Options

FRESH'N'LO Great Scottish Run

Comments

• Options
    Yep i will be at the e.k. half just hoping to get round as fast as i can and without getting injured. Not setting myself any time targets will leave that for Glasgow half
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    I'm doing EK too. Or at least I think I am - haven't got my number yet.
  • Options
    I did the Great Caledonian Run in Edinburgh last month and fancied going for a half marathon so I signed up for Glasgow.

However, I've done not too badly in training so I've decided to enter the East Kilbride half. I'm aiming for something around 1:50:00.

I'm giving the East Renfrewshire 10k a go this Thursday - I'm told it's an uphill slog between 3 and 6k but I'm taking it easy so I don't empty the tank too close to the East Kilbride fun and games!
  • Options
    Spartacles i will cheer you on your way on Thursday as I am a steward at the 5 & 10k races in rouken glen park.

The race is pretty much all uphill for the first 6k or so although it is worse between 4 and 6k, so as long as you pace yourself properly you can make good use of the downhill part of the course and come storming home

good luck
  • Options
    That's good advice Jaggyman, thanks very much.
  • Options
    I've just been to the doc and have been told I may have tendonitus (sp?) in my right wrist. Does anyone know a shop in Glasgow that will sell a running belt that holds a water bottle? I've been advised to stop using my runaid bottle to see if this helps.

Thanks
  • Options
    Freckly - try greaves, tiso outdoor centre (nr buchanan street bus station)or there is achilles heel in the west end. Alternatively you can get them on line -loads of sites do them.

Small point though - if you are properly hydrated you do not need to take on water on a training run unless you are running for more than 1 hr.

I have a camel back that I use and generally only take it out if I am doing 10+ miles.

Anyway - hi folks! I have been wallowing in the depths of injury depression. My sacroilliac/pelvic injury reared its ugly head again (that is almost 18 months of continuos problems with it). Right sacroilliac imobile, right side of pelvis sitting up and foward, pain etc referring over to left glute and leg.

Hardly any training going on with runs at a max of 4 miles (instructed to stop when it hurts). I have a high pain threshold to begin with and also tend to run through pain. bad move.

Anywa, breakthrough this week. My pelvis is now sitting 100% straight and aligned for the first time in 13 years (I have always had a bit of a tilt since having my first daughter). The physio has managed what no osteopath thought possible! Not only that he has worked on the left ITB too and released it. It was so solid that almost all circulation had disappeared from it and it was beginning to form part of my skeletal mass - yikes!.

Anyway, first pain free run yesterday - 5 miles - in about 18 months and I am actually looking forward to this mornings run. If anything it was my right leg that tired before the left yesterday. Left leg just feels so much lighter.
    I am now allowed to start increasing my mileage , steadily and slowly and must stop the moment anything niggles.

Good luck with the belt shopping Freckly - you probably want a neo-prene one. They are the most comfortable. Before I got an mp3 player I used to carry my discman in a belt.
  • Options
    Freckly- if you are going to the e.k. half Achilles heel usually have a small shop set up selling various running equipment and accessories i am sure you could pick one up there.
  • Options
    Good news freefall bunny heres hoping you enjoy many years of pain free running now.I must say i admire you for running at all if you were in pain i stop at the first hint of pain(must be a wimp)
  • Options
    Jaggyman - no - you are sensible :0)

My problem is a bad combination of determination and the fact that my higher than normal pain threshold means that I have a tendancy to not realise that I am injured, because I describe things as niggles when in fact they are not.

This will be a gradual process I discovered. I had a 'niggly'run yesterday fo just under 4 miles. I was probably being a bit ambitious after the 5 on Friday afternoon. Plus as it was early morning that i ran yesterday there was not even 24hrs between the runs.

Not sure what i will do today. Any attemt at an aerly morning run has been foiled by my youngest wating to organise fathers day breakfast for Mr Freefall.
  • Options
    I will have a look at those shops - thanks.

It's a psychological thing with me that I need to run with water!!

Not planning on doing the EK half. Might do the 10K - will need to check when the closing date for entries is. Have heard it's a pretty boring course though.
  • Options
    Freckly - it is :o(
  • Options
    boring....

but flat(ish)!!!

I like flat ;0)
  • Options
    Just checked and the closing date was the 10th June. Oh well!

Might come and watch if it's a nice day.

Trying to get myself motivated to seriously start half marathon training this week. Just had a week's holiday so am hoping that will help!
  • Options
    Hi
    I've just had a week off after the Edinburgh Marathon and ran again last night. Felt good and looking forward to starting to run a bit faster now. I did the marathon totally according to plan, ie very very slow with a walk for about a minute each 10. By 22 miles I was feeling really good so ran hard from there to the end.(hard but still not fast !!!) Finished in 4hr46 which I am delighted with. I heard someone say at the start that it was just a 20mile warm up then a 10k - thought that was daft but it was actually very like that for me ! So here goes for the half marathon training. Will be trying speed sessions etc for the first time - gulp - I was quite enjoying just running as slow as possible !!!
  • Options
    Afternoon all-well done anrol in edinburgh,a good respectable time.

Got back on sunday night from doing the hottest half marathon ive ever done in my life,blackpool.It was awful to run in temps of 30degs.I was just glad to get around without the help of first aiders or ambulance crews!!I finished in 1hr54mins,my worst time for 2 years!!

But the weekend there was great.
  • Options
    anrol

I know exactly what you mean re- the marathon. it was exactly like that for me too. Real easy until mile 21 or so, then a struggle to keep going until the finish. Generally loved the experience and will def be back for next year!

In the meantime, the half for me in sept for glasgow too. Meanwhile, meanwhile.. got the corrieyarick to train for in 10 days!
    hazel
  • Options
    madgegreenbird
    hi - actually my marathon was not really like that - by running hard I meant feeling good and trying to go fast. Really felt I was flying up through the last 4-5 miles. Weird really. Sorry you found it tougher but Im sure you werent dawdling along for the first 20 like I was !!!
  • Options
    Hi All,

I just booked my place for the Great Scottish Run. Yay, this is my first 1/2, so very excited :D

Although I have East Kilbride on Sunday first; only the 10k though.

Michelle.
  • Options
    Welcome aboard seachelle.Its a cracking run in glasgow.Im tempted to wear my england t-shirt for this run,nobody will notice!!!
  • Options
    You might get a cheer as we pass Ibrox Park then Mick.
  • Options
    No problems with ibrox-I followed rangers for a year and a half in the eighties.Got some good memories.
  • Options
    Thanks Mick.

Yeah, everyone will love your t-shirt!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Dont have many good memories as far as Rangers are concerned but the ones i do have will stay with me forever.Mon the Jags
  • Options
    funny how these threads so often get round to football. Not that Im complaining - just a comment. Any ideas on how to get started again after the marathon? I planned a week off then staight into a half marathon schedule but just have not quite got round to it yet. Dont feel tired on injured or anything just lack motivation. Just have to get my shoes on and get going I suppose, Does anyone else have kids doing the junior run? I'd like to get mine involved but the start is awful early and it will be a lot of hanging around until I finish the half marathon. If its good weather I suppose it would be ok though.
  • Options
    freefall bunny - we have a hemiplegic baby wild rabbit (don't ask) we are hand rearing just now. Wonder if that is what happened to her ??!!**
  • Options
    Morning all-anrol,sorry about the football,its just in my blood!!I wont be wearing an england top-ive got my own t-shirt with "mick the mackum"printed on it,with the list of all my runs on the back for this year.Divvent worry about the motivation,just reset your goals and targets for glasgow and away you go.
  • Options
    I've just registered! Eeep!

Needless to say, this will be my first half. Longest distance ever so far: 6.5 miles, on Saturday.

Exciting stuff!

• Options
    dont worry birdwoman! i have only done 10k so far (3 times) starting to up the mileage from this week (hopefully)
    though now have PB of 54.08 from EH 10K!

have put down for under 2.30hrs but think i can do less than that!
  • Options
    thats my first ever race finished EK 10km. I finished in 51.14 which im well pleased with for my first race. Now i have to try and up my training for the half. Given my time for the 10km is 2 hours a reasonable goal for the GSR?