Options

How hard should you run ?

Comments

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Pantman, please don't be offended if I say , that despite the assertion of your last paragraph, I find your approach to running a little too intense, even by my obsessive standards. I'd be better pursuaded if you could temper your focused view with just a hint of the sense of absurdity of it all.

When you use the phrase "pursuit of excellence" do you mean excellance as some Nirvana state of performance, or just doing the best with what you've got. This diffence and how it relates to your perception of yourself is at the heart of Themoabird's arguement (I think). If its the former, then you're likely to be doomed to disappointment even before you start.

Next, I really can't let you get away with the following: "To my mind, the "a little of what you fancy" approach is certainly the healthiest approach to life. Running a bit, doing other sports, a bit of this and a bit of that. But it also leads to a life of anonymous mediocrity". It could also be viewed as the components of a well rounded, active, interesting and fulfilled life - hardly anonymous mediocrity. An interesting and well rounded person is rarely regarded as mediocre - especially to the poeple around him.

However what does make me feel uneasy is "The "pursuit of excellence" is another approach and one I aspire to and encourage my children to embarce too". I do hope that your encouragement of your childrens pursuit of excellence leaves them time to develop a healthly well rounded and questioning interest in the miriad of fastinating things that the world has to offer. It good when your children take on your values, but it is best done by absorbtion rather than having them forced upon them. At certain ages children will do things out a desire to please their parents, rather than because they actually want to do them themselves. I've got this image of your household peopled by chess players, gymnasts, swimmers, athletes, violin players etc, all faithfully doing their 1-2 hours practise every day because they have to. Tell me I'm wrong and that its full of cardboard cut outs, paints and crayons, books, CDs, and questions and arguements and opinions.

Oh and by the way Rod Dixon was a sub 4min miler who ran a world class marathon, as did Eamon Martin (I think?)
  • Options
    Do you think that someone could run sub 3:00 off less than 80 mpw?
    Friend (M, 22) ran 2:44 last yr's FLM off a LONGEST week of 54m. grrr.
  • Options
    'I for one LOVE running. But there are days when it is not fun.'

The only time I don't enjoy running is when I'm injured (eg last week went out for an 8-miler; at 4m had to stop & walk back because every step was mucking up achilles further & i want to get back to training properly ASAP. Not enjoyable). 'Fun' might not be the operative word all the time. But I would say I even enjoy the throwing-up-on-finish-line etc. bits, because it is feedback telling me I have pushed myself as far as I can. & that makes me happy.
  • Options
    I can almost feel the keyboard being pummelled in Kent as we speak...
  • Options
    themobird - I hope I haven't given the impression that I am a narrow-minded obsessive. I certinaly don't regard myself as such, though I do have some admiration for others that are that way inclined. I've done plenty of other things in my life - as I'm sure all the other posters on here have.

For example, for many years I played in a band. Sometimes I would go down to the track to do and interval session then go straight off and play a gig in some stuffy, smoked-filled pub. I used to do a track race on a Saturday afternoon then stay out till the early hours and be up at 8am to run 15miles with a hangover.

Running certainly hasn't stopped me from having an interesting and enjoyable life. I once got it into a fight in a race. I pulled someone from a burning car when out on a late night run. I've found £10 twice while out running. I remember once doing a runner from an Indian restaurant with a group of mates that included 10.4 100m guy and a sub-4min miler - I'm not boasting about it but at the time we were all p!ssed and it seemed hilarious. I've made many friends through running and have some wonderful memories. And of course running keeps me fit and healthy, even if I don't run as fast, as long or as often as I used to.

I've got a degree, a good job that I enjoy and I family that I love. I've done loads of things PLUS I've done a lot of running. And to be perfectly frank it's not really that difficult to fit in enough running to reach a decent standard. Most people have at least a preiod in their life when they would be able to devote a fair amount of time to running and I think that if anyone wants to run as fast as they can at a given distance then that is a worthwhile goal to have.
  • Options
    I reckon that about 80% of the male population under 30 could run a sub-3hr marathon on less than 80mpw. And I think that the percentage of people doing that sort of mileage who can't run that fast is very, very low.
  • Options
    Well, what % of the female population do you reckon could run say sub-3:30 off 80mpw then?
  • Options
    Mediocrity? Running's important to me as part of who I am. But I'm NEVER going to be outstanding, regardless of training (am dyspraxic). I could I suppose reasonably claim to be the British Universities Mara & Ultra Dyspaxic Women's Champ. at the moment, but that's a bit pointless since there'd just be me in it. Given circumstances I think I'm bl00dy lucky to be running at all.
  • Options
    My favourite sport is orienteering - I wonder if any of you have considered trying it?

By its very nature, orienteering doesn't lend itself to PBs. Course length, course difficulty and terrain are never identical, so competitors have to treat each race individually. Does this "competing against yourself" kind of mentality sound appealing to you guys? Or would you rather have a more tangible target to aim for?

By the way, this is not to say that it's not a competitive sport - I still love beating other people ;-)
  • Options
    Bazza - I've still not managed it & tried 3 off that sort of training (10+ 70m weeks as well as rowing training). Point proved?

Tom - I'd like orienteering, but have 'issues' with maps, telling right from left...
  • Options
    Perhaps you're one of the 20%?

:)

and i'm sure you've enjoyed trying! (though personally I'd avoid the rowing when training for a marathon).
  • Options
    Going back a long way in the thread, to the point about what you do when you have reached the best you are realistically going to achieve and start to decline - to me that's one place where running as a team sport has a lot to offer. You can enjoy being part of a club team even after you are past your very best. There are plenty of guys at my club who ran their best times 20 years ago but still enjoy running in club competitions and train hard.

Tom, I find your criticism of Panto a bit unfair. I would agree that it is taking a huge risk with your children's psychological well-being to bring them up thinking that it is only if they do brilliantly at something that they are worth anything, but I don't believe that is a necessary corollary of teaching them that it is worth making sacrifices in order to do something exceptionally well, if you feel that it is worth doing exceptionally well.
    Or that it is worth aspiring to achieve something out of the ordinary, and that while there are a million interesting things you could do, if you don't concentrate on one or some, you may not get much satisfaction out of any, let alone be able to excel.

More broadly, I don't think you do children a favour in the final analysis by never demanding anything of them; if you don't, they tend not to learn to demand anything of themselves, which is not helpful in adult life.

Also: if you throw away the TV and computer games, you can have a house peopled with musicians, athletes etc but also paints, crayons, CDs, arguments, different viewpoints and values; it doesn't have to be one or the other.
  • Options
    Gave rowing up this year so I could concentrate on ultras. Fantastic being out on the river early mornings with the kingfishers when it's quiet, & being in the gym with rest of boat evenings when it's when it's noisy though :)
    & I know I'm one of the 20%.
    But I'm still a shedload faster than the 99.999% of non-runners :) - & i think that's because I enjoy it.
  • Options
    Hmmm - cousin was doing gymnastics for Britain till age 15. Training 30hrs/week. Then she decided to stop. Now spends most of time clubbing & failing degree. Not sure this makes her happy either.
  • Options
    Tom I have done a fair few trail running events with an Orienteering slant and yeh I like navigational races as its something else you have to contend with other than running. To get a decent place in them you still have to be relatively quick you just also have to be quick and be able to map read and maKe decisions at the same time.

The only downer on the fixed course ones like say the round rotherham 50 miler is that on your first attempt those with course knowledge who have done it before have a very big advantage over you, that and nothing traumatises like taking a 2 mile detour on an already long enough race. :-)
  • Options
    themoahbird wrote "Prizes - extrinsic; weight loss - extrinsic; stress management - extrinsic; feeling of strenght and power whilst running - intrinsic; competition - intrinsic (with a bit of extrinsic); self-esteem boost - extrinsic; PBs - mainly extrinsic; feeling of wind in hair, sun on back - intrinsic; etc."

What about discussions/arguments whilst on runs with fellow runners? Intrinsic or extrinsic?
  • Options
    This isn't addressed to anybody in particular, but I just don't understand this business of plucking percentages and times out of the air.

Where's the evidence?

This kind of logic is all wrong:

x number of people run 80mpw of those x% can run a marathon under 3hours, therefore, x% of the population can run a marathon on 3hours.

The sample selects itself; I'm sure I don't need to explain why (coz I'm not going to!).

I'm calming down now...
  • Options
    Guz

"What about discussions/arguments whilst on runs with fellow runners?"

I prefer the didactic appraoch, myself. :)
  • Options
    Not sure about the extrinsic-intrinsic thing. eg weight loss provides intrinsic rewards as you run better (to a point).
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    JFB, I wasn't my intention to cause offence. My concern is with parents who impose the quest for perfection on their children without letting them have any say in the matter. I'm sure you would agree that there are many cases of young sportsmen being driven to train hard, rather then encouraged to enjoy themselves and develop at a natural pace. I hoped that the tone of my posting was one in which I was inviting Pantman to comment on how he as a parent balanced the alround intellectual and social development of his children with his desire for them to pursue excellence in some aspect of there lives. It cetainly wasn't an intention to critise his parenting - that would be grossly unfair as I know nothing of his family environment.

Pantman if you reading this, and were offended by my previous posting, I hope you can see where I'm coming from with this.

Incidently, I do stand by my assertion that you do come across as rather intense at times, but then so do I. I'm a nice guy too but a lot of people think I'm a right pain in the @rse.
  • Options
    "weight loss provides intrinsic rewards as you run better (to a point)."

Yes, it *provides* intrinsic rewards, but it isn't an intrinsic reward.

Actually, it provides both intrinsic and running related extrinsic rewards.
  • Options
    "I'm a nice guy too but a lot of people think I'm a right pain in the @rse."

Whereas I am a pain in the @arse and people think I'm a pain in the @arse... :)
  • Options
    JasonX wrote "The only downer on the fixed course ones like say the round rotherham 50 miler is that on your first attempt those with course knowledge who have done it before have a very big advantage over you,"

If you ever do the LDWA 50K and 100K challenge events, they stress the non-competitve nature of the event. Though in practice most of the runners (and some of the walkers) set their goals on finishing in front of as many runners/walkers as possible.
  • Options
    themoahbird wrote "I prefer the didactic appraoch, myself. :)"

..ah I see, you're keen to learn
  • Options
    "..ah I see, you're keen to learn"

:))
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    ""I'm a nice guy too but a lot of people think I'm a right pain in the @rse."

Whereas I am a pain in the @arse and people think I'm a pain in the @arse... :)"

Themoabird, are you implying that I'm deluding myself :-))
  • Options
    I stand by my claim that the number of people running circa 80mpw and can't break 3hrs for the marathon is very, very low. As for the potential number of people that could run sub-3 for a marathon, I still believe it to be much higher than the amount that has actually achieved it.

If you were to examine the training of any groups of marathon runners you will find that those with faster times have almost invariably run more miles than those who are slower. Not simply in miles per week, but the total number of miles run before running a marathon. The exceptions to this rule are few and far between.
  • Options
    "Whereas I am a pain in the @arse and people think I'm a pain in the @arse... :)"

Is this why themoabird is extinct?
  • Options
    Bazza - but that wasn't your only claim. You also said:

"I reckon that about 80% of the male population under 30 could run a sub-3hr marathon on less than 80mpw."

That is different. You cannot extrapolate from the sample of people running 80 miles to a conclusion about the whole population running 80 miles a week. It really is massively flawed logic for numerous reasons.

But I don't disagree with the correlations you suggest.

"Is this why themoabird is extinct?"

Actually, the opposite reason; themoabird was loving and trusting, and got eaten for dinner.