Options

Henley Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    I've opted out of this and heading to Kingston 16 instead...easier to get to for me - and hill-free apparently! Good luck all :-)
  • Options
    Well done at Windsor, BK!

I managed a PB here last year in 94 minutes but injury in the summer has meant I'm only just getting back to full fitness, so I'm going to have a go at the fun run instead. Hopefully, this means that I'll get back in time for my b/f to finish - he has a half marathon PB of 70 minutes so hopes to be right up there at the finish. I'm not sure he's too keen on running up Fawley Hill though....
  • Options
    Thanks Susie, go on do the half, you know you want to.

Rob 1:17
    AA 1:36
    Forest Runner 1:37-ish
    BK 1:39
    Muttley 1:40-ish
    No Toes 1:45
    Mad Jonny 1:49
    Too Much Water 1:51
    Sol?
    SusieBee
    Run with the Force You Must
    Beginner
  • Options
    Well looks like I missed the online deadline, thought it was today - but alas it was yesterday.

I had a cold lastweek & didn't do any running during the week. So waited to see how I got on with my long run yesterday, before deciding to enter.

Entry on the day looks a bit steep @ 20 notes, so I may well sit this one out & do a quiet 13 on my own.

Good luck all.

Enjoy.
  • Options
    Well, my number FINALLY arrived last night but its not looking good after getting a bad cold and having physio treatment later this afternoon for a bad neck, ...that followed a trip to the quack last night who referred me.

Still, if fit, I would hope for my time below, but the chances of that are about 50:50.

Jeffsy (prov) 1:19:59
    Sol?
    SusieBee
    Beginner
  • Options
    After a PW at Windsor I'm hoping for a sub 1:40
    Jeffsy (prov) 1:19:59
    Ghengis 1:39:59
    Sol?
    SusieBee
    Beginner
  • Options
    I'm No 660 Ghengis if you see a four eyed, goateed runner on his last legs finishing near you.
    As I haven't got round joining Reading Joggers yet and I entered this race as a Road Runner I guess I'll have to wear the green once more.

You could run up each of the hills five times Jeffsey and still beat me

Good luck all, maybe see you there
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
  • Options
    After a solid 13.1m training run last night, in 1-25, its all systems go for Sunday! Woohoo!
  • Options
    Jeffsy, i didn't realise you were running this as well.

Coincidentally, I've just got back from the physio for treatment on a neck problem.
  • Options
    Weather forecast of 17 degress and cloudy
  • Options
    FR: I love it! I only pre-entered cos 20 notes on the day is a rip off!

I'll see you round and about, but I need to dash of sharpish afterwards to get to Southampton for 2pm
  • Options
    What's that for Jeffsy - a 10 miler somewhere in Soton? :-)
  • Options
    No, reporting on a football match :So'ton Ladies v Bracknell Ladies!

But you are right its the kind of thing I would do!
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Boing, to push this one up and make it easier to find.

Repeat after me - "I love that hill, hills are good for me".
  • Options
    morning, blimey you're up Muttley!
  • Options
    Just about managed my amended target of 1:51, crossed the line at 1:51:58.

I started quite badly, and had awful chest pains at 4-5 miles, and even considered dropping out. Fought through this as I crossed Henley Bridge for the second time, and saved my energy for the hill at 8-9 miles. The mile with the uphill took about 10 minutes, the mile with the very sharp downhill took just 7 minutes! It must have worked, as I beat my Windsor time by just over two minutes - great! Probably do this next year if I'm still living in Reading.

How did everyone else get on?
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    A splendid day.

The plan was to 8 m/m to about halfway, then step on the gas to finish in the low 1:40s. In the event did just that, to come home in 1:42:25 by my watch.

This was despite starting that hill with a quarter of a mile in the bank according to the Garmin - when I got to the top I was in debt already. Still, from there onwards it's downhill or flat so I made up the ground.

Weather conditions were perfect too.

Bumped into BK and family and TMW before and after, always a pleasure.

Drum roll and fanfare for TMW's new pb please! Well done that man.

Abingdon marathon next Sunday, here I come.
  • Options
    Managed my amended target of 1:37 and felt very comfortable doing it. I was a bit worried that I might have a problem as I badly stubbed the four little toes on my right foot last night. That didn't really cause me a problem in the race, but a stitch at 11 miles did, preventing me doing a possible sub 1:35.
  • Options
    Managed 1:15:40 (5th place). Very pleased with that! enjoyed the race, although got dumped by the lead group early on, managed to run the whole race on my own and was pleased the last 10k was mainly downhill :-)

N.B - Wasn't over impressed with the dog walkers down the river bank making is difficult to get past, but I guess we all have different priorities in life?
  • Options
    I remember seeing you TH! Well done!

I was 1-20-30, 12th place. Once again after Yateley I stayed with Ed Dodwell (RR) from miles 2-9, but my problem is DOWNhills, not uphills ...I just can't run them as quick as everyone else after achilles injuries and my over pronation, I slow myself up going down them! As it was, he lost me before mile 10 but I still clocked 3*6min miles to finish.

I am pleased, I still have a cold and this was my 2nd quickest half out of the 44 halves I have done, and 3 mins quicker than last year.

I remembered to clock my hill split. It was measured from miles 8-9, 7-35. Otherwise, I was nearly on 6 min miles all the way, passed 5m at 29-35.

Well done to the organisers though with a big field at a small venue this had possible disaster wrtten over it but they all did well, and it started on time.

• Options
    Trevor Hunter
    I remember the dog walking couple, they were just not budging of of that path !!!

Pleased with my run of 1-28-28 (1-32ish last year). This is my 2nd year running and am getting better each month. I love it. Well done all
  • Options
    Well done everyone! Sounds like you all had a fab day!
  • Options
    Pleasure was all mine Muttley.

Well done on that PB, TMW. Enjoy!!

Not one of my better races, went out too fast and paid for it on the hill (you'd have enjoyed seeing that Muttley). Walked for 10 yards at the top and am totally disgusted with myself. Finished in 1:38:19 so reasonably happy but a long way from my best.

Unfortunately owe 22LGM a pint on handicapped finish.

Small criticism is they need more toilets at the start but other than that no major gripes.

Enough said about the arogant Thames Valley green welly brigade and their faithfull hounds Rupert and Henrietta. That's what your elbows are for!!!. They're even worse when behind the wheels of their Discoveries.

Must go and post them back my chip now, silly me.
  • Options
    cheers bk - i went in to a changing room - no queue for the toilet there - obviously a well kept secret.

anyone else think the medal looks like chocolate money?!

• Options
    The Garmin showed exactly 13.1 and I came in at 1:45:20 so my own prediction was pretty close. My PB days are behind me now as I did this in 2003 some 9 minutes faster. I suggested to one dog walking couple that unless they and their dog could swim, that they had better move out of the way. I thought that the organsisation was excellent. Marlow anyone?
  • Options
    Marlow - have never been 'brave' enough!

Enjoyed Henley, despite the hill. The third time I've done it and my best time so far.

Only minor gripe - the loos or lack of. The water at the end was not that obvious either - I think the rugby club had reached its maximum capacity for the event.
  • Options
    The pictures are now online.
  • Options
    as are the results.

ranked in order of gun time, but with chip times and placings as well.