Options

1500m training

Comments

• Options

HC - PB was 73:39 from last November so yes, almost 3 mins off.  Having said tha, given the course of that first race (and me being just 3 mins behind my training partner who expected 67 flat) the performances are probably comparible, even if the times suggest otherwise.  Felt 10 x easier on Sunday though - more like a long 10km with a relaxed start than anything else.  These 2.5hr+ long runs are changing me into a different type of runner.

It's my intention to take a rest week prior to Reading, aim to start off a little quicker (cut out those 5:30 miles) and kick much harder from 10M.  If I can get the mini-taper right and the weather is as good as it was in Wokingham, I think I have a chance of sub 70.

Even off <71 the Mcmillan running calculator, which normally works quite well for me from 3km upwards, now predicts 8:47, 15:20 and 31:50 - doubt I'm in anything like that kind of form off current training - I'd struggle to run 800m at that projected 3km pace right now!

• Options

Last hard week of training prior to easing down for the National XC.

Mon: am - weights; pm - 55 min steady on hilly circuit

Tue: am - 40 easy; pm - 2k, 1k, 2k, 1k (100 jog between everything, although mistakenly did 200 jog after first one). Times were 6'14, 3'06, 6'16, 3'07

Wed: 1h50 steady

Thu: am: 50 easy + hopping drills; pm - 30 easy + abdominal exercises (normal circuits cancelled)

Fri: am: 40 easy; pm 12 x 20 sec flat out hill sprints (walk back) with long w/u & w/d

Sat: 1x 4k, 1X3K (13'14, 9'20), followed by strength exercises then 2x8 min continuous efforts round a figure of 8 loop inc one short, steep hill. Between 3&4 figure 8's covered on each effort. Shortened Saturday session for those of us running the National this coming Saturday.  

• Options

M: (day after Wokingham HM)  - 5.2M easy (no watch), pm - 5.8M steady - felt fine
    T: 32mins steady, pm: 10M with 5M tempo (27:55) and 4 x 200m fast
    W: 40mins steady, 35mins slow
    T: <40mins steady (finishing quite fast), pm - 12 x 400 (200) (avg 70 - 71s) with long w/u and w/d
    F: 40mins steady, 35mins slow
    S: 32mins steady to fast with 5 x ~100m strides
    S: w/u, Essex 20 as training run (1hr58:19), 2M warm down
    Total 90+ miles, but satisfied with high quality component.  Amazed how easy that 20M run felt - looking good for marathon.

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Hi guys - just to let you know I've started running again. It's not very far and it's not very fast, but at least it's a start, though at the moment I'm at day zero.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭

HC saw your national XC result - congratulations, you must be really chuffed. I suspect that it was nearer to 10k rather than 12k must have been to your liking.

I ran six out of seven days last week (15-20mins) cumulating in 30mins at 7:35pace yesterday. However the knee is somewhat stiff again this morning. I'm hoping it's post operational soreness (5 weeks since the op) rather than underlyng degeneration but I'll need to give it a few days to settle down - all a bit worrying.

• Options

Tom - nice return to running - assuming you weren't pushing too much on that 30min run it looks like you've kept pretty fit.

HC - ditto Tom's congrats - top result.

Here's my week:
    M: 41mins + 35mins easy to steady
    T: 23mins quite fast (approx 4M - limited time in lunch break due to work), pm: 30mins easy, 22min hard tempo (4M) then 800, 400, 400 with group in 2:27, 69, 69 - 100m recovery.  Reps felt fast and flowing after plenty of tempo running in the day.
    W: 40mins steady, 43mins slowish
    T: 33mins steady, 4 x [1200 (200), 400] (400) in 3:48, 71, 3:46, 70, 3:46, 71, 3:54, 68.  Really pleased with session - felt strong and seemed to be flowing along like I was last summer when I was setting track PBs.  Only problem was in penultimate rep where I was fighting serious stomach issues and felt pleased to finish it at all, let alone in sub 4.  Last 400 was after a brief pit stop and weirdly felt like jogging - running sub 70s laps normally feels pretty much flat out in winter.
    F: 53mins steady, 40mins easy
    S: 2hrs steady over pretty heavy terrain, pm - 42mins finishing quite fast + strides
    S: 76mins moslty offroad
    100 - 105 mile week

Last big week of Feb and I seem to be coming into form.  Next week is a scheduled rest / taper week which ending with the Reading HM, my first all out PB attempt of the winter.  Hence this week's long run was a little shorter than recent weeks and shifted to Saturday to allow an extra recovery day.

Following Reading I'll be off on holiday for most of March - I'm unlikely to be able to post much (if at all) until after Easter, but hope to get some of my hardest training ever in during that period.  I'm pleased to see that the first SML isn't until May this year - I hope that will give me enough post marathon recovery time to start with a half decent performance, if not quite a 5000 pb.

• Options
    I went out a bit too fast, so was glad it was short from that viewpoint. In general I like the 12km distance so I don't particularly think that's more to my liking in general than the 10 1/2 or so that it was. Either way I was pleased with the result without a doubt. (45th for anyone lurking who isn't aware). Have to go now, will post the week in full tomorrow.
  • Options

Mon:  45-50 steady

Tue: 12x400 (100 jog in 35-40secs) all in 70/71", last one in 68"

Wed: 55 steady

Thu: 40 easy

Fri: 45 easy inc strides on grass

Sat: English National XC - Started out too quickly and spent the first of the 3 laps inside the top 40 before slipping back gradually to 45th. Could have run this better as the whole field slows during a National and if you are running even paced you usually manage to come through whereas going backwards I was slowing even more than the rest of the field. Nice to know I'm in shape for 45th in a National when I get the pacing wrong though. Incidentally, the course, although short, was a very tough one with one brute of a hill that would not have been out of place in a fell race.

• Options

JEJ - I'll be there watching at Reading as my sister is also running and it's not too far away for me to get to. Hope you have a good one as your training has a good consistent look about it.

Tom - Good to see you back running - it's always good to have you contributing to the thread.

Btw, 'more to my liking' in yesterday afternoon's quick post should read 'less to my liking' for anyone spotting the non sequitur.

• Options

alright guys, good to see you all running as fast as ever - what distances are you focusing on this season?

I've got three races this month to start off my track season -

march 16th - busa indoors 3000 - aiming for 9:30 and a new pb

march 19th - measured mile derby - race victory / time irrelevant though sub 4:50 would be great.

march 22nd - abingdon open meeting - 1500 metres - 4:25 - pb to start off what will hopefully be the year that brings me under 4:20.

should be a tough week.

Track Session today was  2 sets of 10 x 30 seconds w/ 30 second recovery - slight wind and on average I was covering rougly 185 metres.  starting to feel the speed in my legs, the endurance is there, just need to get faster. 

• Options

One last post before jetting off towards warmer parts of the world...

M: 39mins quite fast, 35mins easy
    T: 33mins steady, pm warm up, 8km @ MP, 1km normal, 3km 'threshold' in 27:53 / 4:30 / 9:58
    W: 5.2M steady (very little time due to work lunch and out for dinner)
    T: 32mins 'steady' (boardering on fast), easy track session of 6 x 300 (100) relaxed strides - 51, 50, 49, 49, 47.  Feeling quick.
    F: 35 - 40mins easy
    S: 5M steady with strides
    S: Reading HM in 71:00.  No time or space to warm up and never had a chance to relax / sit in with a group.  Felt more like fartlek with mile splits between 4:47 (12 to 13M) and 5:50 (7 to 8).  Really didn't enjoy the race until the end was in sight.  Only positives to take away were 16:0x for last 5km and feeling absolutely fine at the end. pm: 5M steady in 32mins.
    Total 72 miles

TIC - I'm training for the London marathon, after which I'll take 10 - 14 days of down time before focussing on 5000m (attempting to run 15:00), for which I'm likely to run at least 1 x 1500 / mile race and 2 or 3 x 3000m races. Will also look out for at least one 10,000m with a target time of 31:00.

• Options

Missed you going past yesterday, JEJ, as was watching other side of road for my sister's approach to the finish.

TIC, hoping for 14:15/30:00 at 5/10k this summer.

Last week

Mon: am - weights; pm - 54 steady on hilly circuit

tue: 35-40 easy; pm - 6x1600 (100 jog in 45" max - 2 min between 4th and 5th for toilet stop) in 5'09/5'05/5'07/5'10/5'10/5'05

Wed: 1h46 steady

Thu: am - 45-50 easy; pm - circuits

Fri: am - 40easy; pm - 15x25 sec hill efforts (walk back)

Sat: 2hr session beginning with 30min bugle fartlek at 5k/10k & slow steady run pace, followed by Polish fartlek (see previous posts), 800m was in 2;22, exercises were press-ups, abdominals, burpees & standing squats. Then strength exercises and drills followed by 2man paarlauf with 400m legs (5 each), more strength exercises, then 5 min treilauf (200 m legs), 1 more leg strength exercise, then sprints from prone position on the track to finish. 

• Options

Christ those mile efforts were fast - good stuff.

My Week -

Monday - Speed Endurance - 2 sets of 5 x 400 Metres w/ 40 secs rec

1st set - 72, 73, 74, 74, 76.    2nd set - 75, 75, 76, 76, 75.

Recovery was too short for this one - going to do a whole set of 10 tmr but increase the recovery to about 60 secs.

Tuesday - Steady - 8 Miles

Thursday - Hills - 12 x 319 Metres - avg 65 approx - on the 11th rep I whacked out a Pb in 55:72

Friday - Speed - 7 x 300 Metres w/ 2 min recovery - 48, 49, 50, 50, 51, 53, 54.

another hard session despite the rest in between.

Sunday - just about to go for a steady 6 miler with some hill efforts thrown in afters.

Weekly Mileage - 27 Miles Approx

• Options

Last hard week of training before easing down again for intercounties

Mon: Weights (am) ; 54 min steady on steep hilly circuit (pm)

Tue: 40 - 45 easy (am); (pm) 25 x 400 (20" recovery) - all in 72-74" with last one in 71" - pleased with this as the weather turned really foul about 1/3 of the way through the session with cold rain and strong gusts of wind.

Wed: 1h45 steady with last 30min brisk - starting to get light enough after work that I could do most of it off-road

Thu: 50 easy (am) ; circuits (pm)

Fri: 40easy (am); 12x30" hill efforts (walk back recovery) (pm)

Sat: road efforts '3k', '3k', '4k' in 9'14, 9'06, 13'03, then 5mins on short loop with one steep hill, sprinting up the hill, easy on rest of loop. Only did the first hour of the session with intercounties seven days away.

A good week of training - very pleased with this following on from a good National and with an easy week coming up to be fresh for the intercounties.

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭

Hello again, sorry to have missed your 71:00 effort JEJ,  I hope you're not going to be haunted by the spectre of a sub 69:59.

HC, best of luck on Saturday, hopefully all this wind will dry out the course at Wollaton, which should suit you. Which county are you running for.

Sadly my injury problems are still unresolved, and I have had to stop running again - again! never really restarted. I've got a couple of consultations this week which may point to some light at the end of the tunnel (oncoming train and all that). Joking aside, it's all a bit disheartening.

• Options

Merseyside is my county. I ran a good race at Wollaton Park last year when conditions were particularly muddy so I'm not too bothered if it dries out or not. I feel fit at the moment and think I'll run well on anything if I'm in good enough shape!

Sorry to hear about the injury reoccurrence.

• Options

Tom - Sorry to hear about your injury problems.  I'm sure sub 70 will come soon enough - I think I'm in that shape now but just need to get the tactics right.

I'm putting in some pretty hard training at the moment on my 'holiday'.  Today I ran semi-tempo at 9000+ ft.  I've been sleeping and training between 8 and 8500ft for a week now, so starting to feel normal.  Just the 3rd and 4th minute of each run seems really tough - after that it's ok.  Training is mostly 60 - 90mins in the morning and 30 - 60mins evening.  Conditions are perfect - I haven't seen a cloud in 10 days.

Good luck at the intercounties, HC 

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭

JEJ are you on a training camp or just holidaying iin the Rift Valley?

HC:  I watched the Intercountes on Sky today. Saw a few Merseyside vests to the fore in the Senior men's. Humphreys looked as if he was out for a tempo run.

My consultations this week ranged from the sublime to the ridiculous - as follows:

Ridiculous: Don't consider serious running  for at least another four months - NHS surgeon

Sublime: work hard on a coordinated strengthening program to stabilise the knee and gradually introduce easy runnning in about ten days time, then just take it as come - Mark Buckingham, sports therapist t the British Olympic team.........

....so it's back in the box for another ten days.

• Options

Tom - I'm on holiday in Addis. 

Randomly amongst my training partners is an American guy from Oxford Uni who I was running alongside for much of Reading HM.  For all recent runs we've been joined by a 16 year old kid who's more than happy to run 100+ mpw and a 64min HM (at 8600ft) guy who are showing us around the various routes.  I've just learned this morning that Haile G and Geeta Wami live a couple of hundred metres from the hotel I'm staying at, so can't be a bad location for $10 per night!

• Options
    Low Mileage week - was saving myself for BUSA Indoors but in the end had too many deadlines so had to postpone. The my mum got a call back home that I had in fact qualified for the InterCounties Cross Country, so two races really that came at the wrong time. To be honest thought 12KM will have felt like too much at the moment.

Tuesday - 3 x 1KM w/2 min recoveries - 3:06, 3:12, 3:19. - Should have gone slower on the first and settled for 3:10 to make them all more consistent - but got a little carried away.

followed by 3 x 200 Metres w/200 Metre walk rec - 30, 30, 30, - about 85%, jogged the bend , got faster and faster towards the line.

Thursday - 4.8 Miles in 31:29 - steady first lap, tempo second.

Saturday - 2 sets of 3 x 300 Metres w/ 3 min recovery and 9 minute rest between sets

borrowed out of seb coe's training log, there were lashings of rain and a heavy headwind on the finishing straight so I was quite pleased with times.

First Set - 47, 47, 47,
    Second Set - 45, 47, 48.

Want to get my average down to 4 minute mile pace in future sessions.

Sunday - 4.8 Mile recovery in 34:40 - consistent laps.

Mileage: 17 Miles Approx (would have been more had I not been saving myself for most of the week for race at the weekend.)

• Options

V frustrating & disappointing race at Wollaton on Saturday - felt good going into it as well:

Mon: 45 mins steady on hilly circuit

Tue: 5 x 600 (100 walk in 1') in 1'44,1'43,1'43,1'45,1'45 then 5 mins rest followed by 3 x300 all in 47" with 2' rest between

Wed: 60-65 min steady

Thu:45 easy

Fri: 40-45 easy inc strides

Sat: 68th in Intercounties, went out more sensibly than National XC as I intended but just never came through the field. Relative to my fitness going in, it's probably my most disappointing performance in a big national XC event.

XC season had one big highlight in the National and a series of performances never quite up to what I thought I was capable of.  

• Options
    Hi guys i am heading on to the track for the first time since running. I will be running an 800m and 1500m race in april and 3000m race in june to start things off. Would you guys have any specific training for these sort of distances.

I have ran a few time trails on the tremill so want to beat these time when i come onto the trace. I ran
    1600m 5:00
    3000m 9:43

And help appreciated. Cheers ALan
  • Options

I can offer you some sessions used by El Garouj and Coe but I'd still reccomend short, fast hill reps and long, steady hill reps as the fastest way to improve speed.

Track (Speed Endurance)

6 x 600 Metres @ 3KM Pace w/ 2 min recs

6 x 500 Metres @ 3KM Pace w/ 2 min recs

10 x 400 Metres @ Mile Pace w/ 1 min rec

6 x 800 Metres @ Mile Pace w/ 3 min rec

Track (Speed)

2 sets of (3 x 300 Metres) w/ 3 min recovery and 9 min rest between sets

4 x 400 Metres @ 800 Metre pace w/ 5 min recs

2 x 200, 4 x 400, 4 x 200 @ 800 Metre pace all w/ 3 min recs

Hills:

Negative Intervals - 5 mins, 4 mins, 3 mins, 2 mins, 1 minute - becoming progressively faster towards the end.

10 x 300 Metres or something similar.

I've tried out most of these sessions and I find them rewarding - could be of some help.

I've had a dissapointing week -

missed midweek mile due to deadlines.

1500 Metre race was cancelled on Saturday due to the weather.

Had rested up for them both especially so have faced my lowest mileage week ever with little to show for it.

Thursday: 4 x 2 mins hills @ wollaton park followed by some short hill sprints and steady running - 3 Miles Approx

Saturday: meeting was cancelled so went on the track and did 5 x 200 Metres in 30-34 - cold, snowy, wind after a while gave up.

PM - went on the trainer and did a tough session - 4 min warm up, 8 mins hard, 8 mins steady, 5 minute warm up.

• Options
    JEJ- didn't realise you were training with Garrett. Top lad!
  • Options

HH - yup, after a random chat at the Reading HM we've been living in the same neighbourhood for the last couple of weeks and have done 99% of the same training. 

Missed my connecting flight and currently stuck in Dubai - at least they have broad band so I can catch up with my training log...  Assume all runs are very hilly unless otherwise stated!

F: arrive in Addis, 5M easy.  Felt good
    S: 75mins steady, 30mins easy
    S: 66mins steady, 30mins easy
    M: 90mins steady, 30mins easy
    T: 70mins inc intervals on dirt track, 30mins easy
    W: 70mins steady, 54mins easy 
    T: 60mins up mountain, 35mins easy
    F: 81mins steady to fast, 35mins easy
    S: 37mins easy, 45mins easy
    S: 2hr 15 easy to steady, 30mins easy
    M: 60mins flat grass, 35mins easy
    T: 2 x 1600, 10 x 300 fast, 30mins easy
    W: am - stuck in bed with stomach bug, pm - 52mins slow
    T: 2M, 1M, 1M on dirt track, 35mins easy
    F: 56mins XC loop
    S: 3hr run / walk up mountain to 9400ft, 25mins easy
    S: 7M finishing fast - flight home

Quite good in terms of time on feet but mileage nothing special and not as many long runs as I'd like.

Got a horrible feeling that I'm going to pick up some nasty bug from these flights / hanging about at airport / missing a night's sleep.  Glands already feel swollen and people around me sound like they're dying!  If that is the case at this stage it's bye bye London marathon.

• Options

Hmmm, hope you don't miss the marathon with the form you've been showing JEJ

My week

Mon:am - weights; pm 52 min brisk

Tue:am - 40 min easy; pm -  5 x 2k (100m walk in 1min) 6'16, 6'14, 6'13, 6'22, 6'32 - maybe one too many reps a few days after the intercounties

Wed: 1h35-40 steady

Thu: am - 35-40 easy; pm - 5x1200 (100 m walk in 60-70") in 3'41, 3'38,3'38, 3'44, 3'42

Fri: am - 40easy; pm - 12 x 35" hill sprints (walk back recovery)

Sat: 16x400 (mostly 69-70" one each in 68&71- recovery varied between 40-55") followed by strength exercises (abdominals, press ups, leapfrogs etc). Finished with 16x300 (40-55" recovery) , first couple in 56" as legs still heavy from exercises, then mostly 52" with occasional 51" efforts. Very windy all the way - good session. 

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Hello everyone

Just popping in to say hi ant posted in ages here have been marathon training, though not very well. But i have got a little taste of mile racing and hoping to get into some track races and of course this will be all completely new to me so will have many questions

Been looking at training plans etc and the more i read the more questions i have lol

Anyway since the mile race some of us did last september i've done 2 more both the same time 7:43, not very fast but of no speedwork whatsoever and in normal running shoes so know i can get quicker

So looking at what to do
    no of speed sessions to do each week
    i reckon my base is sound approaching 500 miles this year

From others i've spoken to i've heard the words plyometrics, any good, how often
    Weight training esp low body good idea/bad idea

I don't really want to drop my mileage too much if at all as i believe (and have been told) it helps me to remain stronger in races

I think thats all for now

• Options

Alan, not much detail given about your running background in your post but from the two times given, the relative endurance from the 1600 to the 3k seems reasonable. I'd suggest you probably want to introduce some specific work aimed at the sorts of distances you'll be racing for which it's best to go on the track, or at least somewhere you can do repeatable efforts over distances where you can compare the times. If you look at the Serpentine website and the collection of coaching artiocles by Frank Horwill and back through this thread at some of the training done at this time of year and into the summer months for the track season by various people, there are some good ideas.

Pammie, I've found finally getting the hang of free weights this winter really good for all-round strength and leg strength in particular to improve my speed. I've also worked on and improved the distance I can hop on each leg, which is quite specific to sprinting speed.

It depends how many training sessions a week you are doing though as to whether it's worth swapping one of the sessions for a weights session. Some hopping at the end of one of your running sessions might improve running-specific leg strength without compromising the running part of the training.

The other thing about the short middle-distances is that you need more races in a short period to come to a peak than at the longer distances, so getting out there to race regularly is important for improvement over the summer.

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Thanks HC

I try and run most days, all have been relatively easy base building at the moment. Sometimes its dependent on work but i have a handy work rota work 6 out of 7 nights then i have 7 nights off. So get to do most of the longer runs in that time

And thanks for the tip about racing regularly a point i hadn't considered, How often do you (or any of the others race)