as any 10KM road effort I've done. I felt v.strong downhill and paced myself perfectly and had I been more confident of pushing myself for higher placings, I think I might have even come higher. 30 seconds faster and I would have made the top 40 and I think this is a realistic goal for the cross country season. Now really annoyed that I missed the first meeting because of work.

We did a near 30 minute warm up going over the course at the start of the race which I thought was strange but maybe it actually helped cos I felt hyped at the start.

10 Miles Total

Sunday -

3 Mile Uni Run Recovery - jokers pace - didnt really feel like running - mind wondered off on occasion.

PM - Track - 3 x 1KM - 3:24, 3:23, 3:13. - times were slow cos session was supposed to include 6 reps but some sprinters turned up so I didnt want to get in their way with them flying down the home straight.

37 Miles Total (For a race week, I'm quite pleased with this. Beginining to maintain steady mileage. Aso the rest days this week I think paid dividends in the cross country.)

Wimborne '10' next wkd, where I feel confident of breaking sixty second time around.

• Options

A good training week topped off with an awful race experience where I fell ill to an untimely stitch and saw my shoelaces come undone twice in appaling conditions.

Tuesday  - Speed Session - 2 x 200, 4 x 400

200 - 30, 32    400 - 67, 65, 64, 74.

Wednesday - 9 miles inc 7 grass in 70 minutes approx.

Thursday - 6 x 1KM - 3:30, 3:25, 3:26, 3:25, 3:21, 3:18 with 2 min recs

AVG: 3:24 - 5 seconds faster per rep than last time.

-Eased into the sess then blasted out some v.good times compared to last month and just got quicker and quicker throughout the sess.

Sunday - Wimborne '10' in 67:09?

What can you do when your body shuts down? Went through 2 miles in 11:51 feeling fine, then my shoelaces came undone, I got back up and I got the stitch. Just lost more and more momentum on the way to the finish line.  Think I'm finished with this distance anyway - for someone who is trying to run a 4:15, 1500 this season, it's prob too long even for winter.

33 Miles weekly Mileage

• Options

Kenya Training:

Mon (29/10): 37min easy followed by session of exercises (this is a long 1 ½ -2hr flexibility/core stability/pilates type session which is quite challenging)

Tue: session of striding straights, jogging bends for 16 laps on a 440yd track – total time 25:24 – broken into 6:30, 6:25, 6:20, 6:09 for each successive mile

Wed: am – 41 min progressive steady run (with a group inc Lornah Kiplagat), pm – exercises as Monday

Thu: 16x220yds (110yd jog in approx 35-40secs) – ave 34”, last one in 31”/32”

Fri: 47min progressive steady run, pushing quite strongly from about 25mins (am) shorter than normal exercises (pm)

Sat: 12 x 330yd (110yd jog in 40-45”) – all in 50-52” – ave 51”

Sun: rest

Mon: am – 38min easy (am) 50min brisk steady run (pm) followed by exercises

Tue: 10x440yd (60” jog) in 68-72” – ave 70”

Wed: 40min easy (am) 75min steady (midday) – a longer steadier than intended as my training partner knew the route less well than he thought! Exercises (pm)

Thu: 12 x 20m fast run up into 50m sprint up slight incline (walk back)

Fri: 36 min steady (am) 66min steady/brisk (pm) followed by exercises

Sat: 8x770 yd (60” jog) all 2’08 – 2’11 – ave approx 2’09

Sun: rest

Mon: 40easy (am); 68min progressive(pm) followed by 1st hr of exercises – didn’t do whole session as progressive run was quite hard

Tue: 6 x 1100yd/2 ½ laps (1’30 jog) in 3’10/3’10/3’11/3’08/3’10/3’09 – very pleasing session esp as track was still muddy in parts from the rain of the morning meaning I had to run wider than normal to find good footing in places

Wed: 39min easy (am) 76 min steady/progressive (pm) followed by exercises

Thu: 40easy in Nairobi – had internal flight that morning ahead of return to the UK on Saturday

Fri: - having found even an easy run in Nairobi almost impossibly crowded and unpleasant the previous day, I abandoned the plan for some 4min efforts and just did some core stability and circuit training type exercises in my room as well as some stretching

Sat: nothing – flying home

Sun: 65min easy back at sea level

Other highlights of the trip included meeting 1972 Olympic 800m bronze medallist Mike Boit, as well as several current internationals of different countries, and seeing a domestic road race that was of an insanely impressive standard given the hills and altitude the athletes were faced with. When looking at the times for the track efforts, the effect of 8,000ft of altitude is apparent compared to what I’d run in similar sessions at sea level. All in all a lot of fun and a productive three weeks 
  • Options
    HC - sounds amazing! 
    Were you staying?  What were the running surfaces like?  Did you go to an established training camp?  I'm thinking of going in Feb - my mum was born in Eldoret and still has school friends living in Kenya, but they've moved to Nairobi, so not great for training & I'll be seeking somewhere to stay up at altitude if I go.
  • Options

Was in Iten at Lornah Kiplagat's High Altitude Training Camp (highly recommended). My sister, also a keen runner, is a medical stdent and was doing an elective placement in the local hospital, so I went to visit towards the end of her placement and had a great time. The surfaces are mostly dirt roads which are quite forgiving to run on though there is also tarmac if you want to run some of your miles on road to prepare for a marathon. The nearby track is a rutted dirt track where you will occasionally encounter obstructive cattle! Perfectly reasonable for training on nonetheless. Many of the world's greatest distance runners have no problem with it! Roads get muddy/sticky when it rains but dry again quite quickly - there is one road out from the camp that is a bit more gravelly/rough, where people will go out and back if the other dirt roads are too muddy but weather is mostly fine there.

• Options
    Wow, that sounds pretty cool - how much did their training differ from your own - do you think it will be a beneficial experience in the long run.

My week was capped off nicely with a silver medal in the 12KM Zig Zags race and a £15 Wiggles voucher - so there's another x-mas present.

Tuesday - BAC Anerobic - 3 x 4, 3, 2, 1 Minute efforts - this was a session I suggested cos I thought it was more varied and interesting than the usual 10 x 3 etc.
    Ran consistently well and won all 1 minute reps, on the last set I was flying and when it came to the final minute rep, the race was won and I held off all challenges to complete nearly 360 metres on the road.

Thursday - 8.5 Miles inc measured mile effort in 5:10

The mile effort came after about 5 miles so I was pleased with that effort especially cos I didn't know where the finish actually was (I lost a bit of speed at the end.)

Sunday - Zig Zags 12 KM Race - 2nd in 49:26?

Can't remember the official time but my memory still burns with pain at the thought of this gruelling experience. They made us go up five of the things before a long flat stretch to the finish. I went off at the front at a fast pace with 'some other guy' but I was just settling into a rythm when we approached the first zig zag and I have never seen anyone fly so fast up a hill. I countered him for a second before giving up and setting my own pace. I thought I was a good climber but this guy really put things into perspective. As the gap between me and him widened so did the gap between me and the men behind me. I endured 10KM and four climbs by myself before coming home about 4 minutes behind the victor. When they put the medal around my neck, I felt for a second like a supersar but then I realised I had to walk all along the pier to get back into town which kind of dampened my spirits a little. In the end, it turned out I lost to a 31 minute 10KM runner who is also the World Duathlon Champion, so I guess there's no shame in coming 2nd to that kind of quality. I did this race cos I knew it was great hill training and I now feel v.prepared for next weekend's cross country where I want to break into the top fifty.
  • Options
    A beneficial experience in the long run - that's a terrible pun! Yes, I do think it has been and will be beneficial and I'd strongly think of doing it again next year. It's difficult to generalise about the Kenyan training - not everyone does the same thing. The general points though are that they love training in groups - you see big groups in fantastically well-drilled single file doing workouts at the track a lot. Their easy runs are very, very slow; they also often start other steady runs very slowly but they build progressively to something probably around threshold pace.
  • Options

My week last week:

Mon: 45 easy

Tue: nothing - had terrible diarrhoea on Monday night

Wed: as Tue

Thu: feeling a bit better - 40-45 easy

Fri: 40 easy - still having problems but running felt not too bad

Sat: Met league XC - 5th, was in lead group and feeling great at halfway but faded badly in second half - Don't know if I overestimated my level of fitness coming back from altitude or was affected by my problems earlier in the week or a bit of both. It wasn't awful but not quite what I hoped.

• Options

A few weeks training for me.  Not been great - suffered first with tonsillitis, then a turn for the worse in exercise-induced anaemia.  Sometimes I wonder why we bother!?

Mon - 2 x 41mins
    Tue - 41mins (felt very rough - only lasted about an hour in work before having going to doc)
    Wed - 76mins with Sam Farah 
    Thu - 40mins (6:15's), 9M track in 2 x 2km (6:28, 6:29 - felt cruisy) and a 400m fast (63s)
    Fri - 40mins (steady 6:15 pace)
    Sat - 50mins steady - was meant to be an hour but it didn't take that long
    Sun, 3M w/u, Stebbing 10 - 3rd in 56:24 (About 29mins at HW), 2M w/d.  Smooth tempo effort which certainly felt 'repeatable' - never felt tired and fastest mile was the last one in 5:18.   Course was fairly hilly, especially around 5-8M which stopped me achieving desired 5:20's for second half of the race.  First half was into a pretty strong (20mph) wind along very exposed country lanes, but didn't really bother me as I set off pretty slowly.
    Total <75miles

M: 41:30 steady
    T: 34 steady, 9 x 400 in avg 68-69s
    W: 40 steady
    T: 39:30 steady
    F: 39:45 steady
    S: 25mins am, travel to Italy, 20mins pm
    S: w/u, Trentino HM - 73:39, w/d  Race was up in the Dolomites - freezing cold, hilly and I could hardly breath - not enough oxygen!  Never manged to run at intended pace.  Splits from gps watch make amusing reading - 5:24, 5:26, 5:25, 5:17, 5:11 (26:44), 5:22, 5:39, 5:32, 5:36, 5:43 (54:39), 5:45, 5:53, 6:05 (these 2 miles involved the Nordic walkers and crazy paving - almost impossible to run properly) 1:14 (0.24M). 
    Offical 10km split 33:35 - shame about the second half.  Not fun!
    Total 63 miles

M: 5.3M, 5M (both easy)
    T: 5.2M, 8M inc 2 x 1200
    W: 13.5M, 4.5M --> Marathon training begins
    T: 6.4M, 9.5M inc 7 x 800m @ 5km pace
    F: 6.4M (decided to rest pm and ended up sleeping for 12hrs - really suffering with anaemia symptoms)
    S: 12 inc 4 x 1600m tempo, all in 5:17 - 5:20 range
    S: 2hrs slow
    Total - 92M

Things are looking up this week - first pleasing track session in a while last night.

• Options
    47th place in the Hampshire Cross Country Leagues and a distance run longer than I've ever been before have been the highlights of another good week.

Tuesday - 3 x 5, 3, 2, minute efforts - another sess I suggested, but this varied pace training seems to have had a mixed reaction among club mates who like to settle into a more steady (monotonous) groove. Very testing but seemed to go by quickly - ran very well and consistent.

Thursday - 8 x QP Hill Reps - 60, 61, 61, 63, 65, 69, 72.

Saturday - Hampshire League Cross Country - 47th / 9KM in 32:42

A cross country PB and a performance I'm pretty proud of. The cross country shoes seemed to make a difference and the fact that the course had a huge hill halfway through was sort of tailor made to my capabilites as I was able to push forward and overtake on the slopes. All good preparation for the counties, where I am hoping to get a position good enough to qualifify for the Inter-County championships.

Sunday - 14 Mile Multi-Terrain Run / Through Studland / 1:57
    Ran this tough but beautiful and scenic course with a club mate taking it at an easy pace. The wind was howling and the unfamilar distance started to take its toll but I am pleased that I went.
  • Options

Good Stuff TIC

Mon: 1h30 steady - a 1h45 planned run cut short by runners' trots

Tue: 40easy (am); 5x (1000 [100 jog in 45"],500) (100 jog in 45") 1000s in 3'03/3'02/3'01/3'01 - needed to go to toilet at end of 4th set so rejoined to pace training partner through last 400 of the 5thkm effort to a 3'01 - 500s in 1'28/1'30/1'28/1'28/1'22 (pm) 

Wed: 40 easy(am) ; 55-60steady/brisk inc 4 laps of a circuit with 1 long hill and 1 long descent (pm)

Thu: 55-60 easy (am); circuits (pm)

Fri: 55 easy plus 10 x 30m flat out sprint off 20m approx comfortably fast run up - walk back rec

Sat: 40min bugle fartlek on the track - fast sections at 5k effort, slow sections at marathon pace. then a 'polish fartlek' - began at start/finish line with 1 min of straight leg abdominals, then 30 secs to go, in outside lanes, to 1500m start where 1min burpees followed, 1' scissor runs on spot at 200m then squat jumps at 100m. A second identical lap followed, then after the 30secs back to the finish line, we ran 800m at 5k speed. This was followed by two more laps of exercises butwith 30sec instead of 1'efforts and star jumps instead of squat jumps. A further 800 at 5k pace finished off this particular torture. (800s in 2'31/2'24) Walking/jogging/sprinting backwards drills and hopping drills on the infield followed this. Then there was a 15min 3man paarlauf with 200m legs each. We finished with several short sprints reacting to the whistle from a prone position on the track on either back or front with either legs or head pointing in the direction of running.