Options

The Runner's Arms. (Forum pub.)

Comments

• Options

Haven't read either of those, TP - are they about WW2?

I've started Before I Die, by Jenny Downham. Lots of plaudits and it's living up to them so far. I think it's written as a book for teenagers but it works as adult fiction too. I quite like reading children's fiction, actually. Different perspectives etc.

• Options

They are indeed both set in WW2.  I've read quite a lot on WW1 but am just moving into the next one!

I resisted the urge to raid Waterstones today.  I've 4 in the queue to read at the moment plus one non-fiction one which I'm picking my way through slowly as it's good but not exactly light reading.

Did you get any cd's?

• Options

No CDs, but I did get the DVD of Mamma Mia, which I had been hinting very heavily would be a very suitable present for AS to give me image

What about you?

• Options

No music either (well, I've bought everything I want recently) but also got Mama Mia dvd and the French & Saunders Farewell tour dvd.  We'd hoped to go but were away on holiday when they came to Aberdoom.

I also got a subscription to RW from a friend.  I had to break it gently that I'd been a subscriber for years and could I get another magazine instead. Nice though though.

• Options
    I got Mamma Mia too! Sat and watched it this afternoon much to B's disgust image
  • Options
    Hope you were singing along nice and loudly Kwilter image
  • Options
    My copy sticks image so we have to take it back, but we did lots of singing along till it got to the sticky point image
  • Options

Haven't had mine on yet - saving it for the New Year. 

Now the question is Treat or Nuff Treats Today?

• Options
    Big Mamma Mia sing along session chez JARS on Christmas night ! ( still not making eye contact with the neighbours ! )

Reading Sonia O Sullivan's autobiog

Tres good !

Just had last of the Christmas leftovers fried up in a giamt hash

washed down with bubbles!!

Life is good !

• Options
    We are saving Robin Hood Series two box set

til

at least tomorrow
  • Options

TP, you know I would always encourage you to indulge in retail therapy image

I am going to try and get myself a watch in Austria or at the airport...the "genuine fake" one I bought in Turkey gives me a shocking rash image

• Options

I am afraid that I have pushed the button and the gawjuss pink jacket is on it's way to me .... along with a half price purple t-shirt which snuck into the basket. image

I'm going to have to get serious about this r*nning milarkey now again this year aren't I?  Should I see if the entries for Amsterdam are open yet?

• Options

Well, TP, you can't take it with you, can you? So just spend it and enjoy it image

Are you doing Hamsterjam, then? Flat and fast!

• Options

'Tis the most likely option for an autumn marathon this year although I'd really like a summer one too but don't think the heat would agree with me so maybe I'll just settle for a summer of two or three halves .... and not in the footie sense.

• Options

Are you doing the Mick & Phil half? I thought I might do that as my pre-FLM half. Good cause and there will be loads of forumites there image

I haven't run for 2 weeks due to this rubbish coldy fluey thing...grr

• Options

I want to do it but it's a long way for a weekend.  I've looked at flights but with the added couple of nights in a hotel and probably car hire then it's not feasible for me with my Easter week and FLM supporting weekend coming along soon after.  That's the Inverness Half weekend too so I will probably do that instead.

I've not run since Luton plod.  Been tired and busy and I think I just needed a few weeks off.  Back first week in Jan all bouncy and raring to go .... and on the wagon too so should kick start the year.

• Options

Right, best get some food down me and then settle down for some undemanding tv viewing before an early night - up at very early o'clock tomorrow.

LD and her friend are having a drink before going out clubbing, so you can imagine the girly chatter in our sitting room! I reckon they will be staggering through the front door as we are leaving to go to the airport!!

And that's exactly as it should be, in my book!

So in case I'm not online later, be good, play nicely and see you on Tuesday (late) or Wednesday.

KKNN xx

• Options

Have a lovely time ST image  Will probably be away oop norf by the time you get back.

• Options

Have a great time ST

TP quick question I need to feed up Baxter as he's getting very thin (not eating all his food again) any ideas about tip-bits I can give him that aren't likely to kill him, as he's never had any before. 

PS must be soft not hard due to his u-bend in his esophagus.

I know your not a vet but I'm sure spending too much time in their company must give you an insight image

• Options

Trouble with elderly dogs is that weight loss can sometimes be an indicator of more serious issues so I'd say take him along and get him checked out and bloods done just to make sure there's no other problems.  Could he have toothache?  This would make him reluctant to eat and can be easily fixed (my old lad had a couple of extractions at the age of 13).

If he's got a digestive troubles then you have to watch what you introduce into his diet.  Nothing processed (will have salt in it) for sure.  Maybe some chicken poached in water or roasted to tempt him or some very well boiled rice (again no salt in the water).

There are special diets for dogs with digestive troubles which are light on the stomach - we use them after anaethetics - might be worth getting a few tins of them to introduce.  We use Hills I/D

Whatever you do, introduce new stuff gradually .... or you'll be needing that mop and bucket image

• Options

cheers TP

he's been to the vets and they have said there's not much they can do anymore without doing invasive test which he didn't recommend on such an old Bulldog.

So the tit-bit thing was just an idea I had ;-(

• Options

Did they do bloods? Or offer an ultrasound?

You need something high in calories which is easily digested so some of the prescription diet would be a good idea - I'll research it more on Monday when I'm back at w*rk.  Otherwise it's a case of finding something to tempt him to eat so poached chicken or plain browned mince (no gravy) with some rice might work. 

There are plenty to titbits for dogs out there - look in any pets at home - but if he's not been used to them then he might not find them that interesting.

• Options

No TP, no bloods or ultrasound I think he thought he'd be gone by nowimage

GM thinks we should have a tube put in a overnight feed him with /G's milkimage

• Options

Sorry GFC but that just makes me cross.  If you took your granny to the doctor you'd expect them to make some effort despite the fact she's 80 not just say she's old and send her home to waste away.

If you know what you're up against - be it liver/kidneys/tumours - then you have a chance of buying some more good time for the lad or at least knowing what and when the outcome is likely to be.  A night in hospital on a drip would perk him up no end so GM isn't that far wrong.

• Options
    Morning !

Poor Baxter! Hope you got him something GD.

Waves at ST as she heads to the airport.

I slept sooooooo well last night.

What about Dublin for an Autumn marathon TP !! ??
  • Options

Morning pub!

Another loooonng sleep for me.  I think I've spent about 75% of these holidays asleep image

Dubin I did considere JARS but it's on a Monday which makes it more awkward for my 'support crew' who will be coming to support though there are direct flights from Aberdoom to Dublin as well as Hamsterjam.

• Options

Evening!

I am sore in need of the comfort of alcofrol as I am trying to fix up my flash new telly.  I know it's not difficult and there is a very good instruction book but I just want to plug it in and for it to work .... NOW!  Non of the flaffing about tuning in and inputting PIN numbers.

<stares at screen willing it to work>

• Options
    The landlord is giving up drinking for January.
  • Options

The barstaff are doing the same!  Sweetie does it every year and this time I have decided to join her ... I have signed up on the Wagon thread.

Not January yet though ..... drink anyone?