Options

Supersize Kids

Oh my god!

OMG! I couldn't believe Helen's mother! She stood there and said that they must have a "fat gene" because they eat everything in moderation. This is immediately after her daughter has said that she eats almost constantly, that she gorges on chocolate and crisps after school, eats dinner then goes to the shop in the evening for more rubbish to eat. When her dad came to visit I agreed with everything he said, and felt sad for him because he was so upset that his daughter was going to have gastric bypass surgery. I believe she could have achieved the same weight loss on a calorie controlled diet with exercise - plenty of other people have, but both mother and daughter are far too lazy and too busy blaming being "big" on their genes. Just made me grrrrrrrr!

But I did feel hugely sorry for the girl who had to have all her excess skin removed from her stomach after losing 8 stone. What a shame, to have to have that done and she's only 22. But well done on her for losing the weight before it did her some serious damage.

Next time I feel like scoffing tons of food, I will remember the inside of Helen's body, with the layers of fat coating her internal organs! Bleeeurgh!

Comments

• Options
    I really don't know what to say. I posted a thread (inevitably it was cazzed!) last week, about how the parents are to blame blah blah blah... Parents with big kids (unless they have a creditable medical reason to be fat), should be more responsible.
  • Options
    yep I watched it and was shocked to see that little six year old, she was over weight and her mum was still giving her chocolate! What!!

But yeah the skin on that girls stomach I was very shocked at that...

But Helen, she eats more in one day than I consume in a week!
  • Options
    I thought exactly the same, Twinklemel - I can't believe how little responsibility the mum was taking for her and her daughter's eating habits.

Good on the girl who lost all that weight through a healthy diet and exercise though. Shows that is the only thing that really works.
  • Options
    Coudnt believe the mother of the six year old who complained she wasnt able to see a nutritionist for a year so her daughter would just have to get bigger.
    Had she not thought of seeing their doctor,asking friends or going to the library if she was really too thick to work out that the junk food she let her daughter have was making her fat?
    Also felt sorry for the dad of the teenage girl, he was so right. Glad she lost some weight but will she be able to cope for the rest of her life? How soon before she liquidises Mars bars?
  • Options
    Anyone requiring a good sharp shock treatment should watch "Supersize me" this is a shocking insight into junk food namely the golden arches & should be enough to stop anyone wanting to not eat decent healthy food.3 lads that work for me usually make at least 3 visits a week to golden arches during lunch time's ,they have all borrowed the dvd from me & two of them are now 10 weeks junk food freeish!!
  • Options
    Jon, your thread did mention tiddies quite a lot, too, didn't it?
  • Options
    It did indeed. Male breasticles. I still don't understand how you can let a 13 year old get to 26 stone!

[wails]
    "BUT I DON'T LIKE BEING FAT!"

"We don't like you being fat either"

How simply LOVELY!
  • Options
    twas a touching piece of tv history...

<nods sagely>
  • Options
    This programme was heartbreaking - how many more kids are out there whose parents believe they have 'fat genes'? What rubblish! I could not believe their attitudes! I felt so sorry for Helen's father - he was so right about why his daughter had become so large, yet her mother was unable to see it. I'd love to have seen inside her cupboards, although I can guess what was in there.
    As for the mother of the six year old, did she have no brain? To do nothing for a year (except carry on feeding chocolate to her child!) because their was no dietician available was extraordinary! And even when she had been to the appointment, she was still picking up junk food in the supermarket.
    Well done to the girl who had managed to lose 8 stone - perhaps all young people and their parents should be shown the footage of the fat around her stomach!
  • Options
    I agree mountaingirl - I was thinking the same thing. Teaching about healthy eating at school should include footage of the mess she made of her body by being obese and what she had to go through to get her body back to something resembling what a 22 year old's body should look like.
  • Options
    Oh come on... The onus is on the parents to teach them about healthy eating, not the schools.
  • Options
    VoodsVoods ✭✭✭
    <lurking de-cloak>

I almost started a thread on this last night but held back because some of the things on the program have got me to do some quite serious thinking.

Some of it for me, was quite difficult to watch, especially the girl who had lost the weight and was having a full body tuck. Her attitude to life is very much like my own at the moment - I sometimes feel like walking up to people and having a rant at them when I see them walking down town with a pie in hand.

The other problem though is, I'm now going to be walking around and wondering who is staring at me cos they know about the secret folds of skin that haunt me. Certainly, most of the people I work with and my friends have known me for years and so know that I used to be 'bigger'. Must be those gene's eh?

I maybe shouldn't be saying this on an open forum as I haven't fully thought it out in my own mind. She took a very very brave step to have that surgery. Any surgery, no matter how trivial, is dangerous and to have such a lengthy operation (7 hours) to look 'normal' - I can only nod my head in approval and say "Go to it!".

However, would I be brave enough to take that step?
  • Options
    VoodsVoods ✭✭✭
    As to the other two people on the program.

I was quite shocked at the mother of the thirteen year old and the thing about it 'being in the genes'.

And when they were tucking into a massive trifle the week before saying about making the most of it because we'll not be having this ever after next week. I found that quite sad - if they weren't eating it in the first place, they wouldn't be thinking about the surgery.

The father was soooo right in what he said. I just don't understand how the girl couldn't see - what was the comment? "So, if I walk around for 24 hours, I'll lose weight" - in an incredulous voice? Of course you will.

You see, I feel quite guilty about commenting on any of this because I used to be like that. I was very very blinkered in my views and angry at anyone that made any sort of reference that I didn't want to hear about weight.

Right, back to work - still thinking on it though.

<lurking re-cloak>
  • Options
    Schools can try to educate the children but ultimately it is the parents who provide the majority of the children's food. Schools can give children all the right messages and information, but their parents can override it. I work in a school and have questioned children on the contents of their packed lunch boxes - two doughnuts and a packet of milky way stars! - the children know it's unhealthy, and can say what a healthy alternative would be, but say that 'my mum made me have it'. That's where the education needs to start!
  • Options
    I agree with most of the comments on here that the responsibility should lie more with the parents. At the end of the day being overweight is a health risk and one that costs the tax payer a great deal of money each year through the NHS. Children as young as 6 yrs old cannot be held responsible for being overweight as its the parents that feed them. At 13 more responsibility lies in the individual as they have a choice whether to eat junk food or not and are more able to go out and exercise.

With the Government removing competitive sports from schools and replacing playing fields with houses they are hardly encouraging the population to be healthy but the main blame goes to the parents.

In some respects feeding children junk food and causing health risks is a form a child abuse and the quicker this is realised and addressed the fewer children will have to contend with the issues addressed in the programme
  • Options
    Big Stew, that's an interesting point. If a child is underfed, that counts as neglect and social services would be in like a shot. But I've never heard of them becoming involved in a case of overfeeding / inappropriate feeding.
  • Options
    The thing that I find quite scary watching that last night was when the six year old was saying "I'm not fat" - honey, get a new mirror!!

I was stunned when the mum said she didn't know what to do to help her child, surely everyone really knows what to do in order to lose weight it's just down to whether we want to or not.

• Options
    I only saw the last 20 minutes of this, so sorry for the questions, but can anyone tell me - how did the girl having the skin removed lose her weight? Was it just eating well and exercising more? (Good on her, regardless.) Also was the skin removed on the NHS or did she have to go private?

Having seen some of the other points on this thread I am almost glad I didn't see the rest of it as I think I would have got very annoyed!
  • Options
    She lost her weight through exercise - she went to the gym every day for a year! - and sensible eating. She had to pay for the op -it cost £10,000, which included breast implants.
  • Options
    Thanks mountaingirl!
  • Options
    I'm waiting for someone to blame the Government. Who'll get the ball rolling?
  • Options
    I know that the responsibility for children's eating ultimately lies with their parents, but does that mean that it's never going to be the child's responsibility, so therefore we should not educate them about healthy eating?

Children can teach their parents a thing or two, you know, and educating the children just might have them pestering their parents for better food.

Also, these kids are the parents of the future, so if their parents are feeding them crap, they will feed their kids crap unless the government does its bit and educates the kids.

• Options
    I believe our children are the future. We should give them love and let them lead the way, and show them all the beauty they possess inside. We have to give them a sense of pride...
  • Options
    Twinklemel, I think you're twisting things somewhat!! FFS...
  • Options
    I don't think it's the government's fault at all - it is the fault of the parents and partially of the convenience food industry too, convincing people that ready meals are the way to go and that people needn't prepare and cook fresh food because ready meals are just as good - and nobody has challenged them properly on this.

BUT I do think the government has a responsibility to educate children about healthy food, and where it is responsible for giving children a meal, i.e. at school, then it should be as nutritionally balanced and healthy as possible.

If parents can't do the job properly, then I believe the government has an obligation to step in and try to rectify the situation best they can.
  • Options
    How's that then Jon? I'm saying that today's children are tomorrow's parents and if they are eating crap, their kids will eat crap. Unless someone steps in and teaches them something different nothing will change. What's twisted there?
  • Options
    First point - Parents should lead by example.

Second point - Yes, parents do have to pass the responsibility over, like everything else! Jeez...