Options

New York 2005 Superheroes over America

Are you running in the NY 2005?
If yes, then this is the place for you, GSOH is essential.

Comments

• Options
    Hello everyone, I hope everyone who posted on the original Superheroes over America thread has made it over here. Leave a message ASAP so i know you are here.

:¬D
  • Options
    Hiya,
    This is great cos if i hadnt found this i would have started my own thread. I am v surprised both me and my sister got places in NY through the ballot! Just completed my first marathon in Copenhagen 2 weeks ago in 4 hrs 16 mins hoping to better that and hopefully break 4 hrs in NY!
    I Know training runs for FLM were very well organised all around the country, does amyone know if there will be anything similar for NY - half marathons, 20 milers etc?
  • Options
    Hello RRR, well done in getting into the NY.That was a pretty decent time in Copenhagen so you should have a good chance of breaking 4 hours in NY. I dont think there are any runs in this country scheduled around the NY but there are plenty of good races in September and October so you shouldn't have difficulty finding one that suites your training needs.

• Options
    I went out for a few miles this afternoon, a lot of runners hate the sun and heat but i love it.

I've been looking for some 20 mile races for October and the only one near me is the Jog Shop 20 in Brighton which is x country. It takes place on the 16th October so 3 weeks before the NY so it would be an ideal run before tappering the training.

I shall leave entering until the last minute just in case i dont feel up for it.

• Options
    Hi peeps! Watched the thread get going and thought I'd add my name to the pot.
    Did FLM in'04 (3.56) and Paris this April (3.43). Working down the cities on my wife's carrier bags NY seemed the obvious next one!
    Luckily got through on the ballot.
    I'm told NY is not particularly fast so if I can get below 3.43 I'll be delighted.
    Just trying to maintain fitness at the moment running 10 - 15 miles/week. Try and get a bit more serious around July or August......promises, promises!
  • Options
    "London-Paris-New York"

It certainly has a ring to it. I think Del Boy had it on the side of his van.

I think the most difficult decision regarding the NY is what to wear. Looking at the runners crossing the bridge on the NY Marathon web site they all look pretty well wrapped up.Woolly hats and gloves everywhere. I expect we will have to make the the final choice the morning of the race.

An idea: carry a hot bagel in each hand at the start, and consume for energy as the race goes on. Probably best to avoid those salty ones.

• Options
    Have you done NY before, Superman? I think we can expect any kind of weather on the day as it is November. It would be good to hear from someone who has done the marathon before and knows what the weather is like. Anyone out there?
  • Options
    Hi guys

Ran this in 2004 ( the year Paula won) surprisingly wasn't able to keep up with her!

It is a great race - support is fantastic. Weather last year was very warm and sunny. By all accounts it can be very chilly so I was prepared for the cold waiting to start.

They bus you to staten island and I suggest that you prepare for cold weather with layers - you can always store it in the baggage trucks and collect it at the end of the race. If you can get coffee/tea before getting there as the queue was sooooooo long.

Anyway, good luck one and all and I am sure you will love it! New York New York - so good they named it twice!
  • Options
    This will be the first time for me. Thanks for the info jane.

• Options
    Hello All

Started training today with a bit more of a serious intent. Just about 4 miles over grass and pebble beach, not long but at least my dodgy calf muscles didnt complain.

4 minutes stretching before and after running plus ice packs seem to do the trick.

How the training going with you guys?

• Options
    Jane, thanks very much for weather info. Superman, I did a 10k here as part of my training programme and finished in just over 55 minutes. I'm happy with that as I've only been back training seriously for about 3 weeks now and my target for NY is to finish in less than 5 hours. Anyone else?
  • Options
    Jape, i was hoping to come in under 4 hours in the London in April but had a nightmare and did 4.38. I will certainly be hoping for a serious improvement in NY. Not sure about breaking 4 hours but hope to finish in under 4.15 which would give me me second fastest maratthon out of 8 marathons i've completed so far. I did manage to break 4 hours 10 years ago in the London........think i am getting too old for this lark!

I've got a 10k race in a couple of weeks, i'll be running with my 15 year old son so i have no idea on what time i will achieve, i will probably set us a target of an hour.

• Options
    Superman,

I'm back and I've found you!!

IT problems sorted now, plugged my new broadband in at home last night and it is great.

This week so far:

Monday Run
    Tuesday Swim
    Weds Cycle
    Thurs Rest
    Friday Run
    Saturday Rest
    Sunday Bike Ride 30 miler ~I think.

Base training for NY is starting hoping to see a Consultant about my lower leg next week.

BIG APPLE we are coming...............................

xxxxxxx
  • Options
    I too am looking forward to New York. London this year was a bit of a disappointment to me at 4h 18 mins but I underestimated the effect of the heat in the first half. I have an ambition to beat 4 hours before I am 65-(PB Dublin 2004 4hr 07 mins at 62) but I do not think New York is the place to try for a PB especially as I plan to run Loch Ness Marathon 5 weeks before NY. My wife says she married someone sensible 37 years ago but wonders what happened to me when I took up running at 60. Was I daft to take up running or has running made me daft?
  • Options
    Can anyone recommend any training races in the early autumn in the run up to NY?

Am getting in plenty of training and doing a race every fortnight at the mo. My approach is to get the mileage up to over 15 miles a session and combine this with some faster paced races.
  • Options
    David, you sound like a serious runner. What kind of time are you aiming for?

There are plenty of races around in September and October. I am eyeing up a 20 miler in Brighton 3 weeks before the NY. You can find out whats on via the runners world web site.

Welcome to the thread, keep on posting.

• Options
    Higo x, how are you managing to run with your injury? Let us know what the consultant says.

Christ, got to go to work, see yer all later.

• Options
    A Up,

just doing some shorter stuff off tarmac so the impact isn't to bad.

Going to do a tough 40 minutes in the morning, up side of Black Rocks which is a massive hill with a TV mast.

From my house I got to the top in sub 18 minutes in my FLM training, I'll let you know.

xx
  • Options
    Hello Higo, Sounds really tough, why are you taking a TV mast with you? tee hee!

Sounds like that run they did in the TV series "Band of Brothers"

The only hill near me is a grassy bank which i have been doing reps up and down on. One Rep takes about 12 seconds so i have got to do quite a few but it is better than nothing.

Talk to you all soon.

1,000 posts before the NY please.

• Options
    20 weeks and 2 days to go.

So 17 weeks and 2 days until the taper,

Thus 5 miles this Sunday increasing it by 1 mile per week....22 miles on week 17.

Simple.

PS don't believe a word i say.
  • Options
    Done the run.........nnnn19nnnnn19
    Yes 19.19 up back in 14.23 total

Hard Work man, it's so steep going up you can hardly run, but as ever I always keep running!! Got up there in 17.37 on Boxing Day although it was freezing and today it's warm I suffer from hayfever and summer asthma.

Anyway need to get fitter, leg feels fine.

C U all soon, got the invoice from 2.09 events today have you a fax number or shall I post a copy.

xx
  • Options
    Higo

Good run man,

I work for Royal Mail so i have to encourage you to use our postal service, anyway i have no fax.

Just going out for a run up my local incline, i will try and beat my pb of 11.2 seconds!

The Southdowns are about 6 miles north so when i get my fitness up a bit i will jump in the car and get over to them. I do enjoy hill running but prior to the FLM i was trying to protect myself from re injuring my calf, in hindsight that was probably a mistake. We live and learn.

Talk to you soon.

Love to everyone.

XXXXXXXXXXX

• Options
    Higo, it is good news that your leg feels ok.

Call me

SM

XXX
  • Options
    Hello all

Just finished a 5 miler, phew hot! felt more like 10 miles at the end. That was my official start of training for the NY. 20 weeks to go.

Watched my sister compete in the Royal Winsor Triathlon yesterday, 6.15am start! but considering the weather was not a bad thing. I have alway been put off tri,s because of the swimming part but after watching yesterday i think i will give it a go next year, the whole event looks like great fun.

I've done my work for today, where's the factor 15, garden here i come.

• Options
    Superman that sounds super, after London NY Paris then I'm going to do a tri, I agree the swimming is shite.

xx
  • Options
    The good thing with the Winsor Tri is that the water is shallow, no chance of drowning at least, some of the competitors were walking the swim! Roll your trousers up, Paddle,bike,run. Call themselves ironmen?

• Options
    Hi Everyone,

Did the hill run Sunday morning after a bbq Saturday and about 10 bottles of Stella and a 3am finish. I felt remarkably good, something to do with 3 annadin ibuprofen extra strong and 2 pints of water before bed.

Bearing in mind I went at 11am in blazing sunshine I knocked 3 seconds off the ascent and 3 seconds off the descent - as we have said before beer ain't that bad before a run.

Cycled round Carsington Reservoir Monday at 6.30am 8 miler which is a right b*stard and swum 20 lenghts this morning!

Superman are we in training for the the tri or the NY marathon.

I weigh 11 pounds more than the day before London however this is probably why:

Friday Night - 3 pints and Fish chips Peas and curry

Saturday Morning - Fry up at Morrisons with extra Sausage

Saturday Night - BBQ and Stella etc

Sunday - Full Sunday Roast to celebrate Fathers day.

No wonder I need to change my name to Hippo x.

My leg feels ok should see consultant next week.

NY we come.

Hippo x

Oh yes I need to mention this. My heart rate was high in London - and I reckon my DARK blue running gear just heated me up - take a tip from me wear light colours.

• Options
    have you seen the other NYC thread? - just 'boinged it
  • Options
    We are the #1 NY thread. Do not accept any immitations. We do not need to use unfair means to stay at the top of the "hot list"