Options

FRESH'N'LO Great Scottish Run

Comments

• Options
    Doh - that should read BY Hal Higdon, not BUT.
  • Options
    Can anyone advise me on working out distances for speedwork - I have been looking at the sub2,15 programme. Training for the marathon I based all my runs on time, then out of interest started measuring the distances by car. But how do you work out distances of 800m, 1200m etc? Do people generally do this on a running track or am I missing something obvious??
  • Options
    1 mile is equal to 1.6 km
    800m equals 0.5 mile
    1200m is equal to 0.75 miles

I do speed work but not on the track. I dont think the distance matters that much as long as it is roughly the distance you want, just make sure you use the same routes now and again so that you can check your rep times against previous sessions. You could try using lamp posts as markers or go to the park and use trees or park benches.
  • Options
    anrol - if you work for the council (or know someone who does) they might lend you a measuring wheel - dead easy to use. You need to get someone in the roads department! I could give you one but I don't expect you live in Argyll!
  • Options
    Thanks jaggyman - i should have been able to work that out! No lamp posts here but can work out some 1/2 mile markers I would think.

Mum on the Run - I do live in Argyll actually !
  • Options
    Hello one and all.Ive entered this years GSR so is it ok to tag along with you all? Im travelling up from Sunderland for the run which i did last year.I wanted to run it again after last years run was cracking.
  • Options
    Well that's me done my first week of my Asics training schedule - still struggling to find the motivation!

Off to Scotstoun this afternoon to watch the athletics so hopefully that'll spur me on!
  • Options
    Freckly,keep up the good work and you,ll reap the rewards at the finishing line.
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement Mick!

The athletics were good and it was nice to see Kelly one last time. Mind you it made my day when Jason Gardner stopped right in front of where I was sitting on their lap of honour!!
  • Options
    How is everyone getting on with the training? I did my longest run yet yesterday about 7 1/2 miles which took me 61 mins so am quite upbeat at the moment. Also found that getting my sponsorship form through has helped my motivation a lot.
  • Options
    Sponsorship - I forgot all about that!

Better go phone up MacMillan Cancer Relief pronto, and start getting all my victims, err sorry, sponsors! lined up.
  • Options
    Freckly-why did it make your day when jason gardner stopped in front of you????

Training is going champion at the moment BUT IVE GOT THE blackpool half marathon in 2 weeks,the mansfield half marathon on the 3rd july before the GSR!!! Nee Bother!!!!
    I am doing these runs for Breast Cancer Campaign.
  • Options
    Because he is lovely!!

My friend is trying to persuade me to run the Amsterdam marathon with her. It's on the 16th October. Is there really enough time to train for it?
  • Options
    Thanks for the recommendations on the training schedules, all! I think I will print a few off and compare them. I'm doing another 10k in a couple of weeks, and then I guess I'll start to build up my distance some more.
  • Options
    Freckly -I along with Mrs Jaggy are thinking of running Amsterdam marathon too, if you want to follow a 16 week schedule you should start on sunday 12/6/05,so if you are already training for the GSR then you are well on the way to doing marathon training.If you start marathon training now you will probably get a good time in the GSR as I was training for the Cardiff marathon last year and had a good time at GSR without pushing myself.
  • Options
    Jaggyman - The main thing I'm worried about it the number of times I'll have to run a week. My friend gave me a schedule and it has you running 6 times a week - I don't have time for that!
  • Options
    Freckly -Mrs Jaggy did London along with me this year running only once and very occasionally twice a week.She only did the long sunday runs every week and her only other real training was a couple of bike classes at the gym.I know a few serious runners and not many of them can fit in 6 runs per week, if you can fit in the odd hour here and there during the week and concentrate on doing the long slow sunday runs then you may well manage to do your marathon after all.
  • Options
    Freckly-thats sound advice from jaggyman.I did london this year and because of home and work I had to fit in runs when I could,not 6 times a week ploding the tarmac.Also listen to your body,if ya knackered dont risk going out,you,ll probably do yasell more harm than good.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Ditto Jaggy and Mick - there are very few schedules for first time marathoners that have 6 days-a-week training. No reason why you can't get round comfortably off 4 sessions a week, and get round less comfortably on less.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I went out for a 6 miler last night and had time to think! The most I can manage is 4 runs a week and had always planned to do a long run at the weekend.

Am going to take the rest of the week to think about it! Just need to decide whether I have the motivation to run for 4.5 hours!
  • Options
    Hey Freckly,

I'm doing the Loch Ness Marathon on 2nd October which is my first every marathon aswell! I've just recently started building up the mileage, but hopefully all the extra training for the marathon will stand me in good stead for the GSR in September. I've been doing he Polaroid Series 10ks and have been getting increasingly better times with each one, (the last one was 50:35 - woopee!) although I'm determined to get under the 50mins by the end of the series.

Like you, I can't fit in anything more than 3-4 runs a week, but am keeping everything crossed that the long runs at the weekend will be enough to see my through.
  • Options
    Freckly -i have found that commiting to doing the marathon (arranging somewhere to stay, travel,shall i run for charity- etc) is a lot more worrying than doing the actual training or the race.Once you start training you will never look back and although you will have times when you feel tired and cant be bothered it is all worth it in the end when you cross the finish line.
  • Options
    Shevs - I've done the Polaroids the last 2 years but this year I ran the women's 10k with a cold and it's taken me a few weeks to recover so decided not to run them this year. They are great for getting PB's.

Jaggyman - have you booked flights and accomodation for Amsterdam? I'd read on one of the forums about the race that there's a conference on that weekend in Amsterdam so rooms are a bit on the thin side.

I'm going out again tonight and I'll see how I feel after that. If I feel OK then I think I'll take the plunge and sign up.
  • Options
    Have not booked anything yet Freckly still waiting on Mrs Jaggy making her mind up.If she decides against Amsterdam i will probably do Cardiff instead because i did it last year.
  • Options
    Aye aye one and all.Hope everyones fit and well and enjoying this great weather.
    Off out tomorrow for a 13miler as preparation for the Blackpool half next weekend.If the weather stays like this I,ll have problems!!Best to take it easy and run in the shade.

Enjoy your weekends and speak to you all soon.
  • Options
    Well I had yet another terrible run last night. Am hoping it was a combination of the heat and the fact that I was at the dentist and my mouth was still a bit numb. Felt so ill when I got in.

Am relly feeling pretty down about running at the moment!!
  • Options
    Anyone planning on doing the East Kilbride half on the 26th?

The prospect of having the freedom of roads in East Kilbride is too good to miss!
  • Options
    I'll be there, spartacles. Using it as a 'judger' for Glasgow; see how much more training I have to do!!
  • Options
    Spartacles-sorry mate not for me.
  • Options
    yeah, am doing east kilbride, quite nervous, as have high expectation as last race (which was my first) went really well and dont think i can get near that time again.

anyhoo, still up for having a good run, and then after that its time to up the mileage for the GSR eek!

have entered now so no turning back, got £2 off entry at the edin marathin expo!